• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emerald hack: Pokemon Emerald: Johto Edition (Beta v2, all gyms and E4 playable)

Years
    • Seen today

Pokemon Emerald: Johto Edition

Screenshot 2024-04-14 at 18.30.42.png

📖 What is this hack?

This is an Emerald rom hack, where the original game's Pokemon have been replaced with those from the Johto pokedex (with some modifications). The goal is to create a refreshed experience compared to the original Emerald game, while keeping the core experience of a mainline Gen 3 game. Kind of like a randomiser, but a little bit more thoughtful and cohesive.

This is not a difficulty hack. I have tried to keep the difficulty curve true to the original games. Due to the increased movepools and power creep of more recent generations, I have erred towards making bosses' parties and movepools better in order to maintain the original difficulty, but ultimately it's still a Pokemon game; it's not gonna be too hard.

I'm looking for feedback before polishing the game up and releasing, so if the above sounds like fun, have a go and drop your feedback in the thread :)

💫 Changes from the original game

The Hoenn Pokedex has been replaced by the Johto Pokedex. All Pokemon from the first 252 (i.e. Kanto to Johto, Bulbasaur to Celebi) are be obtainable aside from Lugia, Ho-Oh, Mewtwo, Mew, and the regional legendary trios. Later generation evolutions are also available (e.g. Leafeon, Magnezone, Kleavor, etc).

Pokemon have been placed in habitats that make sense both flavour-wise and difficulty-wise. Trainer battles have also been updated to use Pokemon from Johto and Kanto. I have also tried to highlight and give players a chance to use Pokemon that often aren't easily available in-game, and demote some Pokemon that are very common in other games. However, my first priority was always putting Pokemon into locations that made sense.

Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, and the Regi-trio retain their place within the story (in the place of Lugia, Ho-Oh, Mewtwo, Mew, and the regional legendary trios).

Regional formes are available in the post-game.

✨ Features

• Full Pokemon replacement, with wild encounters and trainer battles updated
    • Full Day/Night system. Overworld visible day and night, with different encounters in each.
    This hack is based on the pokeemerald-expansion, and this hacks includes the features provided with this base. I have kept the QoL features and updates (e.g. evolution methods) as they are implemented there, for the sake of consistency. See the README on Github for the full list, which includes:
    • Physical/Special split
    • Fairy type
    • Updated damage calculations
    • HGSS-style Pokedex
    • Nature colors
    • Running indoors
    • Reusable TMs
    • ...and more
    Many thanks to pret and everyone at RHH - working with this project was a dream!

While the updated battle engine has support for battle gimmicks (Mega-Evolution, Z-moves, Dynamax), these aren't available within the game.

📸 Screenshots

Screenshot 2024-04-14 at 18.35.07.pngScreenshot 2024-04-30 at 00.15.27.pngScreenshot 2024-04-29 at 23.53.32.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-29 at 23.54.28.pngScreenshot 2024-04-13 at 19.09.20.pngScreenshot 2024-04-13 at 19.15.41.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-13 at 19.22.09.pngScreenshot 2024-04-29 at 23.52.50.png
    screenshot-2024-04-13-at-19-27-32-png.158043

💚 Credits

• pret, without whom this wouldn't be possible
    • RHH contributors, without whom this simple project would have felt impossibly hard
    • Xhyzi, whose day-night overworld effect I adapted in this hack
    • Lunos, whose contributions on this forum were invaluable many times
    And, of course, thanks to anyone here taking an interest - this project is for you! :)

🐛 Bugs and known issues

• Overworld still shows some Hoenn Pokemon
    • Some incorrect highlighting in the overworld at night
    • Some trainer intro text references Hoenn Pokemon
    • Nighttime effects don't apply to the cable car cut-scene
    Please let me know if (when!) you find any more!

🦔 Changelog

• Beta v4 (current): Enabled using evolution-held-items from the bag, added starters to post-E4 Safari Zone, swapped Pokemon used in Feebas mechanic
    • Beta v3: Update HM move effects, updated Pokemon overworld sprites
    • Beta v2: Increased availability of evolution items, new title screen
    • Beta v1: Initial release with Johto Pokemon

👾 Download

Apply the patch to "Trashman"

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-13 at 19.27.32.png
      Screenshot 2024-04-13 at 19.27.32.png
      42.5 KB · Views: 416
    • Screenshot 2024-04-13 at 19.10.14.png
      Screenshot 2024-04-13 at 19.10.14.png
      41.5 KB · Views: 23
    • Screenshot 2024-04-14 at 18.30.42.png
      Screenshot 2024-04-14 at 18.30.42.png
      52.5 KB · Views: 8
    Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen today
    do you patch the game with Trashman? cause I didn't get the logo for the Johto, it's just the normal Emerald one

Years
    • Seen today
    do you patch the game with Trashman? cause I didn't get the logo for the Johto, it's just the normal Emerald one
    Hey, sorry - yes, that's expected. I haven't updated the patch for download to include the new title screen.

Years
    • Seen today
    I've updated the OP with an updated download link, including the new title screen, and greater evolution item availability!

Years
    • Seen today
    Can you change your Pokemon's IV's in this hack?
    No - I don't intend to depart too far from the Gen 3 experience, and this isn't a difficulty hack, so that shouldn't be necessary. I would consider it for the post-game, if it were easy to implement.

Years
    • Seen today
    Updated to Beta v3, with new features:
    • Enabled decapitalization
    • Updated some overworld sprites
      • Vigoroth movers are now Machoke movers
      • The Sentret attacking Birch now matches in the overworld
      • Briney's Wingull is now a Pidgey
    • Made HM moves usable
      • For me, having to fit HM moves into your party is a fundamental part of the Gen 3 games. Of course, having to fit Flash or Rock Smash into a moveset can be pretty tedious. To that end, I have attempted to ease the burden and find a balance by making the HM moves somewhat usable in battle:
      • Cut is now a 40bp, 95acc Bug move that lowers opponent defence
      • Flash is now a Fairy type Mirror-shot (65bp, 85acc, 50% chance to lower opponent accuracy)
      • Rock Smash is now a 40bp, 95acc Fighting move that lowers opponent defence
      • Strength is now a Normal type Power-up Punch (40bp, raises attack)
      • Fly, Surf, Waterfall are unchanged
      • Dive is currently unchanged, but I am interested in how it might be differentiated from Waterfall - drop a reply if you have any ideas!
    • TMs are now re-usable
      • Unlike HMs, this never felt like a part of the Gen 3 experience that had interesting or rewarding trade-offs to me

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Dive is currently unchanged, but I am interested in how it might be differentiated from Waterfall - drop a reply if you have any ideas!
    Make Dive be similar in power to Dig and Fly, and Waterfall have its flinch chance. Sounds different enough to me.
    Strength didn't need to be changed in my opinion but it seems cooler now

Years
    • Seen today
    Strength didn't need to be changed in my opinion but it seems cooler now
    Thanks - it's not essential, but 80bp Strength more or less redundant when every mon can learn Frustration/Return for more power. This seemed like a useful move without being OP.

Make Dive be similar in power to Dig and Fly, and Waterfall have its flinch chance. Sounds different enough to me.
    Thanks - this is probably what I'll do, but having 2 physical water moves with a similar bp could be a little restrictive (especially with Surf potentially going on the same mon!)

JoeyZeed

Giant Rat
    Years
    • he/him
    • Seen yesterday
    Really liking this hack so far!!
    I really love the placement of all the pokemon, and the day/night cycle is really pretty!
    Do you think you'll put any of the Gen 2 music in the game? I think that would be sick!

Days
    • Seen today

Pokemon Emerald: Johto Edition

View attachment 158099

📖 What is this hack?

This is an Emerald rom hack, where the original game's Pokemon have been replaced with those from the Johto pokedex (with some modifications). The goal is to create a refreshed experience compared to the original Emerald game, while keeping the core experience of a mainline Gen 3 game. Kind of like a randomiser, but a little bit more thoughtful and cohesive.

This is not a difficulty hack. I have tried to keep the difficulty curve true to the original games. Due to the increased movepools and power creep of more recent generations, I have erred towards making bosses' parties and movepools better in order to maintain the original difficulty, but ultimately it's still a Pokemon game; it's not gonna be too hard.

I'm looking for feedback before polishing the game up and releasing, so if the above sounds like fun, have a go and drop your feedback in the thread :)

💫 Changes from the original game

The Hoenn Pokedex has been replaced by the Johto Pokedex. All Pokemon from the first 252 (i.e. Kanto to Johto, Bulbasaur to Celebi) are be obtainable aside from Lugia, Ho-Oh, Mewtwo, Mew, and the regional legendary trios. Later generation evolutions are also available (e.g. Leafeon, Magnezone, Kleavor, etc).

Pokemon have been placed in habitats that make sense both flavour-wise and difficulty-wise. Trainer battles have also been updated to use Pokemon from Johto and Kanto. I have also tried to highlight and give players a chance to use Pokemon that often aren't easily available in-game, and demote some Pokemon that are very common in other games. However, my first priority was always putting Pokemon into locations that made sense.

Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, and the Regi-trio retain their place within the story (in the place of Lugia, Ho-Oh, Mewtwo, Mew, and the regional legendary trios).

Regional formes are available in the post-game.

✨ Features

• Full Pokemon replacement, with wild encounters and trainer battles updated
    • Full Day/Night system. Overworld visible day and night, with different encounters in each.
    This hack is based on the pokeemerald-expansion, and this hacks includes the features provided with this base. I have kept the QoL features and updates (e.g. evolution methods) as they are implemented there, for the sake of consistency. See the README on Github for the full list, which includes:
    • Physical/Special split
    • Fairy type
    • Updated damage calculations
    • HGSS-style Pokedex
    • Nature colors
    • Running indoors
    • Reusable TMs
    • ...and more
    Many thanks to pret and everyone at RHH - working with this project was a dream!

While the updated battle engine has support for battle gimmicks (Mega-Evolution, Z-moves, Dynamax), these aren't available within the game.

📸 Screenshots

💚 Credits

• pret, without whom this wouldn't be possible
    • RHH contributors, without whom this simple project would have felt impossibly hard
    • Xhyzi, whose day-night overworld effect I adapted in this hack
    • Lunos, whose contributions on this forum were invaluable many times
    And, of course, thanks to anyone here taking an interest - this project is for you! :)

🐛 Bugs and known issues

• Overworld still shows some Hoenn Pokemon
    • Some incorrect highlighting in the overworld at night
    • Some trainer intro text references Hoenn Pokemon
    • Nighttime effects don't apply to the cable car cut-scene
    Please let me know if (when!) you find any more!

🦔 Changelog

• Beta v3 (current): Update HM move effects, updated Pokemon overworld sprites
    • Beta v2: Increased availability of evolution items, new title screen
    • Beta v1: Initial release with Johto Pokemon

👾 Download

Apply the patch to "Trashman"
    Enjoying it so far! Where can I find a razor claw?

Years
    • Seen today
    Really liking this hack so far!!
    I really love the placement of all the pokemon, and the day/night cycle is really pretty!
    Do you think you'll put any of the Gen 2 music in the game? I think that would be sick!
    Thanks!!

I love that idea - I think replacing all the music would be a bit too much (I thought about replacing the player/rival appearance with Gold/Crystal, but in the same way I think it would also be eroding the "Emerald" experience a bit too much), but I think for certain key battles or routes, that could be lovely. I will add it to my list :)

Enjoying it so far! Where can I find a razor claw?

Thanks!! I was worried about Sneasel/Weavile being too strong, so it's relatively well hidden (a better solution would probably be to place it behind an optional/challenging side-quest?). I would be very interested to know what you think about this?

Provided you are using v2 or v3 (saves should be compatible from v1), to find the razor claw:

Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Greeting, pretty good so far until the 6th gym, enemy parties and wild spawn variety is neat and creative. One small criticism is that maybe it would be better if Leader aces would be clean Johto Pokemon? I know Roxanne has a pre evo and giving her a full on Sudo might be too OP, but you could balance it around by not making it lvl 15 but 12 or 13 like her Geodudes. Or how about a Larvitar for her? Soudns neat. An Ampharos for Wattson might be also too powerful, but again, keeping its level a bit lower or reducing the number of his party members could do the trick and make it manageable. Or a Lanturn trying to kill off ground type counters for his team? For Flannery I would underlevel her Arcanine a bit and dont make it her ace, instead I would overlevel her Cyndaquil and make it into a Quilava at least - yes it would clash a bit with starter-rival selection but tbh it would also reflect the anime if im not mistaken? I think her Grandfather had a Typhlosion but that was so long ago when I watched.

Also, how do you evolve Scyther? Neither the Metal Coat or Linking cord is working for me and tried both levling up and straight up giving them to my Scyther? Either you forgot to edit its evolution method or its bugged... or im dumb somehow and its locked behind level up. But why would you place Metal coats in the overworld then.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen today
    One small criticism is that maybe it would be better if Leader aces would be clean Johto Pokemon?

Hi! Thank you for your feedback - this is great. I think your idea on leader aces makes a lot of sense. I will look at this for the next update.

Did you find Flannery's ace to be too strong and messing with the difficulty curve? I always felt that she was a disappointing character (weaker mons and overheat's stat drops made her feel less challenging than others), so did try to bump the difficulty a little bit. I am keen to correct that if I have gone too far in the other direction.
    Also, how do you evolve Scyther? Neither the Metal Coat or Linking cord is working for me and tried both levling up and straight up giving them to my Scyther? Either you forgot to edit its evolution method or its bugged... or im dumb somehow and its locked behind level up. But why would you place Metal coats in the overworld then.

Agh - sorry for this. Metal Coat (and other trade evo items) are supposed to work the same as the evolution stones (go to the menu > bag > items > metal coat > use > scyther). Have you tried this?

I was considering adding the option to evolve with level up while holding the item. I think it's more intuitive, but this method is the pokeemerald default and I think follows a precedent set by LA. Maybe the game should support both methods so nobody gets stuck?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Yeah uh that Arcanine was quite something with that stat restoring herb, caught me a bit off guard but I simply sacrificed a low level slave to tank the second full force blow, cause the first one did hella damage even on a Feraligatr. But then it was still a pain cause I think it had Morning Sun and the sunny weather numbed my water moves so I had to rely on my Gators Crunch to lower its defense and break the stall cycle with that. Was quite an entertaining fight tbh.. though it truly might be a teeny bit too much if you dont have a single counter or tank for it. I wouldn't necessarily change it unless some people actually complain.

I checked again and I cant "use" my Metal coat; I get the "dad says dont use this" quote. And levling up while carrying wont work. So you might check all trade/stone evos, either the Pokemon themselves or item effects.

Years
    • Seen today
    so I had to rely on my Gators Crunch to lower its defense and break the stall cycle with that.
    Yeah, that sucks lol. I'll look at changing that.
    I checked again and I cant "use" my Metal coat; I get the "dad says dont use this" quote. And levling up while carrying wont work. So you might check all trade/stone evos, either the Pokemon themselves or item effects.
    Thanks - I will check tonight and upload a fixed version.

Years
    • Seen today
    I've updated the ROM to v4 which fixes this issue - thanks for the heads up! :)

Back