• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Official New Girl Thread - Opinions and Discussion

Your feelings?

• Yes

Votes: 276 49.4%
  • No

Votes: 77 13.8%
  • Ram her in the face!

Votes: 206 36.9%

• Total voters

Poliwagged

is waggin' his tail
    Years
    • Seen May 12, 2012
    I'm SURE her OW sprite will look so much
    better than the art. Her big-%%% hat will be
    covering her whole body, anyways..

And also, I don't know what language any of you
    are speaking.. Marina and Chris looked
    PERFECTLY JOHTO. This girl looks like she
    parachuted out of the "5th Gen Airlines!".

Who cares if Johto is Neutralized, Centralized,
    Industrialized, Realized, Farmified, Countryriffic,
    or Deep Fried None of that really matter due to the
    fact that she looks nothing like a Johto heroin!
    Marina fit the part perfectly. The signature goggles..
    that cap... the blue hair that falls up, not down..
    Not only did she look like she was FROM Johto,
    she looked like she WAS Johto. They
    were a perfectly blended couple.. And now, when they
    add in that Soul/Heart/Spade/Diamond girl.. They
    added her in, just when they decide she's also going
    to be an NPC when you choose the boy!?!?

Why must be lose either way..
    We choose the girl, we play her through the whole story
    and get jealous of Gold's better looks..
    We choose the boy, we experience the torcher of having
    to play along with her, and get taunted and tormented
    by the fact that this girl could have been Kris/Marina..

Why Game Freak? Why!?

It's not that she looks bad or anything.. Well yes,
    she does look weird compared to the other Girls..
    but she isn't THAT awful. It just seems like she's
    from Digimon or Yu-Gi-Oh or something.. T_T
    Stop complaining and forcing your opinion on everyone else. You hate her, fine, you don't have to constantly put down everyone to glorify your opinion. No one honestly cares, your posts are just literally sickening to the eyes.

Either deal, or go back and play crystal in your nostalgia corner.

Penumbra

Do you enjoy reading this?
    Years
    Stop complaining and forcing your opinion on everyone else. You hate her, fine, you don't have to constantly put down everyone to glorify your opinion. No one honestly cares, your posts are just literally sickening to the eyes.

Either deal, or go back and play crystal in your nostalgia corner.

Tsk tsk tsk. Going out of the way to go off topic just to
    lazily (fail at trying to) insult me.
    4ubelow.

Spoiler:

[ontopic]
    I don't like her, ima.
    When comapred to Kris, don't like her.
    When not compared, I dislike her less, but I
    still dislike her... She looks like a lost Sinnoh
    girl who just escaped from Solaceon Town,
    not to offend anyone. I like the creativity
    and unique spin they decided to put on
    a character, but I don't think now was the
    best time to do it >_<'

Penumbra

Years
    Have you even seen the original trainers from Johto? The other reoccurring characters do share similar qualities as the new girl (if you haven't seen the link I posted earlier.) The bird trainer even has overalls as well. Don't the original trainers look like they're from "the country, too?" The new girl would fit in if these characters still look practically the same in the remake. And Penumbra, you don't have to like the new girl, but you don't have to be overly obnoxious about it. Not liking someone for their looks is just plain shallow.

Yay, we're all jumping on to the hate-wagon today, aren't we?
    I wasn't "overly obnoxious" about anything. You're just
    too easily offended, tbh. I didn't say one thing rude or
    "obnoxious" in that post. You see one guy who makes
    a hate-post, and you think you have a reason to attack,
    as well. and lolwut? Not liking someone for their looks is
    just plain shallow? so much wrong in that sentence..
    a) irl, there are several who would love to disagree.
    b) I was talking about that new girl, and solely her.
    c) I don't critique people on their looks or appearance...

unless it's all they have that defines them, as in this
    girl right here. We can't determine how much we like her or
    dislike her any other way than appearance, missy. I'd love
    to see you try to make up some new way of defining pieces
    of drawings. There's absolutely no personality or dialogue
    of her that's been released, or anything. Sorry to say this,
    but judging her by her looks is the only way to go.
    Call it shallow, call it unfair, call it wrong, call it unjust,
    whatever. It's all we have, and I'm using the only evidence,
    so YOU deal.

Poliwagged

is waggin' his tail
    Years
    • Seen May 12, 2012
    Tsk tsk tsk. Going out of the way to go off topic just to
    lazily (fail at trying to) insult me.
    4ubelow.

Spoiler:

[ontopic]
    I don't like her, ima.
    When comapred to Kris, don't like her.
    When not compared, I dislike her less, but I
    still dislike her... She looks like a lost Sinnoh
    girl who just escaped from Solaceon Town,
    not to offend anyone. I like the creativity
    and unique spin they decided to put on
    a character, but I don't think now was the
    best time to do it >_<'

Ok then, when the game comes out, you can rom hack it so that Kris is back in and all the rocket grunts are the new girl so you can kill her all you want.

I'm almost picturing that you printed out a picture of her and threw darts at her.
    You're making a brass generalization just because she has overalls, and they don't look anything like a farmer's overalls at all.

It feels like you have a superiority complex pulsing through your posts. You're making everyone out to be the bad guy while you're the hero who's only "Stating his opinion".

KnilShadowLink

#1 Arcanine Fanboy
    Years
    HATE HER!!

Pfft, Crystal was 10 times better >_> I think Blue looked better than Leaf, buuut that's just me. I'm a little bit old school, even though 2nd generation was my favorite ^v^ I still do prefer the classics, Hell I beat my Diamond with 1st gen only xD Alazakam, Machamp, Gengar, Golem, Golduck, & Rapidash (And I REFUSE to let my Magmar, Electabuzz, and Rhydon evolve...) But back to the topic, yeah I hate this new girl....

Oh yeah, I REALLY hope they don't ruin Gold....

Last edited:

Akira Uchiha

Akatsuki Shinobi! ^^
    Years
    Is it even possible to rom hack a new character into a game? Even if you're not playing it on a rom? If it is, T.T I wish I knew how. Sorry its off topic but I'm commenting on the last post...

LOL that would be funny if you made all the rockets look like the new girl XDXDXD

Penumbra

Years
    Ok then, when the game comes out, you can rom hack it so that Kris is back in and all the rocket grunts are the new girl so you can kill her all you want.

I'm almost picturing that you printed out a picture of her and threw darts at her.
    You're making a brass generalization just because she has overalls, and they don't look anything like a farmer's overalls at all.

It feels like you have a superiority complex pulsing through your posts. You're making everyone out to be the bad guy while you're the hero who's only "Stating his opinion".

Spoiler:

[ontopic]
    Well, I can't say anything about her farm-like clothing, since I'm apparently
    biased and I created a generalism towards farmer people. Everyone,
    kill me now, I'm frankenstein from the the dead. Aside from that,
    The girl seems like she mingles with the game the more times you
    look at her. At first, she completely rocked the world due to the fact
    that she wasn't kris, and looked like she sneaked out of a
    Sinnoh Remake (No, Poliwagged, I'm not saying everyone who wears overalls
    are from Johto! :(). Judging by the recent pictures of Neo Johto,
    I'm guessing they made her style to match the new johto, as well
    as the fact that they revamped Gold/Chris.

GunSaberSeraph

Durandal of the Devic Era
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2016
    Now that I've seen more and more of Soul, I have to say that I've finally gotten used to her. I hope someone makes a sprite of her with GenII style colors so we could see what it would be like if she was always there.

Penumbra

Years
    (I was typing that post before I saw your new post.) And don't call me, missy. You were being obnoxious in a way with your "BAH" post. It's just a game. You're arguing with me over a game that isn't even out yet. Sorry for thinking the "BAH" post you made was obnoxious.

I was trying to edit my post on a slow computer, so YOU deal. Yes, it is shallow to judge someone on their looks. Okay, what else shall I evaluate her by? Name one other method of determining whether you like a drawing or not. I dare you. I mean to not want to play a game because it doesn't have good artwork or graphics all of a sudden...? If you've read any of my posts before, you'd know that Gold/Silver was my favourite generation and I won't ditch it because they throw in a random twist. There's not even a purpose for nostalgia at this point, seeing as the music has already been deemed ruined (in terms of my standards, since I realllyyyy preferred the bleeps and bloops) by me, but that's my opinion. The graphics and mapping also got.. tweaked. Just another "difference" to the pile of cons. I'll still play the game, though. The originals didn't have good artwork or good graphics, but we all liked the game and the plot, did we not? But see, that was because we had a hint of their personalities via the Anime. Red was initially thought to be Ash, Gary to Gary, and Gold to Gold. Crystal showed up later on in the anime, sure, but she was THE first girl. No one could pass up an opportunity like that. That's what I mean when I say there's nothing else to evaluate this girl on, other than looks, seeing as she had no anime appearances or manga cameos or anything, so we can't determine her personality. Looks is all she has, really. I think you're all making too big of a deal over one small detail in the game. (Including myself, but I'm only continuing b/c of what you are saying to me.) I don't even know why I bother trying to reason with any of you. It's not because I like the character that I'm defending it. I'm just trying to get you people to understand it's only a game. You can still dislike the character like the thread says. I don't dislike her, really. I was just disappointed at first, seeing as it was a big shock that they deleted Crystal's existence. Kris was the milestone for Pokemon girls.. taking her out seems like a shame. It's like they're remaking the games, but leaving out the history behind them. that's a whole another topic, though. Aside from that, the only thing I didn't like is the fact that they gave her a big puffy hat and overalls, and her colours resembled too much of previous heroins. I'm not even going to argue about this any longer unless you thrash me in this thread. Thrash? That's so gen 1! Then, I'm standing up for myself. I apologize. I hope you will, too, but I'm not going to make you. You don't have to. I apologize.

If you have seen the old GS sprites, you could see that the new girl would fit in. (Even the Bird Trainer wears overalls.) That's probably where they got the overall idea from.

The bird trainer wore that because he was supposed to be some sort of bird tamer, and they were implying that he gets dirty a lot due to the fact that the birds poop and get feathers and crap all over them. I believe even the Gen 4 Bird girl is wearing overalls, no? She's wearing a different kind of overall style, like they're meant for fashion (in some odd way that no one in the real world has seemed to catch on to... yet). Well, Misty had the suspender shorts, Kris had the goggles and yellow shorts, May had the uber tight short shorts (and the first player to wear a bandana, not a hat.. why does the players always wear hats T_T?), Dawn had a skirt/dress, and this girl had an oversized hat + some overalls. Yay for fashion in the land of Pokemon!

Last edited by a moderator:

Akira Uchiha

Akatsuki Shinobi! ^^
    Years
    no ones going to answer me.... well w/e. I really hope I will get both versions so I can play as the new girl and see what her version of the game is like, before really deciding. ^^ Probably only the beginning of the game though until I decide.

zuniga325

Beginning Hacker in Training
    Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2011
    PKMN Trainer Kris

How do you guys feel about Kris being replaced by the new female Soul?

Soul is cute but I think it's not fair they replaced Kris especially since she made cameos in the show and is one the main characters in the manga series. Every single character (except Gold) has had major outfit changes. If Kris had Soul's outfit it would more of the cute feminine side of her.

What do you think?

Akira Uchiha

Akatsuki Shinobi! ^^
    Years
    Umm... well... I don't like Soul, if that's what you mean... ^^ The short version, I think she's ugly but her har is awesome. Of all the female players, Kris' design is one of my favorites. (the other is Dawn) However, I never played the original games, and as a result can only judge Krys by her appearance (just like Soul) so I never actually saw her as a character, only pictures of her. Therefore, I don't think I'm the best judge in the opinion XD

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    Penumbra in no way whatsoever pressed his opinion on anyone else, nor did his insult anyone with said opinion. You guys are just overly defending something that really merits no defense, and in turn pressing your opinion on him (and, in turn me and everyone sharing our opinion).

Stop attacking someone for expressing themself with valid points.

Jim

Dinner
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Dec 25, 2011
    Soul (assuming that's her name) was growing on me more and more until I saw GunSaberSeraph's signature :3

Crystal's blue hair > everything. Here's hoping she gets a cameo; analogous to Red as a super-optional-battler or replacing "Cal" in the Trainer House as I doubt she'll have story involvement... Mind you with any new content, who knows? (Kanto Story or maybe somehting similar to the Sevii Islands).

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    Since either the new girl/Gold will be playing a supporting role, then I wonder if that can lead to them having a cameo of Kris. If so, then I think it would be a cool twist.

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    Exactly, the game is made for fun and entertainment, not to continuously discriminate over the same things again and again.

Anyway, character development, I really want to see what kind of personality they give this new female. Especially since she is going to have a supporting role.

Akira Uchiha

Akatsuki Shinobi! ^^
    Years
    Sure, the game is about fun, but you are going to be CONSTANTLY staring at the new girl character if you play as her, so don't you think it's a good idea if you like how she looks?? Otherwise even if the game is fun you might get annoyed with the character. (This actually happened to me in RSE) DX And I was starting to like her until I saw that picture of Crystal and her outfit... -.-

Penumbra

Years
    Its like YOU People never try.No offense.

It's like YOU people who are desperately needing some evidence of the random claims they make.

LIEZ!!!!!!!!!
    She just got a Stupid Blue Hair,Seriously Blue Hair?

Um. k? Misty had orange hair, Dawn has blue hair as well. "Stupid blue hair?" You sound like a lost child whose trying to start an uproar by bashing hair styles and colour preferences.

Finnaly,Someone who Got "Personality".

Until you can spell "finnaly", a personality compliment from you won't really matter.

You got to be kidding me!

Yes, (s)he is kidding you! We're all just joking! It's completely ridiculous that Kris would change her clothes for a remake, because we all love how we can wear one set of clothes for a year and not have a swing of taste! yeyey!

Care To explain why?

Care to explain why it matters? It's an opinion. Seeing as this is the thread for it, an explanation isn't really needed.

Uh im sick Of You people,How many times I(Actully not only me) said why isnt Kris there or why she isnt Girly etc.

"you" people. Elaborate. You could be saying that to Michael Jackson, yet we'll never know since all you say is "You people".
    You're sick because of "us people". Well "us people" are getting pretty sick of you and your harsh judgement. No one cares why
    you said Kris isnt there or why she isn't girly. None of that really matters, due to the fact that the feminine hero is no longer Kris.

But you still Saying the samething ugh.Im leaving you alone until your brains figure it out.

speaking of brains, I wonder when yours will discover the art of punctuation.

Style isnt Important In games,Fun is the reason Theres Games. But you people dont Realize it!

Again with the you people! I can understand if you hate the girl and want to ram her face in with an 8 wheel truck, and you're trying to convince us to join your side, but saying stuff like "YOU PEOPLE" really isn't helping. At all.

Exactly, the game is made for fun and entertainment, not to continuously discriminate over the same things again and again.

"Fun and entertainment".. If this were true, there wouldn't be Tier Lists and the pokemon wouldn't be divided into groups because of their stats, and pokemon wouldn't even have stats or levels in the first place. Pokemon isn't just for "fun and entertainment". If it were,
    it probably would have been abandoned ages ago..

Also, you say "continuously discriminate". I assume you mean discriminating the characters, yes? In that case, I'd like to give you a proposal. You play a chunky, distorted character (Pokemon Green) while the rest of us plays with the new characters. You're acting like you wouldn't mind, not even one bit, if the main character was a friggin cardboard box.

Anyway, character development, I really want to see what kind of personality they give this new female. Especially since she is going to have a supporting role.

Um, wha? What dimension are you living in? Gold already had his anime appearance in Chronicles, and Marina was the girl. I don't think this new girl will have any anime appearance, nor manga, so I don't think we'd see any personality from-...

Wait, you mean to tell me that you're actually going to evaluate her based on her SUPPORTING ROLE? What the hell will that tell you? The only personality you'd see in the supporting role-character will be yourself, if you had chosen the other hero. Take DPPt for example. If you choose Dawn, Lucas will say (for example) "Hey Dawn! I just caught me another pokemon. Filling the Pokedex sure is hard, right?" and if you chose Lucas, Dawn would say "Hi Lucas! *giggle* I just found another pokemon in the tall grass and I caught it! Now I only have 492 more pokemon to go until I fill my pokedex! wee!"

The girl won't have a personality at all. You can't determine a character's personality unless they appear on the manga or anime, or if they're a constantly recurring NPC. The Rival's personality was hooked on to you at the beginning. You could tell he was hasty and was always in a rush. Dawn/Lucas? ..Yeah. I'll just wait until their autobiography comes out or something. Do you know why people liked May/Dawn/Misty/Cynthia and what not? Because their personality and behaviour was clear, either from being an NPC or from being in the manga/anime. I've said this speech a billion times.. The only way to evaluate this new girl is by her looks and nothing else. You can't see the character "evolve" and change as you progress, unless they're an actual rival. The rivals were the ones to evolve, and no your co-'dexholders. Example: Silver. He was terrible and rude and savage in the beginning. As you progress through the journey, he finally admitted his ways were wrong and decided to mature. Wally. He was soft and scared and acted like a little child in the beginning of the story.. Near the end, he was fully matured and grew up to love pokemon and handle them with ease.
    Ralph. He was hasty and always in a rush, until the end where he slowed down his pace and learned that pokemon need to be handled delicately. The supporting roles like Brendan/May or Dawn/Lucas? You didn't learn squat about them.

Last edited:
    Years
    Now that I've seen more and more of Soul, I have to say that I've finally gotten used to her. I hope someone makes a sprite of her with GenII style colors so we could see what it would be like if she was always there.

Done. :)

Spoiler:

I had to give her a more conventional-looking backpack, though, because the bag she's carrying is a little too difficult to draw clearly on a tiny, 16x16, 3-color character sprite.

I based the overworld sprites on Gold's and Crystal's sprites, and based the back picture slightly on Crystal's back picture, but the trainer card picture was drawn completely from scratch. (I think I could have made the hat a little bigger, though.)

I'm really getting to like her, too. I think she would have looked great alongside Gold back in the original Gold version.

Back