• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emerald hack: Pokemon Emerald: Johto Edition (Beta v2, all gyms and E4 playable)

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen today

Pokemon Emerald: Johto Edition

Screenshot 2024-04-14 at 18.30.42.png

📖 What is this hack?

This is an Emerald rom hack, where the original game's Pokemon have been replaced with those from the Johto pokedex (with some modifications). The goal is to create a refreshed experience compared to the original Emerald game, while keeping the core experience of a mainline Gen 3 game. Kind of like a randomiser, but a little bit more thoughtful and cohesive.

This is not a difficulty hack. I have tried to keep the difficulty curve true to the original games. Due to the increased movepools and power creep of more recent generations, I have erred towards making bosses' parties and movepools better in order to maintain the original difficulty, but ultimately it's still a Pokemon game; it's not gonna be too hard.

I'm looking for feedback before polishing the game up and releasing, so if the above sounds like fun, have a go and drop your feedback in the thread :)

💫 Changes from the original game

The Hoenn Pokedex has been replaced by the Johto Pokedex. All Pokemon from the first 252 (i.e. Kanto to Johto, Bulbasaur to Celebi) are be obtainable aside from Lugia, Ho-Oh, Mewtwo, Mew, and the regional legendary trios. Later generation evolutions are also available (e.g. Leafeon, Magnezone, Kleavor, etc).

Pokemon have been placed in habitats that make sense both flavour-wise and difficulty-wise. Trainer battles have also been updated to use Pokemon from Johto and Kanto. I have also tried to highlight and give players a chance to use Pokemon that often aren't easily available in-game, and demote some Pokemon that are very common in other games. However, my first priority was always putting Pokemon into locations that made sense.

Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, and the Regi-trio retain their place within the story (in the place of Lugia, Ho-Oh, Mewtwo, Mew, and the regional legendary trios).

Regional formes are available in the post-game.

✨ Features

• Full Pokemon replacement, with wild encounters and trainer battles updated
  • Full Day/Night system. Overworld visible day and night, with different encounters in each.
This hack is based on the pokeemerald-expansion, and this hacks includes the features provided with this base. I have kept the QoL features and updates (e.g. evolution methods) as they are implemented there, for the sake of consistency. See the README on Github for the full list, which includes:
  • Physical/Special split
  • Fairy type
  • Updated damage calculations
  • HGSS-style Pokedex
  • Nature colors
  • Running indoors
  • Reusable TMs
  • ...and more
Many thanks to pret and everyone at RHH - working with this project was a dream!

While the updated battle engine has support for battle gimmicks (Mega-Evolution, Z-moves, Dynamax), these aren't available within the game.

📸 Screenshots

Screenshot 2024-04-14 at 18.35.07.pngScreenshot 2024-04-30 at 00.15.27.pngScreenshot 2024-04-29 at 23.53.32.png
Screenshot 2024-04-29 at 23.54.28.pngScreenshot 2024-04-13 at 19.09.20.pngScreenshot 2024-04-13 at 19.15.41.png
Screenshot 2024-04-13 at 19.22.09.pngScreenshot 2024-04-29 at 23.52.50.png
screenshot-2024-04-13-at-19-27-32-png.158043

💚 Credits

• pret, without whom this wouldn't be possible
  • RHH contributors, without whom this simple project would have felt impossibly hard
  • Xhyzi, whose day-night overworld effect I adapted in this hack
  • Lunos, whose contributions on this forum were invaluable many times
And, of course, thanks to anyone here taking an interest - this project is for you! :)

🐛 Bugs and known issues

• Overworld still shows some Hoenn Pokemon
  • Some incorrect highlighting in the overworld at night
  • Some trainer intro text references Hoenn Pokemon
  • Nighttime effects don't apply to the cable car cut-scene
Please let me know if (when!) you find any more!

🦔 Changelog

• Beta v3 (current): Update HM move effects, updated Pokemon overworld sprites
  • Beta v2: Increased availability of evolution items, new title screen
  • Beta v1: Initial release with Johto Pokemon

👾 Download

Apply the patch to "Trashman"

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-13 at 19.27.32.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-13 at 19.27.32.png
    42.5 KB · Views: 357
  • Screenshot 2024-04-13 at 19.10.14.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-13 at 19.10.14.png
    41.5 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot 2024-04-14 at 18.30.42.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-14 at 18.30.42.png
    52.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen today
do you patch the game with Trashman? cause I didn't get the logo for the Johto, it's just the normal Emerald one

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen today
do you patch the game with Trashman? cause I didn't get the logo for the Johto, it's just the normal Emerald one
Hey, sorry - yes, that's expected. I haven't updated the patch for download to include the new title screen.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen today
I've updated the OP with an updated download link, including the new title screen, and greater evolution item availability!

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen today
Can you change your Pokemon's IV's in this hack?
No - I don't intend to depart too far from the Gen 3 experience, and this isn't a difficulty hack, so that shouldn't be necessary. I would consider it for the post-game, if it were easy to implement.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen today
Updated to Beta v3, with new features:
  • Enabled decapitalization
  • Updated some overworld sprites
    • Vigoroth movers are now Machoke movers
    • The Sentret attacking Birch now matches in the overworld
    • Briney's Wingull is now a Pidgey
  • Made HM moves usable
    • For me, having to fit HM moves into your party is a fundamental part of the Gen 3 games. Of course, having to fit Flash or Rock Smash into a moveset can be pretty tedious. To that end, I have attempted to ease the burden and find a balance by making the HM moves somewhat usable in battle:
    • Cut is now a 40bp, 95acc Bug move that lowers opponent defence
    • Flash is now a Fairy type Mirror-shot (65bp, 85acc, 50% chance to lower opponent accuracy)
    • Rock Smash is now a 40bp, 95acc Fighting move that lowers opponent defence
    • Strength is now a Normal type Power-up Punch (40bp, raises attack)
    • Fly, Surf, Waterfall are unchanged
    • Dive is currently unchanged, but I am interested in how it might be differentiated from Waterfall - drop a reply if you have any ideas!
  • TMs are now re-usable
    • Unlike HMs, this never felt like a part of the Gen 3 experience that had interesting or rewarding trade-offs to me

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen today
Dive is currently unchanged, but I am interested in how it might be differentiated from Waterfall - drop a reply if you have any ideas!
Make Dive be similar in power to Dig and Fly, and Waterfall have its flinch chance. Sounds different enough to me.
Strength didn't need to be changed in my opinion but it seems cooler now

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen today
Strength didn't need to be changed in my opinion but it seems cooler now
Thanks - it's not essential, but 80bp Strength more or less redundant when every mon can learn Frustration/Return for more power. This seemed like a useful move without being OP.

Make Dive be similar in power to Dig and Fly, and Waterfall have its flinch chance. Sounds different enough to me.
Thanks - this is probably what I'll do, but having 2 physical water moves with a similar bp could be a little restrictive (especially with Surf potentially going on the same mon!)

Back