• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is nintendo just for kids?

Hero of Twilight

Rest in Peace Iwata.
Years
    • Seen Mar 5, 2016
    not sure if this belongs to Video games or discussion and debate, so please move if in wrong spot.

here's an scenario that i'm sure we've all gone through. We bring up in our talks with friends that we play games from nintendo in general, series don't matter, and we immediately get labeled as "gay" or "childish" because we play those games. We all know that this is not true, so what I would like to know, What are your thoughts on this generalization, and what would you say to someone who makes these generalizations?

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • To anyone that makes those generalizations:

- Play Mother 3 and/or Earthbound
    - Play Majora's Mask (almost any Zelda game really, they're all a bit wonky in some way)
    - The first mini-bosses of Kirby 64, Dark Matter, were DEFINITELY NOT OKAY nor the final boss
    - EXCUSE ME WHAT IS THIS NINTENDO

So that's just some SCARY THINGS Nintendo likes to you know, just put out there for us to remind us they do not **** around lol. You also have things like EV training in Pokemon which obviously isn't the easiest or most interesting thing for kids. Some story telling elements go over childrens' heads as well, like the dead Deku Scrub in Majora's Mask whose father finds him when the credits roll (something like that). Then there's the analysis that Chrono Trigger retells the Bible (I know it's Square's but it was on SNES so) as well as other analyses like Majora's Mask being the story of Link going through the phases of death. You can also consider where Nintendo gets ideas for things, such as what the River Twygz Bed from Super Paper Mario is based on or Giygas' origins.

In a lot of ways, Nintendo really isn't for kids. Some things tend to blow over us when we're kids and some scares us then and now. Going through and replaying games from our childhood, we notice some things and connections in the stories we love so much that we never even saw before. The same happens with movies, especially Disney movies, but that's another story for another day.

Most of the things people find childish tend to be the things they haven't dug into. The exterior may look nice and fluffy, but inside it's a bit more mature than it seemed.

I'm just gonna leave this here...it's seriously a spoiler though SO YEAH.
    Spoiler:

-vomit- That wasn't okay, Square. Like it actually makes me sick to look at. I'm dead serious.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • They don't appeal to the antsy teens, that's about it. Grade 7 or 8... was when I had the "kiddie" and "gay" labels thrown around for being Nintendo over Sony. After that smooth sailing.

A lot like Disney. Appeals to everyone, but the male-embarassed-to-be-seen-with-parents market is tough to crack

Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2017
    Nintendo is by no means targeted towards children only. There are plenty of games out there that focus more towards and older age group, as mentioned above. Sure they don't have the blood, gore, and super realistic violence of games featured on PS or Xbox but do those things really classify a system as being for teenagers and older patrons? Obviously not!

Regardless of the type of games a system features the main important thing is enjoying the games themselves. A game can have terrible graphics (looking at 007 Goldeneye for the N64) yet be so much fun to play...as a matter of fact it is one of my favorite games to play when I have friends over because we all love the nostalgia of the game itself and can always have some laughs as we play. Same thing goes for Super Smash Bros >.> I mean honestly who can not have fun playing that with friends?

So once again no Nintendo is not meant only for young children. It has games to suit a wide range of interests across all age groups.

welsknight

That Youtuber Guy
    Years
  • I've heard it, seen it, and played in spite of it.

Yes, I love Nintendo games. I also just turned 25, so I guess that means that I'm still a kid at heart, right?

As for responding, I don't really let labels and whatnot bother me. You can call me "gay" all you want, or label me as less manly than you. I'll put on my military uniform and continue to fight for your right to say that.

Care to join me? Didn't think so. (Aaaaaaaaaand boom goes the dynamite.)

Kyrul

Long Live The Note
    Years
  • Hell, I'm in the freakin' army and we've had a few Pokemon battle tournaments within my unit when we were bored. Just look at this forum, there are plenty of normal adults out there that still love nintendo games.

Those generalizations really aren't worth anything and I wouldn't let them bother you too much. Outside of high school they mean nothing.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • I think the fact that Nintendo bought Bayonetta to make Bayonetta 2 exclusive to them is reason enough that the company isn't just targeting a young audience.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • I think there is a pretty big difference between "all audiences" and "for kids". A game for all audiences has to be nice enough to appeal to kids and complex enough so mature audiences are entertained as well. "For kids" means that it's designed solely and specifically for that target, which is not the case in most Nintendo games. For kids is Cinderella's Adventures. All audiences is Pixar. That's the difference, and, in this case, I think Nintendo is far closer to Pixar than to anything else.

welsknight

That Youtuber Guy
    Years
  • Hell, I'm in the freakin' army and we've had a few Pokemon battle tournaments within my unit when we were bored. Just look at this forum, there are plenty of normal adults out there that still love nintendo games.

Those generalizations really aren't worth anything and I wouldn't let them bother you too much. Outside of high school they mean nothing.

Oh come on, soldier. You know the Army is basically high school., but with more bureaucracy. =P

OK, that's not entirely true. More like Kindergarten. But with weapons, and no naptime.

Kyrul

Long Live The Note
    Years
  • Oh come on, soldier. You know the Army is basically high school., but with more bureaucracy. =P

OK, that's not entirely true. More like Kindergarten. But with weapons, and no naptime.

And the alcohol. You can't forget about the alcohol!
    I hear Fort Jackson has naptime...

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • I'm just gonna leave this here as my reason why Nintendo isn't just for kids:

Spoiler:

There's also Eternal Darkness and Fatal Frame. Both of which are owned by Nintendo, with the latter having recently been bought.

I think the fact that Nintendo bought Bayonetta to make Bayonetta 2 exclusive to them is reason enough that the company isn't just targeting a young audience.
    Nintendo hasn't bought Bayonetta per say, as SEGA technically still owns the rights to the series, as shown from Bayonetta 2's credits. They only funded the development and published it under their name, much like the Professor Layton games, the Yokui Watch games, and Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge. It's also why I wish people should stop asking for Bayonetta in Smash because of this misconception.

Hero of Twilight

Rest in Peace Iwata.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 5, 2016
    to those who still aren't convinced by these great arguments, i point you to Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. and the metroid series as a whole. if these are considered kids games, today's generation is tougher then i thought

Years
  • To be honest I can understand why some people would think Nintendo games are "childish," as a lot of kids grew up with playing Mario and Pokemon which are franchises that pretty much the face of Nintendo.

It doesn't mean I support those views, though.

Edit: I JUST happened to come across this... Yup, Nintendo is definitely just for kids: https://www.gamnesia.com/news/nintendo-and-playboy-team-up-to-promote-bayonetta-2

Last edited:

Kameken

URYYYYYYYYY
    Years
  • A lot of Nintendo games are geared more toward entire families, rather than just the young children, actually.

Other than that, I'd say; for kids, yes, but not only for kids. As you grow older you tend to find that the best things for kids appeal to adults as well. This applies to movies, vidya, tv, whatever. For example, I watched shows like Teen Titans and Samurai jack when I was young, but I still like watching old episodes today, as do many others. Similarly, I still find fun in games like Kirby's Adventure and Majora's Mask.

Anyone who says that an adult can't enjoy things for kids is being an edgy scrublord. Don't be an edgy scrublord.

Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2017
    Many of Nintendo's games are targeted towards children. They're quirky and colourful, but that doesn't mean the rest of the family can't enjoy playing them too.

If other people wanna judge, let them. Life's too short to care about what other people think. It's better to spend it having fun, haha.

Back