• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Radical Red (VERSION 4.1 RELEASED! Gen 9 DLC Pokemon, Character Customization now available!)

Years

Join the Discord server for updates, bug reports, discussion, and more!

Intro

I've been playing Pokémon ROM hacks since I was a kid, starting with Quartz, Ruby Destiny Reign of Legends, and Shiny Gold, all of which helped spiral my obsession, making me a long-time lurker in the community. Although I have made attempts to make one myself, I simply lacked the knowledge or dedication to make anything happen. Now, around 10-12 years later, seeing how far ROM hacking has advanced and with more confidence in my skills, I've decided to revisit developing my own ROM hack.

Fire Red enhancement hacks are definitely a dime a dozen these days, so you're probably wondering what this hack has to offer. I personally enjoy difficulty hacks the most, which is why I consider ROM hacks like Clover and Vega to be the two best ones out there.

This hack is at its core a difficulty hack, but with massive additional features added to help you navigate through this game's difficulty.
If I had to draw a comparison it'd be quite similar to Drayano60's enhancement hacks, which provide access to nearly all the Pokemon while also adding relevant buffs to make all sorts of different Pokémon and playstyles viable, but with an insane amount of quality of life features added that also make many gruesome tasks far less tedious.

This is a joint project with me and a friend koala4; although I've handled pretty much everything on the technical side he's assisted me immensely in balancing, giving suggestions, doing the wild Pokemon locations for the most part, testing, and more.

Features
This hack utilizes the Complete FireRed Upgrade engine (!!!!) and Dynamic Pokemon Expansion built by Skeli789, Ghoulslash, and others. It's responsible for most of the significant features in the hack; I'll list the important ones below.

Provided by CFRU and DPE
Spoiler:

Additional Features
Do keep in mind many of these are also provided by CFRU.
Spoiler:

Quality of Life changes
Spoiler:

Screenshots (some screenshots may be outdated...)
gio.png
test_3-0.png
test2.png
lab.png
test-40.png
gamecorner.png
Radical_Red_2.1_1602962574737.png
test-41.png
RR_test_-_10-11_009.png
RR_test_-_10-11_010.png
shards.png
AdPp5WZ.png
misty.png
rowlet.png
test-13.png
sabrina.png
simisage.png
RR_test_-_10-11_005.png
RR_test_-_10-11_001.png
hail.png
delibird.png
blazingsoul.png
delcatty.png
venoshock.png
kingler.png
test-17.png
raid.png
RR_test_-_10-11_007.png
RR_test_-_10-11_002.png
test-11.png
RR_test_-_10-11_006.png

MindGoblin.png

GIFs:
cramorant.gif
cramorant2.gif
poltergeist.gif
newqol.gif
metainfo.gif
garb.gif
20220707_011523.gif
IMMERSION.gif

Download Release Version 4.0
DOWNLOAD/PATCH INSTRUCTIONS:

You can easily patch Radical Red using our online patcher which Karthik has provided (original patcher from here) . Simply supply a 1636 Pokemon Fire Red Squirrels ROM and choose a version to receive a patched Radical Red ROM. If you don't see 4.1 on the Radical Red patcher you probably need to clear your browser cache.

Other patching resources if the above option does not work:
Spoiler:

After patching, you should have a .gba file that you can open with an emulator to play. You can play on mGBA or VBA if you are on Windows, openEmu if you are on Mac, myBoy if you're on Android, and gba4IOS if you are on iOS. I'm not too familiar with getting this to work on real hardware (although it IS compatible with real hardware) so you'd have to look at other resources to get that set up.

This is playable up until the first E4 challenge, along with some post-game events. Please do look at the known bugs before playing! Anything from 2.0 forward is compatible with any foreseeable future releases
Please keep in mind this game is still in Beta, post-game, more content and bug fixes are planned in the future

A little guide on the difficulty options..

Spoiler:

Changelogs
Changelog up to 3.1
Known Bugs
THIS GAME DOES NOT WORK WITH ECLIPSE.
Incompatible with PizzaBoy, Eclipse, Twilight Menu. Tested to perform fine on: mGBA, VBA, OpenEmu, myBoy, JohnGBA
PLEASE DO NOT REPORT BUGS IF YOU USED CHEATS.
This should be self explanatory, but... using cheats will impact your games in many ways and will lead to bugs that would not have happened otherwise.

Radical Red Showdown Server
Want to fight against others in a Radical Red environment? Now you can with the RR Showdown Server!
Spoiler:

Hall of Fame
Version 2

Spoiler:

Version 1
Spoiler:

Credits
Spoiler:

FAQ
Spoiler:

Features I'd Like to Add in the Future:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Join the Discord server for updates, bug reports, discussion, and more!
Subreddit
Docs to view Evolutionary Changes, Buffs/Nerfs, Pokemon locations, and more!
Radical Red Pokedex, includes stats, learnsets, evolution method, held items, and more!

Last edited:
Years
Oh man, this is sweet. I don't think I've played a hack that uses CFRU, so I'm interested how it plays out. Congrats on the hack.

Thanks a lot for the kind words and your interest :) Some features I've added in the past 2 days while the thread was getting approved:
- Soft level cap based on the next boss battle, similar to Pokemon Clover
- An ability swapper along with an option to swap to a Pokemon's Hidden Ability for a specific item in Saffron.

Last edited:

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
Years
I absolutely love what you've done, I've been meaning to revisit Fire Red again, and your hack seems like a perfect reason to wait a bit. I do have a small suggestion though, i think it would be dope if you could change the players in battle back sprite because it sort of clashes next to the ORAS Sprite if Brendan and the Team Rocket admins. Even a change to the main player's Overworld sprite would be dope. Regardless, eagerly waiting on a release!

Years
Reminds me quite a bit of Nameless FireRed which is one of my favorite hacks in general. I look forward to seeing what's in store here once it's released.

I'm humbled by your comparison, although I don't think my hack has nearly the same amount of polish. But, I do think it has lots to offer in its own right :)

I absolutely love what you've done, I've been meaning to revisit Fire Red again, and your hack seems like a perfect reason to wait a bit. I do have a small suggestion though, i think it would be dope if you could change the players in battle back sprite because it sort of clashes next to the ORAS Sprite if Brendan and the Team Rocket admins. Even a change to the main player's Overworld sprite would be dope. Regardless, eagerly waiting on a release!

I absolutely agree with your suggestion but to be frank anything related to graphical insertion is not my forte(hence why new item images are something I've put off til the end)... to elaborate on that I'm a bit of a novice hacker(learning things within the past two months in quarantine) although I do have a CS background. The Brendan backsprite isn't even inserted by me, it's another neat option provided by the almighty CFRU. It's definitely something I'll keep in mind for future releases, but it won't be present for the first release. And I guess if that bothers you, I'll regretfully note that the Johto Gym leaders won't have their OW sprites in the first release.

Last edited:

ShinyVolcanion_

VibeCheck
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 11, 2021
This looks really good
Better than a lot of ROM hacks ive seen
Cant wait for release

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
There are a million of these type of hacks but this one looks very impressive. I can't wait to play this one.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen today
Since you've made Joltik evolve earlier, why not do the same for the likes of Deino, Larvesta, Rufflet, Vullaby, and Mienfoo?

Years
Since you've made Joltik evolve earlier, why not do the same for the likes of Deino, Larvesta, Rufflet, Vullaby, and Mienfoo?
i specifically did joltik since it's complete poop and you get it early on in viridian forest, I considered doing the rest of the Gen 5 cast that evolve really late for whatever silly reason but haven't chosen to do so yet since you obtain most of them later on in the game anyway. I'll reconsider this request, though, so thank you for the suggestion

This looks really good
Better than a lot of ROM hacks ive seen
Cant wait for release

There are a million of these type of hacks but this one looks very impressive. I can't wait to play this one.

Thanks y'all!

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen today
Regarding Dewpider going from level 22 to level 23 upon evolution, you've probably given Araquanid a lower experience growth rate. All Pokemon in the same evolutionary line need to have the same experience growth rate (1,000,000 points for Dewpider and Araquanid), otherwise you get level jumping issues on evolution.

Years
Regarding Dewpider going from level 22 to level 23 upon evolution, you've probably given Araquanid a lower experience growth rate. All Pokemon in the same evolutionary line need to have the same experience growth rate (1,000,000 points for Dewpider and Araquanid), otherwise you get level jumping issues on evolution.

we went back and realized the evolution was working fine haha, thank you for your input though!

Will this on real hardware so it can be played on a DS/3DS?

I don't think the CFRU upgrade is keen on being played on a DS/3DS. Furthermore, this has only been tested on VisualboyAdvance-M, so I'm going to say probably not. Sorry about that!

EDIT: The game has since been revamped so that it is compatible with any emulator so please disregard this answer

Last edited:
Years
Been checking this very frequently. Honestly so hyped to give this an actual spin!

Hey, I appreciate your excitement! I originally wanted to release it this week, but I've realized there are a lot more loose ends than I originally realized(along with new things I wanted to add). I also want this to be tested thoroughly before a release; first impressions obviously make a big impact. It's close, but it'll be a little while longer.

Back