• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Computer making sounds?

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    For some reason today when I turned my computer on it made a heavier pitched sound every now and then. Then it would return to normal for a while and then make that sound again. Any idea what it is?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I'm no good with computers, but I think the computer you're using may be a bit old and a bit overused.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    I'm no good with computers, but I think the computer you're using may be a bit old and a bit overused.
    My computer is pretty new. I bought it last year. It could be overused, but I don't think thats why its making the sounds.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
  • Could it be the fan?

I'm not great with computers myself but i had a problem with my old desktop. I took the cover off, took it outside and blew air through it and that sorted it out.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    Could it be the fan?

I'm not great with computers myself but i had a problem with my old desktop. I took the cover off, took it outside and blew air through it and that sorted it out.
    Thats what I think, but, I don't know how to take the cover off my computer. :/

Ficher

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2012
    There can be many causes to a noise for any computer, so you might want to try this link, and check what's the problem. Most likely it's your fan, though.

Years
    • Seen Jul 4, 2015
    Its more than likely the fan catching on something, try and look inside to see if you can see anything.

Years
  • Well, describe it better for us, please. It's probably just that one of the fans is turning on for a while and then turning off. Also, open your computer and check for dust inside the case, and then follow this guide if it's dusty. Be careful not to spray any canned air into your power supply, as that may fry it.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    It stopped making the sound, I guess it was because of the CD in it.

Also, just a question, when I started downloading things today they're taking a quite a lot longer time then they usually do. Is it because of the site I downloaded the thing from or something?

Dooonerz

@JackDonnellyy
    Years
  • It stopped making the sound, I guess it was because of the CD in it.

Also, just a question, when I started downloading things today they're taking a quite a lot longer time then they usually do. Is it because of the site I downloaded the thing from or something?

There might not be much memory left in the computer, or you could clear out your computer (recycling bin, internet folders ect.)

Ficher

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2012
    Your download is lagging? Then it's probably that your Internet connection is slow. It might be because of the site/upload site, yes, but have you tried downloading from a different source?

Years
  • It stopped making the sound, I guess it was because of the CD in it.

Then it was your CD drive spinning while it was reading the CD.

Well, what kind of connection do you have? It potentially could be related to you hitting the download cap that your ISP has in place, but I doubt it because of how much downloading that would involve to hit most caps.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    Your download is lagging? Then it's probably that your Internet connection is slow. It might be because of the site/upload site, yes, but have you tried downloading from a different source?

I use Rapidshare, hotfiles and MU which it usually goes at a decent pace, but now it has become really slow.

Then it was your CD drive spinning while it was reading the CD.

Well, what kind of connection do you have? It potentially could be related to you hitting the download cap that your ISP has in place, but I doubt it because of how much downloading that would involve to hit most caps.
    I have a WPA connection (router) What do you mean ISP and Download cap?

Ficher

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2012
    Download cap as in download capacity, I think. Maybe you reached your download limit. How much data can you download per month or is it limitless? I think he means that. ISP mean your Internet Service Provider, you know that host that provided you the Internet. If you reached your download limit, chances are you cannot download anymore data or the download speed will slow down a lot.

And maybe you are downloading too much at the same time.

Years
  • Spoiler:

EDIT: Someone got there first

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    Download cap as in download capacity, I think. Maybe you reached your download limit. How much data can you download per month or is it limitless? I think he means that. ISP mean your Internet Service Provider, you know that host that provided you the Internet. If you reached your download limit, chances are you cannot download anymore data or the download speed will slow down a lot.

And maybe you are downloading too much at the same time.
    Theres a download limit? So if I'm using Vonage, theres a download limit?

I download one thing at a time tho.

Ficher

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2012
    I am not familiar with Vonage, though I know some who use it, I think yes. When you bought and subscribed to Vonage, weren't you given an account you can access? I'm pretty sure most ISPs do that. You then can log in to your account there and check if there is a download limit or whatever: http://www.vonage.com/?login&refer_id=WEBHO0706010001W I hope it's allowed to link there.

Other than that, wait for someone who knows better.

Back