• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Mass-Shooting in Orlando Gay Club

Years
  • Another really stinging thing is that gay men still can't donate blood in the US.

//edit: unless you're merely pointing out that the US press only uses that word with non-White murderers.

That's what I meant. Sorry if it wasn't clear.

That's one hell of an explanation. You made sweeping assumptions about an entire country's culture based off of nothing but personal experience, attributed natural human processes to a single country, and tried to create a link between poverty and religious/political terrorism. I can understand why you'd try to politicize a tragedy so quickly, but it's silly that you'd try to place the blame on your own narrow idea of a unified American culture instead of religious extremism.

These tragedies are politicized before they even happen because the country doesn't do enough to stop gun violence.

And it's not just my own personal experiences but those of all the people I've ever talked to, people who've lived in the US and in other countries, people who have visited the US, and so on.

I'm not trying to say that poor people are violent, but that the constant unconscious fears of people that they might become poor is one of the anxieties that people in this country suffer from. The other point I was making was that when you don't have options to improve your lot then you have less incentive to choose non-violent options.

Years
  • The perpetrator was Muslim and had pledged allegiance to ISIS. ISIS has since taken responsibility for the attack. Seems like the attack was politically motivated and would qualify as an act of terrorism.

The perpetrator was an American citizen by birth, but it has been reported that his father had expressed support for the Taliban. These are people who have not integrated into American society despite living there for over three decades.

Prepare for calls for the Muslim ban to come back with greater force.

Years
    • Seen Jun 20, 2016
    Well I just post a bunch of sentimental stuff but seriously

Sin only makes Sin
    Violence begots violence
    Two wrongs do not make a right.

I blame Trevon Martin murderer for this and not the guns at all.
    I blame idiots who do not realize that non-heterosexual belong in the clubs and not in the school yard.
    I blame morons who do not realize that there are Jewish schools were they teach the evils of non-heterosexuals
    I blame morons who use racism, and does not promote people in general.

Seriously this is tons of bull, and nobody can stop this with violence, laws, or anymore bs. Watch how screwed up
    the reaction to this will be. Even so I do not blame the gun, but the people who promotes violence in general.
    People have a right to be angry but people are the most valuable thing on the planet.

I already see the results of this in general.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • Ah jeez, not another shooting. First Grimmie, and now a gay bar? I think it's times like these that we have to accept that massive shootings are going to be part of our average day lives in the United States, even if it's by terrorists like ISIS. Also, my friend shared his two cents on this situation:

"The US, all of Europe, even China and Russia could band to together and wipe out ISIS, but only Russia and a few others are fighting it. The US and Europe are too liberialized to do anything. They see it has we must fear and bow to these terrorist and seeing how the US, the greatest nation on our planet has become so fucking lax with a Government who claim that Gun Control will fix everything."

Yeah, right. Sure, lets picture a scenario.

Government removes our Second Ammentment and takes away guns. Only the military and cops have guns now, wait? A shooting in the city? How can this be? OH, OF COURSE. How did they get guns if there none around? Imported OR smuggled.

It doesn't matter if you take away the honest and inoccent person's gun(s), you are just taking away their right to defend themselves from fithy, scankball, evil hearted people who can still get a pistol OR fire arm and when they rob you, they'll just kill you.

You know, there are cities out west in the midwest that have very little problems. 3-5%, and why is that? Because EVERYONE has a gun and crooks and creeps know that if they break in, they are going to die on the spot.

This whole PUSH for gun control is a pointless effort, why not focus it on the REAL PROBLEMs in the country and world? Like how many ISIS radicals are within our country OR maybe convincing the other world powers to FUCKING WIPE ISIS FROM THE PLANET ALONG WITH EVERY OTHER TERROR CELL.

But no... we can't...that is not the right thing to do, its too sensive. Of...ohph... fuck you. FUCK YOOOOOOOOOOOOU.

Any counterarguments against his claim is welcomed.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • .... I can't believe how much gun violence there is in the USA.
    I am so sad about this :( 50 death, 50 wounded... 100 innocent people got shot. Jeez, how many time did he shoot?

Adore

Party.
    Years
  • The perpetrator's family released a statement saying that he was not a practicing Muslim and apologized for his actions. They are not defending what he did or protecting him; they're putting the families of the victims before their son. He was motivated to do this because he saw a gay couple kissing in public and it made him angry.

All it took was a homophobe with a gun, and now over 100 people have been shot. The lucky ones who weren't are going to be traumatized for life.

**** that, and anyone who agrees with this homophobic garbage on any level.

Last edited:
    Years
  • President Obama on the Tragic Shooting in Orlando

"This massacre is therefore a further reminder of how easy it is for someone to get their hands on a weapon that lets them shoot people in a school, or in a house of worship, or a movie theater, or in a nightclub. And we have to decide if that's the kind of country we want to be. And to actively do nothing is a decision as well."

I'll repeat it here. "It's just like how not voting is a political act."

Any counterarguments against his claim is welcomed.

Counterargument:
    Spoiler:

Guest123_x1

First off, I want to say that I'm beyond disgusted that the world has gone this far. I'm also disgusted by the fact that we are basically sitting back and letting ISIS and other terrorist groups take over our country and the rest of the world. I am also so sick of the political correctness that has taken over society in that we have to bow down to people who want to kill us because their religion is a "key demographic."

The perpetrator's family released a statement saying that he was not a practicing Muslim and apologized for his actions. They are not defending what he did or protecting him; they're putting the families of the victims before their son. He was motivated to do this because he saw a gay couple kissing in public and it made him angry.
    Then why did the perpetrator claim that he attacked on the Islamic State's behalf in the 911 call that he made?

Of course, the moment I heard the news, I knew everybody would be saying it's because of the Second Amendment (as if taking away law-abiding citizen's guns is going to make us any safer from Islamic terrorists). I can only imagine how people would react if this happened under a Republican Presidency, such as George W. Bush, Ronald Reagan, or Dwight Eisenhower, or a hypothetical administration of John McCain, Mitt Romney, or Ron Paul.

*People will probably tear me apart and demonize me for not being politically correct in this post.*

Last edited:
    Years
  • I've been keeping with this on tumblr, it's awful, we (LGBT people) aren't safe, and this just proves it.

GreyBidoof

You used a Master Ball on the GreyBidoof!
    Years
  • As a resident of Orlando, I'm appalled to learn not only that this happened, but that it happened right in my backyard. My deepest condolences go out to anyone who has lost a loved one or friend, and I hope to God that I didn't.

Her

Years
    • Seen today
    Then why did the perpetrator claim that he attacked on the Islamic State's behalf in the 911 call that he made?

The current narrative is turning towards the likelihood of him seeing his own long-existing views on homophobia reflected in the uprising of ISIS and did his attack based on his own ideology, tying in ISIS because they share the same views as he does - not because he was directly acting on their behalf. To further exacerbate things, ISIS have done what they do best: capitalising on suffering, regardless of whether they had any direct hand in the situation. It makes things revolve around them and gives their agenda strength. That is why they are claiming responsibility for this. But this is primarily about homophobia. The more people that view this as an extension of the ISIS agenda, the more they detach it from its true roots as an attack meant to cause fear within the LGBT community.

This is terrorism, no doubt. However, make no mistake - this has much less to do with ISIS/radical Islam than it has to do with straight up hatred of LGBT people.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I've been keeping with this on tumblr, it's awful, we (LGBT people) aren't safe, and this just proves it.

It's true, the LGBTI community is more vulnerable than non-LGBTI people, since they are more likely to suicide and have been more easy to target. As a post on Tumblr I read stated, it's a hate crime and I don't tolerate hate crime, especially with this now being the worst shooting massacre in US history.

Cassandra

Transgender Queen
    Years
  • Mass-Shooting in Orlando Gay Club

As a lesbian transwoman, I can tell you that the LGBT community is very close-knit, almost like a family. We share many struggles under the hand of hate, oppression, and violence. When word of this tragedy hit, we all felt the pain. Our brothers and sisters were killed at the hands of one single man. The hate and violence continues to spread. Many of us are scared and afraid, and we don't know where is safe anymore. If a gay club isn't safe, where is?

We need to rally together and help to stop the fear and hatred caused my misconception and myth. Too much of our innocent blood is being shed, for only existing. We just want to be happy, and to live our lives. Tragedies like the massacre in Orlando, things like this should never be conceived.

This tragic event has hit the LGBT community hard, and more acts of domestic terrorism are sure to follow. For any persons of the LGBT community, please stay safe.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Mass-Shooting in Orlando Gay Club

As a lesbian transwoman, I can tell you that the LGBT community is very close-knit, almost like a family. We share many struggles under the hand of hate, oppression, and violence. When word of this tragedy hit, we all felt the pain. Our brothers and sisters were killed at the hands of one single man. The hate and violence continues to spread. Many of us are scared and afraid, and we don't know where is safe anymore. If a gay club isn't safe, where is?

We need to rally together and help to stop the fear and hatred caused my misconception and myth. Too much of our innocent blood is being shed, for only existing. We just want to be happy, and to live our lives. Tragedies like the massacre in Orlando, things like this should never be conceived.

This tragic event has hit the LGBT community hard, and more acts of domestic terrorism are sure to follow. For any persons of the LGBT community, please stay safe.
    All I can say is that you (and all of us Americans, no everyone in the world) should try to be strong. Living in constant fear would mean giving the terrorists what they want. We got to come together as a society to tackle whatever it was that drove this man to do this, be it radical islam, or plain homophobia.

I've seen some pretty brave reactions by gays, bis, and lesbians, and their allies on the news of those who chose to go to the pride rally in California despite the rumors of someone with guns and bombs in his car who planned to attack the parade there today. I really liked their reactions and comments.

Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2018
    First off, I want to say that I'm beyond disgusted that the world has gone this far. I'm also disgusted by the fact that we are basically sitting back and letting ISIS and other terrorist groups take over our country and the rest of the world. I am also so sick of the political correctness that has taken over society in that we have to bow down to people who want to kill us because their religion is a "key demographic."

The killer appears to have had no actual links to ISIS and merely claimed allegiance to them and attributed the act to them, it is not actually an ISIS directed attack from all information currently available.

No one is sitting back and "letting it happen". The fact you're using "political correctness" as hat's allowing this to happen just makes me assume you're pretending this is a problem with his religion, rather than the actions of an extremist attributed to a terrorist organisation and that you can't be racist or bigoted about it as some sort of horrible societal failing. It is not.

Of course, the moment I heard the news, I knew everybody would be saying it's because of the Second Amendment (as if taking away law-abiding citizen's guns is going to make us any safer from Islamic terrorists).

It actually will, though? You cannot pretend mass shootings are unavoidable when countries like Australia with gun laws present there continue to exist without these horrific tragedies and are significantly safer for it. You cannot ignore the role gun laws in the US have in fostering these sort of events on top of other factors, and how they very much can be mitigated with changes to the law

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • No, seriously. The difference is that, in Europe or Australia or Canada, or, well, normal first-world countries, if a criminal wants to shoot someone, they have to plan it carefully, go to the black market, try to buy a gun (which is harder because there is no legal supply of weapons the black market can rely on) and then go kill people. That requires planning, intent, a good amount of money and the risk of being caught at any point.

In the US, a local deranged guy only needs to go buy some guns at the nearest Walmart, and keep them at home (or carry them around) until something makes "click" and he thinks "hey, what if I just murder this guy in front of me?".

As a result, normal countries suffer one well-planned act of terrorism every several months/years. The US gets mass-shootings every fucking day. Actually, the average is slightly over 1/day. Why? Because any random nobody who would never get close to a gun anywhere else when their brain goes "murder" is allowed to buy and carry them around at all times in the US. And go guess, giving killing machines to your entire population does increase the likelyhood of your population using them to murder people.

Anyway, as a journalist who spent all of yesterday updating news about the shooting, I'm profoundly sick. I hope anything postive can come out of this, my absolute condolences to the victims and their families. The US is sick with violence and someone needs to change something there as far as possible.

Spoiler:

Back