• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Gen 3] Aron the World part 1: Hoenn Throw Down -- Emerald

SteCisGreendog

Iron Armour Forever
Years
  • Hi there, I'm SteC and this is:

36uLSpR.png

The Basics
    This is my first attempt at any kind of challenge in a long time. It's going to be a standard Solo Challenge with my boi Aron, but the main goal is to defeat every single kind of Pokémon from the regional Pokédex at least once. The scope of this undertaking will grow from clearing each successive version, region and eventually, generation with Hoenn Gen 3 as the starting point.

Path to Domination
    The regions I intend to play in order.

Hoenn --> Kanto --> Sinnoh --> Johto --> Unova --> Kalos --> Alola --> Galar --> Paldea

The Rules
    Detailed explanation of my playthrough in the spoiler box.

Spoiler:

Notes
    Some points to consider...
    This post serves as an introduction for my first travel journal with no regular posting schedule in mind. For the earlier games I intend to use only one hack to receive my Aron as a starter but otherwise, the games will be vanilla as ever. I also won't be stacking rules from other popular challenges until I get more comfortable with the games I've not touched in years. As for the Pokémon that can't actually be fought (Jirachi...?), I need to research on that some more. If there's a helpful database for not only catching but defeating every creature out there, I'd love to find out where they are, otherwise I'll be tracking my own data by hand. The determination is too strong!!

First part of Emerald is... coming soon!

SteCisGreendog

Iron Armour Forever
    Years
  • Chapter 1 - Heck You, Imgur

AcinbDq.png
    24FTpRB.png

Spoiler:

Last edited:

SteCisGreendog

Iron Armour Forever
    Years
  • Chapter 2 - Brawlhalla Awaits

AH4E5tK.png
    HffYeFZ.png

Brendan got beat at the cost of an additional reset for downing my Aron the first try. Plus my Pokédex stats at the beginning of this part of the game.
    Open the spoiler box to view the travel log for Chapter 2.

Spoiler:

SteCisGreendog

Iron Armour Forever
    Years
  • Chapter 3 - Chika Chika Boom Boom

iJglstg.png
    Route 110...hit it, Solo:

Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Jumped in to this at the latest chapter (Gen III tag and pun grabbed me), its one of my favourite Gen III 'mons that I've somehow never used.
    I would say options 5, 6, 3, and 1 in that order!

SteCisGreendog

Iron Armour Forever
    Years
  • Chapter 4 - Elementary Results

MOC5Bor.png
    Recap from my last chapter.

Old man Wattson had me beat, forcing me and Solo to toughen ourselves up a few levels. Deciding to explore the areas around Mauville City, I started taking names and cashing cheques around Route 117 'til I find something of worth.

Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I62uuYv.png
    Wanda? Who tf is Wanda?

I'll do you one better, why is Wanda?

I need to wash my hands of this affair. What better way to do that than stop by the Mauville Game Corner and 'win' a Mudkip Doll with absolutely no effort, among other ados. Then I realised something...

nRILNoi.png
    EGdJZFR.png

...my Mach Bike! I can use it on Route 110 to rip it up with a bunch of trained Magnemites and Voltorbs. How awesomely BORING that no other Pokes were considered for this trek, which brings us full circle to the city gym. Solo's getting ticked now. There's also some brouhaha at the end of the cycle path about a record being kept for how well I can ride at the fastest time without colliding. That's a first for me, actually. Don't spoil anything for me, remember!

Aha I used to love trying to beat the time with the Mach Bike. Apparently the fastest possible time is 9.15 seconds…given how long I spent on it, I'd like to say I got that but in truth I think I was at like 9.81

I'm considering starting up Emerald myself, just can't decide between a mix of 'mons I haven't used before (that also don't get Megas in the remakes as I still have them sitting un-playeD), and a full gimmick 'mon team (Kecleon, Slaking, Spinda, Castform, Plusle & Minun, perhaps Ninjask & Nincada) but fitting in a HM slave alongside a full team is a bit tricky. Every time I see that cute little sprite I think about adding Aron though, despite not fitting any of those criteria.

I read your full OP now and…wow. I don't have that level of commitment. Emerald was definitely the right game to pick though, as I believe with trainers the only Hoenn 'mon you'll not be able to defeat is whichever of Lati@s you don't choose.

SteCisGreendog

Iron Armour Forever
    Years
  • @Amore - I won't be able to fight both Eons? I'll be trying out Ruby/Sapphire later on to find any exclusives that were left out in Emerald. FireRed/LeafGreen will come next.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    @Amore - I won't be able to fight both Eons? I'll be trying out Ruby/Sapphire later on to find any exclusives that were left out in Emerald. FireRed/LeafGreen will come next.

No, you get a choice of which one (its not immediately obvious when it happens, so look it up if you really want to know). But you can get all three of Kyogre, Groudon, and Rayquaza plus the Regi trio. So if you're leaning towards a specific one of Ruby or Sapphire (iirc there's at least one version exclusive from each missing from Emerald so you would need to do both), pick the Lati@s that doesn't appear there.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Ah, I see. Thanks for the tip.

No worries! One more I remembered - if you have a RS save and get it far enough in to be able to Mix Records, do that with your Emerald save and you can get swarms of version exclusives. So you can tick off a couple more Hoenn 'mons with your first Aron :)

SteCisGreendog

Iron Armour Forever
    Years
  • Is the Mix Record compatible between roms and emus because that's how I'm running my save.

Also, next chapter is already in the bag. I'm giving it some time to stew first. :D

SteCisGreendog

Iron Armour Forever
    Years
  • Chapter 5 - The Buddy System

gox6X3u.png

Well hello there, my good people of PokéCommunity. We start this chapter with the sudden gridlock. 3 badges in, I realised I cannot go further without at least one HM to make progress. Solo needs a buddy - that's right, a buddy - and he needs one fast. And why's that?

Spoiler:

SteCisGreendog

Iron Armour Forever
    Years
  • Chapter 6 - The Water/Lava is Lava/Water

eaoXJXf.png

As usual, collapase the tag to reveal my latest antics.

Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I would absolutely have taken Mimic, just for the lulz as until you face a Dragon-type or Ghost-type boss its not likely an opposing Pokémon is going to use a move super-effective on itself. I figured you would have an alright time against Flannery, but I guess Steel making you neutral to her is a problem, huh? I didn't realise the goggles are after that battle, I might have trouble as I was relying on my future Trapinch to beat her.

You did better than me vs. Wattson, I did 10 resets and now I'm going to grind. Only got to Manectric once.

SteCisGreendog

Iron Armour Forever
    Years
  • Chapter 7 - NORM!

fzDcdi4.png

By 'seen', you mean as in 'beaten,' right?

Spoiler:

SteCisGreendog

Iron Armour Forever
    Years
  • Chapter 8 - Don't Say The 'S' Word

fvZ0sbz.png

The story so far... some idiot dyed the entire ocean a deep blue, and other stuff happened. Live from Dewford:

Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    It was Archie. Team Aqua took over the LIlycove Paint Factory and set it to pump straight into the sea!

Route 119 up to Fortree is - I believe - still the longest in Pokémon. Or at least the longest in a straight line, as Sinnoh has a couple with corners in them. I am very happy for team Grovyle, just evolved mine - Leaf Blade is an awesome animation.

Are you going to hunt for a Feebas back on that Route 119 before moving on?

Also just a neat thing you might not remember, Cut can be used to eliminate grass patches both long and extra long. A time-consuming but cheaper way of being undisturbed once you've beaten everything on a route than using a Repel. Also just kinda neat.

SteCisGreendog

Iron Armour Forever
    Years
  • Come to think of it, Route 119 did seem long to me, so much so I had to backtrack to a Center to heal. I believe this is where the Feebas can be found in that one tile in the sea but I could be wrong. This is just a blind run without strategy so I can be surprised.

Back