• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Mega Evolutions in Alola

Which would you rather they add more of in Sun/Moon?

• Total voters
Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2016
    I honestly don't get the 'Z-Moves are broken' arguments. With Eevee we even have the confirmation that not all of them will be attacks. In my oppinion it will allow interesting, surprising new tactics and I'm all for that:).

I also think that Sun/Moon will definetly have Megas. Maybe only postgame and maybe no new ones,but GF would be stupid to kick them. No new merchandise and the outcry of people that found a new favourite design that happens to be a mega, would probably be pretty loud.

skyburial

Orca Hype
    Years
  • Removing mega evolutions from the game would be equivalent to removing the entire Kalos Pokedex from the games. And we haven't seen anything from Generation 6 in the trailers either, to my knowledge.

Megas are here to stay. New megas, though, might not surface in Alola.

Years
  • the mega evolution mechanic has to be exclusive to the z-moves. M rayquaza + dragon ascent + flying z-move = peril for those who must suffer through it

also mega gardevoir was mentioned in a leak in japanese

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    I'd honestly like for there to be DPP remakes in gen 7 which feature Mega Evolutions of the Sinnoh and Johto starters (since there are numerous connections between Sinnoh and Johto in gen 4) and a decent number of Megas for gen 5 Pokémon.

I really hope that, even if SM don't have new Megas, we don't have to wait all the way until gen 8 to see any new ones.

shadowmoon522

Master of Darkness & Light
    Years
    • Age 33
    • PA
    • Seen today
    the mega evolution mechanic has to be exclusive to the z-moves. M rayquaza + dragon ascent + flying z-move = peril for those who must suffer through it

also mega gardevoir was mentioned in a leak in japanese
    given that z moves are in he phantasmal 5th move slot where mega evolution was at in 6th gen, i'm doubting even ray will be able to mega evolve if it's holding a z stone & it's also possible that dragon ascent might be changed into a z move.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    I'm guessing the Z ring will hold either a mega stone, or a Z crystal, but not both to make it balanced.

Edit: Scrap that, the pokemon has to hold the mega stone or Z crystal, so megas can't use Z moves and Vice Versa. The bracelet just activates them AFAIK

Years
  • I'm guessing the Z ring will hold either a mega stone, or a Z crystal, but not both to make it balanced.

Edit: Scrap that, the pokemon has to hold the mega stone or Z crystal, so megas can't use Z moves and Vice Versa. The bracelet just activates them AFAIK

at the same time, that means that they can be activated separately o.O (Unless if your key stone is in the mega ring)

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Mega evolve + Z-Move would be too OP for certain Pokemon. That's most probably why they've made it so an item is required to activate both separately.

Years
  • Mega evolve + Z-Move would be too OP for certain Pokemon. That's most probably why they've made it so an item is required to activate both separately.

I am kinda happy that they're making both Mega Evolution and Z-Moves require you to take up your held item slot, and that you have to choose one or the other. Having both at the same time would ruin the metagame.

However, there is one Mega who doesn't need their item slot taken up to Mega Evolve and that is Mega Rayquaza, who only needs to know Dragon Ascent. So there's Z-Moves still open for that one.

MegaKuriboh

Yare Yare Daze
    Years
  • I really really hope there's new Megas so Unova Pokemon can get some love. The ONLY Unovan Pokemon to have a Mega so far is Audino, and it has probably the worst mega out of all of them, seriously it was such a waste. There's many Pokemon I'd love to see get them like Darmanitan, Conkeldurr, Haxorus, Carracosta, Druddigon, etc. Also obligatory Johto starters because they absolutely suck like give them a boost for heaven's sake.

kingdenas

#Team Popplio <3
    Years
  • As many people have already said in this thread, I don't think Mega Evolution is going to be removed from the Sun and Moon games... Maybe there won't be new ones, but I seriously doubt they'll get rid of such a loved feature (I know there are a lot of people that hate Mega Evolution, but there are also many people who love it!). The Z-ring could also have a slot for the key stone, so it would function as either a Z-ring or a Mega Bracelet. Of course there should be rules, such as only activating one of the features in battle, in other words, if you decide to Mega Evolve a Pokémon, you can't use the Z-move feature in that battle and vice-versa.

Years
  • We knew Megas were confirmed since that Jangmo-o article, but now the new trailer has pretty much confirmed that the Mega debate (and this thread) is now done and dusted.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • shadypenguinn blown the heck out from bold "no Megas" prediction, which is really going to hit a large dent on his reputation as a Poketuber.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    Mega evolution is confirmed in Pokemon S/M game.
    But, How does Z-ring Megevolve pokemon ? Doesn't it require a KeyStone ?

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • I'm angry and upset. I wanted Mega Evolution to not be included, but, perhaps it IS a postgame thing so I can ignore it entirely...sigh.

But they didn't reveal any new Mega Evolutions... so many they won't be making any new ones?

Years
  • Mega evolution is confirmed in Pokemon S/M game.
    But, How does Z-ring Megevolve pokemon ? Doesn't it require a KeyStone ?

The Z-Ring apparently has a circle-shaped indent that is around the size of a Key Stone, so it's safe to assume the Key Stone used for Mega Evolution will fit there.

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    shadypenguinn blown the heck out from bold "no Megas" prediction, which is really going to hit a large dent on his reputation as a Poketuber.

it won't hurt him at all. it's exactly what it is, a prediction.

Back