• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    I have the latest update of the game and thanks for the code ,i'll try if it works because some codes doesn't work. :)
    Edit: MyOldBoy says that the cheat code is invalid. ;-;

I meant, did you update from 2.0.0 to 2.0.1 after you had already reached Mahogany? Or did you update first, and then go across Route 42?

Try 91FF5ED8, then.

I've run into a bunch of Pikachu, and all the ones in the water have the surfing sprite and know Surf. I'm puzzled that the sprites for Fly and Yellow's Fly+Surf work for you, but not Surf alone.
    If this is of any help, I'm using My OldBoy (so I can play this wonderful hack on my free time).

Okay, apparently I tested the Surfing Pikachu sprite, then added Yellow's special sprite without retesting Surf. And of course that's what broke it. It's fixed now. Thanks. :)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2016
    The event doesn't work on me now. I already visited Route 42 but Lyra was not appearing. Maybe I should give up on this hack now since there is no way of getting Whirlpool.
    Two more ways that would allow you to continue. Shellder learns Whirpool at Lv 40. In case you haven't caught it already, you can find one on Whirl Islands (Ha! That won't help.) or fish one at Olivine Harbor or Cherrygrove Bay with the Good Rod. It'll be Lv 20 though, so you'll have to train it a bit. Or maybe you could try to get one from Wonder Trade. It seems you'll need to trade a Pokemon up to Lv 33 to have a chance to receive a Shellder.

Or you could use one of the following GameShark codes:

91FAEADC - Makes Whirpool the 1st move of the 1st Pokemon in your party.
    9101A6D8 - Gives HM06 to the TM/HM pocket in your bag.

I tested them, and they both work. I use VBA, however, and don't know how MyOldBoy works when entering codes, but I don't think they wouldn't work on it as well.

Now, reporting for some more fixes. Very minor thing, but the guy that gives you TM10 Hidden Power at Lake of Rage says both its power and type depend on the Pokemon using it, but now Hidden Power has a fixed base power, so I guess you should correct that.

While battling Clair, I noticed a flaw in the AI, in which she was constantly trying to inflict paralysis on my Electric type Pokemon despite Electrics being immune to it now. I don't know how simple it would be to prevent the AI to use innefective moves, but considering how you fixed the Baton Pass abuse I figure it should be doable.

As the Slowpoke evolution issue was reported, I decided to check if there were more victims of this bug. Turns out it happens to Eevee as well. When trying to evolve it to Leafeon/Glaceon at the proper locations, if Eevee has enough happiness it will evolve to Espeon/Umbreon instead. This isn't as bad as Slowpoke's case, since its possible to lower happiness, but Leafeon/Glaceon should have a priority over Espeon/Umbreon.

Lastly, I noticed some of the new music added - specifically, Yellow Forest and XY Gym Leader Battle (vs Valerie) - play at a lower volume than usual. You'll be able to notice it when the music is interrupted for a brief moment (when you get an item or level up, for exemple), as it resumes it will play at the regular volume. At first I thought maybe I was unhearing it, but it seems clear to me now after I could hear it from another music you added. It's completely harmless, I know, but it was kinda bugging me a bit.

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Alright, I fixed a certain annoying music bug, which means (a) Lugia's chamber has the proper soundtrack, and (b) the Surfing Pikachu theme works.

I plan to release 2.0.2 this weekend with some important bugfixes, like making legendaries respawn correctly. It'll also add the Route 35 Coast, but not yet any of the other maps I have planned for the open ocean (including the coastal cave).

kide, thanks for helping FlameShot. Not sure what the problem was, but I think if someone starts a new game with 2.0.1, they won't miss Lyra and Whirlpool.

Now, reporting for some more fixes. Very minor thing, but the guy that gives you TM10 Hidden Power at Lake of Rage says both its power and type depend on the Pokemon using it, but now Hidden Power has a fixed base power, so I guess you should correct that.

As the Slowpoke evolution issue was reported, I decided to check if there were more victims of this bug. Turns out it happens to Eevee as well. When trying to evolve it to Leafeon/Glaceon at the proper locations, if Eevee has enough happiness it will evolve to Espeon/Umbreon instead. This isn't as bad as Slowpoke's case, since its possible to lower happiness, but Leafeon/Glaceon should have a priority over Espeon/Umbreon.

Both fixed.

While battling Clair, I noticed a flaw in the AI, in which she was constantly trying to inflict paralysis on my Electric type Pokemon despite Electrics being immune to it now. I don't know how simple it would be to prevent the AI to use innefective moves, but considering how you fixed the Baton Pass abuse I figure it should be doable.

It's been added to the bugs list. I'll see about fixing it before 2.0.2.

Lastly, I noticed some of the new music added - specifically, Yellow Forest and XY Gym Leader Battle (vs Valerie) - play at a lower volume than usual. You'll be able to notice it when the music is interrupted for a brief moment (when you get an item or level up, for exemple), as it resumes it will play at the regular volume. At first I thought maybe I was unhearing it, but it seems clear to me now after I could hear it from another music you added. It's completely harmless, I know, but it was kinda bugging me a bit.

You're right, they're at a consistent volume now.

Years
  • Did you boost Pikachu's stats? I couldn't check properly its DVs(It had more than the max posible) and this surprised me. Does Raichu has better stats too? Or the updated(XY) rather?

Also, Am I unlucky or if you defeat a Pokemon with Thief you don't get the item? Because I've defeated like +20 Magnemites and I couldn't get any Metal Coat with Thief.

PS: So fun to use Thief on trainer battles, I've got a Charcoal and a King's rock and a Sitrus berry so far.

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Did you boost Pikachu's stats? I couldn't check properly its DVs(It had more than the max posible) and this surprised me. Does Raichu has better stats too? Or the updated(XY) rather?

Also, Am I unlucky or if you defeat a Pokemon with Thief you don't get the item? Because I've defeated like +20 Magnemites and I couldn't get any Metal Coat with Thief.

PS: So fun to use Thief on trainer battles, I've got a Charcoal and a King's rock and a Sitrus berry so far.

Referring to the FAQ, you can check base stats in data/base_stats. Pikachu and Raichu have both had slight boosts.

As for Thief, you're just not lucky. Metal Coat is Magnemite's second item, i.e. the rare one, so 5% carry it. Have your lead hold an Amulet Coin and it's 10%.

Years
  • While reading the FAQ I remembered something. My Houndoom got hit by Future sight. I don't know where it was but it surprised me.

Years
  • Like I guessed it. Does it just ignore typing resistances or hits neutral on eveything? And will you try to fix it? Because being 120 BP now could be a bit overpowered

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2024
    Bug or feature?

Eggs can be Wonder Traded away.
    Edit: I just traded a Noctowl for a Noctowl.

Last edited:
    Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Like I guessed it. Does it just ignore typing resistances or hits neutral on eveything? And will you try to fix it? Because being 120 BP now could be a bit overpowered

It's a typeless attack. I don't know if I'll change it, it's rarely used and the power is offset by its delay.

Bug or feature?

Eggs can be Wonder Traded away.
    Edit: I just traded a Noctowl for a Noctowl.

Feature, AFAIK that's how real Wonder Trade works. And yes, getting back your same Pokémon is rare but possible.

FlameShot

Infinite Flames
    Years
  • Two more ways that would allow you to continue. Shellder learns Whirpool at Lv 40. In case you haven't caught it already, you can find one on Whirl Islands (Ha! That won't help.) or fish one at Olivine Harbor or Cherrygrove Bay with the Good Rod. It'll be Lv 20 though, so you'll have to train it a bit. Or maybe you could try to get one from Wonder Trade. It seems you'll need to trade a Pokemon up to Lv 33 to have a chance to receive a Shellder.

Or you could use one of the following GameShark codes:

91FAEADC - Makes Whirpool the 1st move of the 1st Pokemon in your party.
    9101A6D8 - Gives HM06 to the TM/HM pocket in your bag.

I tested them, and they both work. I use VBA, however, and don't know how MyOldBoy works when entering codes, but I don't think they wouldn't work on it as well.

Thank you! :) I can finally play once again. Btw, Where can I find the Razor Claw? I've been wanting to evolve Sneasel to Weavile now.

darthbr

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    Im playing 1.1.2F i guess, if i update, i will lost my save???? cause im enjoyin a lot this game!!!!

A stupid question: when ver 3 comes out, i have to start everything again? =(

FIQ

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    In 6gen's Wonder Trade feature, you can get the same species as you are trading. I have experienced this myself. However, you aren't able to WT Eggs.

Imafroggy

King
    Years
  • Love the work you put in.
    One question, did you alter the headbutt Pokémon locations in any way?
    Heracross is still available in the same places as it was before right?

Last edited:

FIQ

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    I noticed this in the TODO:
    Pickup ability for Meowth, Teddiursa, and/or Phanpy

Have you considered a fully functional Ability system, or do you rather just want to special case those 3?

EDIT: I obviously can't read. Yes, you have considered it. Anyway, is it still something you want to implement? I'd find it pretty cool myself.

Also, something else:
    Sometimes wild Pokémon know an egg move

Maybe only if you use Sweet Scent? Then that move would actually have an use. Could also make it give "better" results in general -- for example, if Abilities were introduced like described above, give a mon's HA that way, or make it so that it is more likely to be Shiny.

Last edited:
    Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    In 6gen's Wonder Trade feature, you can get the same species as you are trading. I have experienced this myself. However, you aren't able to WT Eggs.

Oh, you're right. I've changed that now.

Im playing 1.1.2F i guess, if i update, i will lost my save???? cause im enjoyin a lot this game!!!!

A stupid question: when ver 3 comes out, i have to start everything again? =(

My plan is to make major versions incompatible. So you can't upgrade from 1.1.2 to 2.0.0, and you won't be able to upgrade from 2.0.0 to 3.0.0. You can upgrade from 2.0.0 to 2.0.1, and then to 2.0.2 when it comes out, and probably to 2.1 eventually as well.

One question, did you alter the headbutt Pokémon locations in any way?
    Heracross is still available in the same places as it was before right?

Yes it is. You can also trade Pinsirfor one in Pewter City.

Sometimes wild Pokémon know an egg move

Maybe only if you use Sweet Scent?

I got rid of Sweet Scent, but this would be a good incentive to use Sweet Honey (another planned feature which was cut from the original game).

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Version 2.1.0 is released! It fixes some important bugs and issues, like wild Pokémon stealing your held items with Thief or knocked-out legendary Pokémon failing to respawn. It also adds new features, including the Route 35 Coast connecting Goldenrod and Olivine City, and a fourth Pokémon stats page (ported from TPP Anniversary Crystal by FredrIQ).

This update is compatible with save files from 2.0.0 and 2.0.1! Just patch a fresh Crystal ROM to 2.1.0 and use it with your old save file.

Patches:

There are two patches, regular and "faithful". The faithful patch does not change any Pokémon types or base stats, or any move attributes. This will be more familiar, but can have some odd consequences, like a Ghost trainer using a Ninetales that lacks STAB on its Shadow Ball.

Patches should be applied to a Pokémon Crystal (UE) (1.0) ROM. The one I used has the MD5 hash 9f2922b235a5eeb78d65594e82ef5dde if you need to make sure your copy is correct.

The source code on GitHub has a readme and feature list with more details, an FAQ, and a guide to using the patch files.

Changelog:

(If you're new to Polished Crystal, ignore this and check out the better-organized feature list.)

• Add: Connect Goldenrod Harbor to Route 41 west and Olivine City north.
    • Add: Move stats show accuracy.
    • Add: Fourth stats page with caught data.
    • Add: Replace Poké Seer with Stats Judge.
    • Add: AI does not try to paralyze Electric types, or burn Fire types.
    • Add: Buy basic items in Yellow Forest gate.
    • Add: Yellow Surfing Pikachu music.
    • Add: Correct OT genders for Wonder Trade.
    • Add: Hurricane is 100% accurate in rain.
    • Add: Blizzard is 100% accurate in hail.
    • Add: Meowth+Persian can learn False Swipe.
    • Add: Shellder+Cloyster can learn Waterfall.
    • Add: Moomoo accepts Oran or Sitrus Berries (Sitrus heals +2).
    • Add: Buff Fire Spin and Whirlpool to 90% accuracy (non-Faithful).
    • Add: Name Cameron, Teala, and Felicity.
    • Edit: Some wild encounters and trainer rosters.
    • Edit: Berry locations.
    • Edit: Remove Cut tree blocking Celadon Gym.
    • Edit: Palmer's sprite.
    • Edit: Brighter purple for sprites.
    • Edit: Buff Ditto.
    • Fix: Can't Wonder Trade Eggs.
    • Fix: Can't receive same Pokémon in a Wonder Trade.
    • Fix: Thief permanently steals held items.
    • Fix: Make Route 24 Rocket Grunt mandatory to avoid sequence breaking.
    • Fix: Static Pokémon respawn if they're caught.
    • Fix: Lyra's catching tutorial breaks the map music.
    • Fix: Text overflow in Sandstorm TM house.
    • Fix: Waterfall HM item ball is blue.
    • Fix: Surfing Pikachu's picture.
    • Fix: Expert Belt → Wise Glasses.
    • Fix: No wild encounters in Cherrygrove Bay.
    • Fix: Slowking evolution check before Slowbro.
    • Fix: Leafeon/Glaceon evolution check before Espeon/Umbreon.
    • Fix: Crunch lowers Defense, not Special Defense.
    • Fix: Ice Shard's description overflows into Toxic's.
    • Fix: Hurricane can hit during Fly.
    • Fix: Toxic used by Poison-types can hit during Fly and Dig.
    • Fix: AI overuse of Future Sight.
    • Fix: Alphabetical Pokédex was missing Magnezone.
    • Fix: Fire Spin and Whirlpool have 35 power, 85% accuracy, and 15 PP.
    • Fix: Trapping moves do 1/8 damage each turn and last 4–5 turns.
    • Fix: Waterfall tile animation.
    • Fix: Whirl Islands Lugia music.
    • Fix: Hidden Power has fixed power now.
    • Fix: Consistent music volume for all tracks.
    • Fix: Remove GameBoy Printer references.

Years
    • Seen Feb 15, 2021
    (Sorry if my english is bad)

I play 2.1.0 and the Whirl Islands Lugia music not repeat after is ending.

Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2021
    Rangi,

Awesome work. This is hands down the best hack I've ever played. Incredibly nostalgic, thorough, and most importantly fun.

Couple more things I noticed playing the game: When trying to catch Mew or Celebi (or any pokemon with the move transform), if that pokemon uses transform in battle, regardless of what pokemon it transforms into, you receive a Ditto in your PC. I noticed this when I was battling Celebi. It transformed into the flying Pikachu from my team, I caught it, and when I went to get Celebi a Ditto had taken its place.

In regards to the battle tower, can you buff up the rewards? So far I've done four run throughs in a row without losing and have received three different kinds of mail and a couple of full heals. Can you give out better items like additional leftovers or a lucky egg to boost the exp received?

And lastly, banking off the lucky egg comment, the level curve associated with this game is incredibly smooth up until battling the elite four for the second time. After you complete the rematch, the next battle is Red, and then Green. Their pokemon's levels are way higher than what the level curve provides. The game naturally got my team to the lower to mid 80s in level, not nearly enough to battle Red or Green. Therefore, is there any way you can add more gameplay after beating the elite four for the second time? Maybe add another rocket dilemma, include the entire silph co lavender town run through with Giovanni? Aside from the obvious reason of never wanting the game to end, adding more battles/gameplay/a couple more events leading up to the Red and Green battles will help smooth over the end of the game. Because as of right now, the only way to compete with Red and Green is to complete the rematch of the elite four over and over again with amulet coin, then fly to goldenrod and buy rare candies until you can hold your own against them.

I know this is easier said than done so if that's way out of the question no worries! However, the end of the game gets quite repetitive.

Keep up the good work!

Back