• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen May 16 Pokémon Sunday update: Battle Scene footage!

shookie

Often scatters things.
Years
  • Oh now that looks awesome :O I wasn't sure how they were going to do the whole battle scene thing, and I like what they came up with.

Eeohnex

Illuminate
    Years
  • Wow, I'm even more stoked about Black and White now. I'm loving the new battle scene, it's giving a little bit of more life to it. I'm liking what I see.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
    Years
  • Tackle better be an actual tackle ._.

I'm not too sure if it's actually very pixelated or it's the video quality, but I still do like the concept they managed to add in here. It actually gives a sense of realism in a completely surreal world, and I must say it's a nice change.

Nyu~♥!

Pokémon Opal Producer
    Years
  • i just saw that stuff now, and aksjfkfkjsd that's really nice.
    They put alot of effort into their games!
    When DP came out, I thought that the pokemon moved when they attacked. lol... but that's just pretty freaking nice.
    Dang, now I'll have to use my dA commission money to get that.. XD

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
  • Talk about an evolution, a moving and living battle scene, I love it. Can't wait to see a Draco Meteor in that.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Talk about an evolution, a moving and living battle scene, I love it. Can't wait to see a Draco Meteor in that.
    What Ryan said. Seeing this battle footage really shows that the game designers and the coders and all the team are really pushing the features of the game. It's like it's not even a Nintendo DS game! Until I saw this video, I would have never ever expected to see such strong features and design used for the handheld. They're really utilizing what the DS has to offer and pushing it to where other game creators never thought possible for a Nintendo handheld. Like I said in the speculation thread, not only are the pushing the envelop for Pokémon, they're pushing the envelope for the industry as a whole. It's really the next generation.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • Before I saw the video, and was just reading what the new features were, I was thinking this all sounds really cool and is a big step up since the Fourth Generation. Until I actually saw it though, I was left speechless and in awe as I had mentioned back in the Speculation thread. This is definitely a new Generation and a change for Pokémon. Walking through the city seems so realistic, people talking to you as you go, moving out of your way, and doing their own thing. It's isn't just all just a static visual, but more life-like. The Pokémon moving in battle though is what I enjoyed the best. It'll really make battles seem more interesting and fun since DPPt and HG/SS.

Agent Clank

Bye PC
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2011
    The Pokemon move all the time now!
    Thats awesome.
    cant wait to see more footage.

Years
  • Seems pretty cool to have the pokemon actually move in the battle. I think this will take some getting used to, since in all the others games this never happened. But this is pretty cool.

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
    Years
  • Very big step up from the last games. So far they improved everything. The pokemon being fully animated is very impressive, plus a moving camara to show attacks as well? I'm left speechless.

Waffle-San

Blue-Steel
    Years
  • I was blown away when I saw it. It makes me wonder how far they can push this thing. I mean I've seen Wii games that look significantly worse than this. I'm beyond impressed!! I think Pokemon is going to continue to be a leader in the hand held and is setting the bar pretty high this time!!

allBlue

legendary cake lover
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 15, 2013
    One more video with the starters in action, skipt to about 1:15 :)

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2023
    Woah, when did a forum for B/W pop up? Anyway, on topic...

That's a lot more impressive than I thought it would be! Not only the continually slight animations (which reminds me of my old Pokemon Stadium) but also the amazing sequence for attacks! I didn't think they could make this game much more unique from D/P or HG/SS since it's also on the DS, but I was proven wrong. I'm really impressed and can't wait to see what else they'll do to revamp the series.

Although looking at the video of the overworld, I can't say I'm impressed with the odd way the NPCs dart out of your way as you walk into them, but since this is in its early stages I'm sure it will be much better when released.

Years
    • Seen Jul 15, 2011
    I don't get some parts, Pokabu uses the fire move and the camera zooms out. When Tsutaaja uses the grass move the camera remains the same. I am guessing that this is an option...

Years
    • Seen Jun 27, 2010
    That's it, I'm pre-ordering this and buying the new DS with the larger screen to enjoy it even further, idc.

As a fellow pixel artist though, I'm not pleased with the color scheme of the Grass snake, it's too lime and bright.

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    I don't get some parts, Pokabu uses the fire move and the camera zooms out. When Tsutaaja uses the grass move the camera remains the same. I am guessing that this is an option...

It probably depends on the move being used or how big the Pokemon is. I somehow doubt it's an option you can turn on and off... but I guess you never can know for sure.

I'm loving the constant animation/moving of the sprites. The only thing I'm disappointed in is how pixelated the back sprites are. I'm not a big pixeler, but I'm guessing they could have done a better job with that. Nevertheless, it's all very exciting to see. It's give more life to the battles.

Back