• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

FIQ

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    The capture check for legends is reversed in 2.01, meaning they wont respawn if you haven't caught them, but will respawn if you have.

Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2021
    The issue at hand isn't a legendary respawning. The issue is where is Misty. I thought the respawn might have something to do with a trigger to get her to appear at the cape. Zapdos is linked to the power plant storyline, maybe the game doesnt think I've completed it yet, i.e. Misty doesnt show up

FIQ

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    Rangi:
    I fixed proper accuracy calculations -- due to the internal value of move accuracies, simply multiplying by 100 and checking for 0 and otherwise add 1 seems to always give the correct answer, so it was easier than I expected.

This is how it ended up like in-game:
    Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

Do you prefer your own design of the move interface? Otherwise, I can send a PR with this change.

Do you know if moves that target the user depends on the accuracy stat in any way? If not, those should be changed to 0 so that it can properly be translated to "---"...

EDIT: Also, one thing worth noting: x * $ff / 100 will actually generally give lower accuracies than later generations. It should be x * $100 / 100 for optimal representation (replacing 256 with 255, but otherwise). 2gen checks accuracy the same way as 1gen. The reason 100%-accuracy moves are truly 100% and not 99.6% (255/256) is because if a move would end up with 255 accuracy, it skips the random roll alltogether.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2021
    Honestly though, where is Misty? Not in her gym, power plant done. Is this a glitch? Gym states "she's out for a while"

Years
    • Seen Oct 10, 2016
    I had a blast with this hack. Red and Green were very hard. My team was Crobat/Sunflora/Rhydon/Feraligatr/Jynx/Mismagius (~level 65) and Red's Pikachu completely destroyed me the first few times, lol.

The level curve was great and I enjoyed all the changes to the overworld and the new types/stats (Sunflora especially!).

Thanks a lot for this hack.

One request, would it be possible to implement a Pikachu with both Fly and Surf? Would be pretty neat, and it actually exists irl!

Small bugs I noticed:

When you sort the Pokedex on alphabetical order, Chikorita appears twice in the list:

And something strange with the Pikachu sprites while in the box. It appears correctly at first, but when you check the stats and return, it reverts to the original sprite:

Also, some 'flying Pikachu' I catch have Surf instead of Fly. I don't know if that's intentional or a bug tho.

Last edited:
    Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Rangi:
    (snipped)

Thanks a lot! I do plan to go with the more compact interface, e.g. with "Spcl/Fire" on the left and "P100/A100" on the right.

Self-targeting moves don't use accuracy, so yes, those can be set to 0.

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Thanks a lot for this hack.

You're welcome!

One request, would it be possible to implement a Pikachu with both Fly and Surf?

I'd rather keep it simple. And a Flying+Surfing sprite would look too crowded.

When you sort the Pokedex on alphabetical order, Chikorita appears twice in the list

I had forgotten Magnezone in the alphabetical list. Fixed.

And something strange with the Pikachu sprites while in the box. It appears correctly at first, but when you check the stats and return, it reverts to the original sprite

This is unavoidable. The PC doesn't load the individual Pokémon's moveset until you press A to view its stats. Until then it uses whatever stats were last loaded, so if you view a Surfing Pikachu and go back, all Pikachu will look like that.

Also, some 'flying Pikachu' I catch have Surf instead of Fly. I don't know if that's intentional or a bug tho.

You're running into balloon Pikachu that know Surf? Sounds like a bug. Are you Surfing or in tall grass?

Years
    • Seen Mar 24, 2022
    Just a quick comment about a glitch I have just suffered (right near the end too!). Lawrence isn't appearing in Victory Road.

Actually it seemed like more than one glitch. Lawrence appeared in Cinnabar after I captured Moltres, saying "you caught all three legendary birds, meet me in victory road" - BEFORE I had caught articuno. I then went to seafoam and caught the icy bird, and Lawrence is nowhere to be found after I had caught all three.

Years
    • Seen Oct 10, 2016
    You're running into balloon Pikachu that know Surf? Sounds like a bug. Are you Surfing or in tall grass?
    Actually, my bad! I swear I thought I saw balloon Pikachus with Surf but I guess I wasn't looking right or it was the PC. Sorry!

Btw, where can you find TM64? In your guide it says it's in the Underground but I cannot find it

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Where is whirlpool? I already defeated Claire and now I can't progress because of the whirlpools in the Dragon's Den.

After you defeat Jasmine, the police unblock Route 42. You should have run into Lyra there, who gives you Whirlpool after you beat her. I think in 2.0.0 you could avoid her by going through Mt. Mortar instead of Surfing, but I fixed that in 2.0.1.

Lawrence appeared in Cinnabar after I captured Moltres, saying "you caught all three legendary birds, meet me in victory road" - BEFORE I had caught articuno. I then went to seafoam and caught the icy bird, and Lawrence is nowhere to be found after I had caught all three.

Hmm. Did you battle the Elite 4 again after reaching Kanto? Did you ever knock out one of the birds, and have to go back and rebattle it?

Btw, where can you find TM64? In your guide it says it's in the Underground but I cannot find it

It's in the Underground Path between Routes 5 and 6.

Years
    • Seen Mar 24, 2022
    Hmm. Did you battle the Elite 4 again after reaching Kanto? Did you ever knock out one of the birds, and have to go back and rebattle it?

Hmmm, I did fight the Elite Four again after catching all three birds (3 catches, no KOs), but before I looked for Lawrence in victory road. Have the legendary birds spawned again? Do I have to fight them again / catch them again?

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Hmmm, I did fight the Elite Four again after catching all three birds (3 catches, no KOs), but before I looked for Lawrence in victory road. Have the legendary birds spawned again? Do I have to fight them again / catch them again?

Yes. I got the respawn condition backwards in 2.0.1, so the birds respawn if you did catch them, but not if you didn't. Catch all three again and I think the event will work.

2.0.2 will fix it, released as soon as this new map is done.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2024
    First of all, congratulations on your excellent work!

Just a few things that I noticed that might have gotten fixed already:

1. Breeders in Route 34 and 35 can be battled numberless times.
    2. A guy in the Goldenrod Department Store incorrectly states that Slowbro evolves while holding an item (I'll get back to this).
    3. I felt completely cheated when I realized that Magby and Elekid evolve by leveling up, while Pichu, Munchlax and Togepi still need to be happy to evolve (I do realize that Magmar and Electabuzz can evolve but that's SO much later in the game that the new evolution mechanics feel pointless and frustrating). This realization was a bit upsetting for me since all the money and time I spent on them could've been done so on Eevee.
    4. Apostrophe + s are outside of the textbox border when Sailor Huey calls for a battle.
    5. The movesets of mons that evolve by either a stone or a held item (this will be related to point #2) are a bit... ridiculous. They take a lot flexibility away from the game -considering how early you can get these mons- when you have to level them up a Growlithe all the way up to their mid 40s/early 50s to get a decent moveset without having to resort to tutors (which, btw, requires either obscene amounts of grinding to Thief on Eevee/Meowth/Persian, or lots of time -and luck- to get Silver leaves).
    6. Wild mons that use Thief can perma-steal your items (thank goodness it was only an Everstone that a Farfetch'd got from me). Not sure if this is hardcoded or not but it could be VERY frustrating for other people.
    7. This is the biggie; the one that encouraged me to register to say all of this: I decided to get a Slowking that knows Calm Mind, so I raised a Slowpoke all the way up to level 41. I gave it a King's Rock and, when it finally reached level 42 it evolved! Sadly, it evolved into Slowbro (which I already own), which, contrary to what the Goldenrod guy said, doesn't evolve into Slowking. *SIGH*
    This is probably more of a rant than an actual issue, but I was not aware that the game will prioritize evolution by level-up over held-item. Is there any way for you to change that? If you can't may I suggest Slowpoke needing a Water Stone to evolve into Slowbro, not dissimilar to Poliwhirl/Poliwrath/Politoed?
    8. Does the Surfing Pikachu variation exist at all? I've captured, while surfing, a Pikachu that does know Surf but has a regular sprite. I have also captured a Flying Pikachu that has the appropriate sprite. On a related note, does Yellow's Pikachu's variation exist in the wild?

I haven't reached Mahogany yet, so I can't really say much else besides keep up the great work! :)

Cheers!

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    First of all, congratulations on your excellent work!

Thank you! :)

1. Breeders in Route 34 and 35 can be battled numberless times.

Yes, I copied that feature of Breeders from B/W.

2. A guy in the Goldenrod Department Store incorrectly states that Slowbro evolves while holding an item (I'll get back to this).
    7. This is the biggie; the one that encouraged me to register to say all of this: I decided to get a Slowking that knows Calm Mind, so I raised a Slowpoke all the way up to level 41. I gave it a King's Rock and, when it finally reached level 42 it evolved! Sadly, it evolved into Slowbro (which I already own), which, contrary to what the Goldenrod guy said, doesn't evolve into Slowking. *SIGH*
    This is probably more of a rant than an actual issue, but I was not aware that the game will prioritize evolution by level-up over held-item.

You're right, the King's Rock works below level 37, but past that the plain level-up method overrides it. This is definitely an actual issue, thanks. I've fixed it for 2.0.2.

4. Apostrophe + s are outside of the textbox border when Sailor Huey calls for a battle.

None of these lines are longer than 18 characters, given that "…" and "'s" and "'t" are single characters... Do you remember which line it was?

5. The movesets of mons that evolve by either a stone or a held item (this will be related to point #2) are a bit... ridiculous. They take a lot flexibility away from the game -considering how early you can get these mons- when you have to level them up a Growlithe all the way up to their mid 40s/early 50s to get a decent moveset without having to resort to tutors (which, btw, requires either obscene amounts of grinding to Thief on Eevee/Meowth/Persian, or lots of time -and luck- to get Silver leaves).

The movesets are closely based on the Gen VI ones, so I understand that it's difficult, but not more so than the official games. Stone evolutions tend to be powerful (look at Arcanine's 555 BST) and if you could evolve the right away without sacrificing their moveset, it would be too easy.

Trading Leaves to tutors was inspired by Shards, which you had to get from wild Pokémon in RSE by Diving. I did fix 2.0.1 so that 50% of wild Pokémon have their held item, not 20%.

6. Wild mons that use Thief can perma-steal your items (thank goodness it was only an Everstone that a Farfetch'd got from me). Not sure if this is hardcoded or not but it could be VERY frustrating for other people.

This a bug; I'll get around to fixing it. GSC dealt with it by not giving Thief to any NPCs or wild Pokémon, but now Thief is in some learnsets. (I guess the easy fix would be disabling the theft function for NPCs. I wanted enemy trainers to take advantage of Thief, but that would involve caching your team's held items somewhere, and it's easier to just disable for now.)

8. Does the Surfing Pikachu variation exist at all? I've captured, while surfing, a Pikachu that does know Surf but has a regular sprite. I have also captured a Flying Pikachu that has the appropriate sprite. On a related note, does Yellow's Pikachu's variation exist in the wild?

I've run into a bunch of Pikachu, and all the ones in the water have the surfing sprite and know Surf. I'm puzzled that the sprites for Fly and Yellow's Fly+Surf work for you, but not Surf alone.

I made Pikachu with Surf+Fly look like Yellow's Pikachu since that combo is exclusive to her. Some kind of balloon+surfboard hybrid in the wild would look too crowded.

FlameShot

Infinite Flames
    Years
  • The event doesn't work on me now. I already visited Route 42 but Lyra was not appearing. Maybe I should give up on this hack now since there is no way of getting Whirlpool.

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    The event doesn't work on me now. I already visited Route 42 but Lyra was not appearing. Maybe I should give up on this hack now since there is no way of getting Whirlpool.

Just to clarify, did you update to 2.0.1 after reaching Mahogany Town? Because I know the Lyra Whirlpool event was skippable in 2.0.0, but 2.0.1 should have fixed it.

If you want to continue instead of restarting, 01FF5ED8 is the cheat code for all Johto badges.

FlameShot

Infinite Flames
    Years
  • Just to clarify, did you update to 2.0.1 after reaching Mahogany Town? Because I know the Lyra Whirlpool event was skippable in 2.0.0, but 2.0.1 should have fixed it.

If you want to continue instead of restarting, 01FF5ED8 is the cheat code for all Johto badges.
    I have the latest update of the game and thanks for the code ,i'll try if it works because some codes doesn't work. :)
    Edit: MyOldBoy says that the cheat code is invalid. ;-;

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2024
    Thanks for the quick response! :)

Yes, I copied that feature of Breeders from B/W.
    Oh, right; my bad, I had no clue as I have not played any games other than RY, GSC and Liquid Crystal.

You're right, the King's Rock works below level 37, but past that the plain level-up method overrides it. This is definitely an actual issue, thanks. I've fixed it for 2.0.2.
    Whew, thank you so much. I was ready to part ways with that poor, overleveled Slowpoke...

None of these lines are longer than 18 characters, given that "…" and "'s" and "'t" are single characters... Do you remember which line it was?
    Sadly, I do not. I also just noticed that, when Huey is called and he reminds you of the pending rematch, an exclamation mark stays on the textbox board after he says "Glitter Lighthouse!".

The movesets are closely based on the Gen VI ones, so I understand that it's difficult, but not more so than the official games. Stone evolutions tend to be powerful (look at Arcanine's 555 BST) and if you could evolve the right away without sacrificing their moveset, it would be too easy.
    They are powerful, indeed. Most of them do just fine up to their mid 30s (particularly Growlithe and Murkrow), but Shellder, Jigglypuff and Exeggcute really, really struggle to keep up (the latter wouldn't as much if the omnipresent Bite+Pursuit Raticate wasn't so omnipresent).

Trading Leaves to tutors was inspired by Shards, which you had to get from wild Pokémon in RSE by Diving. I did fix 2.0.1 so that 50% of wild Pokémon have their held item, not 20%.
    Yeah that works great once you get Thief. I got lucky as I decided to breed that level 20 Eevee as soon as I got it, and once I picked it up it had gotten to level 36 (or 38?) and had learned the move on its own.

I've run into a bunch of Pikachu, and all the ones in the water have the surfing sprite and know Surf. I'm puzzled that the sprites for Fly and Yellow's Fly+Surf work for you, but not Surf alone.
    If this is of any help, I'm using My OldBoy (so I can play this wonderful hack on my free time).

Also, I wanted to say that changing some of the typings has been great (mainly because I did the same for a Crystal hack I was working on -until I stumbled upon this one, lol). Why not push it a bit further? For instance:
    ~ Grass/Dark VILEplume
    ~ Psychic/Dark Hypno
    ~ Bug/Dark Ariados
    ~ Rock/Grass Sudowoodo
    ~ Fire/Bug Slugma/Magcargo

Back