• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Approved] Fortune Cup

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen yesterday
    I'll add a Fortune Cup format to PC's Showdown server with the following rulesets: 'Standard NatDex', 'Sleep Clause Mod', 'Species Clause', 'OHKO Clause', 'Evasion Items Clause', 'Evasion Moves Clause'. Standard NatDex includes the usual stuff that all the National Dex formats have: 'Obtainable', '+Unobtainable', '+Past', 'Sketch Gen 8 Moves', 'Team Preview', 'Nickname Clause', 'HP Percentage Mod', 'Cancel Mod', 'Endless Battle Clause'. Also, it'll be doubles.

Here's the banlist: 'Moody', 'Sand Veil', 'Snow Cloak', 'Bright Powder', 'King\'s Rock', 'Lax Incense', 'Razor Fang', 'Quick Claw'. Could also ban Arena Trap, Shadow Tag, and Baton Pass, but I figure those aren't as egregious. Feel free to suggest any changes.
    Never mind, we'll have to use the main server unfortunately.

edit: Gen 8 Doubles Ubers is the closest alternative on the main server. Just keep in mind that only Pokemon in Sword and Shield can be used and Dynamax is allowed. Megas and Z-Moves are not included.

Last edited:

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • Never mind, we'll have to use the main server unfortunately.

edit: Gen 8 Doubles Ubers is the closest alternative on the main server. Just keep in mind that only Pokemon in Sword and Shield can be used and Dynamax is allowed. Megas and Z-Moves are not included.

Is it because the PC server is now closed? D:

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • I usually run the Fortune Cup for about 1 week; I feel that's a good sweet spot to keep the interest going, but, any thoughts?

The Fortune Cup: Game Corner Double EXTRAVAGANZA!
    Fortune Cup

Welcome, welcome, welcome to the Fortune Cup, where victory equals a healthy payday and defeat means scrabbling for spare cash! The Fortune Cup is a different breed of competition that your typical OU or RU tournaments, it will primarily test your luck and your ability to make do with what you get. Though of course, the wealthier you are, the more you can twist the odds in your favour.

In this installment of Fortune Cup...
    ...All battles will be Double Battles!!

How This Works

If you want to join the fun, just post in the thread saying you're in. After that, you will be RNGd eight Pokemon you can use to make your team or teams. That's where things get exciting, because your Pokemon could be literally anything. You might find you get your hands on an uber like Rayquaza or Arceus, or you might have the misfortune of RNGing a Caterpie or Sunkern.

You can use those eight random Pokemon in any configurations you want and with any EVs, IVs, moves or Ability's you want (as long as they can legally have them). We'll be playing in the Anything Goes tier, that means Dynamax, Mega Evolution and Z-moves (a max of one each) are also fair game. The main thing here is that you must use a full team of six.

"What if all eight of my Pokemon are bad?" I hear you asking. Don't worry, that's where capitalism comes in. You see, every win will earn you 10 coins and every loss will earn you five. Between battles, you can PM me and spend coins in lots of five to have me RNG new potential team members for you (without you losing any of your previous eight). Additionally, every three losses you experience, you can ask me to RNG you another Pokemon for free. Be careful with how you spend your coins though, because the winner of the Fortune Cup is also determined by who has the most coins at the end!

At times, you can expect to see some special Fortune Events pop in the the thread too. Depending on what you do during those events, you may unlock free Pokemon, earn bonus coins or be less fortunate and suffer something more detrimental instead.

Please keep in mind, the best chance at victory you have is to battle as much as possible. There's no limit to the number of times you can battle someone, and the more you battle the more coins you earn and the more chances you have to obtain better Pokemon. You do need to keep track of your wins and losses and your coin total in a single post in this thread though. Anything else will not be counted.

The Fortune Cup will run through [TBA]

Battle Rules

Some battle specific rules to note! While technically the Fortune Cup uses the Anything Goes format - meaning you can use any Pokemon, have the same Pokemon on your team twice (if you RNG it twice) and use Dynamax, Z-Moves and Megas - the other battle rules we will be using are more akin to Ubers. Those rules are as follows:

- Sleep Clause: You may only put a single member of your opponent's party to sleep at a time.
    - Evasion Clause: You may not use Double Team or Minimize.
    - OHKO Clause: OHKO moves like Fissure and Sheet Cold are banned.
    - Endless Battle Clause: You cannot force a battle that can't end without someone forfeiting.

All battles are to be had on PC's Battle Server and are best of one. Let's keep those coins flowing fast, it's better for the market. You must provide replay links to your battles when recording your wins and losses in this thread.

Get-Together Points

As said previously, placement in the Fortune Cup is determined by how many coins you have at the end. Here's what you earn for your team for participating and placing!

Participation (at least three battles):

Participants

-

Important: Remember to ask for the opt-in Discord role (Fortune Cup) so people looking for battles can easily contact you.

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen yesterday
    I think it'd kinda weird if it only lasted for half of GT. I can understand concerns about waning interest if it lasts for two weeks, but that applies to all the other events too. Up to you though!

Is it because the PC server is now closed? D:
    Yeah pretty much.

Years

• I think we should run the full two weeks, honestly. It's fine if it starts to wind down a bit towards the end anyway, but when I did it last year it had pretty high activity all the way through. We can keep things spicy by spacing out the special events.

So, given the battle server situation, do we want to drop the double format so we can have a wider selection of Pokemon and mechanics or have a restricted Dex and do SwSh Ubers doubles? Honestly, given that the random team composition is kind of the point of Fortune Cup, I'm kind of leaning towards dropping doubles and maybe looking for some other gimmick instead if we really want to spice things up.

Also, the CSS needs tweaking to make it clear both of us can be contacted for stuff and we need to alter it to include the ability to purchase evolutions for Pokemon already on your team.

Something else to consider: making it so you have to spend coins to unlock the ability to dyna/giganatamax, mega evolve or use Z-moves.

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • I think it'd kinda weird if it only lasted for half of GT. I can understand concerns about waning interest if it lasts for two weeks, but that applies to all the other events too. Up to you though!

Yeah pretty much.

Is it not possible for the admins to open it? I could of sworn they mentioned that when the time calls for it, it can be opened up temporarily?

I think we should run the full two weeks, honestly. It's fine if it starts to wind down a bit towards the end anyway, but when I did it last year it had pretty high activity all the way through. We can keep things spicy by spacing out the special events.

So, given the battle server situation, do we want to drop the double format so we can have a wider selection of Pokemon and mechanics or have a restricted Dex and do SwSh Ubers doubles? Honestly, given that the random team composition is kind of the point of Fortune Cup, I'm kind of leaning towards dropping doubles and maybe looking for some other gimmick instead if we really want to spice things up.

Also, the CSS needs tweaking to make it clear both of us can be contacted for stuff and we need to alter it to include the ability to purchase evolutions for Pokemon already on your team.

Something else to consider: making it so you have to spend coins to unlock the ability to dyna/giganatamax, mega evolve or use Z-moves.

Well if it's the only option we have, then sure. I'm not quite sure about any other gimmick tho; I think keeping it simple with all these rules will be plenty.

Hmm, I'm thinking with the Game Corner styled event - We make a cash in for prizes thing; 5-10 coins for the type of Mega stone they need(if they want a different one, it's 5-10 coins per each?), dynamax you can just get the band, but certain pokemon has gigantamax right? But I'm fine keeping it just like, 5-10 coins too. Z-moves can be 5 coins per Z-stone.

I'll also update the CSS for changes.

Years
  • Is it not possible for the admins to open it? I could of sworn they mentioned that when the time calls for it, it can be opened up temporarily?

I think Janna has confirmed it but just posting to say that it's just easier for PC to not have the server on standby and having to try and open it each time it needs using, as there are a few issues that can arise, so that's why we just use the main Showdown server for anything now.

Years

• I like the idea of doing a coin exchange! I'd change the values a bit though.

5 coins for a Z-crystal
    10 coins to evolve a specific Pokemon
    15 coins for a mega stone
    20 coins for a dynamax band

I think just doing 5 for most of those things is too cheap. We can possibly give away some of these as rewards for events in place of coins too.

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen yesterday
    Is it not possible for the admins to open it? I could of sworn they mentioned that when the time calls for it, it can be opened up temporarily?
    Janna said that there are concerns about spam if there's no staff to moderate it, and that the admins are too busy with other technical problems related to the GT. I think the first reason is not a problem because we can turn on modchat. But I can understand not having time to deal with setting up Showdown again.

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen yesterday
    By the way, be sure to mention that people should use Gen 8 National Dex AG. It supports dex cut Pokemon, Megas, Z-Moves, etc. in a singles format.

There is also Gen 8 Doubles Custom Game, but there's absolutely no restrictions, such as illegal moves/abilities, more than six Pokemon/moves, levels higher than 100, etc. Not really worth the trouble if people can easily cheat.

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years

• The Fortune Cup: Game Corner EXTRAVAGANZA!
    Fortune Cup

Welcome, welcome, welcome to the Fortune Cup, where victory equals a healthy payday and defeat means scrabbling for spare cash! The Fortune Cup is a different breed of competition that your typical OU or RU tournaments, it will primarily test your luck and your ability to make do with what you get. Though of course, the wealthier you are, the more you can twist the odds in your favour.

In this installment of Fortune Cup...
    ...This session will take place in our famous Game Corner!!

How This Works

If you want to join the fun, just post in the thread saying you're in. After that, you will be RNGd eight Pokemon you can use to make your team or teams. That's where things get exciting, because your Pokemon could be literally anything. You might find you get your hands on an uber like Rayquaza or Arceus, or you might have the misfortune of RNGing a Caterpie or Sunkern.

You can use those eight random Pokemon in any configurations you want and with any EVs, IVs, moves or Ability's you want (as long as they can legally have them). We'll be playing in the Anything Goes tier, that means Dynamax, Mega Evolution and Z-moves (a max of one each) are also fair game. The main thing here is that you must use a full team of six.

"What if all eight of my Pokemon are bad?" I hear you asking. Don't worry, that's where capitalism comes in. By battling others you can earn special Game Corner coins. Battling someone on the other team will earn you ten coins for a win and five for a loss. Battling someone on your own team will earn you five coins for a win but none for a loss. Between battles, you can PM either Dragon or gimmepie and spend coins at the exchange corner (as shown below). Additionally, every three losses you experience, you can ask us to RNG you another Pokemon for free. Be careful with how you spend your coins though, because the winner of the Fortune Cup is also determined by who has the most coins at the end!

At times, you can expect to see some special Game Corner Events pop up in the the thread too. Depending on what you do during those events, you may unlock free Pokemon, earn bonus coins or be less fortunate and suffer something more detrimental instead.

Please keep in mind, the best chance at victory you have is to battle as much as possible. There's no limit to the number of times you can battle someone, and the more you battle the more coins you earn and the more chances you have to obtain better Pokemon. You do need to keep track of your wins and losses and your coin total in a single post in this thread though. Anything else will not be counted.

The Fortune Cup will run through October 9th - October 23rd, 11:59 p.m.

Battle Rules

Some battle specific rules to note! While technically the Fortune Cup uses the Gen 8 National Dex Anything Goes format (meaning you can use any Pokemon, have the same Pokemon on your team twice (if you RNG it twice) and use Dynamax, Z-Moves and Megas), the other battle rules we will be using are more akin to Ubers. Those rules are as follows:

- Sleep Clause: You may only put a single member of your opponent's party to sleep at a time.
    - Evasion Clause: You may not use Double Team or Minimize.
    - OHKO Clause: OHKO moves like Fissure and Sheet Cold are banned.
    - Endless Battle Clause: You cannot force a battle that can't end without someone forfeiting.

All battles are to be had on Main Battle Server Lobby in Pokemon Showdown and are best of one. Let's keep those coins flowing fast, it's better for the market. You must provide replay links to your battles when recording your wins and losses in this thread.

Get-Together Points

As said previously, placement in the Fortune Cup is determined by how many coins you have at the end. Here's what you earn for your team for participating and placing!

Participation (at least three battles):

Participants

-

Important: Remember to ask for the opt-in Discord role (Fortune Cup) so people looking for battles can easily contact you.

The Fortune Cup: Game Corner Prizes Exchange!

This thread will show you the types of prizes you can exchange for your coins. Do note that you can not use mega evolution, dynamax/gigantamaxing, or use Z-moves without purchasing the correct item for them! If you are in need of any coin exchanging, or anything related to the fortune cup, contact Dragon or gimmepie.

- RNG a new Pokemon: 5 Coins
    - Z-crystal: 5 Coins
    - Evolve a specific Pokemon you already own (please remember to keep track of all the pokemon you have gotten): 10 Coins
    - Any specific mega stone: 15 Coins
    - A dynamax band: 20 Coins

Last edited by a moderator:
    Back