• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Player saved the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • When I was younger, I had a difficult time getting through Victory Road in Yellow because I wasn't aware I could push the boulders down the holes in order to create paths XD I thought there was no way out, and I hated how I kept encountering wild Pokemon (I wasn't smart enough to use Repels at the time).

As for training, I've only really trained Pokemon in Victory Road in FRLG and GSC. Given, I still had trouble training Pokemon in FRLG, since it felt like it took forever for them to level up. (They were definitely at higher levels, but I still had difficulty fighting the Pokemon League with them.) It was also sometimes hard beating some of the Pokemon if you didn't have any moves that were super effective against them, especially since quite a few found in FRLG's/GSC's Victory Roads were defensive. Not really fond of training there otherwise, especially since there are ways to battle Trainers, especially in the later games (e.g., the Battle Chateau and restaurants in XY and the sports domes in BW/BW2). You get experience AND money (and sometimes items), plus you don't always have to worry about wild Pokemon, so it's much better, in my opinion.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I wish they'd make it so that difficulty of passing through Victory Road depended on whatever gameplay mode you happen to choose. For example, in BW2, they had options to select how tough you'd like your game to be; now, from that, if you wound up going with easy, it would've been great if Victory Road's path would automatically change, having you utilize less HMs.

Years
  • Victory Road in X and Y was laughably easy, but I don't know if I want that to change. In the past, Victory Road has been extremely annoying and I usually dread having to go through it. Like all beat all the gyms, get to Victory Road, save, and not play the game again for like days haha.

Years
  • I like the idea of having Victory Road's layout and overall difficulty change depending on what mode you choose. Of course, I love Challenge Mode and dislike when Victory Road's annoying, so I'll probably end up complaining about how much of a pain it is to get through, haha. At the same time, though, it wouldn't be a complete drawback since the Trainers'll be challenging and will help with boosting my Pokemon's levels :3b

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • I think this ties into one of our previous discussions, because I would really love the Victory Roads to be adventures and challenging, however, that usually comes with the price of sacrificing 3 of your team members with HM slaves in order to be able to get through. Gamefreak acknowledged this and reduced the number needed in newer generation Victory Roads, however, it still wasn't the same as having to rock climb/surf/navigate boulder mazes in the depths of caverns. This would all be fixed if Pokemon were given HM traits instead of moves, or we just had items. :p

Years
  • Victory Road in X and Y was laughably easy, but I don't know if I want that to change. In the past, Victory Road has been extremely annoying and I usually dread having to go through it. Like all beat all the gyms, get to Victory Road, save, and not play the game again for like days haha.

Really? I actually found Victory Road in XY to have a lot of very scary trainers, especially the Fighting-type ones and the Veterans at the very end. And there was a tiny bit of Strength and Rock Smash to be utilized, although the trainers I find a lot worse than the puzzle parts.

Years
  • DPPt's Victory Road was a pain to get through because of the number of HMs needed x_x Six HMs (though you could get away with five if you were able to get through the foggy area) meant at least one HM Slave (unless you taught all the HMs to your Pokemon). I think one time I didn't have a Water type or a Pokemon that could learn Surf or Waterfall, so I had to grab two HM Slaves, orz Also didn't like that BW2's Victory Road had an area for Cut; at least it wasn't required, though. (Plus, I liked that there was a forested area since previous Victory Roads were nothing but caves/cliffs.)

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    DPPt's Victory Road was indeed tough, but to me, its pathways seemed to be more fun to explore than in previous games, so to speak. I'm not sure what, but for me, something about it just clicked. Though, there were a lot of wild Pokémon; you'd encounter something on almost every step, which was sort of annoying. Thankfully, though, I'd manage to avoid this in my later runs, by filling my bag with dozens of Max Repels.

Years
  • Ah yes, Victory Road is pretty nasty with encounters, especially in BW with those Durant. But XY has it the worst, since the wild Pokémon range from Level 57 to 59! In my challenges I couldn't use Repels most of the time because even if I would they would still bypass that.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Pokémon bypassing repels is new to me; was never aware of that it existed. I might've experienced it a couple of times before, but don't exactly remember, though.

Years
  • Aside from using Sweet Scent/Honey/fishing/etc., wild Pokemon only bypass Repels if their level is the same as or higher than your lead Pokemon's. iirc this applies to legendaries, too, but I can't remember. It can be a pain if you're underleveled or are trying to raise underleveled Pokemon by fighting Trainers (particularly in caves or water routes), that's for sure XD

Years
  • Haha, that's kinda what I meant to say, that they'd bypass my Repels due to being higher leveled than me, sorry if that wasn't clear. xP

But I also noticed that when you spray a Repel in XY, it says "The likelihood of encountering wild Pokémon decreased!" Whether that means it guarantees you won't run into anything lower leveled than you or not I don't really know, but if it does then it's a bit weird. Perhaps it helps against higher leveled foes?

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Ah, okay, that makes sense! As for Repels in XY, I don't think I've been able to exactly notice that bit of text; whenever I use things like this, I always keep pressing A without noticing what's going on on-screen. By the looks of it, it doesn't seem as if it's guaranteeing you, though.

Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2023
    When I hit a part that has a ton of grass, I look through my inventory and I use a Repel (If I have one). My team generally does be a higher level then wild Pokémon, so all I would need to worry about it battling the trainers. Definitely comes in handy when you arrive at Victory Road. Some of them are just plain annoying >_> (yes you hoenn)

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I wish there were some Pokémon that could produce Repels themselves. This way, you don't need to buy any (and save a lot of money) and use them instead. Of course, they would have to put some limitations so that things don't become too easy.

Having Pokémon with Intimidate ability in your first team slot does work to some degree, but I'm personally not too comfortable with that; it doesn't always work, sadly.

Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2023
    I wish there were some Pokémon that could produce Repels themselves. This way, you don't need to buy any (and save a lot of money) and use them instead. Of course, they would have to put some limitations so that things don't become too easy.

Having Pokémon with Intimidate ability in your first team slot does work to some degree, but I'm personally not too comfortable with that; it doesn't always work, sadly.

I'd like to see some natural decrease of encounter rates if the first Pokémon in the party is several levels higher then the wild Pokémon. This could come really handy at times, but slightly annoying at some times. Still would be a really cool mechanic though. Would really wish they would implement something like that, but I doubt it. Gamefreak will stick to the tradition.

Years
  • I wish there were some Pokémon that could produce Repels themselves. This way, you don't need to buy any (and save a lot of money) and use them instead. Of course, they would have to put some limitations so that things don't become too easy.

Technically, there are Pokemon that can do this! As of XY, Pokemon with Pickup may find a Repel. Of the items they can find, there's a 30% chance of finding a Repel if they're between levels 41-50, and a 10% chance if they're levels 1-40. (If they're 51 and higher, they won't be able to find a Repel anymore.)

A natural decrease in encounter rates would be really nice; it wouldn't be too much of a pain if you're looking for Pokemon to capture so long as you have Honey or a Pokemon with Sweet Scent. (Of course, if it's raining in the area, neither will work x_x)

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Oh, that's pretty cool! They might still find other things, though, which makes chances of them getting a hold of Repels is sort of low, doesn't it? It's still better than nothing, though, definitely.

Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2023
    Oh, that's pretty cool! They might still find other things, though, which makes chances of them getting a hold of Repels is sort of low, doesn't it? It's still better than nothing, though, definitely.
    If you compare one Repel to a place like Victory Road, oh how quick that Repel will run out. And like you said, you won't always get a Repel. I guess the best way is to rely on Super Repels as of now. I would really like if any Pokémon, high or low levelled every once in a while get a really useful item, like a Super Repel or a Hyper Potion. This can be useful when going through caves and you have underlevelled Pokémon ^-^

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back