• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Alola Forms

Kameken

URYYYYYYYYY
Years
  • I like super saiyan blue ninetales and sandslash, but the coconut dragon makes me unconformable. And angry about the fact that we still don't have a proper grass/dragon pokemon, only alternate forms with that typing.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • Has it been confirmed that we need to transfer over the originals from Gen VI or the R(G)BY to get them? I think I read it somewhere.

One of the leaks says Arcanine becomes a water type. However this is either false or both forms can be found in Alola in one form or another.

In the small trailer shown during the Hong Kong Championships, a wild Arcanine is battling a Rockruff. Arcanine is obviously the same color and model.

In other words, take the leaks PokeJungle posted with a grain of salt. Either it is false, or it is true and both forms can be found in the wild.

Edit: The leak said they must come from older games, however this is already countered by the fact that these pokemon can be found in the wild.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 15, 2021
    I guess I'm the only one who doesn't like vulpix and ninetales' new design. They look like they need a good brushing. Work some tangles out.

I like super saiyan blue ninetales and sandslash, but the coconut dragon makes me unconformable. And angry about the fact that we still don't have a proper grass/dragon pokemon, only alternate forms with that typing.

Super agree about the Grass/Dragon thing. We need a real one. Base it off of snapdragons or something.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • One of the leaks says Arcanine becomes a water type. However this is either false or both forms can be found in Alola in one form or another.

In the small trailer shown during the Hong Kong Championships, a wild Arcanine is battling a Rockruff. Arcanine is obviously the same color and model.

In other words, take the leaks PokeJungle posted with a grain of salt. Either it is false, or it is true and both forms can be found in the wild.

Edit: The leak said they must come from older games, however this is already countered by the fact that these pokemon can be found in the wild.
    It's also possible that it was for demonstration purposes. The Arcanine was pretty low leveled for a wild fully evolved mon, even if it does evolve by Stone.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • It's also possible that it was for demonstration purposes. The Arcanine was pretty low leveled for a wild fully evolved mon, even if it does evolve by Stone.

That is true, but it could be QR Reader thing. In most cases, all pokemon they show in trailers can usually be caught in the region.

Also it is highly possible that Marowahk will have an Alolan Fire Type. It says that the Fire Captain uses one as his main pokemon.

Years
  • Aurorus got a neck buddy YAY!!! Exeggutor really caught me off guard with it's long neck. Who knew it would come back with such a powerful goofy appearance.

Now is the time for the sauropods to unite and take the long stands. Haha! I can't wait to put it on my team. <W <

Last edited:

Abby

#freecoffee
    Years
  • One thing:
    I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but the fire type trial captain has a marowak. I speculate that there will be an Alolan Marowak that gains fire type.

Years
  • Omg, what is this giraffe Execcgutor. {D:}

On the other hand having different Pokémon forms for a different region is a cool idea. We were first introduced to this in the Orange Islands saga on the anime. Um, and Ninetales would have been better with a Ghost or Psychic secondary typing, maybe the Alolan Ninetales is based on a different story

Years
  • There have been some interesting posts in this thread with the Jungle box art and Exeggutor pokédex entry, it seems the idea for this form might have floated around for a while.

Personally I hope they use this new idea to make some forgettable pokémon become useful in battle. Farfetch'd for example if they stick to Gen I. Pika clones if they extend beyond Gen I. Poison Pachirisu would be cool, it lures you in with a cute look and then hits you with the deadly toxic.

Just you wait.

I'm willing to bet Real, Legitimate™ Currency that Pikachu will get an Alola Form but through some "unexplained genetic restructuring" the Alola Form Pikachu cannot evolve.

Mark my words. It will happen.

Please god no :(

Alola form Pikachu would be cool, but I can't deal with Raichu being ignored again.

I wonder how they will deal with evolution. Vulpix needs a fire stone to evolve, I wonder if it will still need a fire stone or if something else will take effect. Having an Alolan Vulpix needing a Fire Stone would kinda break the reasoning for it being Ice. So I wonder what they plan to do.

This is also a very interesting point. The people who have suggested the same evolution method as Glaceon are probably on the right track.

Caaethil

#1 Greninja Fan
    Years
  • Didn't they already show Tauros in-game from July's Japanese trailer, and it just happen to be a regular Tauros?
    We still don't know if only the Alola forms with appear in game.

Maybe it isn't an Alola form, of course, but it certainly exists and is something.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I do think Tauros will end up getting an Alolan form. Considering it hasn't got any evolutions or mega evolution, an Alola form would actually work quite well for it.

Y2A_Alkis

Been there since day 1.
    Years
  • Welp. I was welcoming the new stuff they brought up to this point (especially the newly used design space regarding abilities, non-gym story, totem boss fights, etc), but the new Alola Forms struck a nerve.

I am more than ok with such forms in general, and Exeggutor is very well done. Changing only the secondary type, ability, and maybe stats. But giving old mons completely new types? The Sandshrew-line with Ground into Steel, well, ok, that's somewhat reasonable, I would've even be fine with Ground/Ice, but Ice/Steel? And Vulpix is just another piece of pie. How does a Fire mon change into Ice? It even evolves with a Fire Stone! Microclimates and all, but what the in the blue moon causes a such drastic change? I honestly can't wrap my head around it.

Hopefully I will get used to those forms until release, or I will have a very hard time enjoying the games :-/

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • Welp. I was welcoming the new stuff they brought up to this point (especially the newly used design space regarding abilities, non-gym story, totem boss fights, etc), but the new Alola Forms struck a nerve.

I am more than ok with such forms in general, and Exeggutor is very well done. Changing only the secondary type, ability, and maybe stats. But giving old mons completely new types? The Sandshrew-line with Ground into Steel, well, ok, that's somewhat reasonable, I would've even be fine with Ground/Ice, but Ice/Steel? And Vulpix is just another piece of pie. How does a Fire mon change into Ice? It even evolves with a Fire Stone! Microclimates and all, but what the in the blue moon causes a such drastic change? I honestly can't wrap my head around it.

Hopefully I will get used to those forms until release, or I will have a very hard time enjoying the games :-/

They moved to the mountain tops when they were brought to Alola so that they did not disturb the pokemon already in the Region. Over time, they have adapted and changed form. This is explained in the info on the main site.

Basically, it is no different than a normal animal or Eevee. Plus there is a such thing as Arctic Foxes who have changed because they live in cold and snowy climates. So it really isn't odd at all.

Y2A_Alkis

Been there since day 1.
    Years
  • They moved to the mountain tops when they were brought to Alola so that they did not disturb the pokemon already in the Region. Over time, they have adapted and changed form. This is explained in the info on the main site.

Basically, it is no different than a normal animal or Eevee. Plus there is a such thing as Arctic Foxes who have changed because they live in cold and snowy climates. So it really isn't odd at all.
    I very well read the infos on the website, thank you very much.

But no fiber of my body believes that a firebreathing Pokémon changes from breathing fire to breathing ice only because it lives in a snowy area. Fire and Ice are polar opposites (pun not intended). From the elemental standpoint this makes no sense. Evolutionary-wise or whatever you might call it, yes, it somewhat does. As I stated before, I am behind of such changs when they aren't as drastic/more realistic/logical.

Stuff I can get behind:
    - A Normal/Flying mon becoming Ground(+whatever) because it doesn't need to fly anymore.
    - A Rock becoming Steel (or similar stone-y type) or gaining an "elemental infusion" because of some kind of exposure.
    - Something gaining the Fighting type because it has to fight for survival in a rough neighborhood.
    - Something gaining the Grass type because it is soooo lazy in a new, comfortable area/space, it doesn't move at all anymore and therefore plants overgrow its body.
    - Something gaining the Dark type because in the new environment it has to hunt at night to survive.

Stuff that strikes me:
    - An Electric type becoming pure Water because it likes to swim and didn't have the chance before.
    - A whatever type becoming Bug because it starts to like eating flowers and honey.
    - A Fire type becoming Ice just because it snows.

Maybe the rux of the matter in my ming lies within the difference of gaining a new additional type/changing only the secondary type in contrast to changing the primary/both types of a pokemon.
    I hope I made myself more clear now.

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    If based on Delta species from TCG Alolan Pikachu would become Steel type same with his whole line.

MegaKuriboh

Yare Yare Daze
    Years
  • I hope GF will give some love for the 5th gen Pokes. I don't want all the Alola Form to be on 1st gen Pokes. Come on it's the 20th anniversary of the franchise and that includes gen 2 to 6.

I agree, we got ONE 5th Gen Mega, which was Audino (and it was a terrible choice). I'd like to see some new forms for my favourite mons like maybe a rock type Conkeldurr or a ground type Stoutland.

Years
  • It certainly is interesting. I'm not a big fan of it, but I am not opposed to something new like this. Gonna have to see what else gets this treatment.

MorganW

That Kid You Don't Like
    Years
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Exn0s6Dukmk

So take this video and replace every reference to the film North with Alola forms and you would get my opinion on them.

I wouldn't be so sour if it weren't more gen 1 pandering bull****, if the designs made any sort of sense, and they stopped beating around the bush and gave us more proper evolutions and/or tweaking the Pokemon to fit the current generation instead of redefining the same Pokemon over and over again. Honestly I could barely take them seriously.

I feel the same way. What is even the point of this? It's just an excuse for Game Freak to stop thinking of new designs and please the genwunners. They could have just made new pokemon but they got to lazy. I can see why they did this though. Have you seen some of the new pokemon designs? XD. I absolutely love gen 5 but I thought it had the worst starters but I think we have a new contender. Rowlet is pretty good so I won't argue with that. Forgot the water starters name but we allready have a seal evolution line. What the hell even is Litten? (Apart from a Cat).

I think Sun And Moon will be pretty good games but some of the new features are really bad or good ideas that were poorly executed but I'm hoping the full game can change my opinion but so far it won't be easy.

Last edited:

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • For those saying Tauros is an Alolan, it is the lightning that is changing its color, so that specifically is not the Alolan Form of Tauros. In the video, the Tauros is the same color but changes as it picks up speed for an attack or what not.

Besides that isn't a big enough change. The Alolan forms we have seen go through a rather drastic change. However, that does not in anyway confirm that Tauros is not going to get one. I am just pointing out that the one people have seen is normal from what I have seen in the trailer.

And it isn't just Genwunners, although right now it is mainly Kanto and I hope they expand. But they're inspired by the Delta Species pokemon. People have wanted these in the game. Same for the Orange Islands like set up. it has also been wanted in the game for a long time.

Back