• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Cheating vs. Training

Shukawariosenpai

Pokemon Breeder/Completionist
Years
  • Would you rather cheat or let your pokemon gain experience through actually taking the time to train them? My sister would always cheat to get her pokemon leveled up and I'm the complete opposite.

Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2017
    Perhaps this should be moved to the Gaming section?

Personally; it depends on the situation.
    If I wanted to battle a friend who has a team of level 100's then sure, I might cheat in some of my own to actually stand a chance of beating him and to make it a fair fight... If I'm starting a new game and just want to play for fun then having high level pokemon is no fun at all.

Years
  • There's some definite advantages in cheating.
    While you're cycling around Battle Resort to get the IV spread you want, the cheater is out there training.
    While you're running around Hoenn getting the EV spread you want, the cheater is out there becoming familiar with the matchups.
    By the time you're finally able to get used to your new addition, the cheater has already gotten used to a full party of them, and you're just done preparing one Pokémon.

However, I personally feel that if I invest time into my Pokémon I will like it more. I will have browsed their bulbapedia page more often (a nice pasttime while hatching eggs) and read their smogon analysis, etc. I will have bonded with my Pokémon.

I've cheated my way through Black and White 2 on an R4 card. While it was fun and I had a blast, all my Pokémon were just disposables because it was just so easy to get them. I didn't bond with any of them. I wanted a Pokémon? I just ticked a box and started up my game. There it is. It was easy, but in the long term it made Pokémon in itself a lot less fun.

Crystal Berry

[span="text-shadow: 0 1px 0 rgba(0,0,0,0.12); font
    Years
  • To me cheating is like eating a lolipop instead of licking your way to the center. It makes things much faster and easier, but you're missing out on the fun of playing it fairly like everyone else. That's just my opinion.. I cheat sometimes but I'm not proud of it. :/

Blueredemption

Never stop exploring!
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Oct 16, 2023
    This has always been a "meh" topic for me... I mean there are things I definitely disagree with, like setting a Pokemon's IVs and EVs to max while i am chillin with my Mudkip eggs. Then on the other hand, I have grown to become accustom to the idea of cloning. In my experience hacking mons in general is bad for your interest as a player, hence why I stay away. As long as effort is put in at some point i can live with it, just don't be trading me no hacked shiny mew :/

i used to be completely against it, I have come a long way xD

Last edited:

Embernight

Dragon Tamer
    Years
    • Seen Apr 1, 2022
    I played with an Action Replay back on the Sinnoh games. It was a lot of fun walking through walls across the sea to get to Shaymin or catching lv100 pokemon like Lugia in the tall grass of the beginning routes in a Master Ball. Eventually, however, I grew sick of cheating in the game.

It was cloning that made me really appalled to cheating. I didn't like how there was no longer an 'original' pokemon after creating a clone. In a way, it made both duplicates seem like strangers (I know code wise they were identical to the original, but it still bothered me). Furthermore, my boxes soon became mixed up and I began to have trouble telling apart some of the cheated pokemon from the legit pokemon I started out with. And then there was my Luxray which I thought stopped listening to me because I used cheats to level it up. It was actually because I didn't have enough badges in the game I transferred her to, but it broke my heart as a kid...

I'm not a fan of cheating. It ruins the fun in actually playing the game and working hard to build a team. I can understand if it's to quickly get IV's to battle with friends and test out teams, but tbh anyone can cheat, regardless of skill level. I was 10 when I counterfeited a bunch of shiny and powerful pokemon. My brother did the same at the time, and he was even younger. Whenever I see shiny legendaries and starters caught in master balls on the GTS, I can't help but think that they're a product of a child who's proud of their skills gained through a gameshark or action replay.

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
    Years
  • If I do use cheat codes, it's either to walk through walls and explore the boundaries of the game, or get glitch Pokemon. I'm not a competitive battler so I don't raise Pokemon for fighting purposes. I just raise them cause I like them. I will admit though back when Diamond and Pearl came out I got Pearl along with an Action Replay cart. My god that was fun. I remember getting mad cause I had an experience cheat on and while my Glaceon was power leveling I had to go do something and left my brother with the game... He cancelled every move my Glaceon learned, and at the time I didn't know Pearl had a Move Relearner... I had to get to Snowpoint all over again. I also loved getting 999 of all the items and getting all the items in the Underground. Fun times man.

Back on topic I don't really mind cheating as long as things aren't blatantly hacked or unfair. It's no fun trying to slay a max stat Pikachu. But as for leveling up or getting rare Pokemon, I won't cheat unless under one condition, and that's if the Pokemon is unobtainable (like Celebi in Diamond and Pearl in the present day) and there are no glitches making the Pokemon obtainable.

Years
  • Even when I was younger, I always felt that if I was going to cheat in a Pokemon game, it would be to do things like walking through walls or cloning a Pokemon/items. Even though I had the ability to artifically level up my Pokemon, it was always more satisfying to do it in a legit manner rather than by cheating.

And since as AdamN pointed out, this is more of a thread relating to the games rather than the franchise as a whole, so I'm going to move this over to Pokemon Gaming Central for you!

MOVED.

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    Training! I don't see a problem if people choose to cheat but it just feels a lot better if I take the time and effort to grind rather than just mash A.

I have cheated a couple of times for levels but I think that was only once in Diamond? It didn't feel a whole lot like I was playing Pokemon though if I'll be honest. ):

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • Definitely training. I've never understood what makes people want to cheat in a game that you play just for fun :P The only thing I can imagine myself cheating for in Pokemon is to get shinies, but even then, I'd only go as far as RNG abuse--I'd never actually make an effort to get illegitimate shinies.

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    Honestly I'm cool with either, as long as the person doesn't try to use their cheating when battling others. Either way you'll be raising your Pokémon, and let's face it, training a Pokémon is time-consuming. However, when you do the training yourself it certainly feels more rewarding, doesn't it?

skyburial

Orca Hype
    Years
  • Now that I try to keep a finger on the meta's pulse, I can see the reason to cheat. Because when new strategies become popular overnight, it's not necessarily just a few quick move swaps that make your team viable again.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    In the past, I used to find myself cheating every now and again to get my Pokémon to a certain level. Though, now, training has become more easy, all thanks to the new Experience Share generation six has introduced, and because of that, I don't precisely cheat as much as I used to, if at all!

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
    Years
  • As a non-competitive player, I feel like I'd be fine playing against hacked Pokemon if they were using in boundary characteristics. No need to go overboard on it. There's also the fact that people can hack any Pokemkn and just trade it away, which isn't good. Also, if I WAS into the meta game, I'd rather cheat in liable Pokemon, or at the vry least 5-6 IVs for myself. I'd only trade them if someone was ok with it. I have no time for competitive training, so all the changes like bans and such would be annoying for me to follow.

But I'm not saying I'm against cheats. When I was younge I loved cheats. I never had an AR or GameShark so I played emus with cheats on, and if I felt like cheating a Pokemon in or catching a trainer's Pokemon, then I would never dream of trading them anyways. And I also look up cheats all the time for mhmy younger brother. He has a Gold game with a shiny Mew on it and he's more happy about that than any other Pokemon I've gotten him(except maybe that event shiny Rayquaza). I also believe that cheating so you can obtain an Event like HGSS Celebi time travel event then it's fine. I would have loved to see those events but I never got the games on time. So long as if you're gunna trade them you say "hey I got this one this year despite what the date on it's card says cause I didn't get that event" so the other person knows.

On the topic of TRAINING VS CHEATING, it depends. On cartridge I'd rather train them, but on a random rom I'd rather cheat in the rare candies like, at the League or something, I'm not good at training honestly. ^-^U

However if it's just a game you have no interest/way to trade up anyway or don't care, like a Red Rom on emu or something, then I'm all for whatever cheating/glitching you want. You go and walk through walls and get yourself a Mew buddy, it's alright. Catch your Rival's starter, just do it. It's fun and exciting when done right, even ny brother constantly wants to look up glitches/cheats, I couldn't care less.

And about not feeling like Pokemon are as special as others if you cheat them in, if I cheated in a shiny Eevee(as I've done before), I'd love it just as much as others in that game. I've played games that were kust a bit too hard for me so I leveled up most of the game on Rare Candies, and I love those teams just as much as teams from other non-rare candied teams.

pkmin3033

As someone who doesn't play competitively, I don't cheat for perfect/shiny Pokemon. I've used an Action Replay device for other reasons - like getting the GB Player right at the start of HGSS for nostalgia's sake, unlocking Challenge Mode immediately in Black 2 so I can play through the game with it, and getting event Legendaries or event items that are impossible for me to obtain otherwise due to lack of availability - but never for actual Pokemon I could get through other methods, be it catching wild or trading for with one of my other versions.

Training is a huge part of the game for me, so taking shortcuts would spoil my fun...asides from Black, I've never found training to be tedious. If I took shortcuts training, I'd finish the game within a day, and I like to pace myself when playing Pokemon games. A large part of the way I do that is through training my team.

However, if I WAS to start battling online, I would almost certainly cheat, because I lack the patience to painstakingly craft perfect Pokemon. It's tedious, monotonous, time-consuming and boring. No doubt it's satisfying when you're finally done, but for me the satisfaction wouldn't be sufficient for the hours I'd put into doing it, especially considering the results aren't guaranteed in breeding and things don't really pay off until you're done; there is little in the way of satisfaction to be gained from progress, which is important too - I like feeling I'm reaching my goal in increments, rather than flailing in the dark until I'm done.

So long as you don't break the game with impossible movesets, stats, abilities or whatever else, I don't see the issue with cheating if you're playing competitively - it lets you battle that much sooner, and you're not hurting anyone with it.

The whole point of any game is to have fun. If cheating to get a decent team helps you enjoy yourself, why not? As long as you're not interfering with anyone else's fun, who cares?

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Training all the way. I never see the appeal of cheating your way up the levels, it just takes away a huge portion of the game for me. Creating a strong team and levelling up your Pokemon is half the fun.

Reactions: Sun

Sliter

Gaijin Trainer
    Years
  • well cheating make the game about training monsters and fighting your friends with to just the battle part :p
    I think cheating to beat the game easier or have fast the team something that killed the game (I just gave up to ply competitively since cheating is this easy and stupid that you can do even not knowing how to play :p other way stuipd because you are making teams based on some search, what someone did or researching things that someone did/explained, no your way at all... well idk
    "Cheating" Is only good to get things like events that passed or something you could never get alone like that awesome korean special pikachu lol

Frozen Lotus

Shay's Ice Prince
    Years
  • Ideally, I'd rather train them legitimately. But let's be honest, training Pokemon for competitive use can get tedious after a while, especially for someone like me who uses a LOT of different Pokemon. Eventually, you just kind of get tired of it and would rather cheat your way in. It's not like it gives you an advantage, it just... cuts the middle out and lets you actually play the game.

Back