• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Has your internal battery died yet?

Pechachu

Indifference, I choose you!
Years
  • All of my old games are still working, despite years of continuous use. I'm still waiting for that sad day...

Years
  • My Crystal still works, but now I'm too scared to check because they might be dead. My Red died when I tried to play it and save. :(

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Nov 9, 2021
    Crystal is still kicking luckily, Good thing I loaded the save file from the Game cart a while back.

MrsMime

Humanshape Pokemon
    Years
  • MartianOddity, you said that the R/B/Y generation won't die because they don't have an internal clock..yet my yellow version won't save anymore?

I wonder if that could be a different problem?

Years
  • Urgh yes my silver internal battery had died....
    I had that file for 5 years, needed 5 pokemon to complete my dex...urgh

But my gold is still working which is good.

smellybellysrock

Legend Of Band Camp: You ready
    Years
    • Seen Aug 8, 2011
    yup. my silver was destroyed, because the person i bought it from messed it up. so i got rid of it.

pumpkinziggy

Hunting for shiny Articuno
    Years
  • Sadly, yes. I must keep my Gold on all the time, for it only holds a safe file for a few seconds. Same with Crystal. But with Blue, it still has its internal battery, luckily... but I don't know how long it will last.

Candista

Little Razorblade
    Years
  • nope! i've had my crystal version since 2002-ish.
    & the batterys still working just fine.

Maybe you've dropped it? Humidity etc. maybe?

I think that's why. Dropping the older games is more devastating than the newer GSC games if I recall correctly. I heard of some other guy on these forums that dropped his Yellow and lost all save data.

that same thing happened to me with blue version!

Last edited:

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
  • Wow! So that's what happened!

Aaaah...

This happened to my Yellow, Blue, and Red, all at the same time.
    Of course I had accidentally taken all three plus my Gameboy Color into the pool with me as a child. >_>"

Ironically all of them worked afterward. o.O'

It wasn't until a year or so later that the Gameboy Color ceased to work simply and the Pokemon games stopped saving. If I'm really gentle with Red it will hold a save for a bit. Otherwise it loses it. The others, just no.

My Gold and Silver never died, nor my crystal.

My sapphire's internal battery died, but it had no effect on the game other than time no longer passed.

So that's what's wrong with my Red, Blue, and Yellow version? Their internal battery died? I figured the water eventually rusted the memory cell or something.

Years
    • Seen Jun 30, 2010
    My crystal just went yesterday. Gold and Silver are still running strong though, odd since I've played them much more.

Years
    • Seen Apr 30, 2015
    Mine didn't die.. It got corroded.. It has this weird nintendo logo appearing when turning on the game boy...

I once removed the battery from my red and transferred it in another cartridge where the battery has run dry.. Well it works.. All you have to do is solder it..

Konkat

So Square I'm Pixelated
    Years
  • Ah... I was going to say the thing about soldering. I've had a few games (mostly belonging to other people) that I've transferred new batteries into , but I've never had a trouble with a pokemon game. Not even when my GBA got tossed in the wash with my jeans along with Ruby. xD

The only game I've ever had experience battery death was a mega old non-color copy of TLoZ: Link's Awakening, and that thing is epically old... Then again, I have a copy of Metroid 2 for the GB that's probably almost as old as I am, and that still works. I still play it from time to time. It's gone through a lot, it was my father's before I got it. Gamer family heirloom. xD

I think it all has to do with how kind you are to the game cart, not how much you play or how old it is. I bet more often than not the battery comes loose or corrodes or something rather than actually dying. Those 'flat batteries' are pretty hardy little things, aren't they?

And don't they get some kind of charge whenever you play the game? I'd think so, I'm sure Nintendo would see to that, they may as well since a circuit needs to be closed anyway, aye? Or maybe not, I'm no hardware expert, I just know how to put things back together after I pull 'em apart. xD

Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2008
    I only ever owned Gold, but through trades and luck (no cheating at all) I had managed to get every pokemon. I lost it all when the battery died. I changed the battery and it works fine again, however I understand that there aren't enough people who play G/S/C anymore for me to repeat my accomplishment. I play it occasionally for nostalgia. It had my favorite storyline so far, and introduced some of my favorite pokemon, Octillery, Ampharos, Houndoom, Heracross, Lanturn, etc. Ahh...The memories....

Back