• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Serious How's your area faring?

Years
    • Seen today
    A few months into the pandemic, so I'm curious how other areas of the world are doing, if anybody would like to share. You don't have to explicitly say where you live.

We hit phase 2, restaurants are back with limited capacity indoors. Amusement Parks are also supposed to be returning. I'm not entirely sure if that one is true.

My family isn't exactly trusting yet so we haven't done much. My birthday is also in a few days, but I've been blessed to do so many things over the years so I can't really complain about being home. I already found a movie I look forward to renting on my birthday.

For those further in the reopening process, have you ventured into the activities that have reopened? Or maybe you work in some of those fields.

DragonKing48

The King Of All Dragons.
    Years
  • Not well at all. Pretty much everyone here either doesn't believe any of it/and /or doesn't care. To the point of walking right by you with no mask. At this point there isn't anything left to say as it's not getting better at all any day now.

Eleanor

Princess Era 🎀
    Years
  • North-eastern Italy here!
    Things actually seem to be going well! Numbers say that, in my region, there are only about 10 people under intensive care, and they're all now negative to covid tests. New cases are still coming up here and there but they're usually less than 5 every new day, and are usually less troublesome from the point of view of symptoms.

This appears to be because of two reasons: first, there really seems to be a weaker variant of covid circulating in our area, which has been isolated in Brescia; and second, people who get ill come into contact with a smaller quantity of viral particles at once, giving milder symptoms. The situation is also going well because of the safety precautions, which are somehow still in effect (more on that later), but also because it's not winter: the virus seems a bit weaker, not nearly as resistant in the air outside, and (most importantly) there aren't other viruses circulating, like the flu.

As for safety measures, we're going towards the "Phase 3" which includes the reopening of basically everything else that still was closed. This includes movie theathers, clubs, and similar. Children facilities like kindergartens are already trying to reopen, as it's a big help for families who're starting to get back to work, but with steeper prices per month due to all the safety measures. Leaving your region is allowed, and so is reaching many neighboring countries - including Slovenia, which apparently has been one of the first nations to have no new cases for almost a month now. Face masks and social distancing are still in place, but you're no longer required to wear masks outside unless you're really close to someone else: not everyone really follows the rules perfectly, but the majority of people seems to be doing well enough.

There's an application coming out from the government which is meant to trace all the new cases and notify you if you come into contact with an ill person but... this is what is still puzzling. I for one don't really understand the utility of this, as people who have the virus should still be quarantining and getting healed rather than going around like it's nothing, and testing still isn't that easy to accomplish - so far, it's usually reserved for certain categories of workers, and for people who need to stay in hospital for a while. I still don't think that all the people with covid can be found through testing - which admittedly, is the only sufficiently reliable tool at our disposal to do so - meaning, I do think there are still people who have covid and go untested. After all, asymptomatic positives ARE not an invention! It has been discovered HERE of all places on Earth.

All of this said... I can't really complain. Economic help from the government isn't the best and they still seem very confused about what to do, but we as a nation have really seen worse days. Scientists, local governors, doctors are already preparing for a supposed second wave of covid in the autumn, determined not to repeat what happened back in March, and my university may also reopen soon. To everyone who's reading... we'll all get out of this <3

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    We still have the second highest total case and death count for the US here in New Jersey, but the numbers for new cases and deaths per day have been trending down for a while. We're not one of the states seeing a resurgence in covid right now.

But I expect that the numbers will go back up in all the states in time, the country re-opened before it should have.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • Madrid got one of the highest death rates in the world, 11% of the population infected and a magnificently shitty state government to mismanage it all. We're on phase 2, pretty much everything is back open with limited capacity and mandatory masks forever. On the plus side, we have cut daily cases and deaths to a trickle so the goal is to keep it this way.

Years
  • nyc is doing very, very well. on june 13 only 2 people died due to covid, and our positive test rate has been around 2-3% for two weeks. still, our governor is being really ridiculous and threatening to extend when we move into our next phases despite very good stats and people are really getting fed up with it. most people I see supported the shutdown for months but at this point, almost every one of them have decided enough is enough and we need to open. it's ridiculous /:

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    We still have the second highest total case and death count for the US here in New Jersey, but the numbers for new cases and deaths per day have been trending down for a while. We're not one of the states seeing a resurgence in covid right now.

But I expect that the numbers will go back up in all the states in time, the country re-opened before it should have.

This. The majority of our workforce commutes to NYC or highly populated areas like Trenton / Elizabeth / Newark, we have the notoriously famous Jersey Shore who is chomping at the bit to reopen asap, and lastly since 9/11 we've become the largest international trade port in the north east. Moreover, NJ is the most densely populated state per mile. With the protests going on, I expect the number of cases to trend upwards again.

But, all that said, things are surprisingly tame at the moment. The increase of cases has slowed somewhat and reopening the state fully is still a ways off. No doubt things will get worse before they eventually get better permanently, but for the time being we're fairing pretty okay in northern NJ.

Years
    • Age 23
    • She/Her
    • Canada
    • Seen Apr 15, 2024
    I live in Western Canada and the majority of businesses in my province have re-opened and things have returned to normal. Of course, social distancing measures are still in place and many establishments have limits as to how many people can congregate. Masks are not mandatory for the most part, however, public service workers are required to wear them. There are very few cases in my region and the majority of them are up north in rural areas.

There have been a few individuals who have entered my place of work in a huff complaining of the restrictions whilst insisting that COVID-19 is a government scheme and a hoax. Of course, these uneducated individuals are a vocal minority, however, they are a nuisance nonetheless.

Bay

Years
  • My city has the third highest of total cases in the county, so I'm still pretty worried. The county so far approved the accelerated reopening and my city is starting to do that soon with places like nail salons and tattoo parlors due to reopen this week.

Years
  • Things are almost back to normal here in Western Australia. Just about everything is opening back up, although there's restrictions on the number of people a place can have around at any given time. Our borders are also still closed because the eastern states aren't faring quite as well as us and our premier is taking no chances. He's been so good, I hope he goes to the federal government after his term is up.

budube

Hi I'm Cube
    Years
    • Age 24
    • She / They
    • Seen Apr 30, 2024
    We are getting like 90 days more of curfiew, and we'll probably get extended quarantine

DragonKing48

The King Of All Dragons.
    Years
  • It's almost mindblowing to see people still talk about Quarantine...that's been done almost 2 months here and Alabama never really gave a shit and said it's because people hate Donald Trump and that's the whole reason for it....

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • It's almost mindblowing to see people still talk about Quarantine...that's been done almost 2 months here and Alabama never really gave a shit and said it's because people hate Donald Trump and that's the whole reason for it....

Alabama is a very scary place.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
  • Here in Raleigh. They canceled curfew for the protests after a few days. Lots of embarrassing LARPing from our totally overfunded, paranoid police department. Some really passionate stuff from protestors. My friend Matt got trampled there by a cop while protesting.

As for COVID, it's the status quo in most of America: no one cares. I just think of it like "welcome to the apocalypse". There's no way our society is going to be prepared, so resignation to the previous norm is the only path forward. Around here, that looks really nice, because it means a lot of young people raring to go back to work. Lots of good vibes in coffee shops to be had from that.

Back