• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Approved] Fortune Cup

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
  • I had a few thoughts for new stuff:

1) considering adding double battles to the mix? (maybe extra coins to participants)
    2) Make it sorta themed (ie. Celadon Game Corner, or just Game Corner in general). The mini-games are inspired by this (ie. Voltorb flip - flip a card, get a prize or something).
    3) have the ability to evolve pokemon? (costs coins to do so?)
    4) Daily coin bonus to those who use certain themes of pokemon (ie. Kanto Pokemon = 1 extra coin for each)

Years
  • I had a few thoughts for new stuff:

1) considering adding double battles to the mix? (maybe extra coins to participants)
    2) Make it sorta themed (ie. Celadon Game Corner, or just Game Corner in general). The mini-games are inspired by this (ie. Voltorb flip - flip a card, get a prize or something).
    3) have the ability to evolve pokemon? (costs coins to do so?)
    4) Daily coin bonus to those who use certain themes of pokemon (ie. Kanto Pokemon = 1 extra coin for each)

Honestly, all really good ideas. Maybe not the last one just because there's too much random chance involved in team construction. But I like the idea of being able to pay for an evolution instead of an entirely new mon if you want. That's a good idea. Theming the mini-events around game corner games is also a cool thought.

As for doubles? I'm down to try that out this year too.

Basically... Anything Goes Doubles but with all the usual OU clauses in place? Usually megas, dynamax and Z-moves are all options, but perhaps we want to limit it to having to choose between a mega or a dynamax? Or we could just not have any of that stuff at all this time.

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • Honestly, all really good ideas. Maybe not the last one just because there's too much random chance involved in team construction. But I like the idea of being able to pay for an evolution instead of an entirely new mon if you want. That's a good idea. Theming the mini-events around game corner games is also a cool thought.

As for doubles? I'm down to try that out this year too.

Basically... Anything Goes Doubles but with all the usual OU clauses in place? Usually megas, dynamax and Z-moves are all options, but perhaps we want to limit it to having to choose between a mega or a dynamax? Or we could just not have any of that stuff at all this time.

I think that's how it does for the doubles, yeah.

For megas, z-moves, and dynamax... it could be a bit more special, yeah - maybe things like mega stones can be awards, and people can choose only one pokemon they have that can mega evolve to have the ability to during battle, or, maybe an event where things go outta control (the eternatus stuff at sword and shield) and for that day only, people can dynamax. For Z-moves, maybe a special day where people sign up for a mini game where they get a random Z-move, and for 1-2 days they can only use that Z-move.

Years
  • I think that's how it does for the doubles, yeah.

For megas, z-moves, and dynamax... it could be a bit more special, yeah - maybe things like mega stones can be awards, and people can choose only one pokemon they have that can mega evolve to have the ability to during battle, or, maybe an event where things go outta control (the eternatus stuff at sword and shield) and for that day only, people can dynamax. For Z-moves, maybe a special day where people sign up for a mini game where they get a random Z-move, and for 1-2 days they can only use that Z-move.

That wouldn't really fit with doing game-corner themed events. Plus it would mean people potentially had to change their team comps per event. So I think we either need to say from the start you get X or we don't do them at all. I'm thinking just each battle you can have 1 Z-move and one of either a mega or a dynamax.

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • That wouldn't really fit with doing game-corner themed events. Plus it would mean people potentially had to change their team comps per event. So I think we either need to say from the start you get X or we don't do them at all. I'm thinking just each battle you can have 1 Z-move and one of either a mega or a dynamax.

It was just an example. And, I wouldn't worry about them changing team comps too much, people have been kinda doing that since day one. Fortune cup has been all about adapting to situations.

But, I'm not too opposed to the idea - I'm kinda leaning more towards they get only one of either or, since Z-moves can get just as powerful at certain times, but that's just me.

Last edited:
    Years
  • But, I'm not too opposed to the idea - I'm kinda leaning more towards they get only one of either or, since Z-moves can get just as powerful at certain times, but that's just me.

I'm not sure about this one. I think by virtue of being longer lasting and having more simultaneous benefits, Dynamax and Megas are definitely more powerful than Z moves.

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • I'm not sure about this one. I think by virtue of being longer lasting and having more simultaneous benefits, Dynamax and Megas are definitely more powerful than Z moves.

Mmm, well it's fine in that case then.
    Do you have any ideas for mini events? Also, I think the draft for the FC is somewhere, we can post it here, and start drafting it with the new stuff o:

Years
  • Mmm, well it's fine in that case then.
    Do you have any ideas for mini events? Also, I think the draft for the FC is somewhere, we can post it here, and start drafting it with the new stuff o:

Not yet, but I do like the idea of using game corner stuff as inspiration. So I'll take a look at the various game corners for ideas probably. I'll also see if I can find the FC from last year so we can use that as the base for our new draft.

Years
  • Mmm, well it's fine in that case then.

It maybe worth considering the Pokémon Stadium minigames, or things like Magikarp Jump's minigames for inspiration as well!

Like the idea of adding Doubles and making it themed too. This is a long-running event so I think until I see the newer additions fleshed out, the event is fine in my eyes to go ahead.

The only thing I will ask about is how you're going to go about the actual battling. I ask as I believe some feedback about the event was adjusting coin amounts etc for inter-team battles, as I think something needs to be done to try and take people away from just doing that all the time, but obviously don't want to completely gut it and then no one plays as a result of timezones etc. I understand that it's somewhat on the teams to be organising but something like this you can really just be unlucky and have no one around at all, which is not great both ways, so at least limiting the amount means people still get something out of battling anyone, but it's not something that can be abused by say pinging your team chat and getting 10 of you on for 20 minutes harvesting coins off one another.

Are there any adjustments on the radar and if so, what?

Years
  • We could easily enough bump the reward for beating someone on the opposite team. Perhaps remove the consolation reward for losing to someone on your own. That'd deal with that well enough.

Looking into Stadium minis and stuff from mobile games is also a good shout.

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • Hmm how much more?
    Battle people from opposing team - 10 coins per win/5 per loss?
    Same team - 5 per win/0 per loss?

Years
  • Hmm how much more?
    Battle people from opposing team - 10 coins per win/5 per loss?
    Same team - 5 per win/0 per loss?

This is a good system, because at least the whole team is not benefitting from just battling each other, as those losing won't ever progress.

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • Before I start and finish the draft, just one more question,

I mentioned double battles, but should the whole tournament be double battles? Should there be room for single battles too, or should it alternate (doubles one day, singles the next)?

Years
  • Before I start and finish the draft, just one more question,

I mentioned double battles, but should the whole tournament be double battles? Should there be room for single battles too, or should it alternate (doubles one day, singles the next)?

Let's just stick to doubles only. It'll make things a bit different compared to previous years and will keep things from getting fiddly.

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen yesterday
    I'll add a Fortune Cup format to PC's Showdown server with the following rulesets: 'Standard NatDex', 'Sleep Clause Mod', 'Species Clause', 'OHKO Clause', 'Evasion Items Clause', 'Evasion Moves Clause'. Standard NatDex includes the usual stuff that all the National Dex formats have: 'Obtainable', '+Unobtainable', '+Past', 'Sketch Gen 8 Moves', 'Team Preview', 'Nickname Clause', 'HP Percentage Mod', 'Cancel Mod', 'Endless Battle Clause'. Also, it'll be doubles.

Here's the banlist: 'Moody', 'Sand Veil', 'Snow Cloak', 'Bright Powder', 'King\'s Rock', 'Lax Incense', 'Razor Fang', 'Quick Claw'. Could also ban Arena Trap, Shadow Tag, and Baton Pass, but I figure those aren't as egregious. Feel free to suggest any changes.

Back