• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Photography School

Silver

Kyle
Years
  • Sorry for the late reply, seems like I am the only teacher now! XD
    Brane, I like the second picture, it is just well executed in my opinion.
    Silver, I will get back to you on that one when I find that VM you sent me! XD

There will be a new task coming up guys, however, only if you are all interested. Can you please let me know if you would like the school to carry on, since the activity has been down a lot. Just post here or VM me.​

It's cool. I haven't had time at all lately to shoot. Work is destroying my life lately. :(

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Hey guys, sorry I've been so ~away~ lately. I've been neglecting the school. However, I'm planning on writing up a bit of a tutorial on photography, not so much a practical one, but a theoretical one. This is just because Fabio already did a great job of writing one which is stickied in the section. However, there is just so much more to photography than clicking a button. So I'm hopefully going to go through some of the things beginner's and in fact more intermediate photographers need to know.

I've started writing it out, however, what I'll be teaching is a bit more about the eye, and what it takes to see a photo before taking it. It's not about constructing a scene all the time, but being at the right place at the sight time. Anyway, with this, I'm going to recommend you guys a photographer, I want you to look at his work and use it as inspiration.

gilad is one of my favourite photographers. He's always a source of inspiration for myself. He's outstanding, as a photographer. The difference between him and a lot that I've seen, is that his work is mostly spontaneous, he has the skill to take a photograph that could have been ruined in a split second. But what I want you guys to notice, is that he mixes his photography with his passion for poetry. This is something you guys should try to do. Because if you learn to tie your passions together, they could easily flourish. A lot of photography comes from the drive, patience and creativity of the person behind the camera. Remember, the camera just gets in the way, learn to see through it, and not see it, and you'll be on your way to taking better photographs.

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
  • Unfortunately I've been away a bit cause of school (winter here atm) haven't had much time and I've been camera-less because my cousin who's a photographer broke his N7000 had to borrow mine a bit and I've only just gotten it back over a week ago.

Though just after I got my camera back I had a bit of practice being asked to do some photography at a big family event. Funny enough it was a good place to work on those tips you Fabio and Silver gave me since there was hardly good light - Although there was natural light it was sorta dark and my camera didn't like it xD
    Been a weird getting used to the manual settings and MF but I'm getting there

Focus on the flowers seemed really off
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

I don't know what's with me with taking pictures of food xD But wasn't quite sure about positioning and lighting of these next 2:
    Spoiler:

Completely different place from the others, the lighting here was not as bright
    Spoiler:

Usually not that great at taking pictures of people - My positioning is usually off and they move a lot xD I think I was testing out my 50-200mm lens on this photo. Also was really cloudy that day.
    Spoiler:

I was quite surprised how this turned out because I was taking it from a window and most of the other shots weren't as good. (Seeing as the tree was too high up if I went outside and couldn't get a good shot)
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Yes, believe it or not, this school is still within revival...state? Annnyway, Zappy, some nice shots. Let me just drop some quick comments.

https://i835.photobucket.com/albums/zz279/zkytonblazer/DSC_0003.png?t=1311834823
    You see, what you have here, is a focus on too many things. I'm not a fan of the focal in general BUT, this would have been a nicer photograph had you went a little closer to the flowers, and avoided the champagne glasses. If you went at a different angle too, and got a bit of that outside world behind the flowers, by the window, it could have been a nice contrasting photo. Tranquility in flowers, and a bustling city behind.

https://i835.photobucket.com/albums/zz279/zkytonblazer/DSC_0074.png?t=1311835000
    Again, not overly interesting or anything, you could have had a better placement, to eliminate all the extra items around the scene. The bubbles are interesting too, but again you could have gone closer to them, and rather than just doing a dead on straight shot, you could experiment with different angles.

https://i835.photobucket.com/albums/zz279/zkytonblazer/DSC_0099.png?t=1311835363
    An interesting shot, a good one, but yes, I think the lighting tickles the food a little too much. Just on the blacks in fact, it works well on the meat. It really makes me want to eat it! But there's not a whole lot you can do about it if you're in a place with so much artificial lighting which is out of your control. It is actually a good shot, again, not too interesting, but it would certainly make it onto my menu design!

https://i835.photobucket.com/albums/zz279/zkytonblazer/DSC_0201.jpg?t=1311835367
    Now, if the glasses were removed from behind, and the focus was a little more on the center (ie. zoom in to the middle bun), you'd have a perfect shot. You could have positioned yourself a little more to the right, and straightened up your camera a bit. I hope you look through the lens, because that will give you the best accuracy. Don't worry about shots like this, you have so much time. Use it. Think about what you can set up yourself.

https://i835.photobucket.com/albums/zz279/zkytonblazer/DSC_0090.png?t=1311835360
    I like this a lot! You're not afraid to get up close and personal, and that's a great quality. One that you need when it comes to portraits. So the positioning is really good, the area could be better as you know, it was cloudy and the colours are a little dull, but the composition is fantastic. Details are a great thing. Keep working at portraits like this, the outcome can only get more satisfactory.

https://i835.photobucket.com/albums/zz279/zkytonblazer/DSC_0104.jpg?t=1311835365
    Nice shot, if, you had gotten closer. Pity you didn't have a better zoom. It's just got too blankness to the right. If you could have gotten this closer to just the bird we could have seen the detail and it'd be much better.

Anyway, some nice shots Zappy. You're free to keep them coming guys!

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    You are very much welcome Maly. Ignore the sign up list, I've been lazy with it. I'd love for you to join. Check the main post for a sign up sheet.

Aizuke

[b]long sword style[/b]
    Years
  • Haha okay, sweet.

Username: Aizuke
    Camera Type: Canon IXUS 210
    Experience (If any): Can't really say I'm a professional, I just enjoy taking pictures in an artistic manner as I see it.
    What you would like to learn: It's probably better if I start from a clean plate and learn everything right from the start. Well, not like, how to use a camera and stuff, I have that down obviously.. XD More like light settings, positioning, etc.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Good to see you on board. If you wish, you can post some of your work, or go out and take some new photos over the next few days and report back in. I or one of the other tutors can give you some feedback when we're about, it's all very relaxed really! You'll get out as much as you put into it, that kind of thing!

Aizuke

[b]long sword style[/b]
    Years
  • I have a few pictures I could post now, so I guess you could critque on what I might need to work/improve on before I go take some new photos. XD;

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Years
  • Some good pictures there Aizuke. This is only a quick reply so I am sure one of the other tutors will review them.

Ok guys, on behalf of the tutors, I am sorry that we have been inactive, I think I can speak for them to say that we have all been very busy!

I would like to set a new photography task and theme.
    Light is the soul thing that everything really needs to live and grow. Light can be captured in so many different ways, from over exposure to blurring lighting effects.
    So what I want you to do, is get creative with light. It can be real or artificial light, I don't mind.
    Some things could be having a slow shutter speed while a car goes past, having a lamp as the center of attention of the picture, just be creative. Don't just point and shoot. I want to know what you were thinking when you took the picture. What emotions your picture represents and conveys.

This is a pretty tough one to do because you can have too much blurring, ruining the picture.

Tips
    If you are taking a picture of a moving object, you need to be completely still yourself, even I can't do this completely, so simply rest the camera on a wall or a tripod if you are fancy or anything you can get your hands on. This way, only the subject will have the lighting streaks and not the whole picture.

Example
    Spoiler:

Good luck.​

Last edited:

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
  • Yes, believe it or not, this school is still within revival...state? Annnyway, Zappy, some nice shots. Let me just drop some quick comments.

https://i835.photobucket.com/albums/zz279/zkytonblazer/DSC_0003.png?t=1311834823
    You see, what you have here, is a focus on too many things. I'm not a fan of the focal in general BUT, this would have been a nicer photograph had you went a little closer to the flowers, and avoided the champagne glasses. If you went at a different angle too, and got a bit of that outside world behind the flowers, by the window, it could have been a nice contrasting photo. Tranquility in flowers, and a bustling city behind.

https://i835.photobucket.com/albums/zz279/zkytonblazer/DSC_0074.png?t=1311835000
    Again, not overly interesting or anything, you could have had a better placement, to eliminate all the extra items around the scene. The bubbles are interesting too, but again you could have gone closer to them, and rather than just doing a dead on straight shot, you could experiment with different angles.

https://i835.photobucket.com/albums/zz279/zkytonblazer/DSC_0099.png?t=1311835363
    An interesting shot, a good one, but yes, I think the lighting tickles the food a little too much. Just on the blacks in fact, it works well on the meat. It really makes me want to eat it! But there's not a whole lot you can do about it if you're in a place with so much artificial lighting which is out of your control. It is actually a good shot, again, not too interesting, but it would certainly make it onto my menu design!

https://i835.photobucket.com/albums/zz279/zkytonblazer/DSC_0201.jpg?t=1311835367
    Now, if the glasses were removed from behind, and the focus was a little more on the center (ie. zoom in to the middle bun), you'd have a perfect shot. You could have positioned yourself a little more to the right, and straightened up your camera a bit. I hope you look through the lens, because that will give you the best accuracy. Don't worry about shots like this, you have so much time. Use it. Think about what you can set up yourself.

https://i835.photobucket.com/albums/zz279/zkytonblazer/DSC_0090.png?t=1311835360
    I like this a lot! You're not afraid to get up close and personal, and that's a great quality. One that you need when it comes to portraits. So the positioning is really good, the area could be better as you know, it was cloudy and the colours are a little dull, but the composition is fantastic. Details are a great thing. Keep working at portraits like this, the outcome can only get more satisfactory.

https://i835.photobucket.com/albums/zz279/zkytonblazer/DSC_0104.jpg?t=1311835365
    Nice shot, if, you had gotten closer. Pity you didn't have a better zoom. It's just got too blankness to the right. If you could have gotten this closer to just the bird we could have seen the detail and it'd be much better.

Anyway, some nice shots Zappy. You're free to keep them coming guys!

Thanks for the comments Gav! Really appreciated!

Photography task #02​

I kinda wished I lived round the city where there are loads of lights but I had to take from what I had - In a way I was kinda thankful for the blackout we had the other night:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Question directed at: Any Tutor
    Question: Well I'm getting used to taking photos in the dark/low light now although artificial light can trip me up sometimes. I can't really say my exact problem because it varies some times. Sometimes the color is more darken and sometimes thanks to the lighting the picture turns out more red. I've played around with the shutter speed and exposure but it doesn't give me the 'crispness' of the photo that I get when I take photos in natural light. I know you can't change lighting in places but is there any way to how I can change how I take my photos?

Also I'm deciding on getting a new lens for my birthday this year, though can't seem to decide which one. I'm thinking either a Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 or a 50mm f/1.4 but I can't seem to choose atm.

Brane

-
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 10, 2016
    Sorry, these have been a tad photo manipulated :(

But yea, here you go :)

Photography School

Photography School

Years
  • Sorry Brane, but I am not going to accept those two pictures because there has been editing, and this isn't what the school is about. :(
    You can tell they have been edited too, well, I can. :(​

Question directed at: Any Tutor
    Question: Well I'm getting used to taking photos in the dark/low light now although artificial light can trip me up sometimes. I can't really say my exact problem because it varies some times. Sometimes the color is more darken and sometimes thanks to the lighting the picture turns out more red. I've played around with the shutter speed and exposure but it doesn't give me the 'crispness' of the photo that I get when I take photos in natural light. I know you can't change lighting in places but is there any way to how I can change how I take my photos?

Also I'm deciding on getting a new lens for my birthday this year, though can't seem to decide which one. I'm thinking either a Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 or a 50mm f/1.4 but I can't seem to choose atm.

Well, I would say get the f/1.4, just heard better things about it and I am considering that one. I would say change some of the ISO settings and see if there are any in-camera settings you can take advantage of.​

Brane

-
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 10, 2016
    Managed to find this while stumbling around the folder containing the originals:

Photography School

Unfortunately I can't get the other one because it's a bit icky without the editing (that comes due to the fact it was a night panorama so each photo took roughly 1-3 minutes xD)

Years
  • Yeh, that is better.
    Lovely photo really, those always are when they are done right. It looks like your shutter speed was about 2 seconds, am I correct?
    You could try a 5 second and then you would have a constant blur, instead of a break, but I still like it; I am a sucker for light speed pictures.​

Brane

-
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 10, 2016
    Yeh, that is better.
    Lovely photo really, those always are when they are done right. It looks like your shutter speed was about 2 seconds, am I correct?
    You could try a 5 second and then you would have a constant blur, instead of a break, but I still like it; I am a sucker for light speed pictures.​

Yea I have plenty, the one on the other page was an experimentation where I zoomed in and out during the shutter being opened (I'll see if I can find that original somewhere).

You're quite the opposite to me then :P The 5 second shutter lightened the sky too much and create heaps of bleeding light tbh. It seemed like just constant straight lines which I wasn't a fan of ;).

Edit: Here's a 4 second one.
    It wasn't actually overexposed :D But unfortunately I didn't take a 5 second one.
    Photography School

https://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g387/BranislavKitanovic/049.jpg
    Great shot, but as a matter of interest, where did you take it from?

I was on a bridge pathway over a freeway in Melbourne.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    The 4 second one is much more fluid and it has a bit more flow to it. It'd be nice to see a little higher resolution, a larger version just to see the detail a bit better.

Back