• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Radical Red (VERSION 4.1 RELEASED! Gen 9 DLC Pokemon, Character Customization now available!)

Days
  • Seen Mar 29, 2024
Goodmorning everyone, I' Gilberto, nice to meet you all.
Is possible getting the download of the latest version of Pokémon Radical Red 4.1?

Days
  • Seen Mar 29, 2024
so my menus all just keep rapidly scrolling everywhere. in the bag, it scrolls automatically all the way back up. in my pokemons screen, it rapidly twitches between the last pokemon in my party and the cancel button. this is genuinely unplayable and i've not a clue why it's happening aside from maybe a controller insert

Days
  • Seen Mar 28, 2024

Join the Discord server for updates, bug reports, discussion, and more!

Intro

I've been playing Pokémon ROM hacks since I was a kid, starting with Quartz, Ruby Destiny Reign of Legends, and Shiny Gold, all of which helped spiral my obsession, making me a long-time lurker in the community. Although I have made attempts to make one myself, I simply lacked the knowledge or dedication to make anything happen. Now, around 10-12 years later, seeing how far ROM hacking has advanced and with more confidence in my skills, I've decided to revisit developing my own ROM hack.

Fire Red enhancement hacks are definitely a dime a dozen these days, so you're probably wondering what this hack has to offer. I personally enjoy difficulty hacks the most, which is why I consider ROM hacks like Clover and Vega to be the two best ones out there.

This hack is at its core a difficulty hack, but with massive additional features added to help you navigate through this game's difficulty.
If I had to draw a comparison it'd be quite similar to Drayano60's enhancement hacks, which provide access to nearly all the Pokemon while also adding relevant buffs to make all sorts of different Pokémon and playstyles viable, but with an insane amount of quality of life features added that also make many gruesome tasks far less tedious.

This is a joint project with me and a friend koala4; although I've handled pretty much everything on the technical side he's assisted me immensely in balancing, giving suggestions, doing the wild Pokemon locations for the most part, testing, and more.

Features
This hack utilizes the Complete FireRed Upgrade engine (!!!!) and Dynamic Pokemon Expansion built by Skeli789, Ghoulslash, and others. It's responsible for most of the significant features in the hack; I'll list the important ones below.

Provided by CFRU and DPE
Spoiler:

Additional Features
Do keep in mind many of these are also provided by CFRU.
Spoiler:

Quality of Life changes
Spoiler:

Screenshots (some screenshots may be outdated...)
gio.png
test_3-0.png
test2.png
lab.png
test-40.png
gamecorner.png
Radical_Red_2.1_1602962574737.png
test-41.png
RR_test_-_10-11_009.png
RR_test_-_10-11_010.png
shards.png
AdPp5WZ.png
misty.png
rowlet.png
test-13.png
sabrina.png
simisage.png
RR_test_-_10-11_005.png
RR_test_-_10-11_001.png
hail.png
delibird.png
blazingsoul.png
delcatty.png
venoshock.png
kingler.png
test-17.png
raid.png
RR_test_-_10-11_007.png
RR_test_-_10-11_002.png
test-11.png
RR_test_-_10-11_006.png

MindGoblin.png

GIFs:
cramorant.gif
cramorant2.gif
poltergeist.gif
newqol.gif
metainfo.gif
garb.gif
20220707_011523.gif
IMMERSION.gif

Download Release Version 4.0
DOWNLOAD/PATCH INSTRUCTIONS:

You can easily patch Radical Red using our online patcher which Karthik has provided (original patcher from here) . Simply supply a 1636 Pokemon Fire Red Squirrels ROM and choose a version to receive a patched Radical Red ROM. If you don't see 4.1 on the Radical Red patcher you probably need to clear your browser cache.

Other patching resources if the above option does not work:
Spoiler:

After patching, you should have a .gba file that you can open with an emulator to play. You can play on mGBA or VBA if you are on Windows, openEmu if you are on Mac, myBoy if you're on Android, and gba4IOS if you are on iOS. I'm not too familiar with getting this to work on real hardware (although it IS compatible with real hardware) so you'd have to look at other resources to get that set up.

This is playable up until the first E4 challenge, along with some post-game events. Please do look at the known bugs before playing! Anything from 2.0 forward is compatible with any foreseeable future releases
Please keep in mind this game is still in Beta, post-game, more content and bug fixes are planned in the future

A little guide on the difficulty options..

Spoiler:

Changelogs
Changelog up to 3.1
Known Bugs
THIS GAME DOES NOT WORK WITH ECLIPSE.
Incompatible with PizzaBoy, Eclipse, Twilight Menu. Tested to perform fine on: mGBA, VBA, OpenEmu, myBoy, JohnGBA
PLEASE DO NOT REPORT BUGS IF YOU USED CHEATS.
This should be self explanatory, but... using cheats will impact your games in many ways and will lead to bugs that would not have happened otherwise.

Radical Red Showdown Server
Want to fight against others in a Radical Red environment? Now you can with the RR Showdown Server!
Spoiler:

Hall of Fame
Version 2

Spoiler:

Version 1
Spoiler:

Credits
Spoiler:

FAQ
Spoiler:

Features I'd Like to Add in the Future:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Join the Discord server for updates, bug reports, discussion, and more!
Subreddit
Docs to view Evolutionary Changes, Buffs/Nerfs, Pokemon locations, and more!
Radical Red Pokedex, includes stats, learnsets, evolution method, held items, and more!
Man this is not a dificulty hack its just criminaly unfair

Days
  • Seen Apr 11, 2024
Replaying for 4.1 update, kinda feel refreshed, but this time im cheezing with ez mode..
well if only fire red had that animated sprite like Emerald has.. this Pokehack will perfect...
and thx for the selectible player btw

Days
  • Seen yesterday
Hello, been playing the game since the first few updates. I returned for the 4.1 update and it's been good fun so far. I would love to engage with the community more, but a few months ago I as banned off the discord because of a vietnamese crystal reference. Would love to somehow appeal my ban.

(Sorry if this isn't the right place to talk about Discord btw)

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Apr 9, 2024
Hi I can't seem to find the paldean tauros in the safari zone through dexnav even though the docs said it can be found there. can someone help me figure this out?

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen today
Hi I can't seem to find the paldean tauros in the safari zone through dexnav even though the docs said it can be found there. can someone help me figure this out?

It's there, I think the dexnav doesn't show it for some reason (the only instance of this I've seen in the game)
Managed to catch all forms of it yesterday, so they are all there, just use normal encounters to find and catch them

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen today
1.gif
I find there are some error in some shiny pokemon display,hope to fix it😺

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 14, 2024
Why exactly does the game have an anti-cheat AI? Like you have documentation online. why make it useless? Its not as if the game would be easy without it. Koga is a menace already, perma tailwind and psychic terrain is already insane. But to add the fact that he's gonna use expanding force on my ceruledge switch in when i had a dark type out is insane. How am I ever supposed to play around that? I'm not saying that koga is unbeatable. I have beaten him before. But at some point, a game just becomes rediculous.

Days
  • Seen yesterday
I've just registered because of this hack, I really wanted to say thank you! I came upon Radical Red accidentally, I wanted to return to Pokemon nuzlockes and rom hacks after playing other videogames... and man, what a treat. I've been playing Pokemon since it came out, always loved playing the competitive, and let me tell you that this is some of the most fun I've had playing Pokemon since my childhood days at least. Greatest rom hack I've ever played, great replayability, awesome quality-of-life features... Thanks a lot man, really. Great, great work, lots of fun, and I'm not even nuzlocking it yet (which promises to be a titanic task, but even the normal game is great fun as it is!)

Days
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
Is there any way to turn on/off the Minimal Grinding Mode? I started on it to get to know the game better, but now I want to play it with EV's and stuff without starting all over...
Great hack tho!

Days
  • Seen yesterday
Btw, how can I change a couple of Pokemon sprites in Radical Red? The usual way I used for other rom hacks doesn't work, I guess because of the CFRU thing? Don't get me wrong, most of them are great as they are, but I'd really love to change a couple of sprites of some favorite Pokemon (just personal taste) if it's possible at all, I'm really into sprites when it comes to using Pokémon 😅 Thank you very much in advance

Years
"As long as you bring the correct pokemon with the right nature and right EV/IV spread"

Yeah that's exactly what's wrong with this romhack and that's what I pointed out in my comment. The game forces you to make specialized teams to defeat certain bosses and that completely goes against the spirit of Pokemon as a whole. The game literally teaches you to try to win with your favorites, which I have desperately been attempting to until I realized I literally can't no matter what. You're insane if you think the majority of people actually want to waste their time and sanity making specialized teams.
Okay, but then how did I beat the game with this team? : Pidgoet, Dubwool, Luxray, Hatterene, Breloom, Golurk + backups Alolan Sandslash, Ariados, and Vikavolt. Like is that an unbeatable team? Did I not win with my favorites?
It's shocking how much people are just so unaware that they're wrong. It's not a "me" problem, it's a game problem and nothing more. It is objectively the game's fault that my team is unable to get passed this.
My bro. LOLOLOLOL. This can't be real. Yes, it is probably a "you" problem. People are telling you they won with their favorites, and then you are calling them wrong, lol. By the way, learn what "objective" means. You are completely and 100% subjective in this comment chain. You are not objective at all. If you don't like the game, that's fine, but others are telling you : Hey bro, I won with my favorites....so you're wrong in my subjective case. Much like you, we are subjective, but also..we won with our favorites. You didn't. It is probably a "you" problem, lol.

Back