• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Quick Questions & Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.

chestertagat

Dumbest Person in the World.
Years
  • Hello guys , Just asking if anyone knows how to fix these error i get in G3HS , It is about a malformed INI , after i insert a few new Mons (meaning it happens when i add the 4th new mon or the 5th its Random (Expanded Mon ) I know that i repointed so many original data like Moves , Animations , etc , But im very sure that i put all the New offset on the ini , Please anyone :)
    Thanks in Advance .

Last edited:

C me

Creator of Pokemon League Of Legends
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2021
    Is there a way to disable battle animations in Emerald? I want to have them disabled (because they don't match the moves) before I get to change them then I'll reenable them.

Le pug

Creator of Pokémon: Discovery / Fat Kid
    Years
  • Is there a way to disable battle animations in Emerald? I want to have them disabled (because they don't match the moves) before I get to change them then I'll reenable them.

Step 1) Open Google
    Step 2) Enter "how to disable battle animations in pokemon emerald"
    Step 3) Look at first few pages ... first one does the trick:
    OCqiG.jpg

Step 4) Well it had to of been mentioned somewhere on the page, right? Read and scroll to find until ...
    Pe2hq.jpg

Step 5) Profit

You should know by now how to navigate the forums too if Google is too broad for you and if it is sometimes just add "pokecommunity" to the end of the search. One of the rules is to SEARCH for your problem first before you make it apparent. This is something that has been figured out over a year ago that you could've easily found with a search. Next time just search before you ask.

Also here is the thread so you don't have to google it this time: click me

DoesntKnowHowToPlay

Tiny Umbrella with Lots and Lots of Good
    Years
    • Seen Feb 24, 2024
    Is there a way to disable battle animations in Emerald? I want to have them disabled (because they don't match the moves) before I get to change them then I'll reenable them.

That's actually an option in-game that you can set, if the rom's just for your personal use. If not, it's trivial to just make every animation point to Pound. The attack animation table is at x2C8D6C in Emerald, and Pound should be the first two entries (move 0 shares the animation).

Etherion

Hey guys, so umm, this may seem vague but, can you make a TCG game using Gen 3 games as its rombase?

Where can I find some tilesets for Pokemon Emerald, maybe something Gen 5-esque?

Is there like, a .zip file containing everything you need to start hacking?

Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2021
    First time posting here :3

Hey guys, so umm, this may seem vague but, can you make a TCG game using Gen 3 games as its rombase?

Where can I find some tilesets for Pokemon Emerald, maybe something Gen 5-esque?

Is there like, a .zip file containing everything you need to start hacking?

1) You can, with lots of ASM. If you're new you'd be better off trying something simpler at first.

2) Pokecommunity, deviantart, on the internet. There's no one place with all the tilesets you could possibly want, you'll just have to look around for them.

3) I don't believe so, however there are many tutorials for starting out both in the Beginners Lounge and the Tools and Tutorials section.

Years
    • Seen Aug 27, 2016
    Hi can someone pls tell me how to read variables in textbox
    So far all i got:
    #org @start
    addvar 0x4015 0x1
    buffernumber 0x0 0x800D
    msgbox @test 0x6
    release
    end

#org @test
    = \v\h02 total points.
    But i want to read the total amount stored in that variable and not 1 increment that was given.
    Can someone please direct me to a solution cheers.

Years
    • Seen Nov 16, 2015
    Hacking Red version.

1. Is there a way to bypass trade evolutions and make them level up evolutions instead? (eg. Haunter evolves into Gengar by leveling up instead of trading).

2. Is there a way to make every move into a TM, thus having 161 TMs? (Yes, even Splash)

Last edited:

C me

Creator of Pokemon League Of Legends
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2021
    That's actually an option in-game that you can set, if the rom's just for your personal use. If not, it's trivial to just make every animation point to Pound. The attack animation table is at x2C8D6C in Emerald, and Pound should be the first two entries (move 0 shares the animation).

That's what I was thinking of doing, it's just going to be tedious to do that to 510 moves. But thanks.

LilBueno

Boy Wonder
    Years
  • I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but it is just a quick question:
    For someone completely new to hacking that just started learning the VERY basics: what's the best way to plan out a hack and work on it? I know the overall story I want, basic features, and some of the things I want to do.
    However, I'm not sure if I should start with maps, sprites, events, etc.
    Should I work little by little (map the first few locations, script the events for those areas so they're playable/testable)
    or
    Get as many of the maps done as possible, then events, and so on and fill in the gaps later?
    I figured I should save the graphics stuff for later and simply work on the "skeleton" of the hack first.

I know most people will have their own process, but I'm stuck on where to start.

EDIT: Also, for planning purposes: what's a good number of locations assuming one route (or dungeon) between Cities/Towns?

Last edited:

Sayuri

人生忘れられた
    Years
  • I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but it is just a quick question:
    For someone completely new to hacking that just started learning the VERY basics: what's the best way to plan out a hack and work on it? I know the overall story I want, basic features, and some of the things I want to do.
    However, I'm not sure if I should start with maps, sprites, events, etc.
    Should I work little by little (map the first few locations, script the events for those areas so they're playable/testable)
    or
    Get as many of the maps done as possible, then events, and so on and fill in the gaps later?
    I figured I should save the graphics stuff for later and simply work on the "skeleton" of the hack first.

I know most people will have their own process, but I'm stuck on where to start.

EDIT: Also, for planning purposes: what's a good number of locations assuming one route (or dungeon) between Cities/Towns?

I would check out Lost Heart's tutorial that he's writing; it should answer some of your questions.
    As for what to do first, I usually (I'm new to hacking as well, mind you) create a map and script the events in that one map first, then move on to the connecting maps. Like you said, though: most people have their own way of doing it, so it's up to you to decide how you think it will work best.

Uncommon

Oozma Kappa
    Years
  • For someone completely new to hacking that just started learning the VERY basics: what's the best way to plan out a hack and work on it?

I would check out Lost Heart's tutorial that he's writing; it should answer some of your questions.

Seconding this answer. Here's a link to Lost Heart's tutorial.

I personally feel that FireRed had great pacing/density of events, so I try to mirror its number of significant locations, major events, etc.

chestertagat

Years
  • Hacking Red version.

1. Is there a way to bypass trade evolutions and make them level up evolutions instead? (eg. Haunter evolves into Gengar by leveling up instead of trading).

2. Is there a way to make every move into a TM, thus having 161 TMs? (Yes, even Splash)

What are you hacking? FireRed(gba) or Red(gbc)

chestertagat

Years
  • Guys Hello again its a problem regarding G3hs When i test my newly added mon in my game and catch it the screen hangs at Grassland Unknown Pokemon ??????????????????? .

Anybody who knows how to fix these ? TIA

Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2021
    Guys Hello again its a problem regarding G3hs When i test my newly added mon in my game and catch it the screen hangs at Grassland Unknown Pokemon ??????????????????? .

Anybody who knows how to fix these ? TIA

This is just a total guess because I've never expanded Pokemon, but perhaps your new Pokemon don't have a habitat?

chestertagat

Years
  • This is just a total guess because I've never expanded Pokemon, but perhaps your new Pokemon don't have a habitat?

That is what i suspect . Cause in G3hs i don't see any Add new Habitat page or Repoint for new Habitat , The only method i see is removing an habitat from an existing old Mon and replace it with the new ones (If i do these the same thing will happen in the old mons that i removed the habitat . if only someone can help me with these . I don't know how they do it (649 patch) giving Expanded mon individual habitats .
    Please somebody and thanks Crunch . Do you know any method to fix these ? from Tools to Hex Editing (cause i can't deal with ASM yet. I'm planning on adding 770 Pokemons on my hack (That's the total number of pokemons + Mega's up to now) Thanks in Advance.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 14, 2020
    Hello

I'm adding new tilesets right now and I'm having issues with the palettes. Few Questions:
    1) Are there any tilesets I should not be changing? I'm asking this on the off chance that there is a tileset that I change and that ruins the whole game, kinda like accidently using certain flags and vars that you shouldnt be using.
    2) From what I can tell, there are some palette numbers that are connected to tileset 0 and some that are not connected to tileset 0, can I get a list of which palettes are connected to which tilesets and vise versa. The reason why I asked is because I changed palette 5 on tileset 3, then that also changed palette 5 for tileset 0 so I want to know what's up.
    3) Is there anyway to add new palettes? If no it's not he biggest deal as long as I can figure out question 2.
    4) Anyone just have a sold tutorial for making new tilesets? That would be a great help!

Please reply if you can answer any of these questions!

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2021
    Hello

I'm adding new tilesets right now and I'm having issues with the palettes. Few Questions:
    1) Are there any tilesets I should not be changing? I'm asking this on the off chance that there is a tileset that I change and that ruins the whole game, kinda like accidently using certain flags and vars that you shouldnt be using.
    2) From what I can tell, there are some palette numbers that are connected to tileset 0 and some that are not connected to tileset 0, can I get a list of which palettes are connected to which tilesets and vise versa. The reason why I asked is because I changed palette 5 on tileset 3, then that also changed palette 5 for tileset 0 so I want to know what's up.
    3) Is there anyway to add new palettes? If no it's not he biggest deal as long as I can figure out question 2.
    4) Anyone just have a sold tutorial for making new tilesets? That would be a great help!

Please reply if you can answer any of these questions!

1) You can change pretty much anything. Animations are a bit tricky, so I'd keep doors etc. for later. When it comes to outdoor tiles, you can change everything, I haven't messed with Pokemon center tiles yet so maybe there are issues with the blinking effect there, but that definitely has been changed before.

2) Palettes 0-6 are for your primary tileset, 7-12 for the secondary tilesets which are used for individual maps. If you change pal 0-6, it affects all outdoor maps that use tiles from the primary tileset.

3) As far as I know, you have to work with these 12.

Lycanroc

under the sun
    Years
  • I'm helping make the maps for Shadow Hoothoot's hack, can someone help me find some New Bark Town tiles (and preferably other parts of Johto) in third-generation style? Google didn't help. Thanks.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back