• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Project: Generation 6 for Pokémon Essentials (Pokémon sprites and PBS files)

DeKay

Mega Evolved
Years
    • Seen Oct 11, 2015
    Just tested it, and it happened, thanks.

Also, I was wondering if the Trainer battle intro would be like this in future releases:
    Spoiler:

We have a Battle Intro Scene but we decided not to include it into the Gen 6 AddOn.
    Therefore it will probably not be in future releases. But who knows.

This is purely a cosmetic change(one that you can get by playing around with the "vs. trainer" intro thing might I add), whereas the gen.6 project, as I understand it, is simply trying to emulate the battle mechanics of everything up the said generation.

But this is a project with 4th gen menus, a 5th gen battle scene, and 6th gen sprites! So I guess anything is possible lol
    We were working on a Screen Size and GUI Rework (basically everything except Tiles). But it became a LOT more work than expected (and I did way less than mej71 did). And since it's meant to be an AddOn and not a game on it's own we thought people will probably create their own GUI. That's why we didn't include any Graphical Changes except the 3D sprites (since they are part of the Gen 6 Battle System in some way - and it looks way better to have all the Pokemon in the same style - speaking of Megas etc.) and the Graphical changes that came from LukaSJ's Elite Battle System.

rigbycwts

Hmm, hmm.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 22, 2019
    We have a Battle Intro Scene but we decided not to include it into the Gen 6 AddOn.
    Therefore it will probably not be in future releases. But who knows.

We were working on a Screen Size and GUI Rework (basically everything except Tiles). But it became a LOT more work than expected (and I did way less than mej71 did). And since it's meant to be an AddOn and not a game on it's own we thought people will probably create their own GUI. That's why we didn't include any Graphical Changes except the 3D sprites (since they are part of the Gen 6 Battle System in some way - and it looks way better to have all the Pokemon in the same style - speaking of Megas etc.) and the Graphical changes that came from LukaSJ's Elite Battle System.
    I have an idea. How about a community-made graphic overhaul add-on? Just a suggestion.

LaDestitute

Razor Sharp
    Years
  • I have an idea. How about a community-made graphic overhaul add-on? Just a suggestion.
    I really have no scripting skill whatsoever (other than a little bit I picked up many years ago), but my strongest skills are graphical based, so I really would love to help on that front. Are we trying to emulate Generation VI's visual menus style (XY or ORAS?), or?

Luka S.J.

Jealous Croatian
    Years
  • I have an idea. How about a community-made graphic overhaul add-on? Just a suggestion.

"Community-made", that only Mej would end up doing. Right. Don't cloak requests under a "community" thing.

I really have no scripting skill whatsoever (other than a little bit I picked up many years ago), but my strongest skills are graphical based, so I really would love to help on that front. Are we trying to emulate Generation VI's visual menus style (XY or ORAS?), or?

No offense, but we have an abundance of people who's skills are "graphical based". The most time consuming (and annoying part) of changing all the interfaces is not making pretty pictures to use, but rather re-coding all the interfaces to utilize them. Stock Essentials with a different pallette/skin for the different systems, still looks/feels/works like stock Essentials. We don't need a kit to do that. So unless you can contribute to the actual development of the functionality of the kit, I doubt you can help.

mewlover22

Pokemon Creator
    Years
  • could i copy the moves script and abllites and evo methods from this pack im using fakemon and they won't work with this pack nor will my old battle sprites.

LaDestitute

Razor Sharp
    Years
  • could i copy the moves script and abllites and evo methods from this pack im using fakemon and they won't work with this pack nor will my old battle sprites.
    This is not a single plug and play script, so please don't try to use it as one. Many sections have been changed, so treat this as if it were an Essentials update and port your changes into it, not the other way around.
    What this means, in specific towards fakemon, you will have to port over all of their associated data (pokemon.txt, battler and icon graphics, tm.txt, etc) -AFTER- the last listed Pokemon in these files, and slightly edit your fakemon dex numbering accordingly with such things. So, put all of the associated data for your fakemon after #721 (which is Volcanion), so for example, after #721/Volcanion:

[722]
    Name=SomeFakemon
    InternalName=SOMEFAKEMON

722.png
    722b.png
    722s.png
    722sb.png

and so on.

Last edited:

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
  • The good thing about the newer versions of Essentials is that you can use internal names rather than numbers for filenames. For example:

SOMEFAKEMON.png
    SOMEFAKEMONb.png
    SOMEFAKEMONs.png
    SOMEFAKEMONsb.png

That way you don't have to rename all the files if the numbers happen to change.

mde2001

Pokemon Industrial Developer
    Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2016
    Hi everyone.
    This add on is fantastic for people like me who don't have the ability to sprite or make abilities. I just have one problem with the program which is that the battler sprites are a long line of the pokemon instead of an individual one so when I go into battle a line appears for both sides of the battle. I hope I'm explaining my problem okay.

I'm not sure if this is a bug- it's probably just my technological incompetence and is an easy fix. Any help would be nice.

Luka S.J.

Jealous Croatian
    Years
  • Hi everyone.
    This add on is fantastic for people like me who don't have the ability to sprite or make abilities. I just have one problem with the program which is that the battler sprites are a long line of the pokemon instead of an individual one so when I go into battle a line appears for both sides of the battle. I hope I'm explaining my problem okay.

I'm not sure if this is a bug- it's probably just my technological incompetence and is an easy fix. Any help would be nice.

The movie reel sprite format is made for my battle system. To provide efficient sprite animation. You can't use those sprites if you aren't using the gen 6 pack that comes with my system.

Last edited:

mde2001

Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2016
    The movie reel sprite format is made for my battle system. To provide efficient sprite animation. You can't use those sprites if you aren't using the gen 6 pack that comes with my system.

Thanks for your help. I downloaded the second version which includes the elite battle system (is that what you're talking about). I was just wondering what file your battle system is in and where it should be added to/ what is should replace.

mde2001

Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2016
    Hi,
    I replaced all of the files in the data folder with the new ones and now whenever I try to go into a wild encounter it displays this error message (in spoiler). I was wondering what this means. Thanks again.
    Spoiler:

Luka S.J.

Jealous Croatian
    Years
  • Hi,
    I replaced all of the files in the data folder with the new ones and now whenever I try to go into a wild encounter it displays this error message (in spoiler). I was wondering what this means. Thanks again.
    It means the file that the error says is missing, is missing.

mde2001

Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2016
    Thanks so much for your help. Everything is working now!

Luka S.J.

Jealous Croatian
    Years
  • I managed to break the Safari Zone (again), when I added the dynamic weather. I'm not sure if you saw/noticed it, but for anyone who wants the fix, go to the AnimationPlayer of my battle system and change the line 28 to this
    Code:
    if !@safaribattle && (@animweather.nil? || @battle.weather!=@animweather) && USENEWUI

Last edited:

rigbycwts

Hmm, hmm.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 22, 2019
    Noticed a typo upon activating Intimidate:
    Spoiler:

It should be "{Pokemon}'s Attack fell!"

Delusions of Originality

good night, sleep tight
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Apr 17, 2024
    Sorry in advance for the long post; if there's a better way to report multiple bugs in the future, let me know!

Found some typos, errors and missing things. I'm using v1, although I assume most of these issues are also in v2. I don't have the latest patch applied just yet, but I do have the one prior to it; if any of these have been fixed already then don't mind me, but it doesn't sound like the latest patch applies to most of what I found, so I figured there was no harm in mentioning these just in case.

I think I've got fixes/updates for most of them here. Fair warning that I'm still a novice with Ruby/RGSS (most of my experience is in other languages), but I've tested my changes and they should work. That said, if there's a better/less kludgy way to handle them, or if it turns out I screwed something else up, don't hesitate to actually fix it correctly.

1. Defog isn't using its Gen 6 effect (also clears entry hazards on user's side; I tested it in-game and it actually doesn't seem to remove the user's screens, even though Bulbapedia and others currently claim it does). It also doesn't display any messages at all when it's used, something is wrong with the evasion stat drop that causes it to not trigger ability popups like Defiant, and much of the code is repeated for some reason (as both an effect and an additional effect). It looks like it was left unchanged from v15.1 Essentials. I've put together a new version that uses only the pbEffect section and has all the missing effects/messages; if the pbAdditionalEffect part of it is actually necessary, feel free to put it back with whatever modifications it needs. Fix here.

2. Attract throws an error when used against an Oblivious Pokémon (don't recall what it was, exactly) while EFFECTMESSAGES is on; also, Captivate is missing EFFECTMESSAGES text when used against Oblivious. Attract is fixed here, Captivate here.

3. Powder works, but it displays almost no messages, and the one message it does have accidentally refers to the wrong Pokémon. I dug up the correct messages and added them in: PokeBattle_MoveEffects edits here, PokeBattle_Battler edits here. The only thing I couldn't figure out how to change is the animation that plays when it activates; for some reason it looks like a stat drop, and a Tackle starburst or damage flash would probably make more sense in lieu of an actual explosion (provided by either the individual game dev or by All Animations, presumably). Not a huge deal, though.

4. Frisk is also missing its Gen 6 effect; it's now supposed to reveal the items held by all opponents, not the single random opponent of previous gens. Update here.

5. Grass Pelt's effect is currently wrong; it should increase Defense while Grassy Terrain is active, but as written it increases physical damage taken while the battle is happening on grass/tall grass terrain tiles. It also seems a bit odd that the check happens in the section for damage multipliers rather than defense calculation. In my copy, I commented out the original version and added a new one directly below the step where Sandstorm's SD boost for Rock-types is applied to the calculation. I'm not sure whether defense or defmult is the better option to use there, though, and it's also possible that the damage multiplier section is the correct place to handle this; this way does seem to work, though. Fix here.

The other things I found are either small enough to fix without code samples (although I can provide my changes for those, too, if you need them) or I just don't know how to fix on my own:

6. Some internal names are misspelled (these may also be v15 typos, though):
    ---in PokeBattle_Battle's pbUnloseableItem def, Heracross and Houndoom's internal names are spelled :HARACROSS and :HOUNDOM
    ---in PField_BerryPlants, PokeBattle_MoveEffects and PokeBattle_AI, Jaboca Berry's internal name is spelled :JACOBABERRY; similarly, also in BerryPlants, it says "Jacoba Berries" instead of "Jaboca Berries"

7. On that note, the code for Natural Gift in PokeBattle_AI is still using the old 60/70/80 power brackets for Natural Gift instead of the new 80/90/100 that's used in MoveEffects.

8. Taunt's duration in MoveEffects should be 3 turns now, not 4, and Geomancy should be added to Sleep Talk's two-turn move blacklist.

9. A few missed move and ability name updates in the PBS files: AncientPower should be Ancient Power, SolarBeam > Solar Beam, SonicBoom > Sonic Boom, Self Destruct > Self-Destruct, Softboiled > Soft-Boiled, LightningRod > Lightning Rod and Compoundeyes > Compound Eyes. Additionally, Smelling Salts and High Jump Kick are still using their old internal names; obviously the end players will never see those, but I did notice that Feint Attack's internal name had been updated and so figured I'd point those two out as well.

10. Noble Roar's code in MoveEffects looks a little odd and has messages about stats "not going any higher". Technically it works, although it doesn't display any messages once the target hits -6/-6. It looks like it was maybe copied from Work Up, since Work Up affects the same stats? Just to keep it consistent with the behavior of other stat-dropping moves I would suggest re-copying and editing it from Tickle instead (minus the part about being blocked by Substitute), just changing Defense to Special Attack.

11. Soak currently displays a "But it failed!" message instead of a "{1} transformed into the {2} type!" message even when it works. In the if block that checks whether the target is already a pure Water-type, the condition accidentally uses single equals signs instead of double. Adding the missing equals signs fixes it. I did notice that Soak doesn't currently seem to do anything about targets previously hit with Forest's Curse/Trick-or-Treat, though; it doesn't look like it has any code that overwrites or removes the target's third type, which it should.

12. That said, Forest's Curse and Trick-or-Treat don't seem to work in the first place. They display their success messages when used, but if you actually try attacking the affected target afterward its weaknesses and resistances haven't changed. I don't know what all was changed to allow for temporary third types, so I don't have any ideas about why it's currently broken.

13. In PokeBattle_Battle around line 2672, there's an extra "{1} sent out {2}!" line that causes the first trainer in a two-trainer double battle to "send out their pokémon twice" (just displays the message twice, doesn't actually send out twice). Commenting it out/deleting it fixes it, although I'm not sure if it needs to be there for some other purpose.

14. Triggering Competitive or Defiant with Intimidate (in PokeBattle_BattlerEffects, the pbReduceAttackStatStageIntimidate def) throws an error that iirc causes the stat increase to be skipped. I was able to stop it by deleting the "attacker" parameter of their respective pbIncreaseStat calls.

15. Triggering Contrary with Intimidate (in the same script section/def) throws an error that crashes the game. It seems to be because Contrary's stat increase call is using the wrong parameters: I got it working correctly with pbIncreaseStat(PBStats::ATTACK,1,true,true,nil,true) instead of the current pbIncreaseStat(PBStats::ATTACK,1,false,true,attacker,true).

16. Lastly, when battling a trainer who switches pokémon (as in withdraws their active battler and replaces it, not a new sendout after I knock something out; KO sendouts are fine), the switchin appears much lower on the screen, often hidden completely behind my pokémon's HP bar, than a regular sendout. I've got screenshots here:

Spoiler:

I've tried looking through the battle scene scripts, but they're a bit harder for me to understand than the move logic, and at the moment I can't find anything that pinpoints where or why this might be happening. Any ideas?

---

Tangentially-related question: Is there any particular interest in having the messages in the kit, or at least the battle-related messages, match up properly with the messages actually used in the Gen 6 games? Aside from a few non-critical typos ("But if failed!" in a few places, "It doesn't effect {1}..." in a few others, some missing punctuation, things like that) the included move and effect messages certainly get the job done, but I'm kinda nitpicky and wanted the messages for my projects to use the up-to-date/accurate Gen 6 text rather than Gen 4/5 or substitutions wherever possible. I started out just correcting something that looked as though it was worded oddly, but I ended up testing a lot of different moves and effects in my XY/ORAS copies to dig up the actual in-game messages used for them; some of the changes are minor but overall they should match the messages currently used pretty thoroughly, and quite a few typos have been fixed as well. (The unnecessary obsessive combing-through for correct messages was how I found several of those actual bugs above; dunno that most people would've even looked at Powder otherwise, heh.) The only messages I'm pretty sure are not accurate are the ones for Aroma Veil blocking its various related moves; the messages needed to change because they're worded awkwardly, but I don't have an Aroma Veil Pokémon to test in a real game and therefore can't see what actually happens when it triggers. I used my best guess for those instead.

I doubt I've found everything, but I have found a lot, and I've been taking notes about what I've changed and where so I could reapply them to my own projects after each update. If you'd like, I could download a clean copy of the latest version of the kit, then apply my updates to it and share files with the changed script sections so you can just paste them wholesale into both versions of the kit. Alternatively, I could share another Gist that just contains the changes themselves and notes where they should go, if you'd rather apply them all yourself just to be sure nothing's broken. Let me know if you're interested.

Sorry for all the nitpicking; the kit as a whole is really impressive! I hope these fixes/bug reports are helpful. :)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2021
    I love this kit for adding Gen 6 and the new battle system and I'm testing v2 right now. I'm not a good programmer (scripting) and because of this kit I'm happy to see the Kalos Pokémon in the kit. I wanted the new Pokémon as well the new battle mechanics and it got fulfilled.

Last edited:

mewlover22

Pokemon Creator
    Years
  • What this means, in specific towards fakemon, you will have to port over all of their associated data (pokemon.txt, battler and icon graphics, tm.txt, etc) -AFTER- the last listed Pokemon in these files, and slightly edit your fakemon dex numbering accordingly with such things. So, put all of the associated data for your fakemon after #721 (which is Volcanion), so for example, after #721/Volcanion:

[722]
    Name=SomeFakemon
    InternalName=SOMEFAKEMON

722.png
    722b.png
    722s.png
    722sb.png

and so on.

I already did that the issue is there old gba style fakemon and don't look right in battle besides i just want the moves and ability's.

Back