• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Spinoff: Pokemon TCG: Neo (Final release)

I am thinking of replacing the Crystal Type ability with normal attacks, since it's bugged for 3/4 o

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bleedpark

Collector of Shiny Cardboard and Player of Hacks
Years
  • Just want to say that I am absolutely loving this rom hack. It has been something I have wanted for a long time. I do wish that I could play my old Entie/Magcaro deck or the super busted Riptide Feraligatr but that is a minor upset. I am just super happy to have gen 2 in the TCG games. Thank you for this.

Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2024
    Love the concept and the effort put into this. Three things:

1: The Dropbox link doesn't work. It says the file was deleted. I'm guessing you removed version 1.0 then neglected to update the link/file.
    2: What was the reasoning behind allowing Master Ball to draw a Pokemon from the entire deck? It makes more sense to limit it to a draw of 7 like the earlier Master Ball cards (if you can get the code to do that, of course.) The only Master Ball card IRL that lets you draw from the entire deck is an Ace Spec card, which you can only have one of in the entire deck.
    EDIT: Oh, doy. There's no other card that works the same way, so you'd have to do some (a lot of?) custom coding. Now, there is a properly-coded Master Ball in the sequel game, but I don't know if that would help you here.
    3: In case you haven't seen it, skateman222 went ahead and streamed the romhack. He spent time looking through the cards, giving his opinions on them, and playing some of the game.
    The video is at https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1716479680. He covers the romhack in two sections, separated by opening some card packs. The romhack sections are from about 0:08:00 to about 1:10:00, then from about 3:25:00 to about 6:00:00. I watched it at 1.5x speed, but then I watch most videos at that speed.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I tested this and I couldn't figure this one out, the ASM logic isn't very clear. It seems like messing with any part of the code breaks the game in some form or another. So, I just updated the game, it's ability is now the same as Retreat Aid from the original, reducing retreat cost by 1 instead of making it free.

Sorry about that. Fixed one line of code, it now works in the latest patch.

Thanks! I got the promo Entei and will put it to good use. I've collected almost all of the cards in the game sans a handful of them and this hack is really fun.

Years
  • this is an amazing hack, i love how challenging it is, have to ask though, can i start from any gym i like or there is a specific order?

Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2024
    Such great work!
    Would love to see a TCG2 version from you. :)

Years
  • Yo that deck sounds sick! Any chance of a list hook up? I had so many deck ideas from when I played competitive back when Neo Genesis dropped but the Macargo I played isn't in game nor the broken Feraligatr. I love me my toxic decks but I can't play them unfortunately :(

Sure! Its a crazy deck with just about everything in it so I don't know if its competitive but its really fun!

Elemental Legends deck

Pokemon; 22
    3x Entei (mystery), 1x Sneasel (laboratory), 1x Elekid (evolution), 3x Dratini (mystery), 2x Dragonair (mystery),
    2x Dragonite (mystery), 1x Cleffa (mystery), 2x Clefairy (mystery), 2x Clefable (mystery), 1x Togepi (laboratory),
    1x Togetic (colosseum), 3x Lugia (mystery)

Trainers; 19
    2x Professor Elm (colosseum), 2x Bill (evolution), 2x Pokemon Trader (mystery), 2x Energy Retrieval (colosseum),
    3x Energy Search (colosseum), 1x Scoop Up (evolution), 1x Computer Search (laboratory), 1x Pluspower (mystery),
    3x Potion (colosseum), 1x Full Heal (evolution),
    2x Master Ball (promotional; Ronald gives you one, another is hinted at by an npc in the fire club),

Energy; 19
    7x Fire, 6x Water, 6x Lightning

This list will surely change as I get more cards or others change. Lugia is the reason I built the deck and its attack is cool and powerful! Clefable and Togepi accelerate energy attachment plus there's Togetic for metronome/free retreat. Entei can use any energy as long as he discards a fire to attack. Dragonair heals everyone for 20 and Dragonite reduces retreat cost.

Cleffa draws more cards and sometimes gets energy in the discard for Lugia. Elekid and Sneasel are there just because they can surprise opponents with their different types. Potion got a buff and heals 30. Master ball is super overpowered at the moment.

Last edited:

Cataclyptic

Everything I say is a lie
    Years
  • Love the concept and the effort put into this. Three things:

1: The Dropbox link doesn't work. It says the file was deleted. I'm guessing you removed version 1.0 then neglected to update the link/file.
    2: What was the reasoning behind allowing Master Ball to draw a Pokemon from the entire deck? It makes more sense to limit it to a draw of 7 like the earlier Master Ball cards (if you can get the code to do that, of course.) The only Master Ball card IRL that lets you draw from the entire deck is an Ace Spec card, which you can only have one of in the entire deck.
    EDIT: Oh, doy. There's no other card that works the same way, so you'd have to do some (a lot of?) custom coding. Now, there is a properly-coded Master Ball in the sequel game, but I don't know if that would help you here.
    3: In case you haven't seen it, skateman222 went ahead and streamed the romhack. He spent time looking through the cards, giving his opinions on them, and playing some of the game.
    The video is at https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1716479680. He covers the romhack in two sections, separated by opening some card packs. The romhack sections are from about 0:08:00 to about 1:10:00, then from about 3:25:00 to about 6:00:00. I watched it at 1.5x speed, but then I watch most videos at that speed.

1) Just fixed it!
    2) Exactly correct. I am an artist, not a coder, I did all of this basically via experimentation. It's much easier to delete the coinflip function from the pokeball code than it is to code in Master Ball from TCG2. Especially since the pret file of TCG2 doesn't have that code.
    3) 0_0 Well I'll have to view it later...

this is an amazing hack, i love how challenging it is, have to ask though, can i start from any gym i like or there is a specific order?

Like the base game, you can challenge the gyms in any order. I believe the psychic gym needs you to beat 3-4 others before challenging it though. Aside from that, you have zero restrictions.

Such great work!
    Would love to see a TCG2 version from you. :)

Maybe in the future... for now, the TCG2 ASM pret file is woefully barren, and there's no way I could figure out how to code that unless the pret file gets finished.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Love the concept and the effort put into this. Three things:

Oh hey, thanks for watching! I ended up playing through the rest of it on an alt channel if anyone ever wanted to watch the rest of the playthrough as well: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1720228622

I really enjoyed the hack overall! Definitely felt like I cheesed my way through a ton of fights due to some basics still being a tad too strong imo, but ultimately ended up sweeping the Dome with a more intended strategy of building up a strong Stage 2. AI unfortunately felt too weak in the Dome compared to the vanilla game, but I understand how difficult it is to get AI to play new decks, especially with multiple different Energy types to account for. I'm certainly not looking forward to tackling that in my own hack. 😅 Will say though, the early Club Leader fights felt super strong in comparison and was a really fun challenge! Nikki was super tough for me and took multiple attempts and my Gene fight was one of the longest and most memorable TCG matches I've ever played C:

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Oh hey, thanks for watching! I ended up playing through the rest of it on an alt channel if anyone ever wanted to watch the rest of the playthrough as well: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1720228622

I really enjoyed the hack overall! Definitely felt like I cheesed my way through a ton of fights due to some basics still being a tad too strong imo, but ultimately ended up sweeping the Dome with a more intended strategy of building up a strong Stage 2. AI unfortunately felt too weak in the Dome compared to the vanilla game, but I understand how difficult it is to get AI to play new decks, especially with multiple different Energy types to account for. I'm certainly not looking forward to tackling that in my own hack. 😅 Will say though, the early Club Leader fights felt super strong in comparison and was a really fun challenge! Nikki was super tough for me and took multiple attempts and my Gene fight was one of the longest and most memorable TCG matches I've ever played C:

Same here. I'm right about to tackle the Dome and need to make a better deck as my main one probably won't cut it but I think the hack was good although I agree that the AI is incompetent at times in that when you do certain strats, they flat out give up. One example was the last fight I did at the Fire Club with the leader as I saved him for last and I essentially made him quit in that I played a card he had no clue what to do against and he just kept passing turns until I took his last prize card and won and before that point, he was whooping me lol. I had a bad start but recovered pretty quickly.

EDIT: Just finished the game and got the legendary cards and will likely spend time grinding the small handful I am missing for the sake of completion whenever. The finale with the last duels was awesome no thanks to a modified version of Bluelatios*'s Deck that I substituted a few cards in myself for my own purposes like Revive & Recycle. Lugia is a beast of a card man!

You also mentioned doing a hack yourself? What will be different in comparison to this one and Kanto TCG?

Last edited:
    Years
  • Amazing! I'm having lots of fun with it! Just two little spelling nitpicks I'm not sure if it was already addressed or not, sorry if it was, but Tyrogue is spelled "Tyrouge" xD Also I've seen an Omastar card with the attack Ancient Power that the text description says Amnesia.
    Talking about attacks, there's an Arcanine card with Growl, that usually has the effect of preventing damage, but this one forces the opponent to switch, I'm not sure about the original card but I feel it could be named Roar in the spirit of the games?..
    Anyway, just minor details, congratulations for this project!!

Cataclyptic

Years
  • Amazing! I'm having lots of fun with it! Just two little spelling nitpicks I'm not sure if it was already addressed or not, sorry if it was, but Tyrogue is spelled "Tyrouge" xD Also I've seen an Omastar card with the attack Ancient Power that the text description says Amnesia.
    Talking about attacks, there's an Arcanine card with Growl, that usually has the effect of preventing damage, but this one forces the opponent to switch, I'm not sure about the original card but I feel it could be named Roar in the spirit of the games?..
    Anyway, just minor details, congratulations for this project!!

Thanks for that. Corrected those two things just now. Omastar on the other hand, that one is intended- Ancientpower has the effect of Amnesia from the base game.

===========================

Thank you to everyone playing the game so far! As this is a balance hack, I may be nerfing normal Lugia in the future. It seems I may have gone too far in buffing it compared to its real card- I am thinking of changing its HP to 90 and its attack power to 60 or 70 to make it more fair.

I don't really see any other problem cards, but I'll keep a close eye on the comments to see if there are any cards that seem overpowered or underpowered.

Cataclyptic

Years
  • The Aerodactyl in Courtney's deck is weak to water, but the original printed version of that card is weak to grass. This means Courtney is more vulnerable to a water deck. I don't know if this was intentional or not. The retreat cost on the original is two, not one, but again I can't tell if that's an intentional change or not.

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Aerodactyl_(Neo_Revelation_15)

Both are intentional. I wanted to balance things in my own way, not just copy every single card verbatim, because that would only result in the same metagame as in real life… the one dominated by strong trainer cards and basic pokemon. Whether I succeeded or not I leave to all of you, but that's what I tried.

Though, based on some feedback, I think a balance patch is in order soon…

Last edited:

Cataclyptic

Years
  • A huge update was just implemented. We've got balance changes, bug fixes, a new poll, Transparency nearly breaking the game, the AI being the death of me as per usual and a pretty new animation.

A note about the balance changes: During conception, there were two things I was concerned with when making these cards: faithfulness to their original counterparts if possible and balancing. The former took precedent over the latter. But after looking the game a bit deeper, I decided to make balancing the cards a bigger priority than before, so these balance changes hopefully reflect this mentality.

Thanks everyone for all the feedback so far! I truly do appreciate it!!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen today
    Love the hack. Regarding set symbols, if you're still looking for them, the Bulbapedia pages for the sets have them on the top right corner.

EDIT: I realize you might have meant you can't find them in the game files. I took a glance at the decomp and it looks like they're in poketcg/src/gfx/duel/other.png but there's only room for 3.

Last edited:

Cataclyptic

Years
  • Love the hack. Regarding set symbols, if you're still looking for them, the Bulbapedia pages for the sets have them on the top right corner.

EDIT: I realize you might have meant you can't find them in the game files. I took a glance at the decomp and it looks like they're in poketcg/src/gfx/duel/other.png but there's only room for 3.

THANK YOU. I've been trying to find those stupid things since I started hacking this game a year ago. It is disappointing to hear (and confirm) that I can only have 3 set symbols when I used cards from 6 real life sets. Maybe I can make something work with it...

Years
  • I just want to say thank you so much for this project. I love this game since its release and 20 years later, I still have so much fun with it and I'm the happiest to see great people like you improving the game with such nice arts and some new features.
    Thank you again ^-^

Years
    • Seen Jun 4, 2023
    The hack looks good so far.

Btw, wondering, do you plan to add other types?
    Add more cards, etc?

That being said, just having made this hack is already very much appreciated. I am curious to see how this plays out. Thank you. :)

Back