• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Protagonist designs shown

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
    I don't really think it is a might at this point. I know Galar was a bit iffy, but we've went 3 generations and two remakes and 3 other games with character customization, though the remakes are more limiting. So I think we will have, 100% more clothing we can get as well as hair styles.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
    Assuming by the designs, or rather the lack thereof, I take it that there is definitely player customization as these definitely look more like blank slates than anything else.

As for the base designs if you could even call it that, well, am I the only one who prefers the male protag? If only because he has the better face. But then again I honestly generally prefer the male protags with few exceptions…

Years
    For me, the hat looks much better in game than in the art. Overall, while not a huge fan of the clothing, aside from the shorts, they look much better in game.

However once again, the male character looks more generic than the female. Once again, I am drawn more to the female protag than the male.
    Imo, they're too similar for either to look less generic than the other.

As a side tangent I get a bit annoyed when people pick the female protagonists because they have a "better design". I know those guys just want something more "pleasing" to look at while they're playing (half-joking here).

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I could bear the school uniforms which I'm not a fan of, but seriously get shorts out of my sight, I don't care how comfy and easy to wear they are 🙃

When I don't like the male character's costume (well, in this case I don't like either) I may pick the female character because there's usually more customization options.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
    Yeah. Most of the clothing just don't look 100% right on males. Unova and Kalos I think did wonderful with the male protag and the clothing for males in Kalos actually looked nice. In Alola, everything just looked the same and was bland. Galar was ok, but everything was just to fancy like. I did really love the male clothing in Arceus, but once again the hair was the same copy and paste hair styles while the female character got a lot of unique looking ones.

The female always has more variety and options while the male character always seems to have a single type of clothing.

Whiteeyes1989

Normal/Dark -type
    Years
    While it is certainly no Scottish Trainer, it's certainly better than chicken hat, but overall I'll have to put them in the bland "oh yeah they exist" category. Thankfully trainer customization is already confirmed, even if we haven't seen it yet, so having inoffensive outfits that don't feel bad to change out of while not being so bad you hate that they show up in all the official stuff feels like a good balance to aim for. Now if only they didn't look like they were excited for their first day of third grade. I know they're all kids, but I prefer the teens because it feels a lot more reasonable for them to be out on their own, like a rite of passage or being a sports enthusiast or someone who is training to be an athlete as a career. It feels more reasonable as you feel they can be more responsible and mature and able to handle themselves a lot better.

Back