• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon games should have more fashionable character designs

Jolene

Your huckleberry friend
Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024
    I have seen the screenshots for Pokemon Black and White and I am appalled that Ken Sugimori is still designing characters with backwards-facing baseball caps. They are so unfashionable.

I think that Ken Sugimori should work on designing more fashionable characters, then Pokemon might be held in higher regard by today's fashion conscious youth.

I have made two character designs which I think should be used in the next Pokemon game. Here they are:

Spoiler:

Do you agree that Pokemon character designs should be moving in this kind of direction?

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    I thought that the D/P/Pt designs were kinda fashionable. It's not a fashion show, it's a pokemon game so keeping the character designs simple would be best. But, that's just my thought.

SolarAbusoru

Go Go PokéRangers
    Years
  • Oh no, more fashion obsessers, leave Ken Sugimori to do what he pleases, the protagonists are meant to be casual not fashion-conscious

Years
    • Seen Aug 19, 2010
    I wouldn't mind the option to change my clothes at home, maybe picking from multiple outfits. (MAYBE A RED SOX BALLCAP THROWN IN THERE?) But, that guy in OPs post looks like a chick.

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
  • Dawn and Lucas were muy fashionable I think :) Especially Dawn. Maybe this could be a thread were we post what we want the Protagonists to look more like, then rate each others' ideas :) Then again, that might be more of a PokeTriva Thread. I will post something though. As for yours, they are too mature for Pokemon and I think Dawn already did the girl's style which I prefer over the guy's anyway.

Years
  • I've never seen anything wrong with the heroes' clothing. Besides, they're in a city/urban setting & normally kids wear their caps backwards.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • I wanna see the next generation trainers dressed like this:

Spoiler:

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    well the backwards caps are like a pokemon trainer signature..I think it's always gonna be with us. The character designs really aren't too bad. Lucas and Dawns' designs were amazing! I swear they got a designer working on the Champs-Elysées make them. Though, a little customization could have been considered considering they've been choosing the designs for us since the dawn of pokemon.
    I'm more concerned with how the gameplay is...so yeah the designs don't matter too much to me. I really don't like the girl's though, the hat just makes her head look huge.

Teto

- - wobbuffan. ☆
    Years
  • mm well i like those clothes .. but not for pokemon ;u;
    idk, it doesn't seem pokemon-ish. they look like they'd be for older
    characters, and the player characters are supposed to be like young
    right? ahah i dont know, but they don't seem like they'd wear them ouo;
    but i think it'd be cool if you could change their outfit. then they could
    wear things like that :D

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
  • Wait, you want to climb volcanoes, sift through deserts, trod through swamps, and romp around is abandoned buildings in that clothes?

Serene Grace

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
  • I wanna see the next generation trainers dressed like this:

Spoiler:
    Hey bruv, that's what I'm talkin' bout'. Get me homie'.

Srrs bsns tho, I think that the characters should be a bit more.. anime-ish. So they create an essence of realism at least.

Years
    • Seen May 8, 2010
    Oh I don't care about whether the characters are "fashionable" or not. I've heard it's a wonderful game and that's all I care about. ^^;

But of course, I DO care about the designs of the pokemon. I like interesting looking characters. It's what I've always loved about the franchise.

coolcatkim22

Team Rocket's Rockin'
    Years
  • Really? Backwards caps is the most out of date thing?
    What about Lyra's outfit? Are overalls still in style or something?

Besides, the outfits you depictied are good for going to the mall but not for traveling around in mountains.

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years

• Hey bruv, that's what I'm talkin' bout'. Get me homie'.

Srrs bsns tho, I think that the characters should be a bit more.. anime-ish. So they create an essence of realism at least.
    Nah man, my tings where itz at like... anyway, I agree.

I really liek Ethan's HGSS design, if I saw that outfit, I'd buy it :D (might just replace my me Red in my avvie with a me Ethan xD) and Lyra looks really good as well, I just thin kDawn beats her a bit. Ethan and Dawn FTW!

Anyway, here's "my tings", I the guy's one resembles Ethan's because his is that good:
    Spoiler:

Bare in mind, those are just sketches/my idea, not professional. I also made it so that, at least the girl's, could be what the 5th Gen ones actually look like. We know the guy has an open jacket os that's mine scratched off.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Leaf from FR/LG was very fashionable. The male protagonists, not so much.

If I had a choice, the female would be dressed as my OC trainer Lisa (seen in my sig) and the male would be dressed in a tuxedo, top hat, and monocle, and would have a handlebar mustache :p

shookie

Often scatters things.
    Years
  • Player characters are usually what, 10? 11? Not many 10 or 11 year olds are amazingly fashion conscious. I can see them wearing backwards baseball caps...heck, I go to school with guys that still wear hats backwards.
    I like what Sugimori does with the player characters. The clothes they wear look comfortable enough to run around in, but not to the point where they're just wearing sweatsuits or their underwear. He also modernizes what they wear, not in the sense that they're wearing modern brands, but you can tell just by looking at Red that little things have changed to keep him "updated."

If I have any complaint about outfits now, it's that Dawn (a la Platinum) looks like she'd be waaaaay too cold with such a short skirt, especially in places like Snowpoint. Then again, it is Pokémon, not like it's absolutely accurate.

amberrelf

~♥HalleluYah!(:
    Years
  • Seriously? You're on a Pokemon adventure, not a trip to the local mall. XD;
    No offense, but I don't think people really care what their Pokemon avatars look like.

Alexeon

← from acrøss T·I·M·E ☆
    Years
  • Am I the only one that likes how Lucas/Diamond looks in his scarf and beret-thingy? xD And it was a nice plus when Lucas and Dawn got outfit changes in the transition from Diamond/Pearl to Platinum.

I think all of the char designs so far have been great, and quite appropriate when accounting age, comfort, and the general thought of an anime/game franchise that focuses on children traveling the world, taming beasts with supernatural abilities, and thwarting the evil plans of your local criminal organization.

Back