• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Clean up in Wonder Trade?

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    I hate hearing people call any pokemon garbage pokemon, I mean, seriously, who are YOU to decide what I should consider good or not? Sure Bidoof are common in X and Y, but there's absolutely NONE in ORAS, so if I wanted a Bidoof, why am I not allowed to get one from wonder trade because some elitists decided that it's a garbage pokemon so no one should be allowed to have one unless they buy X or Y?

For that matter, why should we expect to solely get 5IV, perfect, battle ready pokemon with smogon approved movesets from Wonder Trade? How is that any different than using the PKHEX cheat or getting a Power Save? You're still trying to get a perfect pokemon with no work involved. I loved getting that first Wurmple from Wonder Trade when Pokebank first went live in Japan (as it wasn't available in North America), I didn't care that it was just some random level 1 pokemon with no IVs, I can breed myself to get the nature and spread I want. I wonder Trade my breedjects (multiple IVs, Egg moves, and/or hidden abilities if applicable) but why does everything that gets traded on wonder trade need to pass your criteria of what is good or not?

Can you not think about other people for that matter? I know when I first got the game the very first day I wonder Traded a Pidgey I got in Y on the very first route and got some cool pokemon from later in the game (don't remember which one right now, could have been a flabebe, could have been a Gollett, I genuinely don't recall) but it was exciting because it was the very first time I ever did that and it was exciting to get a pokemon I had never seen before randomly through wonder trade. Why is no one else allowed to get that little bit of excitement until they reach the end of the game and are only catching or breeding "good" or rare pokemon based on what you deem should and should not be allowed? Think how exciting it is for a little kid who maybe this is their first time playing ANY pokemon game gets to catch a Scatterbug, wondertrades it and gets a level 1 Gible and they play through the game and it becomes one of that kid's most used pokemon and they develop a fondness for this randomly acquired Gible that someone else didn't want and they keep it for a good long while out of sentimental attachment, who are you to decide that they don't deserve that little bit of fun and enjoyment out of a game designed to be fun and enjoyed by it's players because you decided that a Scatterbug is garbage? How about use wonder trade not as a one stop shop to only get the best of the best of what you deem is good pokemon and use it as it was intends when you rarely get something good, it's more meaningful than if you always get something good.

Migit78

Pokemon Master
    Years
    How do we feel about Wondertrading Eevee's?
    I've been breeding for a Eeveelutions team, except I've bred for all 9 possibilities, cause I cant decide what I want my team to be.
    I havent finished yet, but still have like 130+ spare eevees with 4-6IVs, just didnt have the nature, or the sex, or pokeball I wanted. (Yes im being that fussy)

I hate hearing people call any pokemon garbage pokemon, I mean, seriously, who are YOU to decide what I should consider good or not? Sure Bidoof are common in X and Y, but there's absolutely NONE in ORAS, so if I wanted a Bidoof, why am I not allowed to get one from wonder trade because some elitists decided that it's a garbage pokemon so no one should be allowed to have one unless they buy X or Y?

For that matter, why should we expect to solely get 5IV, perfect, battle ready pokemon with smogon approved movesets from Wonder Trade? How is that any different than using the PKHEX cheat or getting a Power Save? You're still trying to get a perfect pokemon with no work involved. I loved getting that first Wurmple from Wonder Trade when Pokebank first went live in Japan (as it wasn't available in North America), I didn't care that it was just some random level 1 pokemon with no IVs, I can breed myself to get the nature and spread I want. I wonder Trade my breedjects (multiple IVs, Egg moves, and/or hidden abilities if applicable) but why does everything that gets traded on wonder trade need to pass your criteria of what is good or not?

Can you not think about other people for that matter? I know when I first got the game the very first day I wonder Traded a Pidgey I got in Y on the very first route and got some cool pokemon from later in the game (don't remember which one right now, could have been a flabebe, could have been a Gollett, I genuinely don't recall) but it was exciting because it was the very first time I ever did that and it was exciting to get a pokemon I had never seen before randomly through wonder trade. Why is no one else allowed to get that little bit of excitement until they reach the end of the game and are only catching or breeding "good" or rare pokemon based on what you deem should and should not be allowed? Think how exciting it is for a little kid who maybe this is their first time playing ANY pokemon game gets to catch a Scatterbug, wondertrades it and gets a level 1 Gible and they play through the game and it becomes one of that kid's most used pokemon and they develop a fondness for this randomly acquired Gible that someone else didn't want and they keep it for a good long while out of sentimental attachment, who are you to decide that they don't deserve that little bit of fun and enjoyment out of a game designed to be fun and enjoyed by it's players because you decided that a Scatterbug is garbage? How about use wonder trade not as a one stop shop to only get the best of the best of what you deem is good pokemon and use it as it was intends when you rarely get something good, it's more meaningful than if you always get something good.

So uhm... Not really sure who you are targeting with that comment since I called Zigs, Pooches, etc. ''crap'', while the thread maker called them ''useless'' but...

No one in here is arguing that it is completely wrong to get those kind of pokemon (Wurmple, Poochyena, Pidgey, Wingull, Zigzagoon, etc.). People commonly label them crap, etc. since they will rarely win any serious in-game/online battle and will most times be replaced with something better *hence why they are always the ones being wondertraded*.
    Nor is anyone saying that breedjects shouldn't be WT unless its perfect.
    And useless is defined on how THEY ARE NOT USED generally.
    Your argument for example, on the lack of Bidoof in OR/AS is no where connected on the topic if it is useless/garbage/crap or good, and I am thinking about other people hmmmmmm... I think that if they are specifically looking for a pokemon it is common sense to instead look for them in GTS, it will be easier that way in all manners, why the unnecessary 'hardwork'.

But what is one of the topics being argued here is that the problem with the majority of WT-ers ACTIVELY SEARCHING FOR PERFECT POKs/LEGENDS/MYTHICAL, depositing CRAP pokemon in their wake.
    Crap pokemon HAS been defined in this thread before as the commonly starter route pokemon such as Poochyena, Zigzagoon, Wingull, Wurmple, Scatterbug, Pidgey, etc. BUT to be fair... Gardevoir/Gallade/Ludiculo/Vivilion/Pidgeot can kick ass~ Maybe Mighthyena too if one revises their team well. But that's not what are being REPEATEDLY traded here.
    WHO THE HELL EVER SAYS A GIBLE IS USELESS?! Your argument points is mixed and mashed on things. You imply that Scatterbug is not garbage but you wondertrade it off and instead gets a Gible that you use instead, then defend yourself by saying ''who are you to decide that they don't deserve that little bit of fun and enjoyment out of a game designed to be fun and enjoyed by it's players because you decided that a Scatterbug is garbage?'' . You have to revise your points here. They are not forever gonna keep it at that, but evolve it... So yes, Scatterbug is garbage.

Secondly, you are very concise on your experiences, stating that you LOVED THE FIRST TIME getting the foreign*different game/different country* Wurmple, etc. but the question is that did you equally love it for the second time, third time, 20th time? *Yes, I will go that far since I am expecting you love to WT.*

There is no set criteria, but what needs to happen is that the hardwork*hatching/breeding* of other people *breeders* should not be repeatedly exploited by people actively looking for a quick way out of training, having already 2-5 IVs/EM/HA, etc. on them... So IS IT NOT ALSO LIKE cheating *not saying it is* if a player keeps actively searching for these at the start of the game, having already multiple Lvl. 100/legendaries/mythicals even before the first gym or before the national dex is unlocked ?

Finally, what would you prefer?
    The previous atmosphere in WT whereby people mostly DO trade BREEDJECTS/pokemon only available further in the game*or only on another game* rather than those Wurmples, Pooches, etc. Or do you prefer this days where you will most commonly get them USELESS pokemon. One of the key icons of your argument is based off on excitement which will soon dissipate after they repeatedly get the same types of USELESS pokemon. Because THAT'S WHAT PEOPLE DO TODAY to ACTIVELY LOOK FOR MYTHICALS/LEGENDARIES/PERFECT TRAINED/HIGH LEVELLED/LVL 100 pokemon. So YOU ARE ARGUING FOR SOMETHING THAT KILLS THE ENJOYMENT.

Oh and Smogon sets is good but, if you notice they are limiting possibilities in pokemon. Sets there is to counter other pokemon sets with already ''programmed'' IV/EVs/Moves, this is especially magnified when the general public don't bother going through damage calculations themselves. So they either always go to smogon or do vanilla sets of 252/252/4. So to reflect the nature of one of your questions, for example; Who says that Dialga shouldn't learn Roar of Time for competitive aspects just because it's not considered by smogon? Because I can tell you now that an Eject Button/Timid/ Dialga w/Roar of Time still catches people off guard when I use it, especially if its on Trick Room with a bulky Quiet Nature since I can most times KO them as a mid/late-sweeper while being a semi-status absorber *cannot be poisoned, burn attack decrease is not effective and paralyze further hasten Dialga*.

Yes, smogon is not compulsory sets but if the general public at most times use it, it might as well be called compulsory.

So to conclude, no one in here is saying that starter route pokemon shouldn't exist in WT, but should be far less... There is no criteria... No one in here is saying that there should only be perfect pokemon in WT... If one is looking for a specific pokemon GTS exist for that... YOU SERIOUSLY HAVE TO READ THE OTHER COMMENTS BEFORE COMMENTING... And finally... YOU HAVE TO REALLY REVISE ON YOUR POINTS OF ARGUMENTS.

*Not sure why 3 people liked when the comment did not make sense*

And Smogon shouldn't be classed as the top, ever. But originality should. It's only when the sets in there is not followed will a player actually have the potential to be an ace, since there is no predictability.
    I mean this is exactly why Japanese people are good since most of them don't understand english in that extent, so therefore they're not limited by such sites and if you are curious there is no Japanese website that is entirely devoted to giving out EV spread, etc. Plus, Se Jun Park was able to beat the metagame since no one ever expected a Pachirisu(nor the sets of the other pokemon he was running with, MoonBlast AND Dazzling Beam Gardevoir/Overheat & Quick Guard Mixed TalonFlame), there wasn't even a set on PAchirisu at that time in Smogon, nor was Super Fang ever taken seriously by the general public before it. The metagame exist because there is predictability on Usage/EVS/IVS/Moves.
    You may argue about some people not supporting Smogon, but it's the rules they don't agree with, not the sets they give out on people.
    The only viable/useful point you had is that it is more meaningful to get good pokemon rarely.

Last edited:

Laguna

Sir Zangoose
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Aug 31, 2016
    Pretty much the entire premise around Wonder Trade is that you don't know what you'll get, so if you're angry that you don't get a "good" pokémon every time then you're missing the point. Honestly, if you don't like what you get, just Wonder Trade it again, there's absolutely no penalty for doing it.

Pretty much the entire premise around Wonder Trade is that you don't know what you'll get, so if you're angry that you don't get a "good" pokémon every time then you're missing the point. Honestly, if you don't like what you get, just Wonder Trade it again, there's absolutely no penalty for doing it.

But you do know what you will probably get is the problem... One of those starter route pokemons.
    And wonder trading it just loops the cycle, so while you should instead reduce it, you are adding more to the clutter, plus the other people again catching then depositing crap pokemons.
    And no one is angry about not getting good pokemon every time. Its the masses of players depositing crap pokemon hoping for mythicals/perfect/lvl100/legendaries after the PkHex scandal is what is bad.

So this is the root of the problem why WT is full of starter route Pokemon or just unwanted Pokemon which repeatedly is thrown back to WT.

Last edited:

Mimikyu402

Flareon Master
    Years
    I just release any bad mons i get and only trade away rare or good ones

just a side note I have also completed the national dex in gen 6 but not by using pokes from others the only pokes I have are ones I caught or breeded myself over the years from gen 3 and forward to I transfered

Last edited:
    I just release any bad mons i get and only trade away rare or good ones

just a side note I have also completed the national dex in gen 6 but not by using pokes from others the only pokes I have are ones I caught or breeded myself over the years from gen 3 and forward to I transfered

Taking on the challenge of releasing all crap pokemons taken from wondertrade is meaningless.
    Pokemons like Zigzagoons, Poochyena, Wurmple, Fletchling, etc. are infinite in the wild.
    Even if you have 5000 players going for the same clean up project, it will never beat the other million(s) players, especially to take account that people within your group will not be all so devoted and will likely only spend about 20 mins worth of WT before they get bored and do something else.

Well at least you're still trying to make a difference... But the hope on getting mythicals/legendaries/perfect/lvl 100 from those who cheats still from not updating is what increased the number of crap pokemon in WT.
    But I hope you are not doing hardwork just for you to WT it to people~

Years
    I'm not really bothered by getting basic pokemon, but it does get rather annoying when that's all you'll get for like 20 consecutive WTs. Of all my WT-ing I can honestly say the only standout pokemon I've received were a shiny Jynx (of which I already had), but more special to my heart was a perfectly bred lvl. 1 Onyx with a metal coat (which consequently made it evolve just as I was getting it, and which I am thankful for because my sister's DS is broken and I would have had to wait longer to get a Steelix). I mostly use WT to get foreign pokemon and pokemon with good IVs so that I can use them to breed, otherwise I don't go in expecting shinies, legendaries, or pokemon holding evolutionary items. That way when I do get one of those it just feels more special.

Years
    ok chill pills are needed here lol

wonder trade is awesome, and honestly unless it from another country i release the pokemon that i see too many of. i agree to some ppl a certain one we don't really like could be heir favorite not their fault it gets put in so early in the game.

WT is helping with my dex I've gotten some really cool stuff no legionnaires or shinys but I'm not expecting thattfink my favorite was last night when i received a phantup and it evolved into trevenant its a fun thing
    I've been breeding zorua for a while now and have many that don't have the stats I'm looking for but they have several Perfect IV's so I'm sending those out all created by me so not fake.

i think if someone wants to clean up some in WT is a good idea if you wanna help out thats fine if not thats fine too

BakingBluePotatoe

The Red Death Alchemist
    Years
    The other day I worked hard to evolve an whole box worth of Pokemon. Got mostly junk in return, but I did get a Female Dreamball Frisk Sentret! and a Bisharp, and a few other things I didn't have.

Gonna take some of the leftovers and evolve them and do it agian, other's I'll keep as fodder/item holders or for the lottery.

Years
    • Seen Dec 1, 2016
    This thread inspired an experiment. I put the next pokemon I caught on WT and kept putting whatever I got back on. Here is my chain:

Foongus (this is what I sent to begin with)
    Gastly Lv 1
    Luvdisc
    Gible Lv 1
    Wingull
    Seedot Lv 1
    Feebas Lv 1
    Tepig Lv 1
    Sneasel
    Noibat Lv 1

I liked the look of Noibat. I had never seen one before so I kept him for my party. Starting again with a Klefki I caught:

Klefki
    Fletchling Lv 1 3IV (according to the markings on the summary)
    Klefki (not mine)
    Absol
    Solosis
    Ralts Lv 1
    Lotad
    Whismur
    Linoone (called Derp) with Potion
    Meditite
    Eevee Lv 1
    Unown

I kept the Unown. It's tough trying to get all those letters!

Those chains look pretty good to me. Maybe WT suits casual players like me who have not seen all the Pokemon yet. There were a few times in these chains I was tempted to stop and if I wasn't doing the experiment then I probably would have.

I use WT quite a lot. If a Pokemon I don't want jumps out of the grass I often catch it just to put on WT straight away, especially if it is something like a Haunter that will evolve for the recipient. It doesn't matter what I get back because I didn't want the thing I traded in the first place. Sometimes I wonderchain the ones I don't like. Sometimes I don't bother.

I think this is the spirit WT was intended to be used. Just a bit of fun rather than something "useful". It's just a game after all.

Nidorina of Time Lord

Waiting for the Sun to come...
    Years
    to all who posted in this thread:
    I am actually very regretful concerning the creation of this thread. My initial idea was futile and I had no idea this would get so heated. This mainly started out as a personal goal. Little did I know this would lead to arguments. I think we should just drop this entire subject. In the future I will refrain from this kind of activity.

My apologies,
    Electrizard

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
    Years
    to all who posted in this thread:
    I am actually very regretful concerning the creation of this thread. My initial idea was futile and I had no idea this would get so heated. This mainly started out as a personal goal. Little did I know this would lead to arguments. I think we should just drop this entire subject. In the future I will refrain from this kind of activity.

My apologies,
    Electrizard
    It's not your fault. Some people just get heated over stuff like that. In the end, Wonder Trade is a lottery. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you get extremely lucky, and other times you don't. It's all dependent on luck of the draw.

Years
    • Seen Dec 1, 2016
    Don't feel that way. The thread was interesting for me to read through and gave me the idea for my experiment above.

As a Pokemon newbie, maybe I can share why I think there are so many starter route Pokemon. In AS, my first run through in any game, every Pokemon was precious to me. I didn't understand the value of them so I didn't want to risk loosing a good one. I remember specifically going to an early route to catch some Zigzagoons and Poochyenas I was happy to trade. This seemed safe for me. I was overvaluing my own Pokemons while being wary of the unknown nature of WT.

Now in X on my second run through of a game I realise all the Pokemon I have caught are worthless. Worthless because there is not enough time in the day for me to use them all, worthless because I can easily go and catch them again and worthless because they have random stats. Maybe there is a 4/5/6 IV in there somewhere but that means nothing unless I check them and it's far too tedious to check them all.

I'm still not happy to let go of legendaries! However I can see that after this runthrough I will have some duplicates. I'll have more when I play OR and Y so I'll probably throw some on GTS to help finish off my pokedex. I might even throw some on WT. But right now I'm not at that stage.

Unfortunately, there are far more people on their first run through than anyone else. This will always tip the scales in favour of starter route pokemon.

So, what can you do when you get a Zigzagoon from WT?

You can be happy that you gave a (probobly) newbie a good experience in the game. They'll enjoy the better pokemon. In a small way you might have helped them realise it feels good to share. Maybe they'll become valuable members of the community or maybe in a small way this might even translate to more important aspects of life for them.

Nidorina of Time Lord

Years
    You're a newbie to Pokémon too? Thank goodness I'm not the only one! Practically everyone here has been playing the games since Red and Blue. The first game I got was OR, that was for Christmas.

Anyway at first I thought WT was so exciting. My first trade? An Oddish nicknamed for a level 30 Pikachu that apparently had been traded multiple times before.
    Man, I thought Pikachu was so cool until I got up to the Safari zone.""

bluestars83

Your friendly neighborhood Ace Trainer :)
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 6, 2016
    You know, i love WT. Yes i'm constantly getting the aforementioned Zigzagoons, Ralts, Wurmples etc, but on the rare occasion i do get pokes not in ORAS so i can get my dex filled up(which i REALLY want to complete as i want the shiny stone). I know there's a fair chance that any legendaries or perfect IV shiny pokes could be hacked but, if you get one you'd be rather chuffed. I got a Regigigas, Celebi and Phione through WT. I traded the Regi off for a 'obvs' Jirachi though. Also received a perfect 6IV shiny Tauros through WT.
    I mostly use WT though to trade off my breedjects, Bulbasaur being the current supply. Some are 2IV some aren't, if anyone wants one you're welcome to one :)

Nidorina of Time Lord

Years
    I've got Shinies in WT about 30 times, no joke. And I've also received Victini, Arceus, Multiple Latia and Latios. Shiny Entei, Suicune and Mewtwo.

Someone gave me a weirdly named Regice that I'm gonna WT because I can't find a home for it

Nidorina of Time Lord

Years
    I've got Shinies in WT about 30 times, no joke. And I've also received Victini, Arceus, Multiple Latia and Latios. Shiny Entei, Suicune and Mewtwo.

Someone gave me a weirdly named Regice that I'm gonna WT because I can't find a home for it

Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2022
    It would be kinda nice to have Pokemon organized into something like tiers. For instance, harder to get Pokemon like legendaries could be in a higher tier, and easier Pokemon to obtain like a Bidoof or a Zigzagoon would be in a lower tier. You would only be able to receive Pokemon from the same tier as the Pokemon you trade. That way, you won't trade something like a Rayquaza and get a Magikarp (I know Gyarados is really good, just needed an example). This system isn't perfect, but it would certainly make Wonder-Trading much better.

Back