• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020
    Please don't only post links to the map. Follow the map posting form, post your map name, code base and comments. You're also breaking the 4 word posting rule.

Years
    • Seen Mar 8, 2016
    Hey all, I made another map called Shorley Town.

Like I stated earlier, I'm new to mapping and this is only my third map, so please feel free to critique me and give me advice.

Here it is:

Quoting myself since nobody rated it... I think..

Thrace

@tion
    Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2016
    Map Name: Route101
    Base: Pokemon Ruby
    Comments: A ma after a long time. It has no grass because the player doesn't have any pokemon at this stage.
    Spoiler:
    Rating: 7/10
    Reasons: The palette and tiles look great. Mapping is so-so. The paths don't look great but at least they are of uniform length. The mountain parts look decent but theres a lot of room for improvement.
    Suggestions: Redo the map. Theres just too much stuff going on in the map right now. Some places look really empty. Its just too difficult to work with as it is now. You're better off clearing the map and starting again.

Rating: 2/10
    Reasons: Lots and lots of tile errors. Buildings are using incorrect tiles. Looks really empty. The sea looks really nice though even if you've made some tile errors there as well.
    Suggestions: Read some mapping tutorials. Fix the tile errors. Don't mix tiles like that. Use more trees. Don't make it look symmetrical.

Quoting myself since nobody rated it... I think..
    Spoiler:
    Rating: 4/10
    Reasons: You've got the right idea about how to make maps look natural but you've gone way overboard with it. You're tree placement isn't very good. The shape of the beach looks terrible. You've also used shadows incorrectly in some places.
    Suggestions: Smooth out the edges of the beach so the build up gradually instead of just jerking up in random places. Arrange the trees tighter around the town.

-----------------------------

Spoiler:

Map Name: Route 7
    Map Of: FireRed
    Description: I've restarted Genesis so I've remade all the maps and since I had some spare time and was bored I thought I'd post this map which has been bugging me for a while.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • Map Name:Genimie Town
    Description: The final town in the beta of Pokemon Moonshine, it's situated on the side of a mountain, and was majorly dug onto the side. The bottom feels a bit iffy, but most of it isn't seen.
    genimietownmn4.png

Thrace, only half your map appears to me. :\

Hiche..

Years
    • Seen Dec 27, 2014
    Map Name:Genimie Town
    Description: The final town in the beta of Pokemon Moonshine, it's situated on the side of a mountain, and was majorly dug onto the side. The bottom feels a bit iffy, but most of it isn't seen.
    genimietownmn4.png

Thrace, only half your map appears to me. :\

Very nice Ninja ;) I like, the shape of the city, the placement of houses, and trees, and the shape of the mountain. I don't know if it's me, but there isn't shading for the trees.

Rating: 8.8/10

TB Pro

Old-timer
    Years
  • Map Name: Route101
    Comments: A map after a long time. It has no grass because the player doesn't have any pokemon at this stage.
    Spoiler:
    Rating: 5/10
    Why the heck? First of all, the tree shading is done wrong, which is kind of a turn-off. Although, I do like how the trees are placed, for the most part anyway, except for the ones that are placed in a long straight line. The mountain shape is pretty nice, however there is an issue with the top ledge for the grassy mountains. The path shape is nice, for the most part, but it is a little too straight for my taste in a few areas. The flowers also have a sort of an issue with placement; they are bunched up a bit to the lower of the map, and should be more evenly distributed. The map is also kind of generally empty, but it's good for being away for a while.

P.S. I rate harshly, don't take it to heart.

Spoiler:

Map Name: Route 7
    Description: I've restarted Genesis so I've remade all the maps and since I had some spare time and was bored I thought I'd post this map which has been bugging me for a while.
    Why the heck? Okay, the first thing I notice is the mountains, which are, in general, fairly good, but they seem to follow the same path a tad too much. The paths are good, they have a nice windy feel to them, and they're not too straight, which is a plus. I noticed you used a lot of alternating grasses, which is a big plus in my book. The tree placement is great, gives the map almost a maze feel to it, however, ahem, you didn't do the tree shadows correctly, which surprised me. The wild grass is ugly, way too blocky. In nature, grass dosen't grow in blocks, it runs free and is scattered around, It has a dense concentration of it in areas, but it's definantly not blocky. There is also a tad of empty space, but I'm trying to remove myself from loweing ratings on account of a little empty space, as it really dosen't look bad in-game as long as tere are enough people to fill it up.

Makorin

Ex-ROM Hacker
    Years
  • Quoting myself since i dont think any1 rated my maps...

OK since i havnt post a map in a while i mite as well!

Map Name: Tohja Desert
    Map Game: Fire Red
    Comments: This map is a special area in my Hack Pokemon Golden Rainbow
    Mapshot:

Map Name: Tohja Desert
    Map Game: Fire Red
    Comments: This map is a special area in my Hack Pokemon Golden Rainbow
    Mapshot:

~Teh Panda~

Back in hacktion
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2022
    Map Name: Claremont Heights
    Base: Pokemon Fire Red
    Comments: The 2nd town in my hack. A mountain village sort.
    picture15pi9.png

Credits: Kyledove, wesley FG

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
    Years
  • Map Name: Claremont Heights
    Base: Pokemon Fire Red
    Comments: The 2nd town in my hack. A mountain village sort.
    picture15pi9.png

Credits: Kyledove, wesley FG
    The path is a little bit too straihgt and to fat. There is also a tile error in the upper right corner. You can't see it in-game. But the rest of map looks okay.

7/10

amtrax

Pheonix will rule the world...
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2010
    this is my edited pallet town for my hack, dawning silver
    i added the extra house for green, red and blue, and the the zeppelin airport as my hack goes to the orange isles after kanto

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    Reasons: The palette and tiles look great. Mapping is so-so. The paths don't look great but at least they are of uniform length. The mountain parts look decent but theres a lot of room for improvement.
    Suggestions: Redo the map. Theres just too much stuff going on in the map right now. Some places look really empty. Its just too difficult to work with as it is now. You're better off clearing the map and starting again.
    Thanks for the suggestions. It took me alot of time to do the map, but I'll redo it and try to improve it. Thanks.

Rating: 5/10
    Why the heck? First of all, the tree shading is done wrong, which is kind of a turn-off. Although, I do like how the trees are placed, for the most part anyway, except for the ones that are placed in a long straight line. The mountain shape is pretty nice, however there is an issue with the top ledge for the grassy mountains. The path shape is nice, for the most part, but it is a little too straight for my taste in a few areas. The flowers also have a sort of an issue with placement; they are bunched up a bit to the lower of the map, and should be more evenly distributed. The map is also kind of generally empty, but it's good for being away for a while.

P.S. I rate harshly, don't take it to heart.
    Thanks I'll try to improve. But if you're talking about the palm trees with wrong shading then it was made by Peyi, who I think is an excellent spriter. Thanks for the suggestions though. I'll make room for improvement.

I''d like to post another map.
    Map Name: Dawn Town
    Comments: The second town in my hack.
    map2sx7.png

Alucia

Random tile/map artist
    Years
    • She/Her They/Them
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    townonepreview.gif

this is the first town in a pokemon flash game I am going to start once I get a proper team up and running

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
    Years
  • kayto.png

Just testing the new way of drawing region maps. If anyone wishes to have it, give me credits.
    The city in the upper left corner doesn't have an island for a reason. It's of water (like Venezia).
    The palletes are stricted to 16 colors, GBA standards.

treecko 22

Lucario 9's brother
    Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2008
    map name:route 1
    game hacked:fire red
    comments:this is for my first hack ever, so please rate.

map:

hope you like it !

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back