• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Mass-Shooting in Orlando Gay Club

Pebbles

BE YOUR OWN HERO
Years
  • as depressing as it sounds... I think its the scary and unfortunate truth...
    We are nowhere safe anymore.

I start to understand somewhat now why people lock themselves up in a bunker and just live underground basically​

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • Oh my gosh. This is absolutely terrible.

Wasnt this guy background-checked by the FBI multiple times? I think this might fuel some pro-closed borders sentiments if background checks are proved ineffective because the murderer's parents were immigrants...

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
    Years
  • I'm very mad this happened..I think everyone deserves to be treated equally no matter what. (unless they did bad things) but i'm upset this had to happen. How many more deaths do we have to go through until we learn that people that like the same-sex are equal too?

Years
  • So there was an attempt at getting legislation passed in the US Senate earlier. Aimed at curbing gun violence. The Democrats got a vote to happen after a long filibuster forced the Republicans to go on the record. Nothing passed of course because this is America. The Democrats proposed banning people on no-fly lists from purchasing guns and the Republicans proposed letting people on the list buy guns but with a note being sent to law enforcement to let them know. Both sides wouldn't vote for the other's proposal. Neither is really more than a small measure anyway so neither would stop the rampant violence. Something bigger is needed.

Recently in the other side of Congress, the House of Representatives, a member (and civil rights leader from the 60) named John Lewis staged a sit-in to get a vote there as well, but it lasted a day before they decided to end it.

https://www.cnn.com/2016/06/22/politics/john-lewis-sit-in-gun-violence/

It looks like America might let this go on. Just another "senseless tragedy" in a long line of tragedies. Everyone praying and doing nothing that might actually help.

Years
  • So there was an attempt at getting legislation passed in the US Senate earlier. Aimed at curbing gun violence. The Democrats got a vote to happen after a long filibuster forced the Republicans to go on the record. Nothing passed of course because this is America. The Democrats proposed banning people on no-fly lists from purchasing guns and the Republicans proposed letting people on the list buy guns but with a note being sent to law enforcement to let them know. Both sides wouldn't vote for the other's proposal. Neither is really more than a small measure anyway so neither would stop the rampant violence. Something bigger is needed.

Recently in the other side of Congress, the House of Representatives, a member (and civil rights leader from the 60) named John Lewis staged a sit-in to get a vote there as well, but it lasted a day before they decided to end it.

https://www.cnn.com/2016/06/22/politics/john-lewis-sit-in-gun-violence/

It looks like America might let this go on. Just another "senseless tragedy" in a long line of tragedies. Everyone praying and doing nothing that might actually help.

Does any of this surprise you at this point?

Years
  • Does any of this surprise you at this point?
    I'm old enough to remember Columbine, the first "major" mass shooting in modern American consciousness, so, no, none of these shootings surprise me. There will be many, many more. In fact over 100 people have been killed by guns since this nightclub shooting.

There has been no break in gun violence since the Orlando massacre. Since the Pulse nightclub mass shooting early Sunday, at least 125 people have died in shootings and 269 were injured by guns, statistics show.

One of those killed was a 17-year old girl at a memorial service. Also some men killed their wives and daughters.

By the time you read this post there will have been more people killed.

Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2018
    I don't think any of us (well most of us) were blaming the victims. People were just theorising that he was externalising his own self-hatred which is a pretty common thing for people to do.

I think that whole idea is started/stemmed from looking for alternate explanations, though?

i.e "It's not the culture of homophobia in america's fault/It's not a gun problem! He was just gay and hated himself/He was gay so the attack wasn't targeted at lgbt people! He was just shooting up somewhere he knew!"

Years
  • I think that whole idea is started/stemmed from looking for alternate explanations, though?

i.e "It's not the culture of homophobia in america's fault/It's not a gun problem! He was just gay and hated himself/He was gay so the attack wasn't targeted at lgbt people! He was just shooting up somewhere he knew!"

Either way it couldn't have happened without easy access to firearms, no matter the reason for the attack it is definitely still a gun control issue.

Years
  • Either way it couldn't have happened without easy access to firearms, no matter the reason for the attack it is definitely still a gun control issue.

That's a very reasonable conclusion, but because this happened in America we will take any half-baked excuse and run with it in order to avoid uncomfortable truths like this.

Years
  • That's a very reasonable conclusion, but because this happened in America we will take any half-baked excuse and run with it in order to avoid uncomfortable truths like this.

Honestly I'm just trying to forget. It's absolutely ridiculous that people will do anything they can to further their own agendas instead of just dealing with these problems at their core.

«Chuckles»

Sharky
    Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2023
    This is a hate crime. To call it a gun control issue is ridiculous. It's avoiding the problem. The club was in a gun-free zone. Gun Free Zones were introduced as a bill from the democrats let that be said before we jump the gun and blame Republicans. Gun-Free Zones do not work, because a criminal with the capacity and intent to kill someone is not going to go "Oh gee gun free zone, let's turn around and go home". Now the reason this is not a gun control issue is because a man with the intent to murder 50 homosexuals and shoot and injure another 53 is not going to stop at complications in obtaining a weapon. I wrote a really good piece on the Orlando Shooting the day it happened. The way I see it is as an Islam problem. Not a Radical Islam problem. Now jump the gun call me racist and bigotted however let's take a gander at how the majority peaceful muslims feel about homosexuality. Saudi Arabia, Yemen and Iran all punish homosexuality with death. There is an islam problem. The gays have worked far too hard to get where they are. Regardless of our views on Marriage Equality, the gays are not going to change and so they shouldn't. Homosexuals have gotten to a point in society where they are respectable, where they are acknowledged and dignified. The problem with the Orlando shooting is that the media's favorite minorities, Muslims and the Homosexuals are involved, head to head. Instead the media has chosen the easy route and targeted gun control, because guns are going to stop a man with the capability to murder so many people. This is the most horrific mass shooting at the hands of an Agent of Islam, this is a hate crime.

"We can't go on like this. We can't live in an America where gays fear going to night clubs, where satirists fear execution for their speech, where cartoonists consider whether their next drawing might get them killed.
    Today's killings prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that we need to give particular scrutiny to certain faiths. Gays, apostates, and women are tired of being abused, harassed, and murdered by followers of the "religion of peace." - Milo Yiannopolous

incomes the hate, just adding my 10 cents into it all.

Years
  • This is a hate crime. To call it a gun control issue is ridiculous.

Something can be both a hate crime and a gun control issue and this is both.

The club was in a gun-free zone. Gun Free Zones were introduced as a bill from the democrats let that be said before we jump the gun and blame Republicans. Gun-Free Zones do not work, because a criminal with the capacity and intent to kill someone is not going to go "Oh gee gun free zone, let's turn around and go home".

Now the reason this is not a gun control issue is because a man with the intent to murder 50 homosexuals and shoot and injure another 53 is not going to stop at complications in obtaining a weapon.

A gun-free zone is designed to keep people from bringing guns to places where there is an increased chance of them causing harm. A place that serves alcohol seems like the right kind of place to be gun-free. Otherwise someone who brings a gun into that kind of place might not act so responsible if they've had too much to drink. Plus it is a crowded place and even if a gun were to go off it could cause a panic and people could get hurt. (That's the "yelling fire in a theatre" idea there.)

The other thing, and I'll keep repeating it until people understand, is that not all criminals have the same dedication, access, ability to commit crimes. If you make it harder to get a gun (when you shouldn't be allowed one), if you make it harder to bring a gun to a place where you shouldn't be allowed to use one, if you make social and legal detriments and punishments aimed at using a gun when you shouldn't then you will reduce the amount of gun violence.

All the efforts to curb gun violence are ones that aim to stop a person from even getting to that moment where they get in their car and drive to a place with a pile of guns. Once someone gets to that point you just have to hope that they'll get pulled over by the police (like what happened just after this shooting, where a man in California was stopped and police found a bunch of weapons with him). You cannot fight gun violence with more gun violence. If you try, especially in a crowded area, you'll be like this man in Texas who saw a carjacking and shot at the thieves but hit the victim instead.

I wrote a really good piece on the Orlando Shooting the day it happened. The way I see it is as an Islam problem. Not a Radical Islam problem. Now jump the gun call me racist and bigotted however let's take a gander at how the majority peaceful muslims feel about homosexuality. Saudi Arabia, Yemen and Iran all punish homosexuality with death. There is an islam problem.

There are also Christian, Hindu, and Buddhist majority countries which punish being gay, Maybe not with the death penalty, but that's really more a measure of how severe each country takes its punishments in general. You can be attacked on the streets in Uganda, for instance, for being gay. In these places you have to hide being LGBT or face severe punishment in one way or another. It's not a special thing that Muslims do. All the religions are capable of it.

Back