• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Homosexuality

Ultraviolence

alt account for Eros
    Years
    • Age 28
    • UK
    • Seen Sep 3, 2019
    It's suprised me how many bigots there are here; it's no way a disorder! I am gay, I didn't choose it, nor was I born it, I believe it came around because of life experiences.

All of my remaining family members when I was born were female; I never had any male influences til I was around 4/5. I believe this contributed to my homosexuality; and I also believe the fact my mum is in a civil relationship made me realise my orientation.

But, unlike many gay people, I can accept that some people simply don't like the lifestyle, and that's fine, until it results in hate crime. I know discrimination is bad, but to be quite honest, I've accepted that many minorities (Muslims, black people, Jews) have discrimination on many degrees.

I also think that countries and US states have the right to ban homosexuality or gay marriage. It's all to do with their common beliefs and if people are gay in those states or counties, then they should seek refuge in a different country/state to avert this. The death penalty however, is a stroke too far.

Years
    It's interesting to me the number of people who think sexual orientation is genetic. I honestly think that it varies from case to case. There is no one answer, just like most things in life.

I believe that for certain people, such events have happened in their lives that cause sexual orientation to be a choice. And I prefer to think of it as a choice, myself. Everyone makes such a big deal out of sexual orientation, probably because everyone makes a huge deal out of romance itself. But who says you have to be attracted to one specific gender all your life? If there weren't such taboos and prejudices linked to homosexuality, if it was as much an accepted part of our lives as doing the groceries once a week, I am convinced that many more people would be open to the idea of relations with those of the same sex, and would routinely switch between the two genders, just for kicks. Essentially, if it were not tabooed, a large sum of the population would be bisexual. And then you'd always have a small percentage that obviously don't follow the trends and stick to a specific gender for whatever reason.

I prefer to think of it like this: All your life, have you liked one single colour only? Has one colour been your favourite colour since you can remember? Some of you, sure, maybe, and cool for you. But not me, and I'm willing to bet not most of you either. Why did that change? Red used to be your favourite colour, but now it's second-best to green. You can't explain it, you just prefer the shade, you like what it reminds you of, how it makes you feel. Liking a colour, liking anything, is an attraction. Now you see where I'm going with this. Sexual orientation is an attraction and it can change. Not overnight, definitely not, but it can change. And the only reason why it can change is because everyone assumes their child is straight from birth.

However, there are always and always will be cases that disprove my view. You can all promote the notion that sexual orientation is genetic, and I won't disagree (completely) because I used to think that way too. But I've thought about it and this is the conclusion I've come to.

tl;dr it's a choice.

I have to say I agree with this. I found your color analogy kinda strange, but I can kinda see where you are going.

Like you said, sexual orientation of a choice as to who are you attracted to. Tastes do change. There have people gay people who have gone straight or decided they were bisexual. And from a quote that I've been taught in the bible along time ago, it was kinda hinting that one can change their sexuality if they choose to.

But like you, I'd would probably be jumped for this. :-/

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
    Even though favourite colours and tastes and stuff change, you can't consciously change them yourself. Is red your favourite colour because you chose it to be? If it is, then it's not really your favourite colour, it's just what you tell people is.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
    It's suprised me how many bigots there are here; it's no way a disorder! I am gay, I didn't choose it, nor was I born it, I believe it came around because of life experiences.
    I've been saying that for a long time, glad someone who is actually Gay finally brought it up too.
    I also think that countries and US states have the right to ban homosexuality or gay marriage. It's all to do with their common beliefs and if people are gay in those states or counties, then they should seek refuge in a different country/state to avert this. The death penalty however, is a stroke too far.
    I can't quite agree with you there. The US is built upon freedom and equality, meaning that everyone, regardless of race/gender/sexuality should be treated equal. That's obviously not actually the case, but that doesn't mean you should stop fighting to make it happen.

-ty-

Don't Ask, Just Tell
    Years
    I've been saying that for a long time, glad someone who is actually Gay finally brought it up too.

I can't quite agree with you there. The US is built upon freedom and equality, meaning that everyone, regardless of race/gender/sexuality should be treated equal. That's obviously not actually the case, but that doesn't mean you should stop fighting to make it happen.

It's tough deciding as you say what is going "too far". Of course the death penalty is, as you stated. But, what about marriage? If that is not too far, then the right to vote could be acceptable as well. For example, in a Missouri Republican straw poll in 2010, the data showed that more people believed that biracial marriage should be illegal, than those who believed it should be legal. If the state had a proposition, and favored to illegalize biracial marriage, would that be going to far? Just because a people share a common belief, does if make it right? I think that is the reason why groups that have been oppressed, especially in the past, like women, black people, disabled people, gay people, and so on and so forth, never stop advocating rights, even when they are approaching equity. The reason being, they do not want to slide back and say, "well they can take away our right to vote, or marriage, because the public believes that." Once you start giving rights to people, they end up getting more and more right, like a domino effect until they become more equitable. The same could be true for taking away right. Once you take one away, it becomes more acceptable to keep taking and taking. So long story short, maybe being complacent with what rights you have, knowing that you still are not treated as an equal, could lead to complacency of more rights being taken away.

But I definitely agree that in MOST cases, the majority belief should be taken into account.

I have to say I agree with this. I found your color analogy kinda strange, but I can kinda see where you are going.

Like you said, sexual orientation of a choice as to who are you attracted to. Tastes do change. There have people gay people who have gone straight or decided they were bisexual. And from a quote that I've been taught in the bible along time ago, it was kinda hinting that one can change their sexuality if they choose to.

But like you, I'd would probably be jumped for this. :-/

I can see how you see sexuality as a choice, since you are not GBLT. But try to look at it from a different perspective. What if being straight was called an "abomination" in the bible, and it was not a social norm. If someone asked you to change your sexuality and become gay, do you think a straight person could do that?

If the world really was like that, and gay was the norm. I think that it is POSSIBLE that I would come to the conclusion that sexuality is a choice.

I really want to know what your thoughts are; don't worry I will respect your opinion this time.

Last edited:

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
    Years
    woI think some people are more flexible than others. Some people are what they are and can't change it. Others might be able to choose who they like physically. But emotional love is something no one can choose or control. I think you have to fall in love to find out for sure. I'm pretty sure you're born the way you are too. There is nothing wrong with homosexuality either. It's not a disease nor is it anything to be ashamed of. I like women but I'm not uncomfortable with the idea of falling in love with a man. I just have to wait to fall in love to find out. And there's definitely a difference between opinion and bigotry. "Homosexuality isn't wrong" isn't just an opinion, it's a fact. Anyone who thinks there's something wrong with it, that's not an opinion, that's prejudice. It shouldn't be used as an insult either.

On a side note, I think saying "gay" when complaining about something isn't as wrong as it seems. I know quite a few people who are tolerant of homosexuals, but still use "gay" when complaining. They don't actually think gay is bad, it's just something they say as a completely different definition. Although I can see how it can be offensive, it just depends on how they use it and what you think of it. I just don't think it's a 100% offensive.

Also, I've been wondering, has there ever been any game with a homosexual main character? One of the three main characters in my hack is a homosexual, and while it's not the focus of the game, it's something I hope people can learn to tolerate. And NOT just because she's a female. I hate it when people are okay with lesbians but not gay men.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 8, 2012
    To be honest, I hope if I have a son one day that he is gay. haha. I am like Will's crazy ex-wife from Glee!

Don't worry I am joking; I would love my son if he was straight too! The truth is that gay, straight, lesbian, transgender, bisexual, poly-amorous, and everyone else in between do not choose to have their brains release certain response stimuli in accordance to sexual orientation. I think for some people, chemicals send mixed signals, and they kind of have to "experiment" with sexuality and love.

Years
    I can see how you see sexuality as a choice, since you are not GBLT. But try to look at it from a different perspective. What if being straight was called an "abomination" in the bible, and it was not a social norm. If someone asked you to change your sexuality and become gay, do you think a straight person could do that?

If the world really was like that, and gay was the norm. I think that it is POSSIBLE that I would come to the conclusion that sexuality is a choice.

I really want to know what your thoughts are; don't worry I will respect your opinion this time.

If the bible said that being straight was wrong and being gay was the way to the pearly white gates, then I'd have to chose to be gay because I don't want to to go to the inferno. Plus, it would be another thing for people to point fingers and laugh at me about.

If I was asked to change me sexuality however, that would be hard for me because I can't see myself being into girls. I can't see myself living that lifestyle.

Back