• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Game Dev Mapping Contest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
Years
  • How are you going to remove bias from the judging process? There are many different tilesets one could use and many different styles one could use to create their maps from these tilesets, how can you fairly judge one map against another if there is no common denominator?

Mapping is much more then tiles. It is the use of space and design. Fluency and practical appliance.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2023
    He means how do the judges decipher between tile choices when deciding which is the best map. At any rate, this is a mapping contest so tile choice and how well they work together on the map is a small part of the judging when reviewing maps.

tImE

It's still me, 44tim44 ;)
    Years

• There is a sufficient number of judges. And this contest is in no way aimed at mappers in the making. I was someone who talked to Cilerba about starting the event. So I don't see your point, it's fairly numb.

I'll be entering the competition and I'm not a novice mapper, and I'm sure there will be some novice mappers entering too, but you're under a misconception if you think that this contest is for mappers in the learning stages.

Okay, I simply misunderstood then, :P

Anyway, I'll be entering in that case.

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
    Years
  • He means how do the judges decipher between tile choices when deciding which is the best map. At any rate, this is a mapping contest so tile choice and how well they work together on the map is a small part of the judging when reviewing maps.

Tiles are tiles, the only thing that matters in the way of mapping as far as I am concerned them is how well they work with the mapping and each other. For example, a map using HGSS style tiles with Kyledove's old DPPt tiles thrown in and not blended is going to get a lower score then a map that has something more consistent. Palettes are a huge part of getting pieces to flow together nicely so naturally you could still use Kyledove's DPPt tiles with HGSS tiles so long as they are blended and it could look great.

I will probably break down my judgments based on various categories that cover each little aspect of mapping, followed by an overall score.

Years
  • I guess I'll enter the map for the first "Village" in my game, Madera Village (a few of you who have deviant accounts might have already seen some of my maps)
    Spoiler:

(List of credits just for the sake of it: Gigatom, Alucus, Dewitty, zetavares852, Kymotonian [all from deviantArt])

Arma

The Hyena
    Years
  • Hey, I just noticed something, with all the discussion goin' round about tiles, does this mean that all maps here have to be made for a pokemon game?

Or can it just be any map in general.

Also thanks Yuoaman for brining up that, I was kinda wondering if the judges just wouldn't pick the map with the greatest tileset. I hope this gives me a chance using the standard rmxp or frlg tiles. (Depends on the answer of the question above.)

Cilerba

the hearts of lonely people
    Years
  • No, you don't have to use Pokémon tiles for your map. You can use any other tiles as long as you credit the creator.

In the rules it clearly says "For any questions please contact one of the judges through a VM or a PM." Please make sure you PM one of the judges next time.

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
    Years
  • Hey, I just noticed something, with all the discussion goin' round about tiles, does this mean that all maps here have to be made for a pokemon game?

Or can it just be any map in general.

Also thanks Yuoaman for brining up that, I was kinda wondering if the judges just wouldn't pick the map with the greatest tileset. I hope this gives me a chance using the standard rmxp or frlg tiles. (Depends on the answer of the question above.)

FR/LG tiles are no different in my eyes ten HGSS tiles as far as judging goes :) so feel free to use FR/LG if you would like. I am a mapper, I like to look at maps as an art which has nothing to do with tile choice.

Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    Here's my entry; being a route it has no fancy name, so it shall just be called Route 51.
    Spoiler:

Entrances are North, West and South, North being a post game area. Dimensions are 37x82 tiles. Map was made in RMXP.
    I used to have a text document containing exactly which credits belong where, but i couldn't find it so this is the best credit list I can give. I apologise in advance if I left out your tiles, let me know and I'll update the post lickety-split. Credits: Kyledove, Dewitty, Chimcharsfireworkd (sp?), Jim42

Last edited:

Gigatom~

Pokemon Ruthenium Creator ~
    Years
    • Seen May 25, 2012
    I think I'll post this map. It's called Littlestrain Town - Magya Beach and you'll play it in my Game. I rezised it to prevent stealing, but I think you'll be able to judge it.
    Spoiler:

The original size is 95x55 and it's made with RMXP.
    Credits: Nintendo HG/SS Tiles, Myself.

Last edited:

D. Lawride

Audi Famam Illius, Scriptor!
    Years
  • I'll enter the contest too, with Middlin Forest from my project, Pokémon Nightmare.

Spoiler:

Credits go to:

-> Kyledove, Alucus, pokemondiamond, xavs-pixels and Riceeman.

Let's see how this will go xD

Last edited:

tImE

It's still me, 44tim44 ;)
    Years
  • Well, here's my entry.
    It's a small route in one of my WIP games.
    Spoiler:

Credits: Nintendo, Kymotonian, Dewitty and myself.

Absolutely no stealing.

EDIT: Forgot to mention: In-game, there's an event that creates stairs at the lower right mountain piece.

Last edited:

Arma

The Hyena
    Years
  • Alright, Here's my entry: Cadia Forest from my own game, Pokemon Fiesta (has yet to be posted) It's rather large, 60x69 tiles
    Spoiler:
    In case you were stupid enough to even think about stealing this:
    Don't or I will kill you!

Map by me, tiles by Nintendo.

Trivia question: Explain the name "Cadia".

Legendaries

Ginzuishou/Heavy-Metal-Lover
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 2, 2021
    I decided to participate in this contest.

This is the map I've made using RPG Maker XP, this place is called the Raypath Town.
    Spoiler:

Credits: Kyledove, Alucus, Pokemon-Diamond, TheDeadHeroAlistair, Dewitty, Ligtherzein, Korinkublaster

NO STEALING PLEASE!

Conan Edogawa

One Truth Prevails
    Years
  • Here's my entry, it's currently unnamed. I'm not sure whose tiles these are as I got them from CNG's kit, but I'll ask him right away and update my post appropriately.
    Spoiler:

Credit Krosk for the tiles

Last edited:

me2hack

Graphics Artist
    Years
    • Seen Mar 12, 2011
    Hope I'm not too late on this one.
    I'm aware that you can see the events, but I had to take screenshots in the RMXP itself, since Help-14's map maker didn't work.
    Clicky.

Credit to: Dewitty, Prince Legandario, Kymotonian, Alucus & Calis Projects, and Bulbapedia.net.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2023
    May I ask when the date for the final entry is please? Been working on this map for about a week so it's still not done.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back