• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Mass-Shooting in Orlando Gay Club

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
  • FYI: Trying to find out the truth is one of the best ways to show respect for the deceased and their families.

There is some point at which you just get bored of a conspiranoid worldview in which every single mass shooting that ever happened (and the Boston marathon bombing too) was actually perpertrated by the Government to have an excuse to "take ur gunz".

Of course, if that was the case, I wish the Government had in fact taken all guns away years ago so they wouldn't need to "fake mass-shootings" every week any longer.

Anyway: reality is unrealistic. There is nobody recording 100% of everything that happens. Testimonies are shaky because people under massive stress overlook and forget things that are happening at that point. Workers in the club sent alert tweets much later because they were just as afraid- if it was all "scripted", they wouldn't make "mistakes" so glaring. Officials take hours to confirm the death tallies- this time and every single time in the past. I'd be far more worried if there was perfect second-by-second evidence of everything coming out just 30 seconds after it ended.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 20, 2016
    Anyways aside for the old saying of "Things just keeping getting better".............the man was found to actually be a former Police-officer in training and was rejected. He believe he was rejected due to his appearance/race/name/etc and because of that he probably did this as an act of revenge.

Probably was targeting somebody and was looking for them at the club?

Years
  • I watched a video clip of Anderson Cooper interviewing the attorney general of Florida about her past efforts in court against gay rights. This clip is [here.]

But more important that this specific incident is what it brings up: how all the anti-gay rhetoric in this country helped lay the foundation for this attack. Normally I'd say don't look at the comments on a video, but in this case they seem to almost perfectly echo the kind of blindness people have about their own culpability in causing tragedy like this. It's like a case study. What's a term for colorblindness when it comes to sexuality? Some people just want to think of these victims as faceless, characterless Americans and not as specific targets of hatred because they don't want to believe that their own hatred and biases make them in some way responsible or otherwise give them something in common with the shooter.

Sir Codin

I watched a video clip of Anderson Cooper interviewing the attorney general of Florida about her past efforts in court against gay rights. This clip is [here.]

But more important that this specific incident is what it brings up: how all the anti-gay rhetoric in this country helped lay the foundation for this attack. Normally I'd say don't look at the comments on a video, but in this case they seem to almost perfectly echo the kind of blindness people have about their own culpability in causing tragedy like this. It's like a case study. What's a term for colorblindness when it comes to sexuality? Some people just want to think of these victims as faceless, characterless Americans and not as specific targets of hatred because they don't want to believe that their own hatred and biases make them in some way responsible or otherwise give them something in common with the shooter.
    If you're looking for a case study, the tough guy troll s**tposting on Youtube videos is not the best place to get accurate results.

Years
  • More and more reports coming out claiming that Mateen was gay. I buy it. The attack looks more tangentially related to Islamic terrorism now. I think it has more to do with him not being able to reconcile his sexuality with his religion (all the while becoming radicalised) than a solely terrorist act.

Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2018
    Anyways aside for the old saying of "Things just keeping getting better".............the man was found to actually be a former Police-officer in training and was rejected. He believe he was rejected due to his appearance/race/name/etc and because of that he probably did this as an act of revenge.

Probably was targeting somebody and was looking for them at the club?

That... flies in the face of all the evidence available? I have no idea why you would come to that conclusion vs the leading theory

Sir Codin

More and more reports coming out claiming that Mateen was gay. I buy it. The attack looks more tangentially related to Islamic terrorism now. I think it has more to do with him not being able to reconcile his sexuality with his religion (all the while becoming radicalised) than a solely terrorist act.
    Which means ISIS just screwed themselves by claiming responsibility immediately. When news of his sexuality (if true) comes out, things are gonna get extremely awkward for them.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
    Years
  • More and more reports coming out claiming that Mateen was gay. I buy it. The attack looks more tangentially related to Islamic terrorism now. I think it has more to do with him not being able to reconcile his sexuality with his religion (all the while becoming radicalised) than a solely terrorist act.

Any evidence that he actually was? There is a chance he downloaded those apps and went to that club just to stalk potential victims. Every source I've seen posted just stated the he had apps downloaded and has been at that club previously.

Years
  • Any evidence that he actually was? There is a chance he downloaded those apps and went to that club just to stalk potential victims. Every source I've seen posted just stated the he had apps downloaded and has been at that club previously.

Sources I've found so far are the Daily Mail, the Telegraph and the Guardian, and all of them quote (I guess the same) people, including an ex-wife, who flat out said he was gay and visited the bar as a patron, also another person claims receiving dick pics from him. Seems legit to me :x Based on everything we've heard so far, he seems more the impulsive than the calculated type.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...lked-wife-kid-massacring-49-people-there.html

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...lked-wife-kid-massacring-49-people-there.html

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...ateen-gay-men-terrorism-pulse-jackd-sexuality

Adore

Party.
    Years
  • One of the original sources was the Palm Beach Post, my hometown's local newspaper. The other was the Orlando Sentinel. Both of these newspapers are noted for being biased, and the latter is historically conservative. That shouldn't necessarily discount the claims immediately. But as someone who grew up near the Orlando area, I feel obligated mention it. So take these reports with a grain of salt.

But if it is true, that makes this even more depressing.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 20, 2016
    What this guy did. Was

A. Pretended to be non-heterosexual
    B. Found a place of gathern.
    C. Did what he did.

Point being it was about his job as a police officer and being discriminated.

Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2018
    What this guy did. Was

A. Pretended to be non-heterosexual
    B. Found a place of gathern.
    C. Did what he did.

Point being it was about his job as a police officer and being discriminated.

A- We don't know it was pretending.
    B- He intentionally went to a place of gathering for a specific minority group during pride month, i.e a month/celebration celebrating that specific minority, not long after apparently having a disgusted reaction to a public display of affection between two guys. I think it's almost impossible to deny that his intention was to kill LGBT people.

Years
  • Reportedly, Mateen hoped that the FBI or such, "raided his house and killed his wife and child, that would free him to martyr himself in an operation." This would seem to indicate a general lack of concern for such things. As a statement, it would seem to come out of the blue a bit in the specifics, so it's likely that there's some veracity to it. In general, then, they seemingly had little invested in these things during the attack, which probably meant that they were unconcerned about possible disapproval from there.

Allegedly, they also stated in a documentary on the BP oil spills, "No one gives a [expletive] here. Like, everybody's just out to get paid." This would seem to indicate some divergence from Western culture and those around him generally.

In addition, during the shootings he also took the time to search up the location and news of his shootings online, which would seem to mark this killing as notably modern. Other things he might have done during this time are listened to Usher's 'Can't Stop Won't Stop' or ranted about the number of cutscenes in JRPGs

TheLegendaryGuy

The greatest Ash Ketchum fan!
    Years
  • According to that moron's father, it wasn't related to terrorism or any sort of relegion in any way. He just hated to see men or women kissing or doing such jobs with people of the same gender. So, when he saw people doing that in the gay nightclub, he just couldn't tolerate it and resorted to firing. Why don't people understand that being a gay is no fault of theirs.. Even they have people who love and care about them, and just think about the agony of those people when they hear that the one whom they loved is no more.. (I'm just 16, and forgive me if I said something incorrect as I haven't got much of experience in debating about such topics).

Years
  • According to that moron's father, it wasn't related to terrorism or any sort of relegion in any way. He just hated to see men or women kissing or doing such jobs with people of the same gender. So, when he saw people doing that in the gay nightclub, he just couldn't tolerate it and resorted to firing. Why don't people understand that being a gay is no fault of theirs.. Even they have people who love and care about them, and just think about the agony of those people when they hear that the one whom they loved is no more.. (I'm just 16, and forgive me if I said something incorrect as I haven't got much of experience in debating about such topics).

Check out some of the other reports. Apparently he was in the nightclub multiple times before the violent attack.

Her

Years
    • Seen today
    I find it hard to believe that it was much more than him scoping out potential targets before his attack, this tends to be the MO for many a homophobic murder. I'm reluctant to shift my point of view on this until things calm down somewhat and this information isn't coming out 'in the heat of the moment' for the purpose of raking in view counts.

Years
    • Seen Jun 20, 2016
    Non-heterosexuals are only 6% of the nation. That is more then 2% of the Jewish population ( which more Jews in Israel ).

Back