• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Patch: Pokémon Emerald - ROM Base (Free to Use)

Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2023
    "PGE v3.7 and/or v3.8.1 - I recommend using pge version 3.7, because in version v3.8.1 is crashing the program by clicking the Pokémon Editor. Pokemon Emerald Liberate - Base v1.0.ini inside the folder."

Sorry to say this but I have found it impossible to open my ROM with PGE. Because there is no such file named Pokemon Emerald Liberate - Base v1.0.ini in the link that you have provided. Where exactly is this file, pray tell?

Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2023
    Can't exit 5th gym Leader's Room Bug:
    Open A-Map to Map 8.1 (Petalburg Gym)
    Person Event 1 (Norman)
    Script $002049F1
    Line: 442
    Change from "end" to "return"

This bug prevents the exit doors from appearing as it ends the script before the doors appear. If you're currently trapped in the room, this fix will still work. Just reload the ROM when you're done.

I may have caused this bug myself, but sharing if anyone else experiences the issue.

Years
    • Seen May 6, 2024
    Hey, I got the download, patched it with the rombase, and named it after the test save file. But all the pokemon cry sounds are missing. Do I have to add them myself?

Years
    • Seen May 6, 2024
    This rom base is a waste of my time. It doesn't have any Pokemon cry sounds so I tried to add updated ones for Treecko and Torchic, but when I played he game up to choosing a starter Pokemon, Treecko and Torchic still made no sound. What a scam this was! There is no point for me to make a rom hack using this as a rom base without any Pokemon cries. The guy who made this removed the pokemon cry sounds, so I rather not make it with this.

Years
    • Seen May 6, 2024
    I have a problem with this rom base. I mean, everything else is great: It has all 721 Pokemon + Alolan Forms and Mega Evolutions, Lost of moves from Gen III to VII, and updated sprites. But the thing that ticks me off is that I can't believe you took off the sounds for the Pokemon cries and I can't replace them due to some stupid reason. You better have a reason for making me waste my time adding sounds that won't even work?!

Years
    • Seen May 6, 2024
    This rom hack base is not for me. Is there a way I can do this using hex editing? (HxD Editor, not HexManiacAdvance because my crappy computer is incompatable.)

Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2023
    hello, good, I liked your base, it's very good, I just found a small error in the rom, it's not very serious, it's in the hexmaniac tool, in the pokemon table, it doesn't show the movements of the pokemon that have per level, it just happens there in pge if they come out normal

Years
    • Seen May 6, 2024
    I can't add cries because you disabled them and my PC is incompatible with .NET Framework. How do you add more items with python and without decomp?

Years
    • Seen Nov 22, 2023
    Not sure if i'll get a response here, but could anyone help me with adding some of the new items from this base to a PokeMart? I know how to find the Ids and i've got the script working, but when I try to add a life orb for example, a soda pop appears in my mart instead. I suspect i'm just missing something obvious but i'm very new to this haha.

Years
    • Seen Oct 28, 2023
    Not sure if i'll get a response here, but could anyone help me with adding some of the new items from this base to a PokeMart? I know how to find the Ids and i've got the script working, but when I try to add a life orb for example, a soda pop appears in my mart instead. I suspect i'm just missing something obvious but i'm very new to this haha.

I don't know if this is the fix for your problem, but this is from an old post:

Instead of putting the hex index of the item, put the index in dec, for example: Relic Statue, your index is 831. Instead of
    why in the script: "raw word 0x33F", put this "raw word 831" (without the quotation marks)

Years
    • Seen Oct 28, 2023
    While not perfect, this is probably the best modern rom base for Emerald when it comes to binary romhacking
    I'm glad something like this exists and very thankful for all the effort put into it, buuut... There are some problems:

-Having to insert the cries is annoying but not the end of the world as a certain spammer some posts above makes it out to be
    -The rom base should come with disabled animations to avoid the inconsistency of newer Pokemon not having them. Disabling the animations through hex is painful as it is, but with the rom's new offsets it's even worse
    -Some sprite choices are outdated/not the best and every sprite is aligned in such a way that even grounded Pokemon have shadows, which doesn't look very good. This is all is easily fixed with PGE but still a bit annoying
    -There's no easy way of getting rid of some potentially unwanted features, like wild double battles.
    -The new DS style backgrounds glitch slightly during attacks that shake the screen up and down, presumably because the backgrounds are slightly misaligned

But hey, all things considered, this rom base is a huge timesaver for the few of us who stubbornly stick to binary instead of decomps, and without it I would have given up on making a Gen3+ project!

Edit: Oh and BTW, for all people looking for the Pokemon Emerald Liberate - Base v1.0.ini to use with PGE, it's actually called test.ini (I assume OP changed the rom base name to default at some point but forgot to update the description)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 22, 2023
    I don't know if this is the fix for your problem, but this is from an old post:

Instead of putting the hex index of the item, put the index in dec, for example: Relic Statue, your index is 831. Instead of
    why in the script: "raw word 0x33F", put this "raw word 831" (without the quotation marks)

That worked perfectly! Thank you for the help I really appreciate it :)

Years
    • Seen Oct 28, 2023
    Seriously ,the new battle backgrounds had to be optional... I managed to revert the standard ones by restoring the default battle background offset table, but this breaks the special battle backgrounds (for the Elite 4 and some other battles) which are stored elsewhere. I have spent several hours trying to reverse engineer this but I have no idea what the patch maker did to the game to insert the new special backgrounds because they're not stored with the rest and the original pointers no longer work even though they do for the standard backgrounds.

Add to these all the little things I had to manually fix or reverse engineer and despite my mostly good first impressions, I can't recommend a base rom which you have to spend more time fixing that if you were to just start from scratch :/
    At this rate I might end up learning the decomps and switch to that like almost everyone else has at this point...

Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen yesterday
    Hello, I have created an unofficial update to this rombase.
    Let me start by saying that I can't reach Li Yun (the original creator of the base) so I release this without his knowledge.
    What I have done is fix some of the bugs the base has. Namely :
    1. Petalburg Gym (where you couldn't get out of it)
    2. The base had an issue where you couldn't import new battle backgrounds if you wanted to so that's fixed too.
    3. Not a bug but I restored the original Gen 1-2-3 cries.
    4. Wonderguard was broken, now it's fixed
    5. Some items given to the player were "New Item" replaced those with the correct ones.
    6. Egg Moves
    7. TM Compatibility Table
    8. Move Tutor table
    9. Type Names
    10. Created a table for trainers with evs (data.trainers.evs) (for info regarding this look at the EVs Trainers file in the original download in pokecommunity)
    11. In Game Trades Table
    12. For those who don't know eevee's evolutions can't be edited from the pokemon data in this rombase, because eevee has expanded evolution methods to 8. So I made a table for Eevee's evolutions too. You can find it as data.pokemon.eevee.evolutions .
    13. Because the poke balls have been edited and Premier Ball doesn't exist in the base anymore, I made it so you get an extra Poke Ball for every 10 you buy.
    14. I changed the sprites for the elemental balls added in the base and the sprite for Link Stone.(credits for these in the extra credits file)
    15. In Game trades table
    16. Restored Original Summary screen sprites and Type Icon Sprites cause the ones in the base weren't recognized by HMA and therefore unable to be edited.
    **Now the base should be fully compatible with HMA** There could be more stuff that I don't know about but they are probably very small, if you happen to find something be sure to tell me.
    EDIT: Updated the toml even more, now there's a table for the type chart at "data.pokemon.type.chart" as well as some extra tables for moves affected by abilities like Sharpness (or Blademaster in this base).

Last edited:
    Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen yesterday
    Seriously ,the new battle backgrounds had to be optional... I managed to revert the standard ones by restoring the default battle background offset table, but this breaks the special battle backgrounds (for the Elite 4 and some other battles) which are stored elsewhere. I have spent several hours trying to reverse engineer this but I have no idea what the patch maker did to the game to insert the new special backgrounds because they're not stored with the rest and the original pointers no longer work even though they do for the standard backgrounds.

Add to these all the little things I had to manually fix or reverse engineer and despite my mostly good first impressions, I can't recommend a base rom which you have to spend more time fixing that if you were to just start from scratch :/
    At this rate I might end up learning the decomps and switch to that like almost everyone else has at this point...

Actually that was pretty easy to fix, it's fixed in the update I released above and you can change your battle backgrounds easily with HMA.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    NSE only has fire red bookmarked sprites you have to figure out the ones for emerald.

How can I find them for this specific Rom-Base?

All of the sprites that I can view in the Navigator are either Solid Blocks of Color, or are a Block of Glitch-Mess

Is that normal...?

Years
    • Seen Nov 12, 2023
    Hey guys, I need your help on something

I really need to edit the type icons on this Rom. But I cant do It properly. I tried NME and HMA. Can Simeone help me?

Days
    • Seen Nov 7, 2023
    Hello, I have created an unofficial update to this rombase.
    Let me start by saying that I can't reach Li Yun (the original creator of the base) so I release this without his knowledge.
    2. The base had an issue where you couldn't import new battle backgrounds if you wanted to so that's fixed too.
    5. Some items given to the player were "New Item" replaced those with the correct ones.
    6. Egg Moves
    8. Move Tutor table
    9. Type Names
    10. Created a table for trainers with evs (data.trainers.evs) (for info regarding this look at the EVs Trainers file in the original download in pokecommunity)
    11. In Game Trades Table
    12. For those who don't know eevee's evolutions can't be edited from the pokemon data in this rombase, because eevee has expanded evolution methods to 8. So I made a table for Eevee's evolutions too. You can find it as data.pokemon.eevee.evolutions .
    13. Because the poke balls have been edited and Premier Ball doesn't exist in the base anymore, I made it so you get an extra Poke Ball for every 10 you buy.
    14. I changed the sprites for the elemental balls added in the base and the sprite for Link Stone.(credits for these in the extra credits file)
    15. In Game trades table
    16. Restored Original Summary screen sprites and Type Icon Sprites cause the ones in the base weren't recognized by HMA and therefore unable to be edited.
    **Now the base should be fully compatible with HMA** There could be more stuff that I don't know about but they are probably very small, if you happen to find something be sure to tell me.

Thank you for the update. Anyway to undo the type chart changes the original author did? I been looking on how to change type effectiveness using various programs and none seem to be working atm for the base, since s/he moved where they were and how they are done.

Years
  • Hello, I have created an unofficial update to this rombase.
    6. Egg Moves
    8. Move Tutor table
    9. Type Names
    11. In Game Trades Table
    15. In Game trades table
    https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1117108336802926662/1145323338940547082/Rom_Base_v2.4.6_Unofficial_Update.zip

This might sound like a stupid question... but how do you patch this? I tried using both the link in the original post and NUPS and then tried loading the game in VBA, but it doesn't seem to be working, while the original base works just fine

Back