• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

~Invincible and Legendary~ *Dragon-Type Pokemon Fan Club*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Dec 1, 2014
    I think the immunity makes sense and = it out more. Hmm i dont think dragon would be supereffective against bug just effective. Im not sure but maybe poison. I think it would equal it out more and dragons being poisoned? No doesnt happen they can only die by being frozen in ice or being stayed by a knight with a sword (steel) i couldn't see it being weak to any others especially any of the 5 ice, electric, grass, fire, water.

Steel is not super effective on dragon it only resists it

Idk y but I feel dat dragons shld be super effective on rock

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    Do you all think that Pokemon dragons could beat dragons from other video games?

Maybe! As said, some dragon types just doesn't seem well-suited to vs their own kind. Take Altaria for example and pit it against a real life dragon like StarPika said. I think in terms of dueling, the second dragon would come out on top. It might be a stab in the dark but it's usually a safe assumption that something that looks like it could actually rip your face into two compared to a fluffy bird would come out on top. I know there's the 'don't judge a book by its cover' sort of saying but yeahhh really, it just has a design that would scream 'never loses' and tougher resistances than a normal pokemon.

I think the answer here depends on which dragons you match against each other + factors such as the features of their design, possible things the dex entry would tell us about x pokemon and other information. A general answer would be to say that dragon types could beat them but it'd be more likely that they'd tie on most levels. Unless the dragon is severely lacking of power or is really gentle, I'd imagine they each have counters to each other's strengths whether its through tough skin or equally hitting counterattacks. Some dragon types are also bound to perform much more well than others - (see stuff like Rayquaza and all the other dragon type legendaries). Anything vs Spyro would win though. And perhaps any dragon type pitted vs the dragons from HTTYD.

Sorry if that didn't really give a clear answer but I think they'd go equal if they were to duel vs video/real-life dragons. Again, it's a question very dependent on matchups etc.

Steel is not super effective on dragon it only resists it

I think they made rock neutral to dragons because while dragons are fully capable of crushing rocks, (which might be your reasoning here?) rocks can also impair a dragon's ability to fly as it does with flying types. So the two kinda cancel out if that makes sense. It's definitely a type matchup that would work though! =P

Years
  • Some Dragon-types probably wouldn't be strong enough to stand up to other dragons in other franchises, such as Altaria or Druddigon. But bigger dragons, including legendaries, Hydreigon, Salamence, etcetera? Possibly. x) Not many other games have dragons that can spam meteor storms!

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
    Years
  • Steel is not super effective on dragon it only resists it

Its not the same but if u send a dragon out against steel it doesnt have much of a chance using its normal dragon type moves.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Do you all think that Pokemon dragons could beat dragons from other video games?
    I don't believe that they would be able to do this, per se. First and foremost is, we would need to figure out if Pokémon attacks tend to affect other animals aside from their own. In-anime, we've seen Ash get hurt when he's struck by certain attacks by his Pokémon, but he seems to shake them off pretty easily, which might imply that aside from Pokémon themselves, their moves don't do much harm to life.

If we go by that route, I don't believe they would be able to take down dragons from other video game series. Perhaps they would be able, but I could imagine them putting a lot more effort than usual in order to achieve such a feat.

However, if I'm wrong, which is definitely possible, and Pokémon attacks affect each and every living thing equally, it might be a completely different story. Since dragons are super-effective against dragons in Pokémon, same method would apply when they're carried over to other series, and with that, they likely wouldn't be having much trouble (aside from those that are slow, have low defensive or offensive stats, and so forth).

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    That's an interesting point to bring up actually! It's certainly strange that pokemon haven't demonstrated an ability to be able to fully kill another pokemon or human but instead faint or injure them. However if this were the case, I think their attacks would be very weak in a one on one situation. In pokemon, they are all of similar ability so the intensity wouldn't matter at all. That's definitely true.

Even so, would dragons of another series have some sort of empowerment that'd make them less affected by dragon attacks from pokemon? If the case of dragon beating dragon were applied than those dragons would also have an easier time taking down a pokemon. It all gets pretty complicated as you think further into it but I honestly never thought of anything you just brought up. So thanks for that! ^^

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Haha, perhaps they could? Dragons from other series would likely be categorized as animals, and not Pokémon (even if they're based off them, I don't believe they are still the same), which might possibly come into play.

Dedenne1

Years
  • Haha, perhaps they could? Dragons from other series would likely be categorized as animals, and not Pokémon (even if they're based off them, I don't believe they are still the same), which might possibly come into play.

I could never look at a dragon and say animal lol more like mythical flying beast unless your a Druddigon then your no longer a flying beast lol.

Ive been saving up questions and here's a good one...

Do you think all dragon type pokemon should be able to fly?
    Hehe happy discussing!

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Do you think all dragon type Pokémon should be able to fly?
    Yep, I definitely believe they should be. In media, tales, stories, and so forth, many of us were taught dragons to be mythical, flying creatures, and seeing some of them--Haxorus, for example--not being able to do such a thing wouldn't necessarily make sense for some of us.

Though, it's definitely understandable so to why some dragon-types cannot fly. There are other kinds of animals out there that resemble dragons, such as dinosaurs, for instance, and since we don't necessarily have a type-group for latter (even though I believe it would be nice if we had), they tend to categorize those Pokémon into a typing that resemble closely, if we know what I mean.

Due to similar reasons, I also believe it would be nice if all dragon-type Pokémon were able to learn Flamethrower and whatnot--most of us take dragons to have ability to breathe fire, and I feel it would be nice if Pokémon were to live up to this as well.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    It does make sense for most Dragons to be able to fly, but there's some I really can't imagine flying. Like try imagining Tyrantrum or Mega Ampharos flying. It'd look kinda weird and there's really no way for them to fly. Then you have ones like Kingdra and Dragalge that are meant to be more aquatic creatures.

I still find it odd that Garchomp is still unable to use Fly in the games despite its PokeDex entries stating that it can fly like a fighter jet.

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
  • Do you think all dragon type Pokémon should be able to fly?

Kingdra and Dragalge definitely shouldn't be able to since they are aquatic dragons that don't show any kind of flying ability at all. Garchomp is a land shark and dragon combo, so that wouldn't make any sense, and I can't see Haxorus flying either because it just doesn't look right. Most of the lower forms of Dragon-types shouldn't be able to, like Bagon/Shelgon, Deino/Zweilous, etc.

TL;DR, no.

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023

Hold up there! You're assuming that dragon types are exactly like their mythology counterpart. Not all of them are winged fire-breathing creatures. :(

I won't disagree that most of them fly but not all of them should be able to. In the case of dragons that have some way of physically flying, yes they should fly. The only exceptions that I could think of to this is possibly things like Dragonite who have tiny wings that'd hardly be able to carry its own body weight, let alone other trainers. (though it can fly so we'll disregard that).

And I guess aquatic dragons have the ability to operate underwater therefore not needing to be able to fly. So I think that while most dragon types can/should be able to fly, there's also a majority that make up for being flightless in having another skill/ability like other people have previously mentioned.

Garchomp flying could work! I think GF doesn't necessarily mean what they say in their dex entries though. Sure Pidgeot might be able to fly at Mach 2 but we have no indication of super fast speed compared to other flying types. :(

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Based on Garchomp's PokéDex entry and whatnot, it does say that it's able to fly, as Zekrom had said, so it would indeed be interesting to see it execute such a thing in-game and in-anime.

Though, one issue I see of this is, if they are unable to carry out reasoning of its flying ability throughout a good portion of fans, I would imagine most of us to be confused as to how it manages to do it. They have sort of done this with Dodrio and Dudo, which has caused us to constantly wonder as to how these Pokémon actually learn to fly, even though they don't have wings (I suppose they could be spinning their heads like a helicopter of sorts, but would there be any other way aside from this?).

Dedenne1

Years
  • Do you think all dragon type Pokémon should be able to fly?
    Yep, I definitely believe they should be. In media, tales, stories, and so forth, many of us were taught dragons to be mythical, flying creatures, and seeing some of them--Haxorus, for example--not being able to do such a thing wouldn't necessarily make sense for some of us.

Though, it's definitely understandable so to why some dragon-types cannot fly. There are other kinds of animals out there that resemble dragons, such as dinosaurs, for instance, and since we don't necessarily have a type-group for latter (even though I believe it would be nice if we had), they tend to categorize those Pokémon into a typing that resemble closely, if we know what I mean.

Due to similar reasons, I also believe it would be nice if all dragon-type Pokémon were able to learn Flamethrower and whatnot--most of us take dragons to have ability to breathe fire, and I feel it would be nice if Pokémon were to live up to this as well.
    I agree i believe that dragons are unique in every way due to them being mythological they can be viewed as flying creatures to land creatures to water creatures.

It does make sense for most Dragons to be able to fly, but there's some I really can't imagine flying. Like try imagining Tyrantrum or Mega Ampharos flying. It'd look kinda weird and there's really no way for them to fly. Then you have ones like Kingdra and Dragalge that are meant to be more aquatic creatures.

I still find it odd that Garchomp is still unable to use Fly in the games despite its PokeDex entries stating that it can fly like a fighter jet.
    Indeed dragons in general in what many people view them are flying creatures but in the games it kinda showcases all the beliefs of dragons not just the flying ones we know but the ground ones as well although Druddigon has "wings" it cant fly.

Do you think all dragon type Pokémon should be able to fly?

Kingdra and Dragalge definitely shouldn't be able to since they are aquatic dragons that don't show any kind of flying ability at all. Garchomp is a land shark and dragon combo, so that wouldn't make any sense, and I can't see Haxorus flying either because it just doesn't look right. Most of the lower forms of Dragon-types shouldn't be able to, like Bagon/Shelgon, Deino/Zweilous, etc.

TL;DR, no.
    Haha yes Garchomp is a land shark but he can fly in the anime which is weird in a way.

Hold up there! You're assuming that dragon types are exactly like their mythology counterpart. Not all of them are winged fire-breathing creatures. :(

I won't disagree that most of them fly but not all of them should be able to. In the case of dragons that have some way of physically flying, yes they should fly. The only exceptions that I could think of to this is possibly things like Dragonite who have tiny wings that'd hardly be able to carry its own body weight, let alone other trainers. (though it can fly so we'll disregard that).

And I guess aquatic dragons have the ability to operate underwater therefore not needing to be able to fly. So I think that while most dragon types can/should be able to fly, there's also a majority that make up for being flightless in having another skill/ability like other people have previously mentioned.

Garchomp flying could work! I think GF doesn't necessarily mean what they say in their dex entries though. Sure Pidgeot might be able to fly at Mach 2 but we have no indication of super fast speed compared to other flying types. :(
    Well im not assuming it haha im just thinking how everyone views dragons although i love mythology dragons are usually only looked upon as fire breathing flying beasts which if you look at other aspects is untrue others like water dragons may have wings or rather a serpent body but dont fly they dive and breathe underwater others like Garchomp are land sharks but in the games he cant use fly while in the anime he does (Cynthia's)
    Mmmm I don't think so.
    I must agree with Aslan that you can't compare their speed with the flying types. If GF would put an enormous speed on dragon type they would be too over powered. I think it is good to see that dragons are most of the time dual types c:
    The speed is definately something that is different flying types are usually fast (except tropious lol) while dragons well most of them are alittle slower although the traditional flying and dragon types in the game do have good average speed it doesnt compare to that of regular flying types.

No, As everybody said above. Lots of dragons are aquatic as well. And lots of things more, I don't want to say the same as everybody..

But, What Aslan said made me think. Why the Dex entries are wrong??, If Garchomp can fly based on the Dex, Why he can't learn fly?. GF is up to you to fix this.
    As I said in the anime he is showcased flying as Cynthia's pokemon idk why cant he use fly i wanna glide above the clouds on my Garchomp!

Ok that was a very interesting topic and i love the responses and totally agree! Now i have another question kinda similar...
    In pokemon dragons are showcased in different ways Landsharks, Flying Beasts, Fire Breathing, And so on.... In mythology and such we have a little bit of a wider range of dragons which each being unique. Now in your opinion what new dragon type would you likes to see based off of dragons in stories/mythology and so on that GF hasnt considered yet? Ex. Sea Serpent Water/Dragon.

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    So basically what sort of things we'd like to see in a new dragon that's based off something already existing or in mythology such as a sea serpent/hydra?

Well I know this already exists with Tyrantrum but what about incorporating dragons and dinosaurs into some sort of creature? It doesn't even have to be a t-rex or a normal winged dragon, it could be a long-necked dinosaur and a sea serpent together or so forth. I think Gamefreak could come up with some creative and colourful combos doing that but if not, another possibility could be an ice dragon. I love ice dragons so seeing one created for pokemon would be a dream come true. Besides, it's boring with all of the dragons breathing fire. Someone's gotta cool them down. :(

More landsharky dragons are another thumbs up from me but I'm honestly open to almost any idea! As long as they don't go for anything that's already been overdone, I'm good with whatever other people suggest/they actually come up with.

Dedenne1

Years
  • So basically what sort of things we'd like to see in a new dragon that's based off something already existing or in mythology such as a sea serpent/hydra?

Well I know this already exists with Tyrantrum but what about incorporating dragons and dinosaurs into some sort of creature? It doesn't even have to be a t-rex or a normal winged dragon, it could be a long-necked dinosaur and a sea serpent together or so forth. I think Gamefreak could come up with some creative and colourful combos doing that but if not, another possibility could be an ice dragon. I love ice dragons so seeing one created for pokemon would be a dream come true. Besides, it's boring with all of the dragons breathing fire. Someone's gotta cool them down. :(

More landsharky dragons are another thumbs up from me but I'm honestly open to almost any idea! As long as they don't go for anything that's already been overdone, I'm good with whatever other people suggest/they actually come up with.

There are a couple of dinosaurs in the game Aerodactyl, Aurorus, Tyrantrum, and Haxorus but i think if they did make a new dragon type it would be cool to base it off of a dinosaur without it being a rock type fossil or a fire breathing dragon. For the amount of dragons in game that are known to breathe fire there actually arent that many dragon/fire types ahah.

Years
  • Hm... Do I think all dragons should be able to fly? Well, most dragons from mythology are able to float somehow, whether they have wings or something like that, and there have been a lot of those in Pokémon. But not every Dragon-type should be able to fly, if its design doesn't tell you that it does (i.e. most basic stage ones, Goodra, etc), then it probably doesn't require it. I do wonder why Garchomp can't fly based on some of its Pokédex entries, though.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I'm rather fond of how they've carried this floating concept over to Rayquaza; it does help adding a bit of mythical feel to it. I believe same thing is applied to Gyarados, isn't it? Though, it's not a dragon-type in any way and cannot fully fly, which kind of sucks. It would have made a lot of sense if it were, as it was based off some dragon of sorts initially. However, if it were categorized in this particular type group, it would still likely be having dark as its secondary typing when it changes into its mega-evolution form, leaving this Pokémon super-weak to fairy-types. Even though they aren't very common at the moment, they do still play as threat.

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
  • Well Dragon Trainer said I could have the club during his absense, but since I just started a new club, I'd rather not have this one for now, so ownership has been transferred to StarPika11.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back