• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Protagonist designs shown

Spoiler:

Even more stuff! Do you guys like these two? Their outfit color supposedly changes depending on the version. What do you think their names will be?

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
    With them going back to colors, I'd really love them to go back to being Scarlet and Violet, but both are kinda feminine names. If they are Spanish, it is possible they could be spanish based names.

One could definitely be called Coco while the other is Mirabel.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Finally! They don't have silly gender differences! Aaaaaa awesome

As long as it's possible to customize clothing during the game because dear god that's not a good look there lmao.

Years
    I don't like them. They look too cartoonish, but more than that they look too childish. More than gen 8 models imo. I also don't like their outfits, so idk. I don't like them tbh. I also don't like the name of these games. Especially in Italian, they sound quite awful lol.

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    They honestly look so young :( We got to look a lot more mature in PLA so it's slightly jarring that they're younger. Customisation pleaseee!

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Online now
    Revealed different colors for Pokemon Violet.
    Protagonist designs shown

Dislikes these. Looks even younger than previous games. Is not a fan of the floppy hat either.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
    For me, the hat looks much better in game than in the art. Overall, while not a huge fan of the clothing, aside from the shorts, they look much better in game.

However once again, the male character looks more generic than the female. Once again, I am drawn more to the female protag than the male.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I'm glad they decided to rid themselves of any pointlessly gendered attributes.. but dang they look young! I get they're only supposed to be 10(?) but nowadays it seems like even toddlers are getting their Pokédex's lol.

Years
    The Violet versions are slightly better than the Scarlet ones but these look like two kids who just graduated kindergarten and got to choose their own clothes for the first time. :'')

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    They look like kids in middle school. They also look a little too plain for me? Well, I guess that they have to grow on me. I really don't care we're playing young preteens/teenagers again since Pokemon's main audience in children, so.

Also I didn't notice that the girl was wearing pants until Riki pointed out, so it's cool they're not forcing the girl to wear a skirt.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    The base design of the player characters hasn't really mattered to me for a while since customization has solidified itself as a thing in Pokemon, it doesn't really matter if they look good or bad when you can change much of the appearance (with BDSP being somewhat of an exception given the very limited options in that).

But it'd be nice for once to have player characters that are like...not less than half my age. blahblahblah tradition blahblahblah pokemon is a kids game, I want the ability to make the obviously intended self-insert character be that

not that they have to make them like 30, just like gimme age options here

Years
    I like that the outfits are the same for each character. I don't the outfits but the characters designs themselves don't bother me. Kids start their adventures at 10 and it's always been that way, save Unova, where it's 11.
    Plus, I imagine you'll be able to switch it up anyway.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
    I like that the outfits are the same for each character. I don't the outfits but the characters designs themselves don't bother me. Kids start their adventures at 10 and it's always been that way, save Unova, where it's 11.
    Plus, I imagine you'll be able to switch it up anyway.

Actually it hasn't, it has just been assumed 10 because of the anime. I don't remember Gens 1 and 2, but Hoenn and Alola was 11. Kalos and Unova were both 14. PLA was 15 and Diamond and Pearl I am not sure about. Galar also seemed older.

But it has never been outright started outside of the anime that they are 10. So I agree, it be nice if they looked a bit more mature like Kalos, Galar and Unova.

Years
    It doesn't change the fact that they are kids and are allowed to look like kids. 14 and 15 are still kids. The Pokemon protags have always been kids and there's nothing wrong with that.
    EDIT: One thing I agree with though is that the characters seem rather plain compared to the others, and aren't very expressive.

Last edited:
    Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Yeah, the lack of expressiveness is a bit of a downer, but I think it can really turn around with trainer customization.

Anxiety's cut your blood Chasing all your ghosts
    Years
    • Seen Nov 3, 2023
    Not really a big fan but we might get trainer customization so it will be like whatever to me lol

Back