• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A moderator thinks they might want to quit.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
  • So here's a hypothetical for you.

A PC moderator posts a thread or a blog asking for advice. They think they might want to quit being a moderator, but they're not sure. So they want advice from the community.

You, you little rascal, don't really think it's necessary for them to leave, however you think you have a good shot at being considered as their replacement if they decide to leave.

Do you encourage them to go and look after your own interests, or do you do what you believe is right and tell them to stay?

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • It'd depend on how I thought they were doing. If I thought they were doing a dynamite job, I'd say "Nooo don't go! The section won't be the same without you!" Honestly though, I'd only be half joking, because I know people have lives outside of PC and if they feel that they don't have the time or energy to continue their mod duties, it's better that they resign, both for PC and for themselves.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    aww shining you don't have to quit :( dw it'll get better next april fools you should stay <3

...or something along those lines.

Homura Akemi

time is f o r e v e r~
    Years
  • Tell them that while they may have irl business to attend to, they don't have to leave their position. But, if they have to do it, then might as well be clear of distractions.

Reactions: Goo

Sirfetch’d

I would give the honest advice that I think is best for them. While I would in the back of my mind be thinking "oh i might replace them", it certainly wouldn't be motivation for me to tell them to quit haha.

Years
  • What's that? Mod position? If this were like 3-9 years ago I would probably throw the soon-to-be ex mod under the bus for that mod spot, hahaha.

Now I just tell 'em to do what they want. If you're miserable, ain't no use in staying. But if you're having second doubts, it's best to take some time off to think about it. DLoA don't exist for nothing!

Years
  • If you are seen to be giving bad advice to push them towards leaving, it will reflect badly on yourself and end up sabotaging your chances.

Also, surely no one is that desperate to be a moderator.

Skystrike

[i]As old as time itself.[/i]
    Years
  • If you are seen to be giving bad advice to push them towards leaving, it will reflect badly on yourself and end up sabotaging your chances.

But I am.

I will take any mods position in a heartbeat.

jk,..maybe

But seriously, I don't think I could handle a mod's job...mods are mods because they're suited for the job :/

Last edited:

Goo

Fiction is an improvement on life
    Years

People sometimes forget that moderating or having any sort of leadership position isnt just fun. Its compromising, effort, and responsibility. The perks (I can only imagine what you mods get up to on your private section knowing some of you...) are just a way to make the job worth it.

Anyone that desperate isn't thinking about the job aspect of it and certainly wouldn't be unbiased enough to handle people they didn't like who were posting on their section.

Years
    • Seen today
    I would tell them the same thing I tell everyone who's leaving.

That it's their decision and I won't try to influence it. They need to do what's best for them, and they should think about it long and hard.

But that being said, I've been someone who quit staff before and came back through a request for my spot back, and higher staff are pretty open minded in that regard. Especially if you (hypothetical you) did a good job during your past tenure. It's so sad when a great moderator leaves, and during my time choosing moderators, past moderators are always go-to people for candidates. So even if you do quit, there's a chance you can come back six months later from a request.

But Fabio is really right. Everything is looked at when a moderator is being chosen, and if they pushed someone out in public, it will be brought up as speculation in their promotion thread.

Salzorrah

[font=Montserrat][b][color=#66CC66]g[/color][color
    Years
  • I would tell them to stay. If we are talking hypothetically, I would think that since he/she was chosen as moderator in the first place, he/she is automatically "have more experience" than you, and if you really love the section, it's in the best interest of the section to have a great moderator with experience than a crappy wannabe imo

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I'd tell them to leave regardless if I want the position or not. If you're debating this so badly that you have to ask the community then you should know the answer... leave because you're putting a website a little too ahead of things in your life that actually matter. Lol and if someone really went out of their way to convince the staff member to leave because they wanted the position that badly then I feel pretty bad for you ngl.

People sometimes forget that moderating or having any sort of leadership position isnt just fun. Its compromising, effort, and responsibility. The perks (I can only imagine what you mods get up to on your private section knowing some of you...) are just a way to make the job worth it.

Anyone that desperate isn't thinking about the job aspect of it and certainly wouldn't be unbiased enough to handle people they didn't like who were posting on their section.

I think you think being a moderator is WAY harder than it really is. A 10 year old with some common sense and proper grammar could handle it.

Goo

Fiction is an improvement on life
    Years
  • I'd tell them to leave regardless if I want the position or not. If you're debating this so badly that you have to ask the community then you should know the answer... leave because you're putting a website a little too ahead of things in your life that actually matter. Lol and if someone really went out of their way to convince the staff member to leave because they wanted the position that badly then I feel pretty bad for you ngl.

I think you think being a moderator is WAY harder than it really is. A 10 year old with some common sense and proper grammar could handle it.

I wasn't saying it was a hard job I was saying it requires maturity and time. You have to be able to put your own biases aside sometimes and to nudge a moderator out so you can get in does not show an ability to be unbiased.

Years
  • Usually I'd give my two cents while leaving them to form their own opinion as I was never the type to convince anyone to stay; it's ultimately not my choice to make. Used to want to be a staff member fairly badly during my Art Gallery/Art & Design days but at this point really don't mind as I've already experienced being both a moderator and higher staff. You really do mellow down after being promoted even if it's something you've been dying for for ages!

£

You're gonna have a bad time.
    Years
  • I'm not 12 and what is this

If I was willing to take the time to offer my genuine thoughts to that person, the fact that person was leaving the staff would reduce my desire to be involved in such a team. 8D

I'm pretty sure most people grow out of the whole boning off an undesirable position thing after a certain age. The real question is why said mod has a poor choice of person to confide in.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • My advice to people who want to leave has always been to carefully consider where PC fits in their lives and whether it takes too much time away from more important things, like school/work/social/etc. As it would have it, that's pretty much the exact same thing I would tell someone if I wanted them to leave. Not that it was always the case! But it's very easy to appear objective about these kinds of things and put the slightest spin on your answer, making it appear either way that you want them to stay or you want them to go. :P

So yeah I'd definitely gently try to talk them into quitting, hahaha.

I suppose I should also say that I don't think it's right or wrong to consider quitting staff or to actually quit staff. More often than not when encouraging people to stay because I didn't want the staff to lose them, I felt like I was doing the wrong thing. :/

Kawaii Shoujo Duskull

The Cutest Duskull
    Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2023
    I'd just tell the mod that its up to them and to take the time to consider all the factors involved--some of which have already been brought up in this thread. I mean, if the want or need to quit then they should do it, but only if that's what really needs to be done or if that's what they really want.

As for trying to weasel my way into a spot? ... Nah. lol I don't even know how mods are chosen, and I don't know if I could really handle a job like that, whatever it might require. I just try to do a good job as a normal user here. So yeah really not sure how good of a moderator I could ever be ahahaha.
    Edit: Woohoo 200 posts. :D

Last edited:

Nathan

Blade of Justice
    Years
  • Bide. Say nothing. It'll sort itself out. If they leave and my name comes up, it is what it is.

This.
    Plus in the end, it's not my decision and I don't wanna influence it at all. Let destiny or whatever do its work.

Back