• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Metal & Color Generation Help Thread

Best secondary Pokemon Growlithe, Abra, or Machop?

• Growlithe

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Abra

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • Machop

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eight.Bit

May
Years
  • I can't beat Misty?!

I can't beat freaking Misty! I've tried three times and that damn Starmie is a douche. -_-
    My whole team is like, half her Starmie's level.
    I have a Wartortle, Rattata, WigglyTuff, and Spearow
    They only know normal and water type moves.
    All my pokemon in the PC only know normal type moves and I've caught every single pokemon so far in the wild (like 23)
    I've also fought every single trainer so far, so I don't know why my pokemon aren't strong yet. I hate battling wild pokemon, though. It's SOOOO boring. :/
    How do I beat Misty? If battling wild pokemon is the only way, I'll force myself to do it. I'm just wondering if you have any other tips. Like, is my team horrible? And what other pokemon should I use instead? THANKS! :D

Sirfetch’d

Butterfree is a good option. It can status it to help wither it down. You also could use a Pikachu from Viridian Forest if you feel like training haha. There are also wild Pokemon to the north depending on your version that are good options(Bellsprout or Oddish). She is tough but not impossible!

Zehn

[color=red][font=Foto Serif]Sacred[/font][/color][
    Years
  • Electric is your best bet, there is a thunder wave TM if you can get to route 24

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    Considering you have Wartortle you must be playing Pokemon red and blue, not yellow. So pikachu isn't an option. the other options aren't really available to you since you aren't playing on yellow and route 24 is after you beat misty.

i suggest using butterfree or beedril

Years
  • Oh yes, I remember that Starmie, it's a nightmare lol.

I'm not sure but I think I used Bellsprout against him and it was really effective.
    Yep, definitely catch a Bellsprout and whip vine that star! good luck!

MasterLemon

What's for tea?
    Years
  • Another good idea is to use more than just Normal and Water moves on your Pokemon. Although yeah, Bellsprout would be your best bet considering your current circumstance.

PokéMew1

Pokémon Fuchsia
    Years
  • Your best option as I see it would've been to have caught a pikachu while you were in Viridian Forest, and slowly train it until you reached the time to battle misty :)

MasterLemon

What's for tea?
    Years
  • There would be no way to backtrack to Viridian Forest by this point. Back in the day, I tried to raise a Pikachu for Misty but it was just too frail to stomach a Bubblebeam and Starmie has enough Special to stomach Thundershock. Bellsprout would be your best bet and try going to Diglett's Cave and raising it there till it evolves. It can learn handy moves like Sleep Powder, Stun Spore and Wrap.

TWU

Years
    • Seen Jan 8, 2018
    Route 24 is the area nugget bridge is on, right? You should be able to go there before you defeat Misty, in the patch of grass west of the nugget bridge. If you are playing Blue, you will find Bellsprout there, as I recall. According to bulbapedia, you will find an Oddish if you are playing Red. Either of these pokemon will help. Good luck; a lot of us had trouble with that Starmie too, so we feel your pain.

Also, if you by any chance are using an emulator, you could hold the spacebar down to speed up wild battles. You'll get through them in seconds in the Gen 1 and 2 games, makes grinding much faster.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2016
    Alternatively, I don't believe you *have* to beat Misty yet. You can head north to Bill, get the S.S. Anne ticket, train on the route to Vermilion + Boat + even route east of Vermilion. Get cut, go back to Misty, and finally beat her due to being very overleveled. Then of course, go back to destroy Lt. Surge with Diglett/Dugtrio.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2016
    Alternatively, I don't believe you *have* to beat Misty yet. You can head north to Bill, get the S.S. Anne ticket, train on the route to Vermilion + Boat + even route east of Vermilion. Get cut, go back to Misty, and finally beat her due to being very overleveled. Then of course, go back to destroy Lt. Surge with Diglett/Dugtrio.

PS if you're not opposed to utilizing glitches, you can catch an Abra and use Teleport instead of Fly to perform the Mew glitch. Right. Now.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2015
    Hey guys, I've been trying to build a cool team for my Pokemon Red Version, and I was wondering if you can give me any advice on my team so far.
    My team is:

-Gengar
    Hypnosis
    Explosion
    Thunderbolt
    Mega Drain

-Slowbro
    Amnesia
    Surf
    Thunder Wave
    Rest

-Tauros
    Body Slam
    Hyper Beam
    Earthquake
    Blizzard

-Exeggutor
    Sleep Powder
    Psychic
    Explosion
    Mega Drain

-Chansey
    Ice Beam
    Soft-Boiled
    Counter
    Thunder Wave

-Rhydon
    Earthquake
    Rock Slide
    Substitute
    Body Slam

Thanks!

Eight.Bit

May
    Years
  • Thanks everyone who helped me! Especially the people who pointed out Route 24. I went up there and met Bill and all that stuff, and ended up training my Butterfree and Bellsprout I caught. I ended up destroying her Starmie afterwards on the first try with only three pokemon (Bellsprout, WigglyTuff and Butterfree). So thanks for the advice. ^ ^ I really appreciate it!

MasterLemon

What's for tea?
    Years
  • Keep raising Bellsprout and never remove Sleep Powder. The stronger it is the better time you'll have on Lt. Surge.

She_Delphox

Delphox used Mystical Fire!
    Years
  • Regarding Bellsprout; I remember Wrap was a super annoying move back in Gen.1, this move keeps spamming your opponent, continuously holding them 'in your grip' and therefore helps you win battles ;)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back