• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Gym Leaders and Elite Four

Years
  • I'm certain that Gym Leaders don't have held items in the initial battle against them, so having an Eviolite on his Vigoroth would be out of the question. Still I think he will end up likely the hardest Hoenn Gym Leader in these games, although Roxanne did get a little buffed thanks to the buff her signature move, Rock Tomb received this generation.

Tate & Liza might also become a bit harder as well because in the originals, Surf was usually the move of choice to attack both of their Pokemon at the same time, but now that the move hits your partner as well it may be much less enticing to use. Thankfully Dark moves will be more effective against them now thanks to the physical/special split.

Wallace's Milotic I think will still be as heavy of a nuisance that it always was.

I find your comment interesting because for me when I played through the game over the years, I always found Norman, Wattson, and Tate&Liza to be the hardest to defeat (I whited out a few times during some playthroughs lol), and I found the rest to be very easy, including Wallace. So I think it really comes down to what Pokemon you choose in your in-game teams. For example back then I had never used a Fighting Pokemon... ever LOL so I didn't have any type advantage with Norman, and all my Pokes for my runthroughs were pretty squishy and had low defenses as well so he kind of tore through my team.

A few generations later, I now have an understanding of EVs, IVs, base stats, and type match-ups so it's probably not going to still be as hard as when I was younger (where I just chose Pokemon I liked and thought looked cool). I still choose Pokemon for appearance, but I also consider more of their battling capabilities now too!

I hope the creators are able to find the perfect medium where the gym leaders are not painfully hard for younger fans, yet not too painfully easy for more experienced players (like it was in X/Y). It's also interesting that you mention that the breakers found Steven's team to all have 30 IVs :O That'll be interesting for sure.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • The 3,5,and 7th were quite hard, but Wallace was difficult in Emerald, more so than as a gym leader. Mostly because I expected Steven (he appeared a lot and seem interesting compared to Wallace), but also due to that Milotic of his...especially in PWT...

Guest123123

I actually found Brawly the most difficult (entirely because of healing items + Makuhita's berry). I had to go ahead on to Slateport and beat all the trainers there so my Ralts would evolve before I stood a chance. With the Ralts line now having a 4x resistance to Fighting though, I'll probably be able to beat him without needing to do that.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • The Gym Leaders in RSE were all pretty level in terms of difficulty, none of them were too difficult nor were they easy. I'd say Winona with Altaria and then Tate & Liza with Lunatone and Solrock as the most difficult. Either way I'm looking forward to rebattling them all hopefully with updated movesets and items!

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I've found Tate and Liza to be most difficult, to be precise; in my first run of Ruby, I've gotten up to them and had no Pokémon on my team to fully counter theirs, so wound up losing for about a total of five times. Finally decided to catch myself Sharpedo afterward, spend some time training it, and then was I finally able to get them defeated. In ORAS, I'm expecting them to be even more tough. Though, I'll be selecting Mudkip as my starter, so on my end, perhaps they won't be; who knows?

Years
  • I've found Tate and Liza to be most difficult, to be precise; in my first run of Ruby, I've gotten up to them and had no Pokémon on my team to fully counter theirs, so wound up losing for about a total of five times. Finally decided to catch myself Sharpedo afterward, spend some time training it, and then was I finally able to get them defeated. In ORAS, I'm expecting them to be even more tough. Though, I'll be selecting Mudkip as my starter, so on my end, perhaps they won't be; who knows?

I know that in the data dump it said Tate's Solrock carries Solar Beam, and that would likely OHKO a Swampert due to the nasty Grass weakness. But I know they'll be a tad bit harder this time around.

Years
  • I know that in the data dump it said Tate's Solrock carries Solar Beam, and that would likely OHKO a Swampert due to the nasty Grass weakness. But I know they'll be a tad bit harder this time around.
    I know I'm asking for a small spoiler here, but does Liza's Lunatone know any ice moves? If not then Sceptile will be the best one to fight them with, especially if one get's access to it's Mega earlier in the game.

Years
  • I know I'm asking for a small spoiler here, but does Liza's Lunatone know any ice moves? If not then Sceptile will be the best one to fight them with, especially if one get's access to it's Mega earlier in the game.

I looked it up and she doesn't have Ice Beam. Lunatone's only attacking move there is Psychic while everything else she has is status and support moves. Tate's Solrock is probably the one who focuses on offense while Liza focus on defense.

They still can be trouble for Water-types because Tate's Solrock has Sunny Day, which not only weakens Water moves but makes Solar Beam skip the charge turn. The movesets of the duo are the exact same as the originals, except that Solrock's Flamethrower got replaced by Rock Slide.

So definitely a good advantage here if one's picking Treecko, which seems to be the fave starter right now according to the poll over in the starters thread. I guess the reason why might be because Mega Sceptile has a unique type combination unlike the other two, but that's out of the question here.

Years
    • Seen Feb 2, 2017
    Opinion of the artwork:
    Roxanne
    Gym Leaders and Elite Four

Surely the old one looks better.. more mature..more identical to her character..

Brawly

I prefer the new version.. it's more fitting to be tan since he is living in a seashore area..

Wattson

Both looks almost the same old cheerful who would give you a hard time..

Flannery

I find the new one is fitting to her hesitant personality..

Norman

The new has more serious emotion.. preferring the old design..

Winnona
    Spoiler:

Tate and liza
    Spoiler:

Wallace
    Spoiler:

Sindey

Obviously the older's much better.. ruined his design in oras..

Phoebe

in the new she looks a young version of her.. Old is mature..wins..

Spoiler:

Drake
    Spoiler:

Steven

They could've made a better pose for the new however the outfit is slightly better than the old..

Last edited:

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • Actually I think a lot of the redesigns just make sense, because Hoenn is a warm region (only one besides Kanto without icy locations) and most of them are wearing shirts and light clothing in the new artwork. Not to mention they're simply better drawn, as was the case with the HGSS redesigns. The classic artwork isn't very good today, although Advance generation was sort of a transition phase.

EDIT: About Wallace, I don't understand what the goal of the new outfit is. Although GF is known for depicting artists with flamboyant outfits and mannerisms (see Burgh).

Last edited:

Years
  • Actually I think a lot of the redesigns just make sense, because Hoenn is a warm region (only one besides Kanto without icy locations) and most of them are wearing shirts and light clothing in the new artwork. Not to mention they're simply better drawn, as was the case with the HGSS redesigns. The classic artwork isn't very good today, although Advance generation was sort of a transition phase.

EDIT: About Wallace, I don't understand what the goal of the new outfit is. Although GF is known for depicting artists with flamboyant outfits and mannerisms (see Burgh).
    They do. Well actually Hoenn does have an icy place, Shoal Cave, as does Kanto which has the Seafoam Islands...but I think those islands are kept cold by Articuno, not sure about Shoal cave...could be similar to the ice cave on Four Island.

Wallace's outfit sort of reminds me of Glalie...must be the diamond cuts revealing skin (similar to the diamond cuts in the ice revealing the black rock). Well that and Suicune...the scarf especially, and Suicune has diamond shaped marks...anyone thinks that Wallace is cosplaying?

Years
  • My thoughts on the new artwork:

Roxanne: Both designs are good, but I really love the dress in her ORAS design.

Brawly: I kinda like how his ORAS design has a bit of tan on his skin now, fitting given Dewford Town is on a beach area. Also, he looks much more like a Fighting-type trainer now compared to the RSE design.

Wattson: He's still happy as ever! The ORAS design does look a bit awkward but it's still cool.

Flannery: Her new design has much more personality, so going with that.

Norman: I actually don't mind the new design, it sorta ties in with the design of his gym. And he does look like he means serious business!

Winona: The new design isn't revealing much but I love the little wings on her arms. Both designs get the nod here.

Tate & Liza: The old design had their outfits being totally identical meaning you couldn't tell them apart other than their hair. The new one has them with different colored buttons (green for Tate, red for Liza) and it looks much more Chinese which ties in with their Japanese names.

Wallace: Totally not a fan of his ORAS design. RSE ones get the thumbs-up here. Why the heck did they make him look like a sex symbol in this game?

Sidney: I agree with the jaw, it ruined him for me there.

Phoebe: She remained unchanged due to the iconic look, but both get the nod from me because of how iconic her outfit was.

Glacia: Her dress in the new design looks much more beautiful than in RSE.

Drake: Again, he's in the same boat as Phoebe, too iconic design. Both artworks are good here.

Steven: Definitely into the new outfit here, it's more detailed than his old one.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • They do. Well actually Hoenn does have an icy place, Shoal Cave, as does Kanto which has the Seafoam Islands...but I think those islands are kept cold by Articuno, not sure about Shoal cave...could be similar to the ice cave on Four Island.

Wallace's outfit sort of reminds me of Glalie...must be the diamond cuts revealing skin (similar to the diamond cuts in the ice revealing the black rock). Well that and Suicune...the scarf especially, and Suicune has diamond shaped marks...anyone thinks that Wallace is cosplaying?

I think Seafoam Islands are only icy in HGSS. As for Shoal Cave, it only has one icy room.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Wattson's new design is pretty cool; it makes him seem like a combination of mechanic and an islander, which, I believe, he is! Maluville is not precisely an island--rather, it's a peninsula, come to think of it--but it's still close.

Also, am very fond of Glacia's dress! She looks gorgeous.

Years
  • Most of the new Elite Four designs make them look more noble and stronger, except Sidney who looks really goofy or smug.

As for the Gym Leaders, I can say the same except for Wallace and Flannery. The rest look cooler here.

Years
  • I think Seafoam Islands are only icy in HGSS. As for Shoal Cave, it only has one icy room.
    Look it up in Bulbapedia and go to the Layout part of it's page, it clearly has ice in FrLg, in the originals it looks like it too, but they're black and white so it's hard to tell for sure...

I hope that Juan ends up appearing, even if his code may not have shown up in the Demo. I'll like to see his redesign. He'll be the first important character ,not counting the Yellow exclusive characters as those were anime character, to not appear in the remakes from the third games (Eusine appeared in HgSs). The same may happen to Scott and the Frontier Brains...the only reason GF may need to remake Emerald may be to give them redesigns and bring back the Battle Frontier (if it doesn't appear in these games), oh and give Champion Wallace a design that's better than his ORAS gym leader design (and give his ace a Mega, as well as Flygon who replaced the Latis in the Emerald Opening)....

Back