• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen May 16 Pokémon Sunday update: Battle Scene footage!

MegaKuriboh

Yare Yare Daze
Years
  • I love it it's faster which is awesome and the pokemon move!
    Wi-fi battle are gonna be soooo epic!
    But, unfortunalty Aura Sphre has its old animation back and Entei has his D/P/Pt sprite oh well.

Hamilton

*Creative Quote Goes Here*
    Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2016
    While I geeked out like a little kid last night when I first saw these videos, I think it's really the only legitimate place they could have gone with it, and it looks fantastic. Still, I find the title of this thread misleading, because this honestly has nothing to do with the battle system, it's only the battle animations.

i would change it if i knew how to
    BUT I DIGRESS
    i geeked out too :D haha
    i just love where Game Freak is going with this

Ayselipera

I really like it. It's much more realistic and believable, plus I think it adds a tinge of cuteness to the Pokemon. I'm hoping that with these changes certain moves won't look like they're coming out of other Pokemon's heads and stomachs.

ChrisTom

With all regards,
    Years
  • I love the idle animations. It is a wonderful implementation that Pokemon has needed for quite some times. I am afraid that the camera movement will make it seem slightly unrealistic*. Nonetheless this is incredible and I can't wait to see it for myself!

*Yes, because when I'm using a giant serpentine creature which can spray ungodly quantities of water out of it's mouth, to attack a large winged fire-breathing lizard, the thing I'm worrying about is realism...

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019

I seriously doubt they'll change it after animating it with so many frames

I don't care for updating the graphics for moves, but it's seriously going to piss me off if they didn't bother making new sprites for all the Pokemon. That's one of the main things people look forward to when getting a new Pokemon game, if you ask me.

Zameric

The One and Only
    Years
  • Well I'm very excite about the new battle animations and battle style. I think having the camera move along with the attacks and pokemon is a great improvement. And I'm with Ayselipera, I hope they fix that little hiccup of move animation placement. :p

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 19, 2021
    Except I hope Tackle is actually a tackle now.
    Yeah, I just noticed that. We've only seen special-type attacks. I hope they show some physical-type attacks in there too. Hopefully they make it so it actually goes all the way to the opponents side for physical-type attacks instead of staying were you are and having it magically hit the opponent.

_Prince_

Pikachu?
    Years
  • It's a nice welcome i must say on animation battle scenes, is it pushing the DS up to its limit? Doubt it, as I've seen the DS being able to handle far heavy graphical games such as KH, FF to perfection. DS is more than capable of handling full 3D, I guess they saving this route for the 3DS or whatever.

Years
  • Yeah. 'Tis a nice addition. A small thing IMO but still nice.

LOL Ausadriel modz this place. XD

Well, I think they should have used the 3DS capabilities to fully enhance the battle experience, but alas...it is not so. :/

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • But, unfortunalty Aura Sphre has its old animation back and Entei has his D/P/Pt sprite oh well.
    It's possible they didn't bother changing the sprites from what we got since Platinum and HG/SS, and just kept newer ones for the Fifth Gen Pokémon. If anything goes to show like before though is that basically every new generation recreates new sprites for all Pokémon. It could just be that the battle footage shown currently is all based upon betas. We'll see as we come closer to the release of the game though (sometime this Fall).

Yeah, I just noticed that. We've only seen special-type attacks. I hope they show some physical-type attacks in there too. Hopefully they make it so it actually goes all the way to the opponents side for physical-type attacks instead of staying were you are and having it magically hit the opponent.
    Same.

Since they've taken such a leap to actually bring a more realistic touch to battles, it would be even greater if they took that next step and made physical moves be exactly what they are: physical.

~Wind~

Detective
    Years
  • Wow! B&W battles are gonna be FUN!

personally, i LOVE it, gives the feeling that they're actually in game living things, and not just holographic images that dont move.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I feel it's a lot better now that the sprites avtually move during battle, it adds a much higher sense of realism. When the pokemon attack it looks a lot more natural; rather than just taking turns the pokemon look like they're in constant action.

As for the new attack animations, I also like them quite a lot as they are much more realistic but at the same time they don't take away from the style of the game. At first i was iffy on the new battling technique but now, I'm quite pleased as I never really liked how the games were in battle. I found a lot of them just to be boring and just ended up speeding through battles without playing much attention. Now it looks a little more like Collesseum which is a step in the right direction.

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    The moving stuff is really cool, here's hoping for higher-res sprites in the final release.

I wish the hosts would stuff it, I wanna hear the music. xD

Back