• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Potential Spoilers? Sun and Moon to have PG 13 themes?

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    The two ratings E10+ and PG13 could be the two possible ratings as the rating of the game currently stands. Perhaps they might remove somethings to keep an E rating. As was said at E3 about the footage, things can change, and that applies to the rating too if GF and Nintendo want to.

Talon Flare

Learning to break kayfabe
    Years
    I guess that means we will have a chance to marry one of the gym leaders and have a child with him or her. I knew Pokemon Sun & Moon would be similar to Fire Emblem Conquest/Birthright.

Reactions: Z25

Z25

Team Player
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Aug 27, 2023
    I guess that means we will have a chance to marry one of the gym leaders and have a child with him or her. I knew Pokemon Sun & Moon would be similar to Fire Emblem Conquest/Birthright.

Well the logos are clearly edited from Birthright and conquest's
    :p

In reality though, this would sell so well. I hope we get our own gym. Which actually made me think. A gambling styled gym leader could almost work. Fire Red and Leafgreen had gambler classes. I wonder if this could indicate them coming back with a game corner as well. They'd appear in a small part of the game, but the presence could be there enough to make it affect the rating. A gym leader with a gambling theme could work as well. Maybe navigate a table using die and numbers.

Years
    The two ratings E10+ and PG13 could be the two possible ratings as the rating of the game currently stands. Perhaps they might remove somethings to keep an E rating. As was said at E3 about the footage, things can change, and that applies to the rating too if GF and Nintendo want to.

Pokemon's main audience is 7-10 year-olds and Sun & Moon having a rating that alienates that demographic would be bad news for sales, especially in Japan where there are other franchises Pokemon is highly competing with to win over fans. The kids who favor Yo-Kai Watch claim Pokemon is for older people and being a very repetitive format is already threatening sales and for Pokemon to bring content that skews towards older people will not bode well.

As Zoro said, there's the possibility of the Game Corner or Gambler trainer class returning. I'd much rather it be the latter because the Game Corner would not be nice for the PEGI classification in Europe, since PEGI's changes to classification were to blame for the axing of the Game Corner in the first place.

Years
    Pokemon's main audience is 7-10 year-olds and Sun & Moon having a rating that alienates that demographic would be bad news for sales, especially in Japan where there are other franchises Pokemon is highly competing with to win over fans. The kids who favor Yo-Kai Watch claim Pokemon is for older people and being a very repetitive format is already threatening sales and for Pokemon to bring content that skews towards older people will not bode well.

As Zoro said, there's the possibility of the Game Corner or Gambler trainer class returning. I'd much rather it be the latter because the Game Corner would not be nice for the PEGI classification in Europe, since PEGI's changes to classification were to blame for the axing of the Game Corner in the first place.

Pokemon is stuck between a rock and a hard place here. They'll existing fan base want the games to mature, however GF also would like to bring in more younger players into the series. They'll have to play a very fine juggling act here if they want to plase their existing audience, and at the same time gain a new one.

Speaking of Japan, considering that the population of that country is quickly aging we could see Pokemon and other games made for a Japanese audience try to appeal to older audiences.

Years
    As you said, it'll be hard to appeal to both sides of the spectrum. It's a challenge that a lot of video games face.

PkmnTrainerElio

♥ Jung Hoseok, Kim Namjoon and Park Jimin ♥
    Years
    Look, I don't see Pokémon Sun and Moon involving "Mild Language", "Mild Suggestive Themes" and "Use of Alcohol".

Since DPPt, the games have been "PG" in Australia and it's due to online play and "mild fantasy violence". There may be bottles that look like alcoholic drinks and maybe there will be a bit of violence and the suggestive themes could easily be women in bikinis.

But, it would be nice to see Pokémon appeal to the older fans, with mild language etc.

Maybe we'll see homosexual and/or transgender characters (as it is becoming more normalized now, as we see in Finding Dory and many other kids films/shows), this would have the fundamentalist/Westboro Baptist/Steven Anderson-like Christians attacking Pokémon, but, they always have, so it's nothing new.

Last edited:
    Years
    Look, I don't see Pokémon Sun and Moon involving "Mild Language", "Mild Suggestive Themes" and "Use of Alcohol".

Since DPPt, the games have been "PG" in Australia and it's due to online play and "mild fantasy violence". There may be bottles that look like alcoholic drinks and maybe there will be a bit of violence and the suggestive themes could easily be women in bikinis.

But, it would be nice to see Pokémon appeal to the older fans, with mild language etc.

The suggestive themes are likely the bikinis, since they are now more easily visible compared to previous titles. Alcohol and mild strong language would be pushing it too far since Australia wouldn't really want to be forced to slap an M rating (same for the US and Europe with their mature equivalents) on a Pokemon game for the first time ever.

PkmnTrainerElio

Years
    The suggestive themes are likely the bikinis, since they are now more easily visible compared to previous titles. Alcohol and mild strong language would be pushing it too far since Australia wouldn't really want to be forced to slap an M rating (same for the US and Europe with their mature equivalents) on a Pokemon game for the first time ever.

Exactly.

clbgolden

Swampert Fan
    Years
    • Seen Sep 22, 2019
    Can I have a link to this factsheet? I can't seem to find it on the Press Kit (I can only find a PDF version of it, and that doesn't show anything about the suggestive themes and such).

PkmnTrainerElio

Years
    As I said earlier, maybe they will bring in homosexual and/or transgender characters, it would be a BIG step for Pokémon and will probably be a controversial one too.

Years

Maybe we'll see homosexual and/or transgender characters (as it is becoming more normalized now, as we see in Finding Dory and many other kids films/shows), this would have the Christians attacking Pokémon, but, they always have, so it's nothing new.

"the Christians"? Not all of us Christians have attacked Pokemon, or even are against homosexuality and/or transitioning to a gender 'different' from the one one was born as.

Also, would having homo and/or trans characters really change the rating to a mature one? If so then...that's really sad...
    More often a show, game, etc. would have homosexual and transgender characters in more mature ratings as children shows tend to more heavily scrutinized compared to ratings higher than PG, where the so called moral guardians already know they can expect some something that they dislike. However, it's not a cause and effect thing.

clbgolden

Swampert Fan
    Years
    • Seen Sep 22, 2019
    As I said earlier, maybe they will bring in homosexual and/or transgender characters, it would be a BIG step for Pokémon and will probably be a controversial one too.
    I don't really think that would fall under suggestive themes (if that's what you were proposing). But I do feel like homosexuals would eventually appear in Pokemon, and may have already Wallace.

Years
    Serebii have now started picking up on this discussion as well. They think it would be very out-of-character to have a T-rated main series game (which would likely be 12+ for PEGI or M for Australia's system) to the point they're all trying to debunk this as fake.

As someone else mentioned, transgender characters could be a new concept that could end up controversial. Sun & Moon seem like they could be well on the way to being the first truly controversial Pokemon games, because of possibilities the games will be alienating its main demographic but also catering too much towards the adults to the point that kids aren't advised to play. Getting a T rating will definitely prove the controversy since we never get a Pokemon game that's above E (by ESRB standards).

clbgolden

Swampert Fan
    Years
    • Seen Sep 22, 2019
    Serebii have now started picking up on this discussion as well. They think it would be very out-of-character to have a T-rated main series game (which would likely be 12+ for PEGI or M for Australia's system) to the point they're all trying to debunk this as fake.

As someone else mentioned, transgender characters could be a new concept that could end up controversial. Sun & Moon seem like they could be well on the way to being the first truly controversial Pokemon games, because of possibilities the games will be alienating its main demographic but also catering too much towards the adults to the point that kids aren't advised to play. Getting a T rating will definitely prove the controversy since we never get a Pokemon game that's above E (by ESRB standards).
    By Serebii, are you referring to the forums or Serebii himself?

clbgolden

Swampert Fan
    Years
    • Seen Sep 22, 2019
    Forums, since I believe you pointed it out.
    Ah, thought so.

Yeah, I was the one to point it out to them IT WAS ME, DIO. I was hoping they'd have better reasons/explanations for debunking it.

PkmnTrainerElio

Years
    I don't really think that would fall under suggestive themes (if that's what you were proposing). But I do feel like homosexuals would eventually appear in Pokemon, and may have already Wallace.

They may have already started the homosexual/transgender characters back in Gen II, Gen V and Gen VI, because Will has been speculated to be transgender, people think Burgh is gay and there exists the woman in X and Y who was a black belt a year before she became whatever her trainer class is now, saying "quite the transformation" and in the Japanese version "the power of medical science is amazing".

shadowmoon522

Master of Darkness & Light
    Years
    • Age 33
    • PA
    • Seen May 27, 2024
    Nintendo picking up on the kids playing mature games thing? That is weird, but it has been a common sight in the video gaming community lately, although I still feel concerned for parents who don't like letting their kids near inappropriate stuff.
    from what i've seen in my years, the kids who get abstracted from such things either grow up to be idiots, jackasses, druggies or extremely sneaky. the purest ones are the easiest to corrupt after all. being over protective always back fires in some way or another.

I hope that the gambling idea is not gambling on battles. with more audiences and characters shown around the ring and the battles possibly getting bet on, it would be way too close to cockfighting or dog fighting, which is already something pokemon gets compared to in negative lighting.
    i'm hoping its the return of game corner
    If we do get a new gambling-based feature, I could imagine how the PEGI rating in Europe would be (since they were to blame for the Game Corner changes in HG/SS and the eventual phasing out of the facility) or even parents feeling concerned about their kids growing up into gambling addicts. It's going to heavily alienate the main child demographic if you ask me.
    you may take the gambling out of the game, but you cannot stop kids from betting their lunch money over pokemon battles.
    I don't think Pokemon would go that far. :x
    that far? maybe i should remind you of something
    Potential Spoilers? Sun and Moon to have PG 13 themes?

also, has no one though that there might be rating modes involved? nintendo & game freak are obviously aware that not all pokemon fans are little kids and a lot of us have been around since the first gen. they could have it so there's a watered down version for kids & a different version for everyone else mediated by age input or choice of rating at the start. their used to changing it up for different countries so whats to stop them from making it so such a thing is possible.

as for that bikini thing...
    this from the dub back when 4kids still had their grubby claws on the anime

if you can get away with that, then bikinis are no big deal.

Back