• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Platinum Tier Supporters

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen May 31, 2018
    I tend to agree.

Personally, I liked the older system. It was really easy to differentiate between tiers because of rank images, now with just colours...not so much. Maybe we could revert back to the old system where supporters are one colour, but instead to maintain simplicity, we only have three or four tiers of supportership?
    Most of the time, I kind of agree too. And I know just the perfect color for supporters now ;)

Though! Somewhere in this thread it was brought up that it was indeed nice with a system based on pokemon and colors rather than numbers. Instead of literally being obviously ranked, we were just grouped in a less obviously hierarchic fashion. I can see why this system was adopted, even though I still think it's neater with only one supporter color.

In another way though, I felt like there was more of a common supporter atmosphere when we all had the same color. I didn't really know or care much about who was tier 1 or tier 5 - we were all green! But for those who did care, maybe this poke/color system is both more obvious and less blatant at the same time, if that makes any sense.

tl:dr; I like one unified color better but I understand that this system has its merits.

Uh... Is this " on topic" or not, I'm not really sure anymore.

Years
  • I tend to agree.

Personally, I liked the older system. It was really easy to differentiate between tiers because of rank images, now with just colours...not so much. Maybe we could revert back to the old system where supporters are one colour, but instead to maintain simplicity, we only have three or four tiers of supportership?

Most of the time, I kind of agree too. And I know just the perfect color for supporters now ;)

Though! Somewhere in this thread it was brought up that it was indeed nice with a system based on pokemon and colors rather than numbers. Instead of literally being obviously ranked, we were just grouped in a less obviously hierarchic fashion. I can see why this system was adopted, even though I still think it's neater with only one supporter color.

In another way though, I felt like there was more of a common supporter atmosphere when we all had the same color. I didn't really know or care much about who was tier 1 or tier 5 - we were all green! But for those who did care, maybe this poke/color system is both more obvious and less blatant at the same time, if that makes any sense.

tl:dr; I like one unified color better but I understand that this system has its merits.

Uh... Is this " on topic" or not, I'm not really sure anymore.

You know I think you two might be right, in fact I've looked into the pros and cons between the old system and the current "color" system.

Old Tier System
    [+] All names were one color (I wasn't into the green names though)
    [+] Supporters actually have userbars in postbits
    [+] Less confusion between ranks
    [-] There was too many tiers
    [-] Not much significant difference perk-wise

Current System
    [+] More difference between ranks perk-wise
    [+] Customized usertitles for higher tiers
    [+] Perk differences made more incentive to donate
    [-] Too many colors
    [-] Still no new userbars

I think the solution would be to keep the benefits of the current system but make everyone's name one color. Sorta like combine the old and the new stuff together.

Musicality

~Musical Melodies~
    Years
  • You know I think you two might be right, in fact I've looked into the pros and cons between the old system and the current "color" system.

Old Tier System
    [+] All names were one color (I wasn't into the green names though)
    [+] Supporters actually have userbars in postbits
    [+] Less confusion between ranks
    [-] There was too many tiers
    [-] Not much significant difference perk-wise

Current System
    [+] More difference between ranks perk-wise
    [+] Customized usertitles for higher tiers
    [+] Perk differences made more incentive to donate
    [-] Too many colors
    [-] Still no new userbars

I think the solution would be to keep the benefits of the current system but make everyone's name one color. Sorta like combine the old and the new stuff together.

I'm actually fine with the current color system, but think that this system would really be great with the inclusion of those userbars in postbits, not by number, but with a Pokemon to represent the current tier a user is in. That way here are still different "tiers" of supporters that many people are for, bit it'll be done in a much more subtle way, not with a bold "6", but rather a Pokemon that ties in well with the overall Platinum theme. It'll also solve the problems about users wanting the old userbars back and the problem about supposed superior attitude because of tier placing somewhat.

If we had a common color, I'm sure that over time people will voice out this opinions with regards to the color, because not everyone will like the color, and at the same time may not be happy with the regular black username. Having multiple colors at least gives the users who don't like a fixed color to choose between the 5 different colors, inclusive of the black username.

Years
    • Age 34
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    If we had a common color, I'm sure that over time people will voice out this opinions with regards to the color, because not everyone will like the color, and at the same time may not be happy with the regular black username. Having multiple colors at least gives the users who don't like a fixed color to choose between the 5 different colors, inclusive of the black username.
    Oh, believe me. Every other year or so, supporters have opinion on their color. In my time on PC they've gone from purple to blue to bright green to multicolored like today. And that's okay I think, change is fun! However, with this multicolor system, a change now and then is less likely since it might require changing all the colors at once to still match up with a theme (like legendaries of Johto now) (platinum is extra tier, so non-Johto pokemon makes sense).

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
  • The number of colour-related ideas and opinions in this thread is a shining example of why we're usually so reluctant to discuss username colour changes. There's always a load of fuss and backlash over a relatively minor thing and we always end up back at square one again. Personally I'm not in support of changing any username colours right now.

Bit of housekeeping by the way - I fixed the battle server staff text rank the other day and when we get userbars (hopefully soon) I'll see what I can do about getting it working for supporters too. Hopefully you won't be waiting too long now - it all depends on how busy people who can make userbars (not me) and code them into the rank switch plugin (me and a few others) are.

Musicality

~Musical Melodies~
    Years
  • Yeah, it's definitely a minor issue, but there will be people who just can't stand their color. Personally I don't see why before or if any changes are implemented they can't change their color to a lower tier or something they like, because if you really want it, it's noticable if you're of a certain tier. (eg. Avatar Sizes, Crystal only allows basic BBCode while Platinum allows CSS). This already sets one apart from other members if they're looking to be different from the rest and still have a color that you like. I personally think that while some colors like Silver and Platinum could be improved, the fact that we have the freedom to change colors (though that would require work on the admin's part) and that we have a reasonable variety of colors and are not limited to one is cool enough for me.

Years
    • Age 34
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Yeah, it's definitely a minor issue, but there will be people who just can't stand their color. Personally I don't see why before or if any changes are implemented they can't change their color to a lower tier or something they like, because if you really want it, it's noticable if you're of a certain tier. (eg. Avatar Sizes, Crystal only allows basic BBCode while Platinum allows CSS). This already sets one apart from other members if they're looking to be different from the rest and still have a color that you like. I personally think that while some colors like Silver and Platinum could be improved, the fact that we have the freedom to change colors (though that would require work on the admin's part) and that we have a reasonable variety of colors and are not limited to one is cool enough for me.
    Yep! And allow me to reiterate something I've said before: you actually have looooads of username colors to choose from! Just choose to display as non-supporter and choose a PC skin with a link color of your preference :D once tier userbars arrive, this will be the simplest of solutions.

Ok now I'm done ;) cheers.

Musicality

~Musical Melodies~
    Years
  • Yep! And allow me to reiterate something I've said before: you actually have looooads of username colors to choose from! Just choose to display as non-supporter and choose a PC skin with a link color of your preference :D once tier userbars arrive, this will be the simplest of solutions.

Ok now I'm done ;) cheers.

That's actually quite the solution, and you actually have the freedom to customize it to tons of different colors, though it technically isn't "customization". I may actually consider doing that next time, but I think the main reason why there was so much heated debate in the first part of this thread before it got on topic again was because some users wanted a different color that could be displayed to everyone else. Oh well.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    The number of colour-related ideas and opinions in this thread is a shining example of why we're usually so reluctant to discuss username colour changes. There's always a load of fuss and backlash over a relatively minor thing and we always end up back at square one again. Personally I'm not in support of changing any username colours right now.

Bit of housekeeping by the way - I fixed the battle server staff text rank the other day and when we get userbars (hopefully soon) I'll see what I can do about getting it working for supporters too. Hopefully you won't be waiting too long now - it all depends on how busy people who can make userbars (not me) and code them into the rank switch plugin (me and a few others) are.

Mine weren't good enough even as placeholders? :(

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
  • Mine weren't good enough even as placeholders? :(

I... didn't see them. Oops. I'll read this thread like, properly when I'm home. Haha.

Also although people have said it already you guys might appreciate to know directly from me that yes, if you PM me I will change your username colour to another lower supporter group.

Back