• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

have you ever been catfished?

Years
  • A catfish is someone who pretends to be someone else, especially on the internet. Found on anywhere from instagram to twitter to chat sites, these people use fake pictures to disguise who they are. A synonym for this in some situations may be "troll" because the majority of catfish out there are simply out to troll others, while others have their own reasons for this approach. Often catfish, once discovered, are faced with people full of annoyance and frustration at being "catfishes"

has it happened to you? or have you ever catfished someone?

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • lmfao so i don't know if anyone will remember this but when alex was banned many many moons ago, and idr WHY we did this, but like i was using alex's pictures as my avatar and in my signature and people thought it was me and it was fucking funny. people would be like 'omg is that you' and i'd be like 'ya' and i'm fuckin laughin about it now bc honestly that's so cringey alex where are you do you remember this lmfaoooo

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • No, I've never been catfished, nor have I done it to someone else. I'm genuine about who I am, and I'd never lie about it.

Years
  • i got catfished from this guy on tumblr when i was 19 (2011 was a very rough time for me ok).

it really hurt me when i realized he wasn't who he said he was,,,he told me he was from sacramento; turns out, the guy whose photos he used were from the uk. after i confronted him about it, he completely ghosted me.

i vowed after that no more online relationships!

User Anon 1848

Twice. The second time I actually ended up traveling a fair distance to meet them only to be stood up. I can be a real sap when it comes to women, or men pretending to be women in this case haha.

i got catfished from this guy on tumblr when i was 19 (2011 was a very rough time for me ok).

it really hurt me when i realized he wasn't who he said he was,,,he told me he was from sacramento; turns out, the guy whose photos he used were from the uk. after i confronted him about it, he completely ghosted me.

i vowed after that no more online relationships!

Smart. They're more trouble than they're worth imo and for every success story there's two stories that end up like ours did.

tigertron

Pokémon Master
    Years
  • I've never been catfished or go around catfishing,

I do online dating and it's crazy how many fake profiles there are. I once browsed a well known dating site and found someone using pictures of my cousin (I know what you're thinking, no, it wasn't really her haha).

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    idt so, but I'm wary of ever using tinder for this reason.

Her

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I'm a world-class IMVU catfish if that means anything

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    Oh God I remember the Early Days of the internet where I was so naive. Although I didn't get into any catfish relationships, I found that two of my 'friends' were catfishes all along, one I figured out at the end and obviously that meant they ghosted me from that point, one I figured out a few years later when I stumbled across their ""boyfriend""'s picture elsewhere and had the know-how by that point to trace it back to a name.

Ngl the Catfish show definitely armed me with some ways to check people out.

Years
  • ^ that reminds me - when I was like 11 I had an online friend I met through neopets; we later were friends on another for. Anyway she pretended to have this friend irl that was a total lie?? So she was dating this guy, and also catfishing me as her friend?

It was wild tbh

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Shockingly no I haven't. Everyone I have ever met from the internet has been who they claimed to be.

As for myself I once pretended to be an Atheist Asian woman on yahoo answers who joined a group of atheists who had taken over a dead section of the site. Wild times and one of my online highlights.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Yes, unfortunately.
    In the past I've had people who disliked me for whatever reason pretend to be someone else to "befriend" me and get personal info to harass/just generally be a nuisance.
    It's had an effect on my trust though.

Back