• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Homosexuality

Renii

Se(Renii)ty
    Years
    My colour analogy works just fine. Colour and who you love are the exact same thing when you break it down to what it is, and for that, I redirect you back to my original post.

Hmm.. well, yes, you could compare a girlfriend to clothes. I wouldn't, but one could. Especially in our teenage years, girlfriends come and go so easily, so I could see an analogy made there.
    Be disgusted. I really could not give less of a crap. You're taking my argument way too seriously, as if I'm a homophobe of some sort. Just because I think it's a choice does not mean I'm against homosexuals and believe that certain homosexuals can just up and change their sexual preferences. Not at all what I said.

What I find hilarious is that I give an actual, detailed response of why I think it's a choice, and all you can come back with is "You're born gay, definitely." oh, damn I'm convinced. You're right I'm wrong.
    Yeah and my childhood was spent playing Pokemon. Now I'm on a Pokemon forum. I really don't see your point. Just because someone treats you as something doesn't mean you are that thing. Grow a pair, seriously.

I didn't call you a homophobe or anything. I'm just merely stating that your colour analogy doesn't make any sense to me.
    Teenage relationships aren't even serious. I'm disgusted because you implied that all relationships are throw-away non-serious ones.

Not being a choice part is my opinion. I'm not dissing out anybody else's opinion. But I'm gonna say something if I don't think your reasons are correct, or at least if they don't make any sense to me.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
    Neither.

I believe one's orientation is a result of their lifetime's worth of experiences, coming together in a very messy equation chock full of way too many variables to form orientations. While theoretically it can change, it is not as simple as a choice and requires quite a lot more work than simply choosing to actively pursue. Even then, the equation is so full of variables that all you can do even if you want to is guesswork, so it may simply never work even if one tried hard. In short, orientation is a complex, virtually unpredictable (but not technically truly impossible) thing that can potentially be associated with a wide variety of causes, and can also be directly influenced, though how an event influences one is in fact subjective, meaning there is no universal way to effect someone's orientation, though humans vary little enough that a pattern could potentially be made, though it would very easily be destroyed between cultures and through time.

Y'know, I wonder if someone has already created and studied a theory like this. That'd be an interesting read. On the off chance nobody has, perhaps one day I will be the one to do so.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2012
    You are born gay/bi/whatever. The same way anyone is born straight. You can't decide what turns you on, and get's the hormones flowing. It's just how your body reacts, and it's the same as how someone might like spicy food over sweet. You can't choose that, you just like that type of food.

BUT, you CAN choose to be in a homosexual lifestyle, but be straight. You could be straight and kiss boys and touch their manly parts. But that doesn't make you gay. Doing does not equate desire.

I don't choose to be gay anymore than anyone else chooses to be straight.
    Let's put it this way: I see a naked dude, my pants get a little tighter.
    I see a naked chick, nothing happens.

I don't believe I choose when to get my erections.

Last edited:

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
    To a certain extent, it is by birth. I have gay friends who have told me they've never been attracted to someone of the opposite sex. They had no idea why, that's just how it was. It wasn't something they could explain, so I don't really take anyone (who is critical of homosexuality) who claims to understand seriously :/

But then again, for others, it's a choice. Poop happens, people go through things. Things that give people the opportunity to ~make a choice~.

I won't go too far into my opinion, the last thing I want is a debate.

I guess the bottom line of what I'm trying to say is
    EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT, DEAL WITH IT LUL.

Last edited:

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
    People have points with that "why would you chose to be discriminated against" point. It's more accepted now so people can chose it but I think it's more of a fashion mentality. Oh I think this once, it's what I am. You can chose what to be in life.

Years
    Lol at how much provocations this thread made.

Anyway, it's not at birth or anything. It's an acquired trait.

Atomic guy btw next time you attempt to troll homosexuals try not to come with a religious reason. (I once trolled a religious forum and most of the responses said it's some mental illness.. hahahahahahaha, the irony. I even went to a friendly neighborhood gay forum and made a giant flamewar haha)

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
    I think it's more a choice than present at birth. Imo your sexuality is a product of life experiences rather than genetics. I find it hard to believe that there is such a thing as a "gay gene" since to pass on your genes you have to be straight. I know genetic mutation is possible but seriously gay people are not mutants.

As for the choice side of things, meh. As I said I think it's a produce of experiences which may or may not have been by choice. So perhaps some contributing factors were due to choice but overall sexuality is mostly out of an individual's control unless they lie to themselves and try to force themselves into being straight.

Last edited:

Masqueraine

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2011
    I don't know if you're born gay, but I think once you recognize your sexuality it's hard to change.

To expand on my earlier post, I don't think anybody can say for sure whether somebody is born gay or straight. That being said I strongly consider it. In the womb it has been proven in studies that the male fetus is viewed as an 'outsider' and so the body reacts to it with estrogen, which is why second born and so on sons have a higher chance of being gay, because as we have seen demonstrated through vaccines once a body is introduced to a foreign substance it has an easier time fighting it off. In the case of a human fetus it instills more feminine tendencies, such as homosexuality in males.

The idea that choosing to be a sexuality is like choosing your favorite color is a bit far fetched. Sexuality is an animalistic trait. You cannot mentally choose to change what makes your blood flow faster. Things like your favorite movie, color, and so on have to do with our higher intellectual capability. Animals don't see a color and prefer it the way we do, and they don't watch television and understand what's going on. Our intellectual capacity is always expanding and with it the things we like or prefer, due to these changes that take place.

So I'll have to disagree completely with Penetrait. People don't choose their sexuality, and if we could, I wouldn't be a lesbian. I'm trying to prove your theory right now but so far I still like a pretty lady.

Edit: @Razor Leaf; As a human with compassion for gay people, it's hard to consider them 'mutants'. But when we see people with cancer, or some other physical deformity we don't think of them as mutants, but with your logic they are. A mutation in a gene that would cause you to like the same gender and not further your species which without our intelligence (aka every other animal in the world) would make us useless is probable. Just because you don't want to call them 'mutants' which you don't have to, doesn't mean it's ruled out. And in some cases mutations are good, so you don't need to place negative emphasis on it.

If someone else thinks it's a choice, then accept that and move on

Yeah lol, we should all just post things and not speak with each other at all. Anti-sociality even on the internet! XD

Last edited:

Daydream

[b]Boo.[/b]
    Years
    I definitely did not choose to be gay, but then I'm not so certain I was born gay either. This is mainly because I could probably identify a few things that might have unconsciously influenced my sexuality. On the opposite side, I can never pinpoint a part of my life where I've felt truly attracted to a female. So I'm not sure? Maybe it's a combination of genetic factors and social/psychological factors.

Although, as it's been stated a few times in different ways in this thread, I think what matters is not why we are one way but simply that we all accept each other as equals, regardless.

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
    People have points with that "why would you chose to be discriminated against" point. It's more accepted now so people can chose it but I think it's more of a fashion mentality. Oh I think this once, it's what I am. You can chose what to be in life.

Maybe it's not that they choose to be discriminated against, maybe they have a little but of optimism. That false hope that their peers will accept them for who they are because they're the same person no matter who they love.

And I'm not just replying to you, it's everyone that has that opinion. I'm not against the point, because it makes sense. But it's worded in a weird way.

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years

Maybe it's not that they choose to be discriminated against, maybe they have a little but of optimism. That false hope that their peers will accept them for who they are because they're the same person no matter who they love.

And I'm not just replying to you, it's everyone that has that opinion. I'm not against the point, because it makes sense. But it's worded in a weird way.

I know, you sounded nice even ^_^

I'm glad it's not a band-wagon response, gets discussion going. So maybe this should be moved to Other Chat to debate.

Buttered Coat

I AM BUT A COAT.
    Years
    I think that, depending on the case, it could be both. Alot of homosexual/bisexual etc. don't just choose who they're attracted to. Some people are gay but wish they weren't, and probably vice versa. Influence also has alot to do with it. for example, if a child grows up having two mothers or two fathers, they'll grow up to believe it's completely normal and most likely end up being gay. I'm not saying that's what always happens though, some children can grow up like that and simple think it's normal but be straight. It's not really a choice, though. Some people might not always be gay but later start realizing they're attracted to the same sex. Sometimes it's about experience. If a woman has a bad experience with a man, they can often start seeing all men as bad and start preferring other women. Same with men.

So I guess my point is, it's not a choice, but you're not always exactly born that way.

Last edited:

ソラ

Im gonna be the King of the Pirates
    Years
    I believe you're born gay, lesbian.

as for bisexual, I'm not really sure, since I'm bisexual myself, and I don't know what to believe really. But in Gay, Lesbian are born that way, I simply think its beautiful, being born in any sexuality really is beautiful in my opinion. I dont think there should be any hate toward people that are different, since there is no such thing as being normal in any world, since everyone is different in mental sense, and a physical sense.

hellojazzii

s ♥ n e
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Feb 7, 2014
    i strongly believe that it is not a choice. and there's absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
    Y'know, I wonder if someone has already created and studied a theory like this. That'd be an interesting read. On the off chance nobody has, perhaps one day I will be the one to do so.
    They have. I studied it a bit in health class a few years ago... which is why I said neither as well.

Unfortunately, I couldn't seem to find it on google. =/

JimJams

Giggles at the Ghosties
    Years

No. Whenever people do that, they don't end up satisfied with their lives until they can accept that it's not something they are, but something they chose to appear as.
    You can choose to appear gay, but you can't choose to be gay. If you actually are, then you were more than likely born that way.

Katja

Years
    I'm pretty sure it's a choice. No I'm really sure it's a choice. You can't be born gay. As you grow up, you think to yourself, "I like teh men." And then it goes from there I guess.

Back