• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Lowered catch rates and other shady stuff

Years
    • Seen Aug 8, 2016
    This is exactly why I do not go after those Pokemon I have already caught and already evolved anymore. True I could increase there strength, but not at the expense of losing 5-7 Pokeballs to try and catch a Pidgey or something like that.

You're hurting yourself in-game, since you miss out on a ton of levelling XP from popping a lucky egg and evolving all those low Pokemon at once.

However, I do agree that Pokemon are breaking out far too often now.

Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2016
    Sorry I'm too lazy to read every post so I don't know if it's been mentioned but YES.
    It has been confirmed that Niantic lowered the catch rate. It is now IMPOSSIBLE to throw better than a terrible throw. All your throws are considered between 0 and 1 from their servers. It used to be something like 1-1.3 = Nice, 1.3-1.7 = Great and 1.7+ for Excellent

Years
  • You're hurting yourself in-game, since you miss out on a ton of levelling XP from popping a lucky egg and evolving all those low Pokemon at once.

However, I do agree that Pokemon are breaking out far too often now.
    I totally agree with you, but my main goal in the game is catching new Pokemon. I live in an area that is rural and does not have very many Pokestops. I can't be driving distance all the time getting Pokeballs because I am using a ton of them to catch Pokemon I have.

Hiidoran

[B]ohey[/B]
    Years
  • I totally agree with you, but my main goal in the game is catching new Pokemon. I live in an area that is rural and does not have very many Pokestops. I can't be driving distance all the time getting Pokeballs because I am using a ton of them to catch Pokemon I have.
    If you focus is just to catch them, then yeah, I understand wanting to conserve Poké Balls.

It's difficult when you're in a more rural area. Then again, if you really wanna find more new Pokémon, you're going to have to venture out a bit anyway.

Years
  • If you focus is just to catch them, then yeah, I understand wanting to conserve Poké Balls.

It's difficult when you're in a more rural area. Then again, if you really wanna find more new Pokémon, you're going to have to venture out a bit anyway.
    I am hoping once I go off to college in a few weeks there will be more opportunity even though it is not a huge city, but it is much larger than where I live.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2016
    You're hurting yourself in-game, since you miss out on a ton of levelling XP from popping a lucky egg and evolving all those low Pokemon at once.

It's only worth levelling up if you plan on challenging gyms, if someone isn't planning on challenging a gym it would be better to stay at a lower level as catch rates would be higher for them

VisualJae

[size=1][FONT=Michroma][color=#a42525][b]Spam Hype
    Years
  • This might explain a thing or two...

It would certainly explain why none of my recent "Excellent" throws have succeeded...

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    This might explain a thing or two...

It would certainly explain why none of my recent "Excellent" throws have succeeded...
    Oh that's wonderful to hear, that did feel like a very unwarranted change! Do we think this'll revert the lowered capture rates too or are we not so lucky?

VisualJae

Years
  • Oh that's wonderful to hear, that did feel like a very unwarranted change! Do we think this'll revert the lowered capture rates too or are we not so lucky?
    I want a refund on my Ultra Balls.

I went from 62 Ultra Balls yesterday down to 21 at the end of the day. Those Charmanders refused to stay in.

I'm back up to 47 right now, but a bunch of those came from leveling up.

I'm sure they'll make the catch rates a little more reasonable. I mean, a CP10 Weedle shouldn't be breaking out of five Poké Balls every encounter (relatively). I'm at the point where I wish some of the Pokémon I engage will run away in order to save me the trouble.

Butterbeamz

Butterbeamz
    Years
  • I am so glad Niantic has finally confirmed my suspicions and are working to fix it. I was a bit too critical thinking that that was on purpose and the were doing a blatant cad grab

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    I wonder if this fix will also calm down some of these pokemon, with the frequent attacking it just feels like every pokemon is angry at me.

VisualJae

Years
  • I wonder if this fix will also calm down some of these pokemon, with the frequent attacking it just feels like every pokemon is angry at me.
    That reminds me of this CP170 Eevee I encountered while I was Charmander hunting yesterday.

I held a Great Ball and the Eevee headbutted the air seven times in a row before stopping for a moment.

Seven times.

It attacked the air seven straight times without stopping.

CP170.

I caught it and put it in a candy blender.

Years
    • Seen Aug 8, 2016
    It's only worth levelling up if you plan on challenging gyms, if someone isn't planning on challenging a gym it would be better to stay at a lower level as catch rates would be higher for them

This is false. You are more likely to encounter more varied pokemon at higher trainer levels, so staying at a low level would just net you more of the same Pokemon that you already have.

Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2016
    This is false. You are more likely to encounter more varied pokemon at higher trainer levels, so staying at a low level would just net you more of the same Pokemon that you already have.

Is this true? I am like 95% sure that the same Pokemon appear to everyone in the same place. The CP is different - the higher the level the higher the CP of the wild Pokemon you meet, but the type of Pokemon is the same for everyone. If a charizard appears in a certain location it will be available for everyone from the level 5 newbie to the level 28 veteran, but the newbie's charizard will likely have lower CP.

Years
  • Is this true? I am like 95% sure that the same Pokemon appear to everyone in the same place. The CP is different - the higher the level the higher the CP of the wild Pokemon you meet, but the type of Pokemon is the same for everyone. If a charizard appears in a certain location it will be available for everyone from the level 5 newbie to the level 28 veteran, but the newbie's charizard will likely have lower CP.

I don't really thinks so, I noticed every time i level new type of pokemons are being spawned and the ones i didn't caught, and if i stay long on same level i don't get new pokemons i get mostly the ones i caught, only exeption is lure on pokestops which provides all sort of new ones, last time i used lure on pokestop people around me spawned same pokemons as i did.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2016
    Both points are true, if a charizard spawns then everyone around will see it but lots of things influence what will spawn including how many people are in area and what level they are. The point I was trying to make in an earlier post is that it's better to stay at a lower level for the better catch rate as better. The more people around has a bigger influence of how varied spawning Pokemon are so there may be some benefit in levelling up but it doesn't seem to make a massive difference past the first few levels

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen today
    To be honest I'd rather run into 10cp Oddish than 400cp Oddish because they are going straight to the professor and no need to waste more then one ball on them.

Maybe if you're higher level you'll have a better chance at finding fully evolved Pokemon, but they will probably flee anyways so what's the point.

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2017
    The last few days has taken the enjoyment from me. 4-5 Great Pokeballs to try catch a low level Pidgey or Rattata only for it to eventually run off is a joke. I live in an area with very few Pokestops as is a new housing estate and I run out because of the shocking catch rate and all I see is these rubbish Pokemon. Only thing I've been doing lately is enjoying the good weather n Hatching Eggs but even they've become a joke,can't remember the last time I got anything good from them. For me there not selling the game very well and once the good Weather goes then so will the ppl playing it. I will carry on for now in the hope things change but I won't hold my Breath 😡😡

Years
    • Seen Aug 27, 2016
    The last few days has taken the enjoyment from me. 4-5 Great Pokeballs to try catch a low level Pidgey or Rattata only for it to eventually run off is a joke.

I'm starting to see 375/400+ cp pidgey's now (level 25) and I don't always bother with them. One thing that I'm convinced helps (though so far I don't think anyone has posted definitive proof) is throwing a curveball every though. I'm convinced spinning and then hooking the ball makes a difference though I've had more than my share of rats/birds run after escaping a few balls. Still I do it everytime for the extra 10 cp.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2016
    I'm starting to see 375/400+ cp pidgey's now (level 25) and I don't always bother with them. One thing that I'm convinced helps (though so far I don't think anyone has posted definitive proof) is throwing a curveball every though. I'm convinced spinning and then hooking the ball makes a difference though I've had more than my share of rats/birds run after escaping a few balls. Still I do it everytime for the extra 10 cp.

somewhere there is proof that curveballs increase chance of capture, the trade off is that you will miss the target more with curveball (unless you get really REALLY good at throwing curveballs)

Back