• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I Can Speak Latin!

Somewhere_

i don't know where
Years
  • I can speak English, and I take Spanish classes. I wouldnt mind being fluent in Spanish because its sort of relevant to me, but its not really a goal or anything of mine.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • English and Japanese, and a tiny bit of Spanish, but I'm a bit rusty since it's been a while since I've had the opportunity to use it. I've always wanted to learn Korean, just because it's cool looking and I like the way it sounds :)

polymorphism

[SPAN="color: #91D1FF; font-family: Noto Serif JP;
    Years
  • This thread was made for me.

So I am an absolute language freak and love l love languages when I get interested in them. I am particularly interested in western European languages with a focus on Germanic ones at the moment.

Anyway let's answer the questions put forward. The easy one is of course English, I was born in America so this is probably hardly a surprise. I've been speaking English my whole life and it's what I was brought up speaking.

Next up we have French which I began learning in 2008 when I took a class in my high school on French. I took 5 school years of French so I continued to learn French in a formal setting until 2013. I have talked a little bit to Mawa in French and she said I was fairly good but I think she was just being nice. That being said I could get by if I was to suddenly be dropped in France.

Next up is German (I'm assuming some form of Low German but I was never explicitly told). I was taught German in high school; which I began learning my junior year alongside French IV. German is a language I recently picked up again due do a resurgent interest in Bavaria and Switzerland. I know I'd have to learn the southern dialects but I think I'd be up to the challenge after a nice base knowledge is acquired. German seems relatively straight forward and not too difficult besides perhaps plurals.

Last year I really picked up an interest in Swedish which has since fallen off but I would still like to pick it back up again in the future. I can say basic things like, "Jag talar lite svenska." I can also pronounce the stupid sk- sound in Swedish... fuck skägg... I do have an intense interest in Swedish though and I think it's a pretty simple language too.

Lastly the language I've been picking and spending the most time learning recently is Dutch. Dutch provided a challenge which has really proven difficult. My first main attempt before starting the language was to practice the Dutch g which sounds similar to sk in Swedish and ch in German but a lot more guttural. I've been beginning to practice more of the actual language though. Dutch has a lot of weird spelling and it's very difficult to pronounce but I'm really going to try to stick with it.

As for what I'd like to learn? I'd like to learn Swedish, German, and Dutch obviously. Outside of those languages I'd like to learn Icelandic, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Japanese, Korean, and Mandarin.

Margot

some things are that simple
    Years
    • they/he
    • Seen Apr 16, 2022
    English, obvs.

I have a little working knowledge of Spanish and French, which isn't saying much. Basically, if I were lost in France or Mexico, I probably wouldn't die.

I also know verrrry little Arabic. Enough to tell my family overseas "hi" and "how are you?" and "I'm doing good, I love you, bye!!" Which is depressing. My Dad tried really hard to teach me it as a kid, but I wasn't having any of it. One of my big goals in life is to be able to speak and read in Arabic. The last time I tried going hard at it (and failed) I was able to read it pretty decently and my Dad says my script for the symbols is really good. I WILL ONE DAY.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    I speak English mainly. And whatever small remnants of Spanish that I remember from six years of classes.

The language that I'd like to learn is Japanese, and I've started to teach myself that. I would like to reacquaint myself with Spanish, and I was told to also learn Mandarin Chinese, which I wouldn't mind.

tonbo

~(˘▾˘~)
    Years
  • normally i can speak english fairly well. apart from that, i know a solid portion of dutch, 3 years worth of high school japanese, and one year of latin (which i dropped because it's dull af)

i want to learn another one this year, tossing up between french, portuguese and polish. any tips?

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    Fluently, I only speak English and Cantonese, both of which I have known since I learned how to talk. Languages I have taken classes for are French, Latin and Mandarin but I would not be confident enough to actually try to speak them outside of a classroom setting (where everyone else sucks :P).

Gligar

Bruhfication Sayan
    Years
  • I'm a guy of many languages.

1- English
    Learnt it while at school. To be honest, if it wasn't a universal language, I wouldn't really have learnt it. Many better alternatives.

2- French
    I grew up with it. Everywhere I lived in a french speaking country, so I was kinda forced to learn it. It helped a lot in learning other languages though.

3- Berber
    I had to learn this language to not be a disgrace to my whole family. I absolutely hate the tone of this language. It's so weird you don't even know.

4- Arabic
    I recently moved to Dubai, and it would only be fitting to learn it. Plus, it compulsory to learn it at school, so yeah.

5- Spanish
    Believe it or not, it's the only language I actually chose to learn. I frequently practice and hope to become fluent one day

Languages I'm also interested in learning are Japanese and Swedish.

Aurora

seven years here and i finally figure out how to d
    Years
  • I can only speak English competently. However, I tried learning Estonian and Portuguese at different points during the last three years, and got half-decent at constructing simple sentences with both languages before losing interest. I would like to learn a Romance language (or Estonian) at some point in time, preferably Italian so I can talk to my relatives in Italy.

Years
  • Learning languages is too hard and time consuming, so I don't want to learn any. I only know English because that's the language we teach in most schools here, I wouldn't care about learning English if I didn't have to learn it.

Years
  • English is my native language, so of course I'm fluent in it. I took several years of Spanish in high school and, while not exactly fluent, I can understand most Spanish things. I also know Japanese at an elementary level after several years of on and off self-studying. I know very little French, but I want to keep learning that too.

Other languages that I want to learn but probably will never have the time for are Russian, Romanian, and Korean.

Altius

Flygon Fan
    Years
  • Fluent in English, Mandarin and Hakka Chinese. I can understand Cantonese, but am a bit too shy to speak it.

I wish to learn and be fluent in Japanese, but don't have the time.

Years
  • The language I was taught as a little kid was English of course, because you know we were in America. On the other hand, my mother is Jamaican, so I also speak Jamaican Patois. I can speak a little Spanish from the class I'm taking right now, and I can speak some Japanese, although I'm not confident at all to have a conversation with a native Spanish/Japanese speaker.

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
    Years
  • I am fluent in, in chronological order of me learning the languages, Russian, Ukrainian, English and French. My Ukrainian is a bit rusty though, because I haven't spoken it in a while now.

I tried learning Spanish, and I think I could have mastered it as well if I put in the time. But I simply didn't have the time nor the motivation to learn it, I remember most of the rules (it is very close to French) but my vocabulary is very, very poor :) .

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    I learned Spanish in Jr. High/High School. I forgot it the year after I learned it.

I would like to truly learn something like German or French though. Was forced into taking Spanish, so I half-assed my way through it just to pass the class.

Years
  • I took four years worth of French in high school and two years of it in college, my freshman and sophomore year, and....I promptly forgot most of the conjugations and whatnot within a year, haha. I can comprehend it still, but I'm not anywhere close to being fluent anymore. :<

Sirfetch’d

I took four years worth of French in high school and two years of it in college, my freshman and sophomore year, and....I promptly forgot most of the conjugations and whatnot within a year, haha. I can comprehend it still, but I'm not anywhere close to being fluent anymore. :<

This is basically me but with Spanish. I took two years of it and was quite fluent for some time but it's been 4 years since I have actually spoken any Spanish and I've forgotten most of it :( I can probably comprehend phrases and what not but if you ask me to speak it....I am not sure that I can. I would like to relearn it sometime along with Japanese if I ever get some free time to learn :)

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
  • English is the obvious, but since I'm Filipino I should be able to speak Tagalog. Should being the keyword because although I can understand like 95% if everything. I can barely speak it in sense due to my past/present/ future tense words constantly mixing up and forgetting specific words. My parents practice their English on me, so I don't usually get to practice at home or anywhere really.

I was taught French, German, Spanish, Mandarin and a bit of the compulsory Te reo Māori taking about 2 years of each within intermediate and secondary school, but I haven't done any study for any of them in years so I'm pretty much a clean palette :c

Japanese I would want to learn, but I don't have much free time while I'm still at university.

Back