• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is Fly really that bad?

Lord Mike

Most Loyal Colts Fan on Earth
Years
  • I noticed that in that Fly isn't really that bad of a move.

I mean, in some sets it is and some sets it isn't.

Like Crobat for example.

Crobat@Leftovers
    Nature: Impish
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Def/252 Sp Def
    -Toxic
    -Fly
    -Confuse Ray
    -Sludge Bomb

So it has 90 accuracy! Its better than Protect in my opinion.

enyce

banned
    Years
  • I never thought it was bad. You can dodge one attack for a turn (well Thunder has a chance of hitting you, but not that much). Then do damage.

Yeah its better than protect. Its power is 70 then you get STAB wich makes it 105. Much better than Wing Attack. Plus in-game you can save much more time.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Yes, Fly really is that bad. I never understood why people think dodging an attack for a turn is good. It is not.

You say that Fly is better than Wing Attack, but I is horribly weaker. Keep in mind that while Fly is 70 AP, it takes TWO TURNS in order to deal that damage, not to mention the fact that you have two turns where there is a 10% chance your Fly will miss. Now, compare that to Wing Attack (or what I prefer in Aerial Ace) that is lower at 60 AP, but you can use it twice during the time you can only use Fly once. Simple math shows us that two attacks of WA/AA yields 120 damage while one attack of Fly yields only 70.

The ONLY benefit of Fly is when you use it on a Poke like Crobat that uses ToxiFuse, where the extra turn of Fly causes more damage to the opponent Poke. Other than that, Fly is worthless.

Ice demon

All purpose cleaner ^^
    Years
  • Other than the whole base power thing that shane's talking abt in his post above, there's always the possibility that ur opponent can switch to something resistant to flying moves when ur up in the air...Thats a full turn wasted and will probably end up with u being OHKO if its an electric type or a rock type.

BTW annoys such as ur crobat are looked down on.They draw out battles and dont get anything done in the process.
    Try
    Crobat[Adamant]@choice band
    -sludge bomb
    -aerial ace
    -steelwing/return/HP[ground/fighting]
    -shadow ball

HP[ground/fighting] is for NB.
    He makes one of the best heracross counters.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Bad?

Dude, Fly is awesome... its anything but bad to me.
    I actually rather like that attack. It lets my Pidgeot win lots of battles. ^^

Years
  • Drew said:
    Bad?

Obviously, you have never NBed

HP[Flying] does 70 base - the same as Fly - in 2 turns, so basiclly its a waste of time.

Smarties-chan

Should've had that name change
    Years
    • Age 22
    • Seen Sep 12, 2015
    What's up with the horrible EV spread? O.o

And either way, that moveset fails. Your opponent will be most likely to either switch in Blissey, Zappy, Raikou, Jolteon, Metagross and X amount of other things when you use Fly.

And you'll be screwed if your opponent switches in an Electric type the same turn you use Fly.

Fly would only work together with Mean Look, but a Choice Band Crobat seriously pwn every other Crobat set.
    Drew said:
    Bad?

If you think Fly is good, you either haven't played Netbattle, or... you lose most of your NB battles x_x

Lathspell

T3H GR34T WH1T3
    Years
  • CROBAT @ Leftovers
    Inner Focus

Fly
    Toxic
    Mean Look
    Confuse ray

Here's Trapbat :). That's a nice use for fly, but he isn't used anymore, you wonder why? Because he's lame these days because he gets killed by anything. Of course ingame anything is good, you can make the crappiest moveset in the world and still beat the entire game and the Elite 4. I did, the first time I played, but that's when I didn't know what the hell pokemon battles are. So, Yo, don't think you know better than the people here, because you don't. (Not including me, I'm rather new, but I think I can learn fast enough :P)

Lord Mike

Most Loyal Colts Fan on Earth
    Years
  • Doom Hammer said:
    CROBAT @ Leftovers
    Inner Focus

Fly
    Toxic
    Mean Look
    Confuse ray

Here's Trapbat :). That's a nice use for fly, but he isn't used anymore, you wonder why? Because he's lame these days because he gets killed by anything. Of course ingame anything is good, you can make the crappiest moveset in the world and still beat the entire game and the Elite 4. I did, the first time I played, but that's when I didn't know what the hell pokemon battles are. So, Yo, don't think you know better than the people here, because you don't. (Not including me, I'm rather new, but I think I can learn fast enough :P)

Wow! A Trapbat? Wow! Wow! Awsome! Sure.

I happened to get a Crobat with these stats.

HP-374
    Atk-291
    Def-266
    Sp Atk-91
    Sp Def-280
    Speed-332

Go ahead Doom Hammer! Find something wrong with this.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Even with those alleged stats, Trapbat fails in today's metagame. It worked in GSC, but CBbat is MUCH more effective.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Not sure what your post has to do with the topic at hand, but okay, your Crobat has good stats. Just make sure to teach it Aerial Ace instead of Fly.

Kataphraktoi

Prince
    Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2011
    Those stats must be sharked because they are too high for RSE. NB teambuilder cannot reach those stats with everything perfect.

Lathspell

T3H GR34T WH1T3
    Years
  • If you did manage to get those stats, don't know how, though, then why in the world would you waste them on a staller? You don't need toxic, you can go better with this

CROBAT @ Choice Band
    Inner Focus

Sludge Bomb
    Aerial Ace
    Shadow Ball
    HP Ground/Fighting/filler

Anyway, if there's no changing your mind, many people that know what they're saying tried to convince you, go with your bloody Fly. And I suggest that nobody should be wasting their time to tell you wrong.

Mullet

Banned
    Years
  • Ice demon said:
    Other than the whole base power thing that shane's talking abt in his post above, there's always the possibility that ur opponent can switch to something resistant to flying moves when ur up in the air...Thats a full turn wasted and will probably end up with u being OHKO if its an electric type or a rock type.

BTW annoys such as ur crobat are looked down on.They draw out battles and dont get anything done in the process.
    Try
    Crobat[Adamant]@choice band
    -sludge bomb
    -aerial ace
    -steelwing/return/HP[ground/fighting]
    -shadow ball

HP[ground/fighting] is for NB.
    He makes one of the best heracross counters.

Actually AA is just a substitute for HP [Flying] so in the second slot it's going to be AA/HP and in the third slot it's going to be Return.

Back