• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Hitmonchan or Hitmonlee?

She_Delphox

Delphox used Mystical Fire!
Years
  • So everyone probably remembers the Fighting Dojo in Saffron City. When you beat all the trainers in there, including the 'leader' of the Dojo, you could pick either Hitmonchan or Hitmonlee behind the guy. So, which do you prefer? Did you ever bother to pick one of the two and if so, did you ever use them in your actual team?

I always picked Hitmonchan because I really like Punch-moves like Ice Punch, Fire Punch and Thunder Punch, I think it's a great advantage. I never used a Hitmonchan in my team though :3

I just wonder what you guys think, thanks in advance!

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I like Hitmonchan more, because I'm just a huge fan of the moves that it could learn. Hitmonlee is okay, but… its design scares me a little. xD;;

Years
  • Of the two, in Generation I, Hitmonlee was better. Even if it didn't really have much to use, it was still better than Hitmonchan's iffy stats that waste its elemental punches. Machamp is usually better than either, though.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I preferred Hitmonlee. I picked it up my first time through Red not having any clue of the differences between my choices (I did something similar with the Dome Fossil), and though I didn't use it too much, I do recall it being somewhat useful. Hitmonlee was cool due to its punches, and I tried it in a later playthrough, but its relatively low special stat made it difficult to use until the physical/special split in gen 4.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • Back then Hitmonchan was a POS because elemental punches were Special and Hitmonchan's Special Attack sucks. But I picked him anyway.

Years
  • Even when I was younger I knew that Hitmonlee was the better choice, but the cool design of Hitmonchan plus its access to the elemental punches made me pick it everytime.

Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2015
    Hitmonchan has a much better design and I never really knew about how the Physical/Special stuff worked back then so I was gleefully ignorant regarding Hitmonchan's wasted potential.

Tek

Years
  • Hitmonchan has a much better design and I never really knew about how the Physical/Special stuff worked back then so I was gleefully ignorant regarding Hitmonchan's wasted potential.

This is exactly my history with this topic. Hitmonchan is just so cool! I still don't know exactly why he's cool, but he was my favorite Pokémon for a long time (Kingler being a close second).

Years
  • I didn't use either of them. Back then I thought they were ugly and brushed them off, but now when I play through RBY I pick Hitmonchan. I prefer his wide variety of moves to Hitmonlee, but I still don't train them on my team; instead, I let the Daycare take care of it. n__n

Mecheon

Flamingo Flambé
    Years
    • Seen May 21, 2014
    I chose Hitmonlee because it looked so strange and because it made me laugh when crashing using jump kick or high jump kick.

khaozz

Peace sells, but who's buying?
    Years
    • Seen Nov 26, 2018
    I've never actually used a Hitmon in my party. If I had to pick one however, I'd pick Hitmontop, since he's much cooler than the other two.

Seriously though, I've always preferred Hitmonlee to Hitmonchan, since he hits harder and looks cooler in my opinion. Hitmonchan does have the elemental punches, but that low Special meant his fighting moves would hit harder, meaning they were almost useless. Fortunately, the Physical/Special Split fixed that problem, and Hitmonchan can differentiate himself from his brother by having better coverage.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I never found Hitmonchan useful. Bunch of elemental non-STAB attacks and pretty frail. Hitmonlee on the other hand both looks badass and is badass when used. I've always gone with 'Lee.

Years
  • I think I went with Hitmonchan more often than I did Hitmonlee because I preferred its design and the fact that part of its English namesake came from Jackie Chan, whose animated TV show I loved watching XD I didn't always use it in my party, though. However, nowadays I prefer Hitmonlee for its design and moves. (Plus, Bruce Lee, who inspired part of its English namesake, is an absolute badass.)

Back