• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen N, Ghetsis, or Colress?

N, Ghetsis, or Colress?

• N

Votes: 13 41.9%
  • Ghetsis

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Colress

Votes: 12 38.7%

• Total voters

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
  • The Gen V games introduces 3 different antagonists: N, Ghetsis, and Colress.

N_OD.png

N, or Natural Harmonia Gropius is the king of Team Plasma from the Black and White games. He's a boy who was orphaned and left in the woods where he was raised by pokemon, where he learned how to communicate with pokemon. Soon Ghetsis came by, claimed to be N's father, and raised him to be the king of Team Plasma. It was there that N began to realize that as long as Pokemon were being 'owned' by humans, they can never be free, so, he devised a plan to encourage and force trainers to release their pokemon.

We faced N a couple of times, where he soon develops a big interest towards us. He eventually was chosen to be a 'hero', partnering up with Reshiram or Zekrom (depending on what version you have), where he uses it to defeat Alder, to become the pokemon champion. That's when the main character has to come by N's Castle to defeat N and his legendary partner pokemon one more time. N realizes the error of his ways, thinking that maybe pokemon can be even happier with their partner humans after all.

Ghetsiswalkdown.png
    Ghetsis_OD.png

Technically Ghetsis was revealed as the Sage Leader in Pokemon Black and White, where he and a couple of Team Plasma members go around the region with propaganda stating, 'trainers! release their pokemon!' or something akin to that. He seemed to be a supporter for N until it's revealed that Ghetsis adopted N to be his son, and that his true intentions was to use N to allow Team Plasma to rule the world.

He dons a new black outfit in Pokemon White 2 & Black 2, and created the 'Neo Team Plasma'. His intentions to try and take over Unova became more apparent when he wanted to use Kyreum's power to freeze Unova to steal every pokemon in the region. To do this, he needed DNA splicers, as well as the research of the newly appointed Team Plasma boss, Colress. After defeating him, he.. snaps. The Plasma trio tells us that his heart is no longer able to commit crime.

Colress_OD.png

Again, Colress is the newly appointed boss in the Neo Team Plasma. We encounter him loads of times, the first being near outside Castelia, where he introduces himself to be someone who's interested in how the true strength of pokemon can be brought out. He then mentions Team Plasma, where he states that they did not agree with their previous ideals. We battle him a couple of times, even one time in the World Tournament, and he even helped us out by quelling a few Crustle that blocked our path.

Soon though, when we storm the Team Plasma base, we meet him again, where he reveals to be the new Team Plasma boss, where he reveals that he joined Team Plasma to pursue and research the true strength of Pokémon. After beating him, he realizes that pokemon strength can possible be improved by bonds.. or something akin to that. Then he decides that along with the defeated Team Plasma, they'd have to work hard to atone on all they've done.

Anywho, after all that's been said, Which one of these three do you like the most? Which one was the most challenging, and which one had the better development?

Years
  • I'd say Ghetsis gets my vote here. While all three of them were very well thought out, what gives Ghetsis my pick is in B2W2, where he has Kyurem attempt to impale you with icicles. That was a first for the series in having the villain attempt to physically harm you, which I really have to give credit for. Adding on to that, in the first games his attempt to play up Team Plasma as a facade to believe that they want to simply liberate Pokémon, while with a predictable outcome, was done quite good.

Then we have N, who in the aforementioned scene, pulls quite an epic bout by having Zekrom/Reshiram swoop in and destroy Kyurem's Glaciate with Fusion Bolt/Flare, but to me, what makes that so amazing was that Ghetsis planned on it the entire time based on the events present. And in BW, he had much to say about why he thinks Pokémon are friends, but at the same time he realizes that you're one who wants to challenge his values.

Finally there's Colress, who mostly wanted to discover the power of Pokémon and was willing to do whatever it took. He had a good masquerade as the villain for most of the way but I liked that he changed after your final fight with him.

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
    Years
  • N.
    We got to fight him and watch as he learned nore about the outside world. We practically tutored him, and through the beat way. Pokemon Battles have canonly been refered to as the 'best way to share feelings amoungst trainers', so I like how he literally was showed the 'truth' and 'ideals' of a trainer.
    Ghetsis is just kinda creepy and I hate how he used N, although beating him up in BW was fun.
    I haven't finished White 2 yet, but Colress.... Is kinda funny. He doesn't seem to pose any relevant threat to your character(at least up to Terrakion, that's where I am) and shows only a little interest in your character. However he's always felt creepy to me, ever since the sewers event.

Well that's my two-cents.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Of all these three characters, I would say I prefer N more.

Unlike many other antagonists in the past, N wasn't necessarily doing any bad deed; he was rather mislead by Ghetsis, which had sort of caused him to seem like villain throughout Black and White. This is new, in a way. Not only that, but his general appearance seems to work in his favor pretty well, too, making N look even more solid in my eyes.

As for second, I'm going with Colress. He was never an antagonist in Black 2 and White 2, per se, but seeing the guy actually join Team Plasma and become one of their leaders was a nice twist.

Margaery Tyrell

Growing Strong
    Years
  • Colress gets my vote, if really only because I love his battle theme and his personality (I'm weak to dorky and determined scientist types, aha).

N was complex and a pretty neat character, but I feel he's a bit overrated.

Ghetsis was a great villain, I won't lie, but he just isn't that appealing to me.

Years
  • I voted for Colress, because I'm one who loves scientist-type characters and also DAT HAIR. I do agree with Pendra's point about how he starts off not looking like much of a villain but then it becomes more evident as the story goes on, and then goes through one more change after the final battle against him.

Ghetsis is I think one of the most badass yet menacing villains in the Pokemon series to date, especially with that scene in B2/W2 where he tried to physically harm you with Kyurem's Glaciate, only for N to enter and save you. Also don't forget his massive moment where he wants to rule the world and tries to cover it up as wanting to "liberate Pokemon". And of course don't forget his menacing Hydreigon, which was a pain in the battle against him in B/W.

As for N, he's one of the most mysterious characters ever, and it's all because of the development he goes through, such as wanting to separate Pokemon and people but then notices you're the one who makes him change his values, especially after your trainer gets recognized as the hero by Reshiram (Black)/Zekrom (White). The scene where he saves you from Kyurem in B2/W2 had to be epic as well, especially given it leads to the crucial scene where the dragon gets fused with Kyurem.

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
    Years
  • Firstly i hate Ghetsis he needs too get a life and maybe not try too act cool lol
    Colress i love hes not evil per se i think he just wants to experiment and to him thats more important to him than others hes a pretty good semi villain but he is still behind N.

~N!
    Omg hes great hes like a villain but not a villian! He tries to be your friend eventhough your on opposite sides and i love that about him then while having fun in the Ferris wheel he drops this bomb on u haha. But i feel so bad for him he had a messed up child hood and ghetsis just uses everyone N is just a poor boy that was lost and due to parenting issues ended up like that haha. But his heart is in the right place he only wants what is best for pokemon and id do the same i see a lot of him in me except i have a better sense of humor XD but really hes a great trainer hes loving caring, idealistic and rational just didnt grow up on the ride side of the forest hahaha honestly hes hardly a villian at all but you do have to fight him but that was generally easy despite his use of an awesome legendary pokemon and HE DIDNT USE IT it chose HIM not the other way around thats just how special he is! Hes just awesome thats about it.

Espurr_Kawaii

Pokemon Trainer Coordinator
    Years
  • N also is my choice! Bcoz he is smart i think :D and i watch him on black & white movies, He is the great villain, (the 3 of them, N must i know a lot) XD But i heard that remaining villain in the choice :) i think its nice too! N also is interested the rare pokemon (legendaries) .

Years
  • Ghetsis because he's the only actual evil villain in Pokémon (not counting spin-off villains), wherein he abused his 'child', tried to manipulate people and kill you, seriously I think Glaciate works differently on human beings (pretty sharp icicles).

Years
  • N is the best of the 3 in my opinion, his personality develops so much, aside from his ability to understand pokémon and the fact that he is so miysterious, he genuelly wanted to help pokémon in Black and White because he thought Team Plasma's ambitions were true, he changes a lot and in my opinion he is a likable character.

Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2015
    Colress, by a mile. Not only he has a great battle theme and design, but I also find his personality to be enjoyable. He doesn't care about he feelings of others, he's only in it for science. He also brings in some rather original elements after the amount of generic villains we've had over the years.

Ghetsis is cool, but doesn't stand out to me all that much. Well, besides his battle theme. I don't like N. He is way too sentimental for my tastes. x_x

atmmachine11

Jumping portals since 1997.
    Years
  • I personally like Colress the most. I just think his design is really cool and I like his personality. N would be a close second since I also really like him, but I'm not really a fan of Ghetsis at all for some reason.

Years
  • I love Ghetsis. He is a really great villain. Plus, he's challenging. I can never seem to beat him the first time.

Colress is cool though also. I like his design.

N annoyed me. Haha.

Gandhi Savage

[FONT=Maven Pro][COLOR=#00AAFF]OJAMA DELTA HURRICA
    Years
  • I absolutely love all 3 of the main antagonists from the Unova games. Firstly you meet N, at one of Ghetsis' presentations. He comes across as a timid, but passionate kid. He's eccentric too; commenting on how he can hear your Pokémon talk, which if it was an off hand comment would be pretty strange! Then we have Colress, who is also really cool. He helps us through our adventure and comments several times how he just wants to see Pokémon reach their full potential. My favourite of the trio though is Ghetsis.

There's a few reasons for me deciding that Ghetsis is my favourite! He comes across as someone who cares deeply for Pokémon in his demonstration you see very early in the games, even if (to me at least) he seemed like a phony. His character develops thoughout the story and he shows his true, cold-hearted, colours at the end of BW where he reveals that he was using N as a scapegoat/puppet while he was taking control in the background. Ghetsis is a true villain, unlike the other twp. N and Colress are somehat likeable and you feel that they are morally grey whereas the leader of the Seven Sages is truly evil. Not to mention the Shadow Triad; what a group of immensely talented guys to help back himself up (idk why, but they remind me a lot of the Shield from WWE). Lastly, who can forget that last battle in BW, where you think you've conquered Team Plasma when you defeated N and has Reshiram/Zekrom and proved that you are a true hero only to be ambushed by Ghetsis and his Hydreigon, one of the best twists of any Pokémon game!

Years
    • Seen Feb 4, 2016
    Honestly, I don't know... I'm not even going to consider Colress because he unfortunately is just a pile of unused potential.

On one hand, we have N. He has amazing backstory, amazing music, amazing dialogue, he's overall very good, very three-dimensional. I have to say he was handled pretty well, I love how we got no background on his childhood until the end of the game. At which point you finally start feeling bad for the guy and sympathizing with him. And then he's gone for the rest of the game. Thanks for tearing my heart out, Game Freak.
    In the sequel, I love how they turned his theme music into something much lighter and fitting with N's character development. I also thought it was an amazing touch how in his battle sprite, he actually smiles. He's free and has seen the world for himself, and has become a much better person.

On the other hand, we have Ghetsis. Who is nothing short of a jackass. Ghetsis is one of the most desplicable villains I've ever seen. He gave N the tongue-lashing of a lifetime, tried to freeze/kill the B2/W2 protagonist and really pushed the boundaries for villains in Pokémon. He makes Lysandre, a genocidal psychopath, seem tame by comparison. However, the thing that's always struck me as weird and what I consider to be Ghetsis' biggest strength as a character is how, despite all his horrible actions, he never seems to become dull. Although we know he's far past irredeemable and will always do something bad, that doesn't stop players from still being invested in what he does and says, and he always manages to get under everyone's skin. That's why he's a good villain: he's so fun to hate. I'll admit I couldn't wait to see how low Ghetsis was going to get in B2/W2. I wasn't disappointed.

I don't think I've even made sense in this post, but whatever. I think I'll vote for N simply because although he's not as fun as Ghetsis and his battle theme is nowhere near as good as Colress' (then again, ain't nobody in the whole franchise can touch Colress when it comes to battle music), he got nice character development and he's one character I personally can relate to very much.

(idk why, but they remind me a lot of the Shield from WWE)

Oh God. Now I can't help but imagine the Shadow Triad giving the Striaton Triplets a Triple Powerbomb.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    N has an interesting backstory and character development, but I don't like him as a whole.

Colress on the other hand is more like your friendly acquaintance than a bad guy. As Torshawn says, Colress is a pile of unused potential, which is actually discovered through the anime series.

Ghetsis, isn't as developed as N's character but since he is related to N's background and development, it helps the gamers learn and understand more about Ghetsis. He is your generic evil, 'I'm dominating this place' kinda guy, but he's quite the tough customer when it comes to battle.

Back