• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Please note that users with less than 6 posts will have their threads/posts go to the approval queue if it has links or messages. This counts edits made to threads/posts after they were already approved and is intentional anti-spam behavior that is unfortunately necessary. Once you reach 6 posts, this will no longer occur.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Radical Red (VERSION 4.1 RELEASED! Gen 9 DLC Pokemon, Character Customization now available!)

Years
    • Seen May 26, 2024
    Well, I've considered playing this hack for a little bit, but after seeing the front page saying that it's still in a beta phase, I think I'll check and see where progress is at near the end of the year. I might even join the discord if someone there knows what's planned for the hack. Looking forward to it (even if it doesn't make it all the way)!

I would still recommend this as it is currently, the main game is done and to my knowledge it is post game and some new forms being worked on currently. In it's current state it Is still a very satisfying game, I've never seen another hack with this many features run this smoothly, I don't know if I've personally run into any bugs. The game is a decent challenge as well without being Kaizo level ridiculous.

Last edited:

Dekaylab8

I have Harm OCD...
    Years
    I would still recommend this as it is currently, the main game is done and to my knowledge it is post game and some new forms being worked on currently. In it's current state it Is still a very satisfying game, I've never seen another hack with this many features run this smoothly, I don't know if I've personally run into any bugs. The game is a decent challenge as well without being Kaito level ridiculous.

I'm considering playing Grape 1.6 (That's the game in my signature because TPIC took it down) and a different GBA game for the time being until around maybe late summer or early autumn.

I might play the game after those two even if the game isn't finished because I've heard of it being extremely popular due to it radical changes (hence the name) it brings to the table. I gave Prism a go and everyone here knows how special that hack is despite being unfinished (Lance even tells you to check the Discord for updates even though it rarely get any 😆)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I've said this, what, maybe 3 times now? I'm not going to make an all new team. That's a waste of time, effort, and sanity.

As far as I'm aware, my team is already the best that I'm capable of getting it right now at this moment. There is nothing out there that can help it. I've talked to all of the move tutors and all of this stuff, my team CANNOT beat this fight. I've gone through trial and error 15+ times and there's no scenario where I win unless I got a ton of crits.

There are more options besides:
    A) Keep smashing your exact same team against the same wall.
    B) Changing your team entirely.

So no need to be so Radical. You don't need to "change all your team", just think more about what's giving trouble in that specific battle and what can you do to fix it. Perhaps swapping one or two mons temporarily would do the trick. And improving your move sets, strategies, use of held items, etc. can also help. Your entire team can't possibly be useless against that trainer if you play your cards well.

Radical Red is not Kaizo, it's difficult but it balances that difficulty by giving players literally more tools than any other rom hack to build and improve your team and lots of options to customize the experience. You have minimal grinding so you don't even have to worry about IVs/EVs; you have Nature change, Ability change, free move relearner, even Egg move relearner at some point. You get most (if not all) items for competitive strategies before the E4. You can also enable Easy mode, which makes your Pokémon gain EVs while the AI doesn't. And you don't even have to worry about losing Focus Sashes and things like that because consumable held items are restored after battle.

It's actually one of the fairest Pokémon rom hacks (At least Default mode, Hardcore and Restricted are a different story) and also one of the less grindy thanks to its different customization settings. You know what's unfair in Pokémon? being able to win a battle just because you grinded 10 levels above your opponent, or because you can spam Revives and Full Restores while your opponent doesn't have that option. Unfairness works for both sides.

The game expects you to actually think your team and strategies. not just play autopilot.
    So you have an Alolan Dugtrio with its HA Sand Force? Well, that's basically no Ability since your team has no way of setting up Sandstorm (and even if it did, it would benefit Dugtrio and hurt the rest of the team). Its regular Tangling Hair would be way more useful in that case.
    And you have a Kingdra with Dragon Dance but using Special Attacks, and it's only physical attack is a move that forces Switching, therefore effectively resetting the Dragon Dance boost after one attack.

So your Pokémon clearly weren't the best they could be. There's allways room for improvement and there are more options besides changing your team entirely.

Last edited:

DJCherryTempo

The Reserved Observer
    Years
    I just read through how heated the topic was getting and thought 'Wow, so that's what I was like?'.

I used to be just like that person, but I managed to get over it. In fact, I'm basically at a point where I feel like I can take any Pokemon and make them viable.

Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    There is a way to use items in boss battle : Play on easy mode.

They even mention how easy mode is easier that casual mode and hardmode but still harder that games from the main franchise.

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2022
    this hack is very well done, but unfortunately it's another one of those difficulty hacks, you know, the ones where they give the "bosses" an unfair team of evolved pokemons, much stronger than anything you could possible have at the time, with perfect moves and stats, specially speed, so basically all of the are faster than your pokemons, creating something really unfair and mind numbing boring tbh

oh and all this shit is coupled with forced level caps, which is the dumbest idea people came up with for rom hacks and honestly i'm not sure why anyone would enjoy this "feature"

BUT the guy who made this is actually somewhat reasonable, so he made an easy mode which basically fixes all of this, so i leave this "warning" for anyone who wanna play a really good rom hack but has no patience or care at all for all this annoying evs and ivs and training bullshit

DJCherryTempo

The Reserved Observer
    Years
    One of my go to Late Game Pokemon has been Slaking cause of just how much of a beast it is. Careful Nature (more Special Defense, less Special Attack), EV trained for Special Defense and either HP or Physical Attack (HP for bulk, ATK for damage). Moveset of Bulk Up, Slack Off, Body Slam/Return, and the final spot being whatever you want. Give it the Leftovers to hold, and you've got something damn near immortal. Bulk Up to boost DEF and ATK, Slack Off to Heal, Body Slam for Paralysis chance/Return for raw damage, and the final spot being for whatever coverage you need.

Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    Why de docs says that illuminate was deleted but my Chinchou says it have it and it raises accuracy? Im playing in 2.3.

Because the ability was buffed but then it was removed in 2.3a (Some changes didn't occur yet so check the changelog part of the docs to see what changes didn't occured until 2.3a)

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    this hack is very well done, but unfortunately it's another one of those difficulty hacks, you know, the ones where they give the "bosses" an unfair team of evolved pokemons, much stronger than anything you could possible have at the time, with perfect moves and stats, specially speed, so basically all of the are faster than your pokemons, creating something really unfair and mind numbing boring tbh

Falkner has: Rufflet, Emolga, and Corvisquire. Brock has: Geodude, Vulpix, Onix, and Archen. The game doesn't give bosses fully evolved teams, nor full six teams, right away.

There are difficulty rom hacks that, like you say, put you against bosses with perfect IVs and EVs, and your only way to catch up is by doing a ton of grinding, breeding, and EV training, which a lot of us indeed do not like.

But as it has been mentioned, Radical Red has an option called Minimal Grinding mode, which gives every Pokémon in the game perfect IVs and No EVs, so your level 50 Tauros and any opponent's level 50 Tauros will have the same Speed (since only the base stat + the fixed 31 IV matters), unless either of them have a nature that boosts Speed, in which case, you can change natures in any Pokémon center if you want.

Years
    • Seen May 2, 2024
    Can we get the toxitricite in minimal grind mode? I was very excited to use him, and now i'm thinking that I'll have to start all over again. =/

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2024
    Can we get the toxitricite in minimal grind mode? I was very excited to use him, and now i'm thinking that I'll have to start all over again. =/

Yes you can. You need to show a Pokemon with a stat that is higher than 125.

Years

Show a mon with a base Speed stat higher than, or equal to, 125. Mons like Weavile, Jolteon, Crobat, Aerodactyl, Dragapult, Accelgor, etc. will do the trick. For another alternatives, go to this site and sort all mons, with Speed descending: https://dex.radicalred.net/pokemon/

Years
    • Seen Dec 13, 2023
    I'm trying to unlock the game corner so I can get my next member of my team (Beldum), but it's still closed. I beat Lt. Surge but I went through rock tunnel, lavender town, saffron city, and celadon city before beating him. The game corner is still locked and I wanna know if there's any key plot things I need to do that unlocks the game corner. Or if theres anything I may have missed cause I may have progressed too far into the game and I would then have to start over (Which I really hope isnt the case). To anybody who has beaten to 2.3v update of radical red, please help cause I'm worried I may have glitched the game and have to start over. Is there anything I need to do in Lavender town or Celadon to unlock the game corner, or do I need to start over?

Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2022
    Please fix the link local/remote DOUBLE BATTLE. Me and my friends want to play double battle but only one pokemon come out when we battle each other.

Korago

Dave!Yognaught
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2024
    Pokémon Radical Red (VERSION 4.1 RELEASED! Gen 9 DLC Pokemon, Character Customization now available!)

Really enjoyed this romhack. My only critique is that I wish there was a way to disable double battles entirely as they just feel super gimicky.

Years
    • Seen Dec 7, 2023
    Pretty cool that this has so much content and so many quality of life changes. But even on easy mode at the level cap of 27, misty is two shotting all my pokemon with just regular non-supper effective attacks, and all my super effective moves only do like 1/5th of a bar. Seems like all this does is make it so you have to grind EVs just to do the normal damage you would be doing in other games. Disappointing. Even on easy + minimal grinding the enemy stats are still unnaturally high.

Last edited:

DJCherryTempo

The Reserved Observer
    Years
    Pretty cool that this has so much content and so many quality of life changes. But even on easy mode at the level cap of 27, misty is two shotting all my pokemon with just regular non-supper effective attacks, and all my super effective moves only do like 1/5th of a bar. Seems like all this does is make it so you have to grind EVs just to do the normal damage you would be doing in other games. Disappointing. Even on easy + minimal grinding the enemy stats are still unnaturally high.

Get a Lotad with Giga Drain via DexNav. Level it to max, evolve it to Ludicolo. There- Now you have a Pokemon that can not only wall Misty's entire team, but can damn near Solo her if you do things just right.

Years
    • Seen Dec 7, 2023
    Hey thanks for the advice DJCherryTempo, but i just decided to play the rom hacks the author suggested in viridian city(or wherever it was) I'm pretty new to rom hacks, just started like a couple of weeks ago. So the only reason why this one caught my eye is because of all the stuff you can do like changing your pokemon's nature and having so many things like that, but it just seems like it's maybe not for everyone.

Back