• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Hitmonchan or Hitmonlee?

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
  • Honestly I thought both of them were quite odd looking and I immediately boxed whichever one I picked after I got it. I don't recall using any of them. I guess if I had to pick now it would be Hitmonchan.

Universe

all-consuming
    Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2016
    I chose Hitmonchan, myself.

When I was younger I was pretty fickle about designs and only chose Pokemon I thought looked cool, cute, etc.
    And to me, Hitmonchan was the better looking of the two... so.. voila. :D;

Never did use it, though.

Years
    • Seen Jun 13, 2014
    So everyone probably remembers the Fighting Dojo in Saffron City. When you beat all the trainers in there, including the 'leader' of the Dojo, you could pick either Hitmonchan or Hitmonlee behind the guy. So, which do you prefer? Did you ever bother to pick one of the two and if so, did you ever use them in your actual team?

I always picked Hitmonchan because I really like Punch-moves like Ice Punch, Fire Punch and Thunder Punch, I think it's a great advantage. I never used a Hitmonchan in my team though :3

I just wonder what you guys think, thanks in advance!

Hitmonlee because he was beautiful and hitmonchan was downright ugly.

bewbs

~Chloe~
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Nov 20, 2022
    I like Hitmontop more though.

I think Chan and Lee are both good in their own way. I think I've chosen hitmonchan more times in the past, but in my last playthough I chose hitmonlee and found him to be pretty useful. Chan is nice and has an intertresting movepool but didn't have the special stats to make the most of it.

Years
  • I've actually.. always picked Hitmonchan for the most part but he is a little too humanoid for me so nowadays I'd probably go with Hitmonlee. Plus the physical/special split didn't make Hitmonchan more useful until the fourth generation way down the line. They're both not my favorite fighting 'mons - if only Hitmontop was available that early.

Years
    • Seen Jan 27, 2016
    Not 100% sure but I think one of the reasons i chose Chan over Lee was because of his ablity to use cut! I might be mistaken though that Lee couldn't.

I don't think i've played Red,Blue, Yellow in at least 10 years.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    I always picked and boxed Hitmonchan, but since I started replaying the originals and the remakes, I find that I pick Hitmonlee more often now, though I'm not entirely sure why. Probably to make up for all those times I neglected him way back when.

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    I've always preferred Hitmonlee. In my younger years, I picked it because I liked its design more than Hitmonchan's. Nowadays, I prefer Hitmonlee because of its higher Speed and Attack rather than just its design. Sure, Hitmonchan may have more coverage with the elemental punches, but Hitmonlee still wins for me. I also love Hitmontop, because it's funky and cute at the same time.

La Espada

Captain Ressentiment
    Years
  • I would always pick Hitmonchan because of the elemental punches. Of course back then I had no idea they were special attacks...

Sirfetch’d

I picked Hitmonchan the first time, but after that started picking Hitmonlee. I felt that while Hitmonchan was my favorite of the two, was quite useless back in gen 1 with the elemental punches being special based.

Back